Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Okay I'm scratching my head on this and I have a couple questions for True skate owners... How hard should it be to put the skate on pre-bake, and has anyone tried the TF9 goalie skates yet? Idk if True has fixed their sizing issues or if it's just me but I tried them on and they fit true to me, in fact I actually went UP a size from my Bauer Elites (2013 version) in 7D. My LHS just got the Trues in and after reading through the comments in this thread I walked in expecting to possibly go down to a 6.5 or a 6 and literally could not even get my foot into the 7.5, even with a shoe horn.

I tried an 8R and it fit snug but comfy with about a half inch of room to spare in the toe box, which to me, seems a little bit long- my toes just brush the toe box in my Bauers when I flex forward. But like I said, I could not squeeze my foot into the 7.5  TF9 at all. Granted, I did not bake the 7.5 but it did not feel like that would have helped. They weren't hard to get on unbaked, they were impossible. 

I baked the 8's and they felt incredible. I tired every other skate in the store- 3s Pros, Vapors, Jetspeeds, AS1's, and the new Bauer Elites, all in size 7 and 7.5 and they all felt good, but the Trues in 8R felt the best. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried the goalie skates and found this to be the case as well or what because my foot is telling me the 8 is perfect but literally everyone else has said they've had to size down, so I'm second guessing myself. 

Never tried the goalie skates and cannot speak to the sizing. It's possible they did adjust the sizing from the original player skate release.

For me, I wear a 9 Bauer Supreme and I fit an 8 or 8.5 tf9. I can put on the 8.5 without baking, but not the 8. To get the 8 on I had to bake them a bit and take out the tongue. I ended up going with the 8.5 because they're more comfortable, but if I were playing competitively and wanted the extra performance I would go with the 8, even though I couldn't get them on initially. So it's definitely possible that a 7 or 7.5 might fit you, but you might have to heat them a bit to find out

• Like 1

When I first got my TF9’s i went down a half size from my Bauer size and I could barely squeeze my foot into them pre-bake. I was definitely worried they would be way too small. Baked them and they opened up and they fit absolutely perfect. With Trues, I think if the skate has room or fits like you’re used to pre-bake, it’s going to be too big for you post-bake 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chicknpawks said:

Okay I'm scratching my head on this and I have a couple questions for True skate owners... How hard should it be to put the skate on pre-bake, and has anyone tried the TF9 goalie skates yet? Idk if True has fixed their sizing issues or if it's just me but I tried them on and they fit true to me, in fact I actually went UP a size from my Bauer Elites (2013 version) in 7D. My LHS just got the Trues in and after reading through the comments in this thread I walked in expecting to possibly go down to a 6.5 or a 6 and literally could not even get my foot into the 7.5, even with a shoe horn.

I tried an 8R and it fit snug but comfy with about a half inch of room to spare in the toe box, which to me, seems a little bit long- my toes just brush the toe box in my Bauers when I flex forward. But like I said, I could not squeeze my foot into the 7.5  TF9 at all. Granted, I did not bake the 7.5 but it did not feel like that would have helped. They weren't hard to get on unbaked, they were impossible. 

I baked the 8's and they felt incredible. I tired every other skate in the store- 3s Pros, Vapors, Jetspeeds, AS1's, and the new Bauer Elites, all in size 7 and 7.5 and they all felt good, but the Trues in 8R felt the best. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried the goalie skates and found this to be the case as well or what because my foot is telling me the 8 is perfect but literally everyone else has said they've had to size down, so I'm second guessing myself. 

Ignore sizing and go by fit and feel. Thats the number one rule I stick to when fitting people for skates.

I had a customer come in the other day and ask for a size 10EE CCM. I said "Great, take off your shoes and let's get you measured and see what we are working with!" In the end, he walked out in a size 8 tapered CCM. 

The same goes with TRUE, I have seen some players move from the same size in Bauer/CCM to TRUE while some others have gone up/down in size. YMMV.

• Like 1

Take the footbed out and see if the length is right. Whether you can get your foot in the true skate prebake has no indication of how they will fit baked. 

• Like 1

For Trues it’s helpful to think of a new concept: positive space. It’s well known how well they bake and that they have minimum negative space because of this. But the baking shifts almost any way you want (some portions of the boot are relatively fixed, much more resistant to thermoforming). That means they also move up and out around protrusions of the foot. If I were buying a new pair of Trues I would probably lean toward the one just smaller than what I can squeeze into prebake.

Howdy,

On 8/3/2021 at 2:57 PM, chicknpawks said:

No idea on goalie skates and if True changed sizing at all.

