Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Yes and it does make it better but ultimately it felt best when I slid the tongue to the end of the toe cap. But then the top of the tongue starts digging into my shin 

I'm wondering about differences between the TF7 and TF9. I found a little discussion earlier in thread, but 37 pages is a lot to sift through. Clearly I can see the on the specs of lighter weight, carbon fiber vs fiberglass, different tongue, etc. etc. However, how much does any of that really matter? The TF9 is nearly double the price of the TF7 so it seems like it would need to be pretty substantial and it appears to me the differences are more minor.

The back story is that I'm picking up some TF7's this weekend (already fitted and baked just don't want to start the 30 day period yet just in case), but I want to make sure there isn't some large advantage to the TF9 that I'm missing.

9 hours ago, Davideo said:

I'm wondering about differences between the TF7 and TF9. I found a little discussion earlier in thread, but 37 pages is a lot to sift through. Clearly I can see the on the specs of lighter weight, carbon fiber vs fiberglass, different tongue, etc. etc. However, how much does any of that really matter? The TF9 is nearly double the price of the TF7 so it seems like it would need to be pretty substantial and it appears to me the differences are more minor.

I’d think any side by side comparison on a seller’s website would answer this question for you. Carbon vs fiberglass, different liners, different tongues, different steel. No different than a top tier skate from another brand compared to one of their mid range offerings. Are those differences ‘minor’ to you? That’s for you to decide where you want to spend your money

28 minutes ago, Westside said:

I’d think any side by side comparison on a seller’s website would answer this question for you. Carbon vs fiberglass, different liners, different tongues, different steel. No different than a top tier skate from another brand compared to one of their mid range offerings. Are those differences ‘minor’ to you? That’s for you to decide where you want to spend your money

Yes, like I already said, I can just look at the specs, but then my question of "However, how much does any of that really matter?" Of course this is personal opinion, but would like some feedback/opinions on if this matters and why/how much.

16 minutes ago, Davideo said:

Yes, like I already said, I can just look at the specs, but then my question of "However, how much does any of that really matter?" Of course this is personal opinion, but would like some feedback/opinions on if this matters and why/how much.

The TF9 Clarino type liner should theoretically hold up better long term than the TF7's microfiber type liner

I don't think the Fiberglass vs. Carbon Fiber is a huge difference. The Carbon Fiber is a touch lighter and a little stiffer, but the difference isn't huge. The exposed Carbon Fiber definitely looks nicer than the painted Fiberglass.

The holders are the same and I don't think the coated steel on the TF9 is drastically different.

I prefer the thinner tongue on the TF9 to the thicker felt tongue on the TF7. I had volume issues with the TF7s when I tried them on, but that wasn't the case with the TF9. It's easy to change tongues on the True skates since they're just held in with Velcro. With that said, I don't know what replacement tongues cost or how easy it is to source the True tongues (most retailers don't seem to carry them in stores - you may have to contact True directly).

The suggested bake times for the TF9s are longer than the bake times for the TF7 - that suggests that the TF9s may be a little more thermoformable. I haven't had the TF7s baked, only the TF9s; so, I can't be sure that's the case. 

• Like 2

Howdy,

3 hours ago, Davideo said:

When I tried them both on, the only difference that stood out to me was the tongue.  That definitely changed the way the skate seemed to fit my foot a bit and resulted in a little different feel.  it wasn't better or worse to me, just "different".  Just trying them on, I obviously couldn't evaluate any difference in the steel.  I couldn't tell any difference in weight whatsoever.

For me, the extra $$ wasn't remotely worth it and after 3 months of reasonably heavy use (playing and reffing) I'm not sorry I went with the TF7's.  YMMV.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 2

Holy crap my ADD (of which I did not think I had) has kicked in while reading this thread!  HA!  So my kid is in College now, which means he gets all his equipment and I don't have to stay on top of equipment advances like I once did.  This weekend I saw the TF9 for the first time.  The skate looked great and I liked the price point compared to other top of the line models.

