Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

On 11/24/2021 at 6:59 AM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Where’s a CCM F•I•T machine when you need one?

South Windsor Arena in CT has one, probably hasn't been used in years. The same thought has crossed my mind in the past. 

3 hours ago, Monty22 said:

South Windsor Arena in CT has one, probably hasn't been used in years. The same thought has crossed my mind in the past. 

Does it still work? I would totally buy it if it works and they aren't using it. 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, althoma1 said:

It sounds like 4 would be the right length after baking with the luggage wrap and break in. 

With the TF9s, I find I have excellent heel lock, but really kicked my heel back and then used the luggage wrap after taking them out of the oven. The only issue I had was some tightness at the widest part of my forefoot, but a second bake and break in helped with that. 

Was there anything you did specifically during the bake to achieve this. While the length is perfect for me, I’ve found that my foot still feels loose in this area(and kind of overall.) 

On top of that I notice I have decent heel lift when walking around in them. I don’t notice on ice but I’m kind of pre occupied. I skate around fine in them but i pretty much never had a proper fitting skate until now so I don’t know if I’m just accepting the feel or if these are just different. I’ve had no pain whatsoever but they just feel not as tight. Maybe a tongue replacement? 

p.s just got off the phone with pure hockey who advised not to bake them again and only maybe spot heat the heel or at most 4 minutes in the oven. Is that really enough to do anything?

Edited by crispy92

20 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Was there anything you did specifically during the bake to achieve this. While the length is perfect for me, I’ve found that my foot still feels loose in this area(and kind of overall.) 

On top of that I notice I have decent heel lift when walking around in them. I don’t notice on ice but I’m kind of pre occupied. I skate around fine in them but i pretty much never had a proper fitting skate until now so I don’t know if I’m just accepting the feel or if these are just different. I’ve had no pain whatsoever but they just feel not as tight. Maybe a tongue replacement? 

p.s just got off the phone with pure hockey who advised not to bake them again and only maybe spot heat the heel or at most 4 minutes in the oven. Is that really enough to do anything?

Besides kicking my heel back hard and using the luggage wrap method, I didn't do anything special with the Trues. With my Makos, I did use a big plastic clamp for the heel just below the ankle bones.

I would try rebaking, make sure you really kick your heel back and use more luggage wrap. If you still don't have good heel lock, you could try carefully spot heating with a heat gun just the heel and using a clamp.

23 hours ago, crispy92 said:

If you didn't wrap it during the baking this should be done. Kick back into heel and the Saran wrap locks it in there also making sure the the eyelet facings are tight up against the tongue and ensuring your ankle and heel stay in this spot until it cools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

If you didn't wrap it during the baking this should be done. Kick back into heel and the Saran wrap locks it in there also making sure the the eyelet facings are tight up against the tongue and ensuring your ankle and heel stay in this spot until it cools. 

I did but in hindsight the wrap was more around the upper three eyelets where in the video it goes around the heel. Am I good to do a full bake again pure hockey is telling me no

8 hours ago, crispy92 said:

I did but in hindsight the wrap was more around the upper three eyelets where in the video it goes around the heel. Am I good to do a full bake again pure hockey is telling me no

True skates can handle multiple bakes better than most skates. I don't know why Pure is telling you not to bake them a second time. I would just bake them and make sure to use the wrap like Scott Van Horne demonstrates in the video. 

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

True skates can handle multiple bakes better than most skates. I don't know why Pure is telling you not to bake them a second time. I would just bake them and make sure to use the wrap like Scott Van Horne demonstrates in the video. 

Sorry they’re saying not to do full 10 minute bake but I’ll push it next time I get in. Also does it matter if the oven is preheated or no because they’re so small?

4 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Sorry they’re saying not to do full 10 minute bake but I’ll push it next time I get in. Also does it matter if the oven is preheated or no because they’re so small?

You always want the oven preheated. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 2:34 PM, crispy92 said:

You're fine. For the customs at least true stated to me I could bake it upwards of nine times with no issues

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

You're fine. For the customs at least true stated to me I could bake it upwards of nine times with no issues

I'm not sure the shell is the same.

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

I'm not sure the shell is the same.

The shell is not the same. Similar, but not 100% exactly the same and thus not as thermoformable. The good news is you can easily still bake a TF7/TF9 multiple times without any issues.

• Like 2

Howdy,

Going to rebake my TF7's finally.

Someone remind me of the oven procedure for a conventional home "non-convection" oven?

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Someone remind me of the oven procedure for a conventional home "non-convection" oven?

Mark

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Iirc it should be 180° for 6 min.

Shop directions were 200° for 6 min, that's what I did as I trusted my convection oven at home.

On another note, I ended up returned the 7.0R TF9s and doubling back to the 6.5R.  after game 2 in the 7R's, it just felt like my feet were swimming in the boot.  6.5 felt way too small even post bake, but once actually laced and on the ice, felt much different than just standing around at home.  Even then, I do wish the forefoot were still a little bit tighter but I'm not sure much could be done about that.

