Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

On 12/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, krisdrum said:

Very helpful.  This gives me more food for thought. 

I was eyeing a "stock" pair on SLS listed as size 4 with a picture of the box showing a handwritten 4-4.5, less than I would pay for a pair of TF7, even with the recent sale.  Plus I have some cash on SLS I could use. 

But, to your point - not returnable, it is a decent amount of cash to take a flyer on (at least for me).  Decisions decisions. 

The older gen junior true retail skates are dirt cheap online fyi. Like 200cdn. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The older gen junior true retail skates are dirt cheap online fyi. Like 200cdn. 

Where are you seeing them for that cheap?  I've seen them for about 200usd.  200cdn might be worth it even with the additional taxes and shipping. 

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Where are you seeing them for that cheap?  I've seen them for about 200usd.  200cdn might be worth it even with the additional taxes and shipping. 

Pro Hockey Life and Hockey Supremacy have them for that price, but I don't think either of them ship to the US.

https://hockeysupremacy.com/products/true-junior-hockey-skates-made-in-canada

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/true-jr-hockey-skates?custom=algolia&term=true-jr-hockey-skates&variant=28497445355597

I also came across an ad on Kijiji from a seller in London, ON that is clearing out TF7 and TF9 skates in select sizes: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/london/true-tf9-and-tf7-skates/1597362789

Here are the prices they list (all CAD $):

TF9
Senior $400 (reg $699)
Junior $300 (reg $399)
TF7
Senior $300 (reg $399)
Junior $200 (reg $299)

12 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Pro Hockey Life and Hockey Supremacy have them for that price, but I don't think either of them ship to the US.

https://hockeysupremacy.com/products/true-junior-hockey-skates-made-in-canada

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/true-jr-hockey-skates?custom=algolia&term=true-jr-hockey-skates&variant=28497445355597

I also came across an ad on Kijiji from a seller in London, ON that is clearing out TF7 and TF9 skates in select sizes: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/london/true-tf9-and-tf7-skates/1597362789

Here are the prices they list (all CAD $):

TF9
Senior $400 (reg $699)
Junior $300 (reg $399)
TF7
Senior $300 (reg $399)
Junior $200 (reg $299)

Thanks.  Bummer they don't ship to the US.  Maybe I can convince a friend in BC to receive these and ship them to me.  HA!  According to Google with the current exchange rate, $200 CAD is about $160 USD. 

As an update to my tf9 fitting scenarios, here's where I'm currently at now again.

Coming from super tacks 7.5D most recently, and have had 7.5D mako 2s in the past.

First tried the 7.0R TF9s. Fit felt great upon initial bake. Once on the ice, fit felt instantly sloppy and felt like I had Kleenex boxes for skates.

Went to the 6.5R.  originally thought there was no way I'd fit in them. They felt perfect out of the bake, and pretty good on the ice, but still felt like there was a touch of negative space around the forefoot, and being fully tied in and equipment on, felt like I still had room on the length. Overall, still a big difference over the 7.0s. 

A couple skates with those on the ice and I was still convinced I should at least try 1 smaller just to rule it out.  Grabbed a pair of the 6.0R TF9s yesterday and baked em up.  Following the instructions and leaving the top couple eyelets unlaced, they felt too small upon baking, however I knew this story, I knew that they would give me more length once cooled and fully laced.  As I sit here now with them on and fully laced and sitting, the length is good, maybe a hair too small.  Standing up, I'm definitely into the top cap a little too much, however when knees bent and over the toes in skating position, toes pull back and I would describe it as "perfect" fit.  The forefoot negative space feels better in the 6 than the 6.5 and I like the hug everywhere else in the boot, I've just had such a hard time deciding on the perfect length.  I'm leaning towards staying on the 6 now just because I know the foams should break in even more and give even slightly more length.  

Should I give any thought as to the too small  fit standing up straight? Or only just trust that the fit is good on skating position? And is there any worry that I'm way off the end of the footbed?

