Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

2 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

The wrap method makes a huge diff. Night and day. Whether you need it or not is a different story. 

Ok, good to know, no one I've talked to locally at the shops felt that way.  I'll see how my skate tonight goes.  With the wrap method do you feel like it snugged the heel area up?  That is my problem area, narrow bumpy heels make it difficult to get good lock a lot of the time.  I've also seen video of SVH "massaging" the heel and achilles area while the boot is on the customer to get a better mold.  Probably want to try that as well. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, krisdrum said:

Anyone know of a shop that carries "spare" TF7/9 footbeds with the arch pieces and the screwdriver/quick change tool?  Just picked up a pair of barely used TF7 off SLS and they didn't come with any of the goodies.  Or should I reach out directly to True to see if I can purchase those items direct?

What size are you? You can have/buy mine. I bought two pairs of TF9s so I have 2 sets of the tool and switched out the footbeds for superfeet. 

8 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

What size are you? You can have/buy mine. I bought two pairs of TF9s so I have 2 sets of the tool and switched out the footbeds for superfeet. 

Wow, thanks, just dropped you a private message. 

Has anyone noticed that the steel in the shift holders sits more towards the heel or is that me. I have a set of the og steel and blade tech steel and both seem ever so slight set back from where they should be in the holder. This holder in particular actually has some front to back play if I pinch the steel and really try and work it front to back. 

You may be able to tell in the photos but the plastic in the heel of the holder is actually being chipped away. Also yes it’s the proper length steel and It’s properly seated in the front. 

https://imgur.com/a/S0T9yIR

https://imgur.com/a/6lS3fAp

https://imgur.com/a/08qBHdT

3 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Has anyone noticed that the steel in the shift holders sits more towards the heel or is that me. I have a set of the og steel and blade tech steel and both seem ever so slight set back from where they should be in the holder. This holder in particular actually has some front to back play if I pinch the steel and really try and work it front to back. 

You may be able to tell in the photos but the plastic in the heel of the holder is actually being chipped away. Also yes it’s the proper length steel and It’s properly seated in the front. 

Seems off to me at the front of the holder.  My SS TF7 blades look similar at the back of the holder (slight overhang) and quick release engagement (I can see a sliver of the steel in the window).  The front of my holders are a bit worn down, but I don't recall that much gap between toe of blade and front of holder.  

On 2/24/2022 at 3:25 PM, crispy92 said:

I was in a store today and had a look at four pairs of True skates.  Every single one of them looked exactly like yours.  Small overhang at the rear and a small gap at the front.

Hey all.

I am struggling with fitting the tf9's. I live in Hawaii, so I blind ordered a a pair in size 8.5, as my previous skates I had were Supreme 190s in 9.5. After the first skate my feet were bleeding from all the movement, and my heel was not locked in at all. I sent them back and when another half size down, and I still can't get a proper heel lock and have no stability. My toes are barely touching the lip in front of the toe cap. I tried another bake wrapping the luggage wrap at tight as possible, but they were still way too big, and I feel like I have no stability.

I am going to try one more time, and I am thinking of dropping a full size down to size 7, as these boots seem to open up like crazy after baking and skating in them. So I guess my question is does anybody here regret going too small? It seems like the common sentiment is "I could have gone a half size down" around here. 

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Figured this was the best thread for my inquiry and better than starting a new question thread.

I have wide feet and a very high instep.  I currently wear Nexus 7000's in 7EE but they are on their way out and don't fit me very well anymore after having lost a bunch of weight. Also, my left foot is slightly skinnier than my right.

I tried the TF7's the other day in 6.5R, 6.5W, and 6W.

6.5R felt quite tight in the fore/mid foot(not painfully, just uncomfortably, especially my right foot), tight in the heel, and the volume was quite shallow(I barely pass the pencil test on my Nexus EE's). Didn't try them baked.

6.5W felt very roomy in the fore/mid foot(especially my left), decent heel lock on my right foot but too lose on my left, and the volume was much better(I may just barely fail if I did the pencil test). Tried them baked and the fit didn't change very much(I think the employee didn't heat them long enough).

6W probably felt the best over all but still had issues. Slightly tighter than the 6.5W in the fore/mid foot(though my left was still looser than my right), slightly tighter in the heel(left heel still couldn't lock in though), and the volume felt the same is the 6.5W. Didn't try them baked as I had to go back to work.