Still, I have no issues with the heel lock, ankle flexion or anything, that's all great, but the review is still out on these until I get a few more skates in. I think the stock pitch and profile is something I'm still getting used to, so not only is the boot way different than I'm used to, but also adjusting to a new profile again

On 12/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, crispy92 said:

Mine were wrapped this way too when I fitted them. I didn’t think before hand to doublecheck the correct process, and just assumed the store would do it correctly, since the kid who sold me skates suggested it. He was super stoked on doing it, and then still did it wrong. 

Howdy,

So

1. preheat oven to 180 deg
  2. shut off oven, and put in skates on a towel, on a cookie sheet, middle rack
  3. wait 10 (?) minutes.. The time to use seems to be all over the map?
  4. remove skates and fit

?

Figuring I'll just do one at a time.  

I have a hard time believing the oven will maintain 180 deg for 10+ minutes without being on, particularly with opening it to put the skates in.

Gas oven, with a bottom burner (when in 'bake' mode).  Is it really the end of the world to leave the oven on to maintain temp?

Mark

Edited by marka

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So

1. preheat oven to 180 deg
  2. shut off oven, and put in skates on a towel, on a cookie sheet, middle rack
  3. wait 10 (?) minutes.. The time to use seems to be all over the map?
  4. remove skates and fit

?

Figuring I'll just do one at a time.  

I have a hard time believing the oven will maintain 180 deg for 10+ minutes without being on, particularly with opening it to put the skates in.

Gas oven, with a bottom burner (when in 'bake' mode).  Is it really the end of the world to leave the oven on to maintain temp?

Mark

The time for tf7 and TF9s according to the sheet that came in the box is most definitely 6 min, it's the customs that are 10 min bake times.   The section for home bake said to use 180° (200° for a shop skate oven) I'm assuming due to the fact that they don't want you to overbake in an oven that isnt as well controlled.

Your cookie sheet and towel method sounds fine to me, however, you gotta preheat and also leave the oven on in my opinion.  The reduced heat and time already takes into account variances in home baking equipment.

Did them one at a time as well.

20 hours ago, PBH said:

The shell is not the same. Similar, but not 100% exactly the same and thus not as thermoformable. The good news is you can easily still bake a TF7/TF9 multiple times without any issues.

Sorry, just for clarity... which boot is more thermoformable?  Retail TF7/9 or the customs?

Also - anyone know how the "stock" skates they put out prior to releasing the TF7/9 compare fit-wise to the newer retail versions?  From the looks of it, very similar to a TF9 boot (carbon shell, etc.).  Seeing some of those on clearance at good prices. 

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Sorry, just for clarity... which boot is more thermoformable?  Retail TF7/9 or the customs?

Also - anyone know how the "stock" skates they put out prior to releasing the TF7/9 compare fit-wise to the newer retail versions?  From the looks of it, very similar to a TF9 boot (carbon shell, etc.).  Seeing some of those on clearance at good prices. 

The custom is significantly more thermoformable than the TF7/TF9. 

In regards to the "stock" skate offered prior to the TF7/TF9, are you specifically referring to the junior skates they offered previously? If so, those are very thermoformable however the carbon layering and such was different so the skates are quite a bit heavier than current generations. 

23 minutes ago, PBH said:

The custom is significantly more thermoformable than the TF7/TF9. 

In regards to the "stock" skate offered prior to the TF7/TF9, are you specifically referring to the junior skates they offered previously? If so, those are very thermoformable however the carbon layering and such was different so the skates are quite a bit heavier than current generations. 

Awesome, thanks.

And yes, I guess they were only available in Jr sizes, didn't realize.  I usually wear a size 5 or 4.5 (small feet, lucky me) so never bothered to see if they were available in Sr. sizes.  I recently tried TF7 on in size 4, with a quick bake, and they would probably work for me, but I did not pull the trigger to make the purchase.  So it sounds like the older "stock" skates are closer to the original custom only skates, than they are to the current retail skates due to improvements in lay-up design and such.  If I was pretty comfortable in a baked TF7 size 4, do you think the "stock" size 4-4.5 skate would work for me?

Not too concerned about weight (unless someone can make a good argument), especially since I currently use Grafs (535 and 735) that I don't think are known for their featherweight.   

7 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Awesome, thanks.

And yes, I guess they were only available in Jr sizes, didn't realize.  I usually wear a size 5 or 4.5 (small feet, lucky me) so never bothered to see if they were available in Sr. sizes.  I recently tried TF7 on in size 4, with a quick bake, and they would probably work for me, but I did not pull the trigger to make the purchase.  So it sounds like the older "stock" skates are closer to the original custom only skates, than they are to the current retail skates due to improvements in lay-up design and such.  If I was pretty comfortable in a baked TF7 size 4, do you think the "stock" size 4-4.5 skate would work for me?