Edited by pisani34

9 minutes ago, pisani34 said:

As an update to my tf9 fitting scenarios, here's where I'm currently at now again.

Coming from super tacks 7.5D most recently, and have had 7.5D mako 2s in the past.

First tried the 7.0R TF9s. Fit felt great upon initial bake. Once on the ice, fit felt instantly sloppy and felt like I had Kleenex boxes for skates.

Went to the 6.5R.  originally thought there was no way I'd fit in them. They felt perfect out of the bake, and pretty good on the ice, but still felt like there was a touch of negative space around the forefoot, and being fully tied in and equipment on, felt like I still had room on the length. Overall, still a big difference over the 7.0s. 

A couple skates with those on the ice and I was still convinced I should at least try 1 smaller just to rule it out.  Grabbed a pair of the 6.0R TF9s yesterday and baked em up.  Following the instructions and leaving the top couple eyelets unlaced, they felt too small upon baking, however I knew this story, I knew that they would give me more length once cooled and fully laced.  As I sit here now with them on and fully laced and sitting, the length is good, maybe a hair too small.  Standing up, I'm definitely into the top cap a little too much, however when knees bent and over the toes in skating position, toes pull back and I would describe it as "perfect" fit.  The forefoot negative space feels better in the 6 than the 6.5 and I like the hug everywhere else in the boot, I've just had such a hard time deciding on the perfect length.  I'm leaning towards staying on the 6 now just because I know the foams should break in even more and give even slightly more length.  

Should I give any thought as to the too small  fit standing up straight? Or only just trust that the fit is good on skating position? And is there any worry that I'm way off the end of the footbed?

Can you take a picture of the skate laced no your foot. I am more concerned with how the skate looks on your foot laced. Length is all personal preference. If you dont mind your toes on the toe cap then you should be fine. The foams will compact and break in a little bit, so expect to get about 1/8" of room. 

27 minutes ago, PBH said:

Can you take a picture of the skate laced no your foot. I am more concerned with how the skate looks on your foot laced. Length is all personal preference. If you dont mind your toes on the toe cap then you should be fine. The foams will compact and break in a little bit, so expect to get about 1/8" of room. 

https://goo.gl/photos/P5HG1KWKy3xp4Tc38

Hopefully this shared link works?

2 hours ago, pisani34 said:

I do think these skates are just naturally big in the forefoot. I’ve had this same issue. Im beginning to wonder why they didn’t just start with a narrower last if the boot is that moldable. The toe box also just comes up so high and has so much volume it just feels strange so maybe that’s what I’m feeling

Ive also not been able to figure out if it’s something that’d be fixed with customs as it seems like the toe box is the problem area and from what I’ve heard they don’t change that at all. 

Searching for skates is not fun. If anyone has a suggestion for someone who needs a vapor fit w/ more volume and slightly wider toe box let me know

Edited by crispy92
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

I do think these skates are just naturally big in the forefoot. I’ve had this same issue. Im beginning to wonder why they didn’t just start with a narrower last if the boot is that moldable. The toe box also just comes up so high and has so much volume it just feels strange so maybe that’s what I’m feeling

Ive also not been able to figure out if it’s something that’d be fixed with customs as it seems like the toe box is the problem area and from what I’ve heard they don’t change that at all. 

Searching for skates is not fun. If anyone has a suggestion for someone who needs a vapor fit w/ more volume and slightly wider toe box let me know

Yep I feel you there. Especially having had makos in the past, which were probably some of my favorite toe boxes around.

I'm glad the trues have no issues around the heel and ankle, i find exactly what you said about the forefoot and agree with your points. It does feel closer to what I was expecting in the 6R, but then the length may not work haha

So second bake worked for heel lock it seems from just sitting in my apartment. I tried flexing my foot walking around and they barely moved if at all (although now my toes do not touch unless I reach for the cap.) 