For me, I tried on size 8, 7, and 6.5 in TF7.  I was able to get my foot into all of them.  I would say that I didn't notice much length difference at all between the 7's and the 6.5's... Not sure I'd have known they were different sizes pre-bake.  Perhaps that was down to them being slightly different shapes in pre-bake form.  Or maybe there are manufacturer tolerances that stack up one way vs. the other way across two different pairs?

I ended up in the 6.5 and I didn't notice a HUGE difference prebake to postbake in length.  There was a little difference, but it was like a 1/4 size or less.  I've noticed more difference since that initial fitting in the probably 20 hours or so I have on the skates since.  In that time things that seemed to effect the skate length fit the most was moving the tongue down in the skate.  I think prior to that, my foot was shifting forward a little in the skate, jamming my toe into the toecap.  Moving the tongue down some coupled with making the forefoot area a bit tighter lace-wise seemed to have stopped that shifting forward and now the length fit seems pretty dialed, with me being able to just brush the end if I 'reach' for it with my toes.

But I want to echo @PBR here...  Go with what's feeling good on your foot and don't worry too much about what size is on the skates.  If the 8's are feeling great after baking... There you go.  One of the things that's freaking awesome about these is the 30 day money back fit guarantee, so if after a handful of skates something changes you're not out anything.

Mark

On 8/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, Sniper9 said:

Take the footbed out and see if the length is right. Whether you can get your foot in the true skate prebake has no indication of how they will fit baked. 

Don´t forget that half and full sizes have a different construction in the toebox. In a half-size boot the toebox, above a small foam-wall, is some mm longer than the insole.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, flip12 said:

Did you try the lipstick spot check Van Horne shows in a video? Put lipstick on the sore spot of your naked ankle/foot, put your skate on and then press your foot up against the skate. Because it sounds like it’s an area where your ankle is moving back and forth in the skate, try to replicate that motion with and without the tongue in place. I’m wondering if it could be the edge of the tongue, as the TF9 tongue lacks the usual plush felt around the edges like a traditional tongue would have.

I didn't try this but was able to pinpoint it to the top eyelet that was causing the problem. It was hitting/rubbing the side of my leg/ankle. 

On 7/9/2021 at 6:54 PM, Vet88 said:

It's often not standing or straight line skating that is the issue. Deep turns and hard acceleration is when the impact is worse - you are pushing hard onto an extended, angled edge and the physical forces transferring thru the skate amplify any alignment issues. 

If you can find a good fitter for figure skates you could talk to them about moving the holder inwards and or shimming the outside edge of the holder. You can also try shims on the inside of the boot, the shims are inserted on the inside of the foot to try and correct pronation. Try a gel pad under the inside of the forefoot, this twists the forefoot towards the outside and helps to reshape the arch and can often reposition the ankle and knee alignment enough to correct a good degree of mild pronation. There are no easy fixes for pronation so its a matter of finding what works best for you.

It was definitely occurring during deep turns and acceleration as you mentioned.

Just an update, I hadn't skated in over 2 years before skating on the Trues. After my post, I flared the cuff out a bit more but it was still hurting. I left it that way during stick and skate sessions and tried to adjust my foot whenever I felt the pain. Up to that point I'd only gone to a few skate and stick sessions but after a few games, it started hurting less and less. It's been about 6-7 games now and there's only a very slight pain occasionally. Maybe it just took a little bit for me to get my strength and technique back. 

The TF9 have been great otherwise. 

Edited by calixguy18

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the True Junior Stock Skates currently on sale for $199 CDN at numerous retailers across the Internet?  Not sure their history but my best guess is they are the predecessors of the TF7, possibly put out the year before they launched.  Just wondering how they compare in weight and build quality to the TF7's.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, Doodles said:

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the True Junior Stock Skates currently on sale for $199 CDN at numerous retailers across the Internet?  Not sure their history but my best guess is they are the predecessors of the TF7, possibly put out the year before they launched.  Just wondering how they compare in weight and build quality to the TF7's.  Thanks.

I put several of my son's teammates into those the last couple of seasons. You are correct, they were Trues first venture into the stock skate market. They appear to be the same build as their customs at the time. Nice solid skate. Typically will come mounted with their first proprietary holder (will have the same hole pattern as Tuuk)  and Step steel.  I would probably choose them over a pair of TF7's personally.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

I put several of my son's teammates into those the last couple of seasons. You are correct, they were Trues first venture into the stock skate market. They appear to be the same build as their customs at the time. Nice solid skate. Typically will come mounted with their first proprietary holder (will have the same hole pattern as Tuuk)  and Step steel.  I would probably choose them over a pair of TF7's personally.  

