Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

I have TF7s and kept the stock profile. Since these are such different skates, I wanted to get used to how they felt before I started tinkering with multiple variables. 

I like how they feel, but sometimes I randomly feel a touch “over my toes.” My worry is that moving to a quad .5, which I had before and really liked, might feel like to much forward lean.

Yes, I know there are lots of thing I could do to mitigate that, but then I’m just making extra alterations to get back to something that was fine to start with. 

1 hour ago, gosinger said:

I was thinking about swapping holders to LS-Edge as I still have plenty of them plus steel, but I managed to get used to the Shift holder. As there is no shop doing profiling around these parts, I still run the stock profile, and don't have any issues.

So as long as there is no issue with getting replacement parts, I'll stick with the shift holder as I'm happy with the performance. Plus having to drill new holes when switching is annoying, so best give em a try for a couple skates and see how you like em 🙂

Makes sense. I don't think I'll have a problem with the pitch of the holders as i actually had really positive experiences with the CXN holder as well. I guess it makes sense to give it all a try first and modify as needed.  Excited to get these things on the ice!

Howdy,

IW's black friday 15% off applies to new True skates.

I'm only about 6 months into my TF7s and they still look mostly new, but I'm tempted to pick up another pair at $280!

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I'm only about 6 months into my TF7s and they still look mostly new, but I'm tempted to pick up another pair at $280!

Mark

Funny, a teammate of mine commented in the locker room last week how my TF9’s look so new. Think the rubbery side material really helps keep the skates looking newer compared to chipping/flaking of graphics on Bauer/CCM skates 

12 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Are you sure about this? The TF7 and TF9 should still be covered by MAP. 

18 minutes ago, PBH said:

Are you sure about this? The TF7 and TF9 should still be covered by MAP. 

IW's MAP disclaimer on the sale notification only mentions CCM, Bauer, and Warrior.  I just threw a pair in the cart and they were automatically discounted.

Edited by krisdrum

For those in Canada, Sport Chek has both the TF7 and TF9s for 20% off right now. The discounted price is showing online right now even before you add them to the cart. 

Wow, so wasn't planning on picking up some skates, but... going to try to find the TF7 to try on.

To summarize what I remember from the 38 pages of this thread:

TF7 and 9 fit a bit differently, mostly due to the different tongue.  9 might give a bit more volume since the tongue is thinner.  But they are swappable post purchase. 

General rule of sizing is to go 1/2 size down from your current skate.  So if I am in a size 4.5 Ribcor, more than likely the size 4 True will be the best fit post bake and break-in.  

Sidenote - been in Grafs mostly and just recently figured out why I had issues with the same sized skate from other makers.  Graf tends to undersize their boots.  I dropped a half size in CCM and the fit was much closer. 

I know the shells are very heat reactive, anyone encounter an issue they couldn't solve for with heat and either a bit of punching or saran wrap?  I have a decent sized Bauer bump on my right heel I need to be able to punch/mold around, or I don't get enough surface area against the back of the boot and tend to get slippage. 

Yes, for most people the retail Trues require them to go down a half size from Bauer/CCM and people would go up a half size in Graf vs. Bauer/CCM. Most of the experiences here were with senior sizes though; so, that may or may not translate to the junior sizes. Plus, each foot is different, so you really need to try them on and have them baked to get the right size and determine if they'll work for your feet.

The last and fit of the TF7 boots are the same, it's the thickness of the tongues that make them feel different (the TF7 tongue is much thicker), but as you mentioned, the tongues can be swapped and the thicker tongues should compress a bit over time. 

I think your best bet is to get to a store that has them in stock and try on at least a 4 and 4.5 (you could try them with and without the tongues since those just Velcro in and out). Before baking, your toes firm against the front, but not bent or crushed would be a good sign that you have the right length. If your toes barely touch, they'll likely end up too long after baking and break in. If your toes are crushed and won't sit flat and you have to bend them to get your foot in the boots, then you likely won't gain enough room after baking and break in. 