I have been in Mako II's and have been regretting any change.  Unfortunately, I have about had it wit the lack of protection MII's offer.  I have turned into a puss (sorry of that is not PC, cancel me if it is), I literally scream inside every time someone shoots puck my way in anticipation of the pain.  Sadly, I can't stop myself from jumping in front of shots so I typically spend my day gimping on a sore wheel the day after games.

So with that I have 2 questions,  does anyone have a feel for how protective these are?  the vest skate I ever had from a protective standpoint was One90s.  Any feed back on TF9 protection?

Next, as I said have been reading this thread for a day now but have grown tired.  So I am just gonna ask, will I like them compared to my M II's?

One concern I have is ai skate one night a week now.  I now I will have to get on the ice more to get used to any new skate but how different will these feel from my Eastons?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, mnpucker said:

Unfortunately, I have about had it wit the lack of protection MII's offer.  I have turned into a puss (sorry of that is not PC, cancel me if it is), I literally scream inside every time someone shoots puck my way in anticipation of the pain.  Sadly, I can't stop myself from jumping in front of shots so I typically spend my day gimping on a sore wheel the day after games

Not to dissuade you from a new pair of skates, but if the only thing you don't like about the Makos is the protection, why not pick up a pair of shotblockers to beef that aspect up and call it a day?  Or is the aesthetic too off-putting?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnpucker said:

Holy crap my ADD (of which I did not think I had) has kicked in while reading this thread!  HA!  So my kid is in College now, which means he gets all his equipment and I don't have to stay on top of equipment advances like I once did.  This weekend I saw the TF9 for the first time.  The skate looked great and I liked the price point compared to other top of the line models.

I have been in Mako II's and have been regretting any change.  Unfortunately, I have about had it wit the lack of protection MII's offer.  I have turned into a puss (sorry of that is not PC, cancel me if it is), I literally scream inside every time someone shoots puck my way in anticipation of the pain.  Sadly, I can't stop myself from jumping in front of shots so I typically spend my day gimping on a sore wheel the day after games.

So with that I have 2 questions,  does anyone have a feel for how protective these are?  the vest skate I ever had from a protective standpoint was One90s.  Any feed back on TF9 protection?

Next, as I said have been reading this thread for a day now but have grown tired.  So I am just gonna ask, will I like them compared to my M II's?

One concern I have is ai skate one night a week now.  I now I will have to get on the ice more to get used to any new skate but how different will these feel from my Eastons?

Thanks in advance!

I have Mako II's for ice and a converted pair of TF9s for inline. So, I can't give you an on ice comparison, but can give you some general feedback on the boot differences and sizing:

I have 8EE Mako II's and 7W TF9 boots. My toes just feather the cap in the Mako II's. I tried on 8W TF9s and they were way too long even before baking. The 7.5W felt like the right size before baking, but I read the feedback from other owners that mentioned they really opened up after baking and break in and decided to go down to 7W. Before baking the 7W felt too small - it was very hard to get my foot in and my toes were very hard against the cap. After baking, I still had to undo the top two laces and twist my foot to get it in, but now my toes were a little less firm against the cap. After about 10-15 hours of use, my left foot now just brushes the cap and my right, longer foot, is against the cap, but not uncomfortable.

So, in my opinion, most people will want to go down a full size in the TF9 vs a Mako II. When I hold the boots side by side, the length of the 7W TF9 and 8EE Makos seem the same. When I wear them, the TF9 feels about a 1/4 size shorter; so, maybe the length difference is 3/4 size, but I'd rather have a skate that's a touch small than one that's too big (especially one based on a zero negative skate speed skate concept). The boot height and depth is very similar as well (the only difference there is that the Mako has one side lower than the other at the ankle, but the TF9 is the same on both sides). So, to get the right size, you'll either have to drop a holder size or pay to swap to the holder size you're used to on the Mako. 