Not too concerned about weight (unless someone can make a good argument), especially since I currently use Grafs (535 and 735) that I don't think are known for their featherweight.   

I think those JR. skates go up to size 5 and they are readily available at a huge discount right now, I purchased a pair of 4.5 for my son, they are well made but a bit heavier than the TF7's and not as polished. 

3 minutes ago, Doodles said:

I think those JR. skates go up to size 5 and they are readily available at a huge discount right now, I purchased a pair of 4.5 for my son, they are well made but a bit heavier than the TF7's and not as polished. 

Yep, thanks.  Why I am asking.  Considering diving in on the stock Jr skate at a deep discount.  Seems for most people the TF7/9 run a 1/2 size large, so you want to size down.  I'm already in a skate that runs a bit tighter length-wise for the given number size (Graf) compared to the other players in the market (CCM/Bauer).  I can comfortably wear a CCM Ribcor 4.5.  In size 5 for Graf.  So I am thinking the True 4-4.5 (believe they have inserts in the toe that give them 1/2 size adjustability) could work for me.  I am pretty confident the TF7 in a 4 is the right size in that model. 

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Yep, thanks.  Why I am asking.  Considering diving in on the stock Jr skate at a deep discount.  Seems for most people the TF7/9 run a 1/2 size large, so you want to size down.  I'm already in a skate that runs a bit tighter length-wise for the given number size (Graf) compared to the other players in the market (CCM/Bauer).  I can comfortably wear a CCM Ribcor 4.5.  In size 5 for Graf.  So I am thinking the True 4-4.5 (believe they have inserts in the toe that give them 1/2 size adjustability) could work for me.  I am pretty confident the TF7 in a 4 is the right size in that model. 

The TF7 and TF9 skates don't have the insert, but the 2019 junior model skates do. The description on the Just Hockey page details the inserts:

True Jr Stock skates have arrived in a limited run, for sizing they are a split size as they have a foam insert in the toe region that can be removed. To give an example on a pair of 4/4.5 they will fit to a size 4 with the foam insert in the toes but with that insert removed they will fit to a size 4.5

https://www.justhockeytoronto.com/products/19214132?variant=31121419141223

The Hockey Supremacy specs also mention the inserts with the 2019 Junior stock skates: If you want a bit more room at the toes, you can take out the cushioning inside the toe cap. This will make the skates longer.

Just Hockey has them listed at 3.5/4, 4/4.5, 4.5/5, 5/5.5 and 5.5/6. Other sites, like Hockey Supremacy and Pro Hockey Life, have them listed from size 4 to 6, including half sizes. I think on a site like Just Hockey you'd need a 4/4.5, but on the other sites that have them listed from size 4 through 6, you may need a 4.5. Trying them on is ideal, but I do understand the 2019 junior skates can be hard to find in all areas and that may not be possible. It'd be a gamble if you bought from a place that didn't allow returns. 

Other differences to note between the stock 2019 junior skates and the 2020 TF7/TF9 skates are:

• The 2019 skates use a different holder and steel. The production of that holder and steel was limited, so it may be harder to find a replacement holder or steel if something happens down the line. I imagine the quality of the steel would be good though since it was made by Step. 
  • The 2019 skates use a rivet to hold in the tendon guard instead of a nut and bolt.

For parents of youth players who are likely to outgrow the boots in a season or two tops, I think the clearance 2019 stock skates would be a great choice. For an adult player that may have the boots for several years and will eventually want to replace the steel, it may be better to grab the TF7 or TF9 on sale with the newer Shift holders and steel so that you don't have to pay to install all new holders and steel when a holder or steel breaks or when the steel wears down. That's of course a moot point if you were already planning to swap the holders for something else. 

The other advantage of the TF7 or TF9 is of course the 30 day satisfaction guarantee at participating stores if you buy before the end of the month. If you buy, sharpen, bake and try the 2019 versions then you'd have to try to resell them to recoup as much money as possible if they don't work for you. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

The TF7 and TF9 skates don't have the insert, but the 2019 junior model skates do. The description on the Just Hockey page details the inserts:

True Jr Stock skates have arrived in a limited run, for sizing they are a split size as they have a foam insert in the toe region that can be removed. To give an example on a pair of 4/4.5 they will fit to a size 4 with the foam insert in the toes but with that insert removed they will fit to a size 4.5

Very helpful.  This gives me more food for thought. 

I was eyeing a "stock" pair on SLS listed as size 4 with a picture of the box showing a handwritten 4-4.5, less than I would pay for a pair of TF7, even with the recent sale.  Plus I have some cash on SLS I could use. 

But, to your point - not returnable, it is a decent amount of cash to take a flyer on (at least for me).  Decisions decisions.