It'd be great if the store was also participating in the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. That way you can bake, sharpen and use the size you choose and return them after trying them for a few weeks if the fit isn't great. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Westside said:

Funny, a teammate of mine commented in the locker room last week how my TF9’s look so new. Think the rubbery side material really helps keep the skates looking newer compared to chipping/flaking of graphics on Bauer/CCM skates 

I had a teammate ask if I got new skates the other day and I've played on them for months at 1-4 games a week. I didn't really know how to answer lol.

For sizing, I got 8.5W and they were kind of smashing my little toes prebake and my big toes were sitting on the ridge at the front. Post bake, there was still pressure on the little toes but it was manageable. Post another bake (had to work on a pressure point) and about 7 games, they were too big. My toes don't even touch the ridge and my big toes are getting bruised from sliding into the toe cap/ridge. There's no pressure on my little toes at all now and I can't even tighten the forefoot area enough to get a solid fit. They really opened up after playing in them.

For reference, my previous skates were the RBK 50k 8.5EE.

Edited by calixguy18
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Yes, for most people the retail Trues require them to go down a half size from Bauer/CCM and people would go up a half size in Graf vs. Bauer/CCM. Most of the experiences here were with senior sizes though; so, that may or may not translate to the junior sizes. Plus, each foot is different, so you really need to try them on and have them baked to get the right size and determine if they'll work for your feet.

The last and fit of the TF7 boots are the same, it's the thickness of the tongues that make them feel different (the TF7 tongue is much thicker), but as you mentioned, the tongues can be swapped and the thicker tongues should compress a bit over time. 

I think your best bet is to get to a store that has them in stock and try on at least a 4 and 4.5 (you could try them with and without the tongues since those just Velcro in and out). Before baking, your toes firm against the front, but not bent or crushed would be a good sign that you have the right length. If your toes barely touch, they'll likely end up too long after baking and break in. If your toes are crushed and won't sit flat and you have to bend them to get your foot in the boots, then you likely won't gain enough room after baking and break in. 

It'd be great if the store was also participating in the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. That way you can bake, sharpen and use the size you choose and return them after trying them for a few weeks if the fit isn't great. 

very helpful in addition to all the other goodies in this thread.  Sorry, the below is a bit dense. 

Update to my last comment: I tried them on!  My local Monkey store had size 4 TF7s in stock, so I took a lunch ride over to check them out.  The store actually does a bake for you, without even asking and obviously no requirement to purchase, which I was a bit surprised by, but, I certainly wasn't going to decline.

Context: I've skated most of my "career" in Graf 535 wides, size 5.  Tried a whole bunch of other stuff, but haven't found anything that locks my heel in like those.  By today's standards, they are wet noodles and I have wanted to try something stiffer, I feel like I don't always have the support I'd want (for my weak, new-ish skater ankles).  Currently about 45 days into a pair of Ribcor 76K D, size 4.5 that have been pretty good, but giving me a hard time on my right heel's haglund's deformity.  I've tried to punch the area and without going really aggressive, still struggling.  I'm returning them if I can't get a sufficient pocket created.  Length-wise my feet are small, but I usually have some volume issues in skates around my arch and instep to heel.  Wide-ish forefoot, narrow-ish heel, but the bump on my right makes it hard to get good surface area contact with the back of most boots without punching or other manipulation. 

With that background I was pleasantly surprised by how the TF7 fit with an initial bake.  For the most part, they felt like a warm hug.  Nice snug even pressure all around.  We didn't saran wrap, so that might be something to explore if I decide to jump in and take advantage of the 30 day guarantee.  Some of my toes were a bit harder against the front of the toebox than I am accustomed, but not unexpected considering all the input from the group.  Definitely not painful or curling.  Just a bit of pressure.  Width was fine in the forefoot/ball.  Boot wrapped pretty well as it moved up towards my ankle, the facing was definitely coming up and over.  I did crank them a bit more once they were cool and could see the potential for lace bite, but nothing a bit of care while lacing couldn't fix.  Then I stood up...heel/lower ankle felt a bit sloppy, especially compared to the Grafs and Ribcors.  Had a bit of ankle wobble when walking (both skates, right more noticeable).  It didn't feel like my heel was lifting, but it felt roomier than I would want.  Not the even, warm hug of the rest of the boot.  And the toes maybe got a bit more cramped, so maybe I slid a bit forward.  Bending my knees did pull my foot back a bit, but didn't give me the heel lock I am looking for.

