Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

3 hours ago, Hanrider said:

next week I have appointment when my local shop get they tools back for punching but, I am a little bit afraid they will destroy my skates. 

Why would they destroy your skates? Punching isn't that hard to do, albeit heel work takes a little more care and effort. As I replied to you in another forum, get them punched with a channel, not just a spot punch. Then if you get any heel lift in the boot your bump will not smack into the top of the heel pocket or the top of the punch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Why would they destroy your skates? Punching isn't that hard to do, albeit heel work takes a little more care and effort. As I replied to you in another forum, get them punched with a channel, not just a spot punch. Then if you get any heel lift in the boot your bump will not smack into the top of the heel pocket or the top of the punch.

Not that Vet88 doesn't know his stuff (he most certainly does), but I'll confirm his input.  I've had several boots punched in the heel to make room for my bumps.  The hard part is pinpointing where the punches should be and how deep.  Any shop worth their salt will take care and do a little at a time.  If you aren't confident in the shop's abilities, seek out another shop. 

• Like 1

So I usually take my insoles out after skating, but man these are tough to put back in.  I"m using the stock True insole.  Any tips?  

Also I bought the TF9's not knowing about the wrap method and my local store didn't do it for me.  I'm not sure if I should go back and have it done or try them out first.  I noticed on the instructions they don't mention the wrapping while baking at home so maybe it's not necessary?  

Howdy,

I would try them out first.  You can always re-bake if you don't like how they feel.  I'm tempted to do that with mine as well, to try and help get a little better heel lock without needing to crank on the laces 3 or so eyelets down.

I always took my insoles out too, but I gave it up with the Trues.  Initially that was because I was using the arch inserts and they're kinda a bear to keep in position when putting in the insole.  I stopped using those however and didn't go back to pulling insoles after every skate.  We'll see if I end up regretting it, but so far that's a hassle I don't miss.

Mark

1 hour ago, Grimstarr said:

So I usually take my insoles out after skating, but man these are tough to put back in.  I"m using the stock True insole.  Any tips?   

Funny, I have the same problems. I’ve used superfeet insoles for a few years now with Bauer skates and put a ‘tape tab’ on the side of the insole to make it easier to pull out. On the True TF9’s it’s a major PITA to put the insert back in without undoing half the laces. Hearing stories over the years of people popping and rusting rivets I'm trying to be as diligent as can be 

Yesterday, while driving to get my skates sharpened, I stopped and tried on some TF7s, then bought them because yolo. My wife bought new high heels the other day, so we are even  

Im excited and nervous. They feel ok walking around the house. First game tonight. I didn’t get them profiled yet, because I want to see what the forward lean is like. 

Because of the one piece design, toe box is absolutely brutal looking, like a ski boot. Maybe in 10 years all skates will look like this, and the separate toe cap will look old and dated. 

For sizing comparison, I’ve been wearing an 8.5 in Bauers, and went with an 8.0 in these. I didn’t even try on the 8.5, since the 8s felt the way I expected a skate to fit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did you change your profile when you went to True from your previous brand? I want to leave the shift holder on. 

Coming from 2S skates with a quad 0.5. I very occasionally felt on the 0.5 that I got over my toes and felt unbalanced. Not sure if that was having to much weight forward over the 6’ part of the radius, or just poor skating form. 

I know people say the Shift has more forward lean. I didn’t notice it in my first skate, but there’s so many variables with new skates, and the ice was soft and slow, so hard to get a feel for what was causing what. 

Does anyone know where to get Shift goalie steel for the TF9 Goalie skates? Seems pointless to have a quick change holder without having extra steel...

On 8/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, Westside said:

Funny, I have the same problems. I’ve used superfeet insoles for a few years now with Bauer skates and put a ‘tape tab’ on the side of the insole to make it easier to pull out. On the True TF9’s it’s a major PITA to put the insert back in without undoing half the laces. Hearing stories over the years of people popping and rusting rivets I'm trying to be as diligent as can be 

+1 for tape tab 

Howdy,

So... struggling to get a good heel lock on the TF7s.  Its not horrible, but I can feel my foot lifting up/down a bit.  If I tighten laces enough that my foot is locked in, my arches start to hurt.

Thinking I should rebake.

I can get the plastic wrap.  My understanding is that the procedure is to lace up through the forefoot/arc and leave the top 3/4 eyelets undone, with packing wrap around the ankle area.  Can I expect that to tighten up the heel, or should I be looking for a way to apply more pressure from the sides?  I could probably rig up a clamp against some boards with foam between the boards and the boot...

Anyone have the heating instructions for home baking for TF-7's?

Mark

I'm using a special lacing technique for a good heellock with my Tf7. Through eylet 3 and 4 from the top I'm building an outsideloop and then go through it across from the top eylet for the final knot and loop. I found it somewhere here in the forum. Gives you a perfect heellock and forward flex without too much pressure. I'm planning a rebake after 20 hockey sessions for breaking them in and will try a standard lacing then. 