Kinda wish they could use the Saran Wrap on the bottom of the boot from like the 4th lowest eyelet down as my I can lift the balls of my feet off the insole slightly. It almost fits like running shoes where  my toes can splay and move freely. Idk if this is good or bad honestly as the heel is locked but something to note.

2 hours ago, crispy92 said:

So second bake worked for heel lock it seems from just sitting in my apartment. I tried flexing my foot walking around and they barely moved if at all (although now my toes do not touch unless I reach for the cap.) 

Kinda wish they could use the Saran Wrap on the bottom of the boot from like the 4th lowest eyelet down as my I can lift the balls of my feet off the insole slightly. It almost fits like running shoes where  my toes can splay and move freely. Idk if this is good or bad honestly as the heel is locked but something to note.

Where is your tongue positioned? If they are stock height, lower them so they fill up more dead space. Mine are about 1/2 way into the toe box and I also made my version of powerfeet shims that pretty mich eliminate any toe wiggle for me. 

You can use tensor wrap on the lower eyelets. 

This is how I baked mine. GButbSl.jpeg

Edited by Sniper9

54 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Where is your tongue positioned? If they are stock height, lower them so they fill up more dead space. Mine are about 1/2 way into the toe box and I also made my version of powerfeet shims that pretty mich eliminate any toe wiggle for me. 

You can use tensor wrap on the lower eyelets. 

This is how I baked mine. GButbSl.jpeg

I had that sitting in my car when I baked them lmao what a dummy I am. Ya I have the power feet and I’ll have to give them a try. Do you cut them to where the tongue ends or do you just overlap them? My tongues are adjusted to where the end is above where my toe “knuckles” are for lack of a better term. Any lower and the tongue sits weird on the crook of my ankle. 

Would a spot heat with a hair dryer on the forefoot work potentially to get the same affect. Not really trying to bake them a 3rd time. 

Edited by crispy92

19 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

I had that sitting in my car when I baked them lmao what a dummy I am. Ya I have the power feet and I’ll have to give them a try. Do you cut them to where the tongue ends or do you just overlap them? My tongues are adjusted to where the end is above where my toe “knuckles” are for lack of a better term. Any lower and the tongue sits weird on the crook of my ankle. 

Would a spot heat with a hair dryer on the forefoot work potentially to get the same affect. Not really trying to bake them a 3rd time. 

Before u bake just use the powerfoot inserts do whatever works for you and feels comfortable. I made my own out of Eva foam from the dollar store which is much firmer and not like a sponge and won't pack in after a while like powertoots do. 

I am finding with the TF9 that even after dropping to a 6R from a 6.5D in Bauer Vapor 1X, they're still a half size too big. Has anyone else who uses the regular sizing found that they were a full size down from bauer/ccm in true?

My TF9s (all 3 of them) have opened up a bit after use, but I don’t think I could have gone down another half size from what I wore in Bauer. A 1/4 size smaller would likely be perfect, but not worth the money to go customs when the retail skates fit close enough 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSchultz said:

I am finding with the TF9 that even after dropping to a 6R from a 6.5D in Bauer Vapor 1X, they're still a half size too big. Has anyone else who uses the regular sizing found that they were a full size down from bauer/ccm in true?

I’m probably closer to an 8.5 or 8 In the 3x pro when I tried them on and I’m currently down to a 7 and maybe could’ve tried 6.5. After two bakes my twos don’t really touch the cap unless I try

Just now, crispy92 said:

I’m probably closer to an 8.5 or 8 In the 3x pro when I tried them on and I’m currently down to a 7 and maybe could’ve tried 6.5. After two bakes my twos don’t really touch the cap unless I try

Yeah, this is where i am at after 1 bake. I have to try and slide my toes up to touch the cap. Thinking about doing another bake just to see what would happen.

I ended up moving on from my TF9's. I have very low volume feet and the R width was still a bit too deep even with the thicker felt tongues. I also didn't feel comfortable dropping down to a 280 holder from 288. Always felt like I was working harder and not going as fast. Found some new last gen True pro stocks that fit me like a glove. 