They definitely felt different from anything I have ever tried on previously, including a few months in Makos.  I see the potential, but am concerned about the heel/ankle "slop".  Did anyone have similar first impressions you were able to solve for with another bake or two and some different fitting techniques (saran wrap, ratchet clamp the heel, etc.)?

In the Junior size, I save about $40 bucks, which isn't a huge difference, but something for a novice beer leaguer.    

It sounds like 4 would be the right length after baking with the luggage wrap and break in. 

With the TF9s, I find I have excellent heel lock, but really kicked my heel back and then used the luggage wrap after taking them out of the oven. The only issue I had was some tightness at the widest part of my forefoot, but a second bake and break in helped with that. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

It sounds like 4 would be the right length after baking with the luggage wrap and break in. 

With the TF9s, I find I have excellent heel lock, but really kicked my heel back and then used the luggage wrap after taking them out of the oven. The only issue I had was some tightness at the widest part of my forefoot, but a second bake and break in helped with that. 

"luggage wrap"?  Like a webbed nylon belt?  Or like saran wrap/clear plastic cling wrap?

I didn't kick my heel back that hard.  Could have gone harder.  And maybe I could exaggerate the haglund's bump to get a deeper imprint as I've seen RVH describe in some fitting videos.  It needs a nice pocket to sit in. 

If I felt pretty good about solving the heel/haglund's bump issue, I'd take the plunge.   

Edited by krisdrum

12 hours ago, althoma1 said:

For those in Canada, Sport Chek has both the TF7 and TF9s for 20% off right now. The discounted price is showing online right now even before you add them to the cart. 

Verified the discount with TRUE and everyone is correct. They are discounting for Black Friday, up to 20% on anything TRUE. Looks like we will be doing the sale as well 😉 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krisdrum said:

"luggage wrap"?  Like a webbed nylon belt?  Or like saran wrap/clear plastic cling wrap?

I didn't kick my heel back that hard.  Could have gone harder.  And maybe I could exaggerate the haglund's bump to get a deeper imprint as I've seen RVH describe in some fitting videos.  It needs a nice pocket to sit in. 

If I felt pretty good about solving the heel/haglund's bump issue, I'd take the plunge.   

It's like a saran wrap, but stronger. I found something like this for $4 at a local dollar store:https://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Plastic-Luggage-Banding-Packing/dp/B07RBZ74G3/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=Luggage+Plastic+Wrap&qid=1637726326&sr=8-14

16 hours ago, althoma1 said:

This is where I picked up my TF9's last Friday....my "effective" price was $370 CAD incl. Tax.  I say effective because I still paid $530 at the counter, but will be getting back around $160 in Canadian Tire money (which to me Is as good as 1:1 real money).  A bunch of triangle offers all lined up for 1 day, couldn't say no!

• Like 1

Got my TF9's out on the ice today for an open skate quickly over lunch.  My first thoughts, pretty comfy boots, but I was pretty thrown off by the ROH.  I used the same sharpener i always go to and have had good success with over the last 3-4 years.  We put on my preferred 7/8" ROH on there, albeit on the TF9's its just on the stock profile.  I'm coming from same size steel, but step Blacksteel in my Supertacks with SB+4.0's.  Those are profiled with a maximum edge 981 profile, triple radius which ive found ok, never really tried anything else to be honest though.