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So... struggling to get a good heel lock on the TF7s.  Its not horrible, but I can feel my foot lifting up/down a bit.  If I tighten laces enough that my foot is locked in, my arches start to hurt.

I can get the plastic wrap.  My understanding is that the procedure is to lace up through the forefoot/arc and leave the top 3/4 eyelets undone, with packing wrap around the ankle area.  Can I expect that to tighten up the heel, or should I be looking for a way to apply more pressure from the sides?  I could probably rig up a clamp against some boards with foam between the boards and the boot...

Mark

They say to leave the top, maybe top two eyelets undone, not 3-4.  

I have two different size feet due to ankle injuries so my right foot takes up quite a bit more volume than my left. I probably should be in customs but I’m too cheap.
Anyway, I was getting a lot of heel lift in my left skate but the right one fit perfect. What I did was rebake the left and tied it all the way to the top and wrapped the laces around the ankle and tied them up a little tighter than they recommend. Now they both fit great. 

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I've struggled with heel lock in my MLX in the past, and when I tried to really kick my heels in on rebakes, it made a huge difference. The best heel lock I got came from three focus points for me:

1. Kicking my heel in really well, as previously mentioned. The heel of SVH boots is so cavernous and the Achilles area so pliable that it just feels nice when you bake it and it's easy to miss the importance of this step to really drive the fit home there. You really want to get a snug connection between the boot and the foot above the calcaneus. Failing to drive your foot far enough back will kill this.

2. Lacing snug, without overdoing it, from the bottom eyelets by the toe box all the way up to but excluding the third eyelet from the top. I didn't lace or wrap the top with plastic wrap but that's because I like a good deal of eversion in my stride and wrapping the firm facing and quarters prevents that rotation.

3. Massaging the outside of the boot above the heel to promote secure fit around the Achilles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

They had this video for the custom skate. I don't know if it applies to the TF-7.

• Like 2

Howdy,

Thanks for the baking advice.  Hope to have time to try it out in the next few days.

Last night for a slower game I was reffing I used my old Mako M8's...  Two immediate impressions:

1) putting those on was like putting on a pair of slippers.  No pressure points anywhere and my feet were seriously locked in.  I definitely need to work on the TF7's to get them fitting like that.  Wow.

2) The TF7's are SO MUCH stiffer than my old Makos!

I was amazed at how much more I had to concentrate on getting over onto my edges with the Makos to get anything like the bite into the ice I'm now used to with the TF7s, for instance.  The Makos felt almost floppy on my feet.  I was pretty much used to it after 30 minutes or so on the ice, but it was really crazy just how different that felt.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Thanks for the baking advice.  Hope to have time to try it out in the next few days.

Last night for a slower game I was reffing I used my old Mako M8's...  Two immediate impressions:

1) putting those on was like putting on a pair of slippers.  No pressure points anywhere and my feet were seriously locked in.  I definitely need to work on the TF7's to get them fitting like that.  Wow.

2) The TF7's are SO MUCH stiffer than my old Makos!

I was amazed at how much more I had to concentrate on getting over onto my edges with the Makos to get anything like the bite into the ice I'm now used to with the TF7s, for instance.  The Makos felt almost floppy on my feet.  I was pretty much used to it after 30 minutes or so on the ice, but it was really crazy just how different that felt.

Mark

Do you find the angle of attack of the TF7's similar to the Makos?

Howdy,

37 minutes ago, Doodles said:

Do you find the angle of attack of the TF7's similar to the Makos?

I'm not sure I can say.  I think so, but ??

I've had my TF7's profiled with a Zuperior S like the Makos were though, so I'm hardly comparing stock to stock at this point.

Mark

What's up community. I came here for help and advice. I want to buy a TF9 skate. I have a bit complicated feet, saying that i mean, bauer scanner told be to buy 5.5 Fit3 Ultrasonic skates. And as i sometimes trust technology i decided to spent a bunch of money for the thing that i will use long long time. BUT previously i used CCM Tacks 6EE, back from 2016-17 i believe. But they were a bit longer than i'd prefer, and as time passed they become even wider than i'd prefer, so snug fit of new ultrasonic win this race. But what ultrasonics can't give me is ankle support, they cut a bit lower 1.5cm lower than my old ones, and i really miss that 1.5cm. I'm 5.9 and almost 240lb. So in the corners sometime i feel like my ankle is outside of the boot, obviously not, but it feels lack of height. So does anyone here had similar problems? Which True TF9 size should i try? And should I, maybe they cut even lower? Bauer scanner told that all parameters of my feet wide. https://imgur.com/a/TMbK6K7

Unfortunately, I believe the TF9 Junior sizes only come in standard width. If you're a Fit3 Bauer and EE in Tacks, I think you'd need a W in the TF9. The smallest size that comes in W in the TF9 is 6. 6 will definitely be too long for you. You'd likely need a 5 in length if you want a performance fit after baking or a 5.5 if you want a little room, but I think the R width would likely be too narrow even after baking.