The TF9s are a bit stiffer, have less flexible tendon guards and the toe box is taller and not asymmetrical like the Makos. In use, I don't notice the tendon guard difference, but I do notice the toe box. The Mako toe box is more comfortable for my feet. As for the stiffness - I don't mind the extra stiffness. The weight difference is noticeable for me, but I also have a heavy inline chassis on the TF9 (Marsblade R1) vs. a lighter one on another Mako conversion (Sprung A6). I'm not sure I'd notice the weight difference on the ice. 

None of the shots I've taken off the TF9 boots have hurt, but I've only had inline pucks hit them and not ice pucks. I do think they'd offer a bit more protection that the Makos, but agree with what @krisdrum said. If your Mako II's are in good shape otherwise, you're better off paying to have some ultrastop shot blocker sheets installed (https://www.binnieshockey.com/shop-hockey-accessories/custom-ultra-shot-blockers) or buying another type of shot blocker than buying new skates.

Here's an article about the use of the ultrastop blockers in the NHL: https://www.japersrink.com/2018/8/13/17579526/matt-niskanen-gives-technology-a-shot

Overall, I have a bit less negative space in the TF9s, get even better heel lock (the Mako heel lock is already very good) and like the extra stiffness. I do prefer the lower profile and comfort of the Mako toe box though. I can't give you any on ice opinions as I've never used the TF9s on ice, but the boot itself is the most similar you'll find to the Mako. 

Oh, one other note. In the right size in the TF9, you'll need to undo the top two eyelets completely to get them on and off. This is similar to the Mako, but I find it easier to get the laces back in with the Mako. With the TF9, it's really hard to do up the top two laces unless you put the lace behind the tongue first and then pull them over after you thread the lace. 

Edited by althoma1

Listen to the guy above I had to drop down to a size 7 tf9. Which he said right off the bat and I didn’t listen. Only thing I’m not a fan of right now is that they feel big which isn’t the case because my toes are against the cap. Probably the fact that the toe cap isn’t lined with anything where my makos tongue extends to the end of the toe cap.

Played one game so far and literally no pain but I’m still getting used to them. I’ll be experimenting with powerfoot inserts which is the perfect accessory for these

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

Listen to the guy above I had to drop down to a size 7 tf9. Which he said right off the bat and I didn’t listen. Only thing I’m not a fan of right now is that they feel big which isn’t the case because my toes are against the cap. Probably the fact that the toe cap isn’t lined with anything where my makos tongue extends to the end of the toe cap.

Played one game so far and literally no pain but I’m still getting used to them. I’ll be experimenting with powerfoot inserts which is the perfect accessory for these

Yes, I think the toe cap is likely the difference you're feeling. The Mako toe cap has the lined felt type material, it's lower profile and asymmetrical. 

I also suspect that if you can fit into 7 TF9s, you could likely fit into an 8 Mako and the 9 Makos you thought were a half size big, were really a full size off. That doesn't matter anymore since you're retiring your 9 Makos, but if you ever come across a pair of new old stock or very good condition Mako II's, M8's or M7s in an 8, you might want to give them a try if you miss the Mako feel. I think the fact that the Makos wrap so well and have the low profile toe cap probably allowed you to get away with skates that were too long, but still allowed for good heel lock and kept your foot from sliding around. 

Howdy,

3 hours ago, mnpucker said:

(side note: If you're going to take the time to post about how you hope something you said isn't too non-PC... Maybe instead just use that time to change your phrasing? )

Only you will end up being able to answer your question.  That said... I had the same concerns as compared to my Mako M8's when I got my TF7s.  Over a period of a couple weeks I felt like I got the TF7s dialed in, then played/reffed in them for another week or two.  I then decided I'd wear my M8s again for a game I reffed.

Luckily it was a lower level game, because the M8s that'd I'd previously loved / was really worried about moving on from felt like totally floppy pieces of junk.  Same runner profile / sharpening, but it felt like I couldn't hold an edge nearly as well, wasn't as fast, wasn't as agile, etc.  Literally nothing about them felt better than the TF7s.  I was able to re-adapt over the course of the game, but even at the end I was never back to "feels good".

I'm really glad I put those M8s back on, mostly because now I know how much better I have it.