Stepping out on the ice, the aggressive pitch didn't bother me at all, i've had grafs for a long time and makos for a long time, so no problem there, but the issue was that these definitely did not "feel" like a 7/8" ROH.  The sharpener is telling me that he for sure did them at 7/8", and that it is the stock profile of the Onyx steel that is making it feel like it has more bite, as there is more blade to ice contact than i have with my supertacks.  Is this a true thing?  i know you can't really "tell", but just by feeling the edges with my fingers, it almost has quite a distinguishable grab when running fingers perpendicularly over the blade edges as compared to what they feel like on my steps.

With that being said, i'm not tied down to the max edge profiles, and a bunch of shops around here do have prosharp machines, so i may give a prosharp profile a go.  I mainly play defense and my skating game is more linear and top speed than agility/quickness, any starting point for prosharp profiles to recommend on the onyx?

Coles notes: 

I guess my biggest question right now would be, could the profile have THAT big an effect on the ROH/bite feeling in regards to stopping? It was borderline chattering almost on the onyx

Edited by pisani34

3 hours ago, pisani34 said:

Got my TF9's out on the ice today for an open skate quickly over lunch.  My first thoughts, pretty comfy boots, but I was pretty thrown off by the ROH.  I used the same sharpener i always go to and have had good success with over the last 3-4 years.  We put on my preferred 7/8" ROH on there, albeit on the TF9's its just on the stock profile.  I'm coming from same size steel, but step Blacksteel in my Supertacks with SB+4.0's.  Those are profiled with a maximum edge 981 profile, triple radius which ive found ok, never really tried anything else to be honest though.

Stepping out on the ice, the aggressive pitch didn't bother me at all, i've had grafs for a long time and makos for a long time, so no problem there, but the issue was that these definitely did not "feel" like a 7/8" ROH.  The sharpener is telling me that he for sure did them at 7/8", and that it is the stock profile of the Onyx steel that is making it feel like it has more bite, as there is more blade to ice contact than i have with my supertacks.  Is this a true thing?  i know you can't really "tell", but just by feeling the edges with my fingers, it almost has quite a distinguishable grab when running fingers perpendicularly over the blade edges as compared to what they feel like on my steps.

With that being said, i'm not tied down to the max edge profiles, and a bunch of shops around here do have prosharp machines, so i may give a prosharp profile a go.  I mainly play defense and my skating game is more linear and top speed than agility/quickness, any starting point for prosharp profiles to recommend on the onyx?

Coles notes: 

I guess my biggest question right now would be, could the profile have THAT big an effect on the ROH/bite feeling in regards to stopping? It was borderline chattering almost on the onyx

it's been discussed, especially on the vh/true thread that people generally go down a hollow with the skates. I guess it stands true for the retail skates too. 

Edited by Sniper9

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

it's been discussed, especially on the vh/true thread that people generally go down a hollow with the skates. I guess it stands true for the retail skates too. 

Wasn’t that true of Makos too?

10 hours ago, pisani34 said:

Coles notes: 

The active factor I’d guess is the True boot offering more direct energy transfer which makes the same hollow feel grippier compared to lossier boots. Though, I thought Mako users often experienced it as well. Still, I agree with @Sniper9, you’ll likely find the right feel at a slightly shallower hollow. Definitely try that before messing with your profile.

Edited by flip12

7 hours ago, flip12 said:

Wasn’t that true of Makos too?

The active factor I’d guess is the True boot offering more direct energy transfer which makes the same hollow feel grippier compared to lossier boots. Though, I thought Mako users often experienced it as well. Still, I agree with @Sniper9, you’ll likely find the right feel at a slightly shallower hollow. Definitely try that before messing with your profile.

It's weird, I never had that experience with my makos.  I trust this sharpener but this was quite a bit different feeling.  But you're right, at this point I think I'll need to experiment with a few hollows first as the least invasive steps first.

The reason I'm a little more concerned/annoyed is that I just ordered a sparx which is being delivered today and I ordered my normal 7/8" ring....so it'll suck if that is gonna go useless and now I gotta order a 1" or 1-1/8" or something right off the bat haha

Edited by pisani34