1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

I ended up moving on from my TF9's. I have very low volume feet and the R width was still a bit too deep even with the thicker felt tongues. I also didn't feel comfortable dropping down to a 280 holder from 288. Always felt like I was working harder and not going as fast. Found some new last gen True pro stocks that fit me like a glove. 

Nice! I hate dropping down holder sizes. I usually skate on a 271/272 but recently borrowed a friends skates that are pro stock Patrick Kane and they have a 280 holder. I love the 280 holder on a size 7.25 skate. I might actually tinker with going up a holder size!

14 hours ago, JSchultz said:

I am a full size down from my Easton Makos and what I measure on a Brannock, but a half size from my Bauer 3D scan. I wear 8EE Makos, measure 8 on a Brannock, scan as a 7.5 Fit 3 Bauer and have 7W True TF9s converted for inline. Before baking an 8W TF9 was obviously too long, a 7.5W felt perfect and a 7W felt small with my toes hard against the cap. Even after a bake the 7W felt a little tight, but after a second bake and about 10 hours of skating they felt like the right length. If I hadn't watched @Hills video and read sizing comments here before hand, I would have likely went with the 7.5W. 

I would say that you want your toes hard against the cap before baking as long as they're flat and not bent. If you can't feel the front now, I would go down a half size, especially if you are within the 30 day window. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I am a full size down from my Easton Makos and what I measure on a Brannock, but a half size from my Bauer 3D scan. I wear 8EE Makos, measure 8 on a Brannock, scan as a 7.5 Fit 3 Bauer and have 7W True TF9s converted for inline. Before baking an 8W TF9 was obviously too long, a 7.5W felt perfect and a 7W felt small with my toes hard against the cap. Even after a bake the 7W felt a little tight, but after a second bake and about 10 hours of skating they felt like the right length. If I hadn't watched @Hills video and read sizing comments here before hand, I would have likely went with the 7.5W. 

I would say that you want your toes hard against the cap before baking as long as they're flat and not bent. If you can't feel the front now, I would go down a half size, especially if you are within the 30 day window. 

I have fixed 4 people I know personally for sizing issues with the TF skates outside of a store environment since they released... not to mention all of the people online.

Would've been a nice thing for True to acknowledge the sizing discrepancies to ensure people are actually in the correct size skate compared to skates they are used too.

• Like 2

I tried out the 6.0Rs on the ice after having started with a 7.0R, then a 6.5R.  I thought there was no chance 6.0 would've worked, but even with only 1 bake they were near perfect. Maybe 1/4 size too small still if anything (expecting them to open up a tad more with a 2nd bake and usage), but overall this was the fit/feel I was expecting to get. No more forefoot slop, still the same great heel lock, and nice ankle mobility.  For reference, I was a 7.5D mako II, and a 7.5D super tacks.  Definitely not in the norm I'm thinking to have dropped 1.5 sizes, but if anything I would say don't be scared to keep trying smaller.

Edited by pisani34

Another game on my TF9's, and I'm happier with the fit of the boot, but for the life of me still haven't adjusted to the pitch and/or profile.  Almost feeling like being in a 254 holder now is also throwing me off.  I definitely feel too much on the toes, at 2 points yesterday I even hard toe picked into the Ice just going forward stride causing me to trip.

Gonna give them another go tomorrow in a game but then unfortunately I don't have much for hockey in the next 2-3 weeks which eats into my 30 day trial.  Just cannot decide what to do....shim fronts? Prosharp profile stock steel? Switch to my CCM 263 holders and already profiled steel?  

My guess is the Shift holder's forward pitch and small size (because the boots run very large) puts a lot of people on the upward curving toe rocker of the blade when they're used to having more "flat" there to balance on...pretty much the opposite to having the toe of new blades ground down to feel more natural a decade+ ago.

• Like 1

How many hours have you been on the ice with them?  Even minor changes with my blades take me up to ten hours to fully adapt. 

If the boot fits you better than your other skates, you could go the profiling or  changing the holder way.