Mark

10 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Not to dissuade you from a new pair of skates, but if the only thing you don't like about the Makos is the protection, why not pick up a pair of shotblockers to beef that aspect up and call it a day?  Or is the aesthetic too off-putting?

I tried them but found I would kick them from time to time.  Just didn't like the feel of them,

Ive had the TF7s for like a month or six weeks now. They got pretty comfortable quickly. Every once in a while, I feel like I get this extra boost for a stride or two, and feel extra fast. I assume it’s just all my body mechanics lining up correctly, but I’ve never had that with any other skate. 

27 minutes ago, mnpucker said:

I tried them but found I would kick them from time to time.  Just didn't like the feel of them,

I don't bother with shot blockers as most of the time I manage to get out of the way of shots, but if I were to try some, I'd try the Ultrastop product because it's worked for NHL players and is very low profile:

https://www.japersrink.com/2018/8/13/17579526/matt-niskanen-gives-technology-a-shot

https://www.binnieshockey.com/shop-hockey-accessories/custom-ultra-shot-blockers

Not that you can't buy some TF9s, but you may want to try the Ultrastops for your Mako II's. 

10 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Why don't u just lower the tongue so that it goes into the toe cap reducing the negative space. I made my own powerfoot inserts from Eva foam foam from the dollar store. Stacked 2 or three 1mm pieces. Cut them to shape. Added Velcro on them and they stick right onto the Velcro tab that extends into the tow box. It's also supported by the tongue which is lowered into the toe box. I like absolutely no wiggle room for my toes. 

I also noticed that lowering the tongue deeper into the toe box flattens out your feet and actually makes your feet "longer" since your feet has no option but to be splayed. When I wore my custom trues where the tongues were in the stock position, my toes feathered the toecap. When I lowered them, my toes actually felt a bit crammed, so I removed the foam liner on the tips of tht toecap. 

I've had my second pair of True customs for about two years now. I've baked them a total of three times (mostly when they were new). First time was in store and they didn't use Saran wrap. Second time I used my convection oven and used saran wrap method. Third and final time I wanted to fine tune it even more and went apeshit with the saran wrap. 

I love my trues. After fine tuning with the third bake, and the foam inside packing in a bit they fit like a dream and locked in. I will say that when new the foam is very thick and may seem like ur foot may not be completely locked in esp in the heel area bc the padding for the heel is pretty thick too. Once it's packed in it'll suck ur heel even more when u put them on. Just rmbr u got to really kick the heel into when lacing up. 

I think I'll be picking up the TF9s today, prices are too good to pass up. The tf7s are really cheap too so that decision is hard to make, but I think I'll go for the tf9.

Originally a mako and mako 2 user, then went to super tacks.  I don't mind my super tacks, but nothing beats how the mako 2s felt.

Im on the fence with size though, 7.5R in the mako2, pre-bake testing on the TF9s lead me to believe that post baking they would be great. Just don't know if I should even toy with the idea of going to a 6.5 though.

6 hours ago, pisani34 said:

I think I'll be picking up the TF9s today, prices are too good to pass up. The tf7s are really cheap too so that decision is hard to make, but I think I'll go for the tf9.

Originally a mako and mako 2 user, then went to super tacks.  I don't mind my super tacks, but nothing beats how the mako 2s felt.

Im on the fence with size though, 7.5R in the mako2, pre-bake testing on the TF9s lead me to believe that post baking they would be great. Just don't know if I should even toy with the idea of going to a 6.5 though.

In my experience, after baking the TF9s are about three quarters of a size larger than Makos in the same size. So, a 7 TF9 will be a quarter size larger than a 7.5 Mako after baking and a 6.5 will be approximately a quarter size smaller. After about 20 hours of break in, my 7W TF9s feel very close to the same length as my 8EE Mako II's. Externally the 7W and 8EE Makos appear to be the same length. 