Same. And you can't beat the clearance price. 

1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

Agree, on looks alone I prefer them

Great, thanks for the replies!  I bought a pair of 4.5 for my son online after he rejected the Mako 2's I found for him earlier this summer, hopefully he likes these better.  He did not care for the Mako's steeper angle of attack as it put him off balance and I don't want to mess around re-profiling the blades as they are getting hard to find and more expensive than the skate now.....time to move on as I don't want to throw good money after bad. 

Question about the sizing of the Trues, I've read about the removeable toe bumper that allows for expansion but need clarification, is a 4.5 actually a size 4 boot with the bumper removed or is it a size 5 boot with the bumper intact?

Edited by Doodles
spelling

On 8/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, Sniper9 said:

Yeah so this is interesting. The TF9 goalie skate seems to be sized differently than the player skate if what everyone else is saying is true and they had to size down from Bauer’s. These are the footbeds in the size 8R TF9 compared to a size 7 from a Bauer Reactor 6000. They are virtually identical with the Bauer’s being slightly wider in the forefront 

https://imgur.com/a/9kfAeEN

Here is the Bauer on top of the True for comparison. I used a straight edge to hold the Bauer down from curling up.

https://imgur.com/a/kPA1BlG

and the True on top the Bauer to show the really are nearly identical in size. Again this is a True size 8R vs a Bauer 7D 

https://imgur.com/a/huGhnl7

Edited by chicknpawks

3 hours ago, chicknpawks said:

Yeah so this is interesting. The TF9 goalie skate seems to be sized differently than the player skate if what everyone else is saying is true and they had to size down from Bauer’s. These are the footbeds in the size 8R TF9 compared to a size 7 from a Bauer Reactor 6000. They are virtually identical with the Bauer’s being slightly wider in the forefront 

Here is the Bauer on top of the True for comparison. I used a straight edge to hold the Bauer down from curling up.

and the True on top the Bauer to show the really are nearly identical in size. Again this is a True size 8R vs a Bauer 7D 

Interesting... For me it wouldn't be an issue but holder sizing is a problem if you're say generally a size 7 which is a 263 holder and gave to size down to 6-6.5 in true and that is a 254 holder. Doesn't make sense to me if the boot length is the same between their 6/6.5 and others' 7, yet they use a shorter holder. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chicknpawks said:

I would want to look at a more recent Bauer skate before going with concrete proof for sizing comparisons. I would also say the foot bed comparison isn't perfect because my True TF9 foot beds weren't all the way to the end of the toe box if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hills said:

I would want to look at a more recent Bauer skate before going with concrete proof for sizing comparisons. I would also say the foot bed comparison isn't perfect because my True TF9 foot beds weren't all the way to the end of the toe box if I remember correctly.

That’s true I just don’t have anything newer to compare, although idk if Bauer has changed anything in recent years in terms of sizing because the newer Bauer models fit me the same as any other pair I’ve worn and I have always been a 7/7.5. 

That does make sense because even though the footbeds are the same and the skates fit similar, my Trues feel just slightly longer in the toe box than my Bauer’s. 

Hello, I have a question. Are TF7 or TF9 good for people with haglund deformity aka bauer bump(bony thing growing from heel) on heels ? My AS3 tacks killing me and I am looking for something else(I have no feet shape for Bauer skates). Do someone with same heel conditions own TF9 or 7 and feeling no crushing pain in heel bones ?

53 minutes ago, Hanrider said:

Hello, I have a question. Are TF7 or TF9 good for people with haglund deformity aka bauer bump(bony thing growing from heel) on heels ? My AS3 tacks killing me and I am looking for something else(I have no feet shape for Bauer skates). Do someone with same heel conditions own TF9 or 7 and feeling no crushing pain in heel bones ?

Have you looked into getting the heels of your AS3 punched?  I just did this with my Ribcor 76Ks.  Much better. 

2 hours ago, Hanrider said:

I have slight bauer bumps and the TF9 don't bother me at all but then again none of my past skates (except the bauer's that gave me the bumps) have given me a problem there.

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Have you looked into getting the heels of your AS3 punched?  I just did this with my Ribcor 76Ks.  Much better. 

next week I have appointment when my local shop get they tools back for punching but, I am a little bit afraid they will destroy my skates. 

Edited by Hanrider

2 hours ago, Hanrider said:

next week I have appointment when my local shop get they tools back for punching but, I am a little bit afraid they will destroy my skates. 

Does this shop have trues in stock? If so try them.