Also, the TF9 skates are lower cut than Bauer. So, if a high cut boot is what you're after, I don't think a TF9 is the answer.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, DennisD said:

What's up community. I came here for help and advice. I want to buy a TF9 skate. I have a bit complicated feet, saying that i mean, bauer scanner told be to buy 5.5 Fit3 Ultrasonic skates. And as i sometimes trust technology i decided to spent a bunch of money for the thing that i will use long long time. BUT previously i used CCM Tacks 6EE, back from 2016-17 i believe. But they were a bit longer than i'd prefer, and as time passed they become even wider than i'd prefer, so snug fit of new ultrasonic win this race. But what ultrasonics can't give me is ankle support, they cut a bit lower 1.5cm lower than my old ones, and i really miss that 1.5cm. I'm 5.9 and almost 240lb. So in the corners sometime i feel like my ankle is outside of the boot, obviously not, but it feels lack of height. So does anyone here had similar problems? Which True TF9 size should i try? And should I, maybe they cut even lower? Bauer scanner told that all parameters of my feet wide. https://imgur.com/a/TMbK6K7

Looking at your scan and the fact that you want a wider skate that's high cut, I'd suggest you go try on some intermediate CCM FT4/FT4 Pros and Ribcore 90K/100K in 5.5 Wide. The new CCM lines are now offered in tapered, regular and wide. You could try Tacks in 5.5 EE as well (the tacks line doesn't have the 3 new fits yet). The CCMs also offer a 90 day satisfaction guarantee with participating retailers (True offers 30 days). Bauer doesn't have any guarantee; so, it's lower risk to try the CCM options first and if they don't work you can move on to other brands...I think for what you seek, CCM may be the best option anyway.

Edited by althoma1
  • Thanks 1

Alright, I owe @Hills an apology for doubting his take on the sizing of these things.  I tried them on when they first came out and thought they were fairly close to standard sizing, (maybe a touch bigger).  Went to the store today because I was going to buy a pair of TF9.  I'm a 7.5/7.75 in Bauer and CCM.  I put a 7R TF9 on my foot unbaked and my forefoot was swimming in the boot.  Length was pretty good, so I know they'd be too long post bake.  I think if these things fit you properly, you must wear no pants and have nephews named Huey, Dewey and Louie!

Edited by boo10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, boo10 said:

Alright, I owe @Hills an apology for doubting his take on the sizing of these things.  I tried them on when they first came out and thought they were fairly close to standard sizing, (maybe a touch bigger).  Went to the store today because I was going to buy a pair of TF9.  I'm a 7.5/7.75 in Bauer and CCM.  I put a 7R TF9 on my foot unbaked and my forefoot was swimming in the boot.  Length was pretty good, so I know they'd be too long post bake.  I think if these things fit you properly, you must wear no pants and have nephews named Huey, Dewey and Louie!

Agree with this. When they dropped I tried a 9, which is what I usually wear (I'm a true 9L and 9.25R) and they felt fine. But practically, I ended up buying them in 8.5R, and I probably could have dropped to 8R if I wanted a super performance fit, but these are comfortable and I'm past the stage of jamming my feet. So I also owe Matt an apology

• Like 1

I'm generally very happy with my TF9s, but a few folks have mentioned the little ridge in the front bottom of the toe cap on the half sizes. Does this go away? Didn't bother me for a while, but the other day I got tripped and while trying to catch myself, I felt my big toe jam into that ridge and it left a nice bruise on the front of my toe. Not broken, but still uncomfortable and I've never had such a thing happen in any other skate. Hoping the ridge there will eventually compress or something, but if anyone can speak from experience I'd appreciate it

I’d really love if True could either rivet the tendon guards themselves or use a stronger/better lasting screw that holds the tendon guard.

I’m very careful taking my skates off and dry out my skates after every use and this is the 4th time in a year one of the tendon guard screws have broken. Unfortunately this time the screw snapped too deep in the tendon guard that I might need a new tendon guard.

Not the end of the world, but still a pain in the arse to deal with.

8 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I'm generally very happy with my TF9s, but a few folks have mentioned the little ridge in the front bottom of the toe cap on the half sizes. Does this go away? Didn't bother me for a while, but the other day I got tripped and while trying to catch myself, I felt my big toe jam into that ridge and it left a nice bruise on the front of my toe. Not broken, but still uncomfortable and I've never had such a thing happen in any other skate. Hoping the ridge there will eventually compress or something, but if anyone can speak from experience I'd appreciate it

Is there not a removeable toe bumper in the half-sizes?  I have heard it can be removed to allow for expansion of foot length.