I know the 8W TF9 felt too big before baking, the 7.5W felt like the right size and 7W felt too small. After baking and break in, I'm happy with the 7W and think the 7.5W would've been a bit long by now if I'd went with that size. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

In my experience, after baking the TF9s are about three quarters of a size larger than Makos in the same size. So, a 7 TF9 will be a quarter size larger than a 7.5 Mako after baking and a 6.5 will be approximately a quarter size smaller. After about 20 hours of break in, my 7W TF9s feel very close to the same length as my 8EE Mako II's. Externally the 7W and 8EE Makos appear to be the same length. 

I know the 8W TF9 felt too big before baking, the 7.5W felt like the right size and 7W felt too small. After baking and break in, I'm happy with the 7W and think the 7.5W would've been a bit long by now if I'd went with that size. 

i did read your previous posts about the sizing especially compared to makos, it was very helpful for at least getting me into a starting zone.

I came home with the 7R.  i know they don't tell the full fit story without baking, but just shoving my foot into the 6.5's without laces, i could get my foot in, but my toes were actually curled and jammed into the end.  Unbaked, my toes are still hard up against the toe caps in the 7R, flat, extended foot/toes.

Does the insole sizing have any bearing on helping to choose the right size? i'm actually overhanging the 7R footbed by a little bit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pisani34 said:

i did read your previous posts about the sizing especially compared to makos, it was very helpful for at least getting me into a starting zone.

I came home with the 7R.  i know they don't tell the full fit story without baking, but just shoving my foot into the 6.5's without laces, i could get my foot in, but my toes were actually curled and jammed into the end.  Unbaked, my toes are still hard up against the toe caps in the 7R, flat, extended foot/toes.

Does the insole sizing have any bearing on helping to choose the right size? i'm actually overhanging the 7R footbed by a little bit.

If your toes were curled unlaced in the 6.5R, it's probably better you went up to the 7R. For my feet with the 7W, my toes were pressed very hard against the cap before baking, but were flat and did not curl at all. If your toes are hard against the cap in the 7R, that sounds like it's the right size for your feet. After baking and break in you'll gain some room. 

My toes are also slightly over the 7W insole. I find the True retail insoles are on the short side vs. any other skate I've worn in the past. 

My toes touched the cap in my TF7 6.5R even in hockey stance, but didn´t curl. I had the feeling that they would be too small for several hours. After one bake in the shop, changing the tongue for the pro version, a second bake with saran wrap at home and a third bake with saran wrap at home after 20 hours on the ice they have a perfect fit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, althoma1 said:

If your toes were curled unlaced in the 6.5R, it's probably better you went up to the 7R. For my feet with the 7W, my toes were pressed very hard against the cap before baking, but were flat and did not curl at all. If your toes are hard against the cap in the 7R, that sounds like it's the right size for your feet. After baking and break in you'll gain some room. 

My toes are also slightly over the 7W insole. I find the True retail insoles are on the short side vs. any other skate I've worn in the past. 

Yep I think the 7R are gonna be perfect for me.  I just got off the ice in my super tacks (haven't had a chance to bake or sharpen the TF9s just yet), and while unpacking my bag I dug out my 7.5R mako2s just to try em on again. With feet after a game (swelling), the broken in 7.5R makos are *almost* perfect. Toes just a tad more pressure than "feathered, almost like If I had customs they would be 7.75s. so if the tf7s are 3/4 bigger than the comparable mako2, Im shaping up to be real happy with these.

On another note, has everyone been sticking with the shift holder and onyx steel, and more important, is anyone skating on stock true profiles? Whatever it may be? I've toyed with the idea of getting CCM sb4.0 holders put on so that I can use my black step steel which have a ton of life left, and are currently a max edge 981 profile (which I hear is a Hudson V from here).  My skate guy says I should sharpen up the true skate as it is and give it a try and see if I want to make a change though.

• Like 1

I was thinking about swapping holders to LS-Edge as I still have plenty of them plus steel, but I managed to get used to the Shift holder. As there is no shop doing profiling around these parts, I still run the stock profile, and don't have any issues.

So as long as there is no issue with getting replacement parts, I'll stick with the shift holder as I'm happy with the performance. Plus having to drill new holes when switching is annoying, so best give em a try for a couple skates and see how you like em 🙂