Based on your experiences, which of the sizes had the best fit for me?  Would baking the 6.5W(and 6W)for a longer time than the store did produce better results? Would they be able to "shrink" and hug my fore/mid foot better if I did the wrap method on it the same way the heels would?  Would my left heel be able to lock in with the wrap method?

Or, were the 6.5R's the best fit for me? If I got them baked appropriately, would they have loosened up and felt much better and looser over all? Would baking them increase the volume of the skate somehow?

Thanks in advance!

As above, long time lurker, first time poster... 

Last night in a rec game, my Mako II's finally buckled and fractured all the way up the side (they served me well for 7 years to be fair). 

My question is, the Makos in an 8.5D were the comfiest skates i've ever worn, literally felt like another part of my leg. From the research I have done, the TF9's fit almost identicle to the Makos? 

So if the Mako 8.5D was a perfect fit, should I opt for an 8.5R in the TF9's? Nearest shop is nearly 4 hours each way for trying on, so thats not ideal...

Cheers

30 minutes ago, Mavid said:

From the research I have done, the TF9's fit almost identicle to the Makos? 

So if the Mako 8.5D was a perfect fit, should I opt for an 8.5R in the TF9's? Nearest shop is nearly 4 hours each way for trying on, so thats not ideal...

Sizing with Mako and TF9 is rather different for me. Just slipped into my old 8.5EE Mako 2 (not worn in years, also some weight-loss) and length-wise it still fit ("feathering the toecap"), but in my TF9 I now wear 7.5R with the same feathering.

If you can combine the drive to the shop with something else (business travel, vacation, ...) I'd highly recommend the travel, otherwise email your preferred retailer and ask if they can ship you multiple sizes to try and you return all but one of them (with you picking up return shipment cost). I did so with a small regional retailer during a lockdown, they were happy to do so.

17 minutes ago, gosinger said:

Sizing with Mako and TF9 is rather different for me. Just slipped into my old 8.5EE Mako 2 (not worn in years, also some weight-loss) and length-wise it still fit ("feathering the toecap"), but in my TF9 I now wear 7.5R with the same feathering.

If you can combine the drive to the shop with something else (business travel, vacation, ...) I'd highly recommend the travel, otherwise email your preferred retailer and ask if they can ship you multiple sizes to try and you return all but one of them (with you picking up return shipment cost). I did so with a small regional retailer during a lockdown, they were happy to do so.

Thanks man, appreciate that. Going to delay a couple of weeks and try and visit some family a couple of weekends from now and work it around that! 

Much appreciated!

7 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

6.5R felt quite tight in the fore/mid foot(not painfully, just uncomfortably, especially my right foot), tight in the heel, and the volume was quite shallow(I barely pass the pencil test on my Nexus EE's). Didn't try them baked

I would give the 6.5R a chance. I initially thought that my 6.5R TF7 would be too small for me, and I changed the tongue for a pro one. After two additional saran-bakes and 20h on the ice they had been ok. After about 6 months with 3 hours of hockey a week they are perfect and I think that the felt tongues would have been ok for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

Figured this was the best thread for my inquiry and better than starting a new question thread.

I have wide feet and a very high instep.  I currently wear Nexus 7000's in 7EE but they are on their way out and don't fit me very well anymore after having lost a bunch of weight. Also, my left foot is slightly skinnier than my right.

6.5R felt quite tight in the fore/mid foot(not painfully, just uncomfortably, especially my right foot), tight in the heel, and the volume was quite shallow(I barely pass the pencil test on my Nexus EE's). Didn't try them baked.

6.5W felt very roomy in the fore/mid foot(especially my left), decent heel lock on my right foot but too lose on my left, and the volume was much better(I may just barely fail if I did the pencil test). Tried them baked and the fit didn't change very much(I think the employee didn't heat them long enough).

6W probably felt the best over all but still had issues. Slightly tighter than the 6.5W in the fore/mid foot(though my left was still looser than my right), slightly tighter in the heel(left heel still couldn't lock in though), and the volume felt the same is the 6.5W. Didn't try them baked as I had to go back to work.

Based on your experiences, which of the sizes had the best fit for me?  Would baking the 6.5W(and 6W)for a longer time than the store did produce better results? Would they be able to "shrink" and hug my fore/mid foot better if I did the wrap method on it the same way the heels would?  Would my left heel be able to lock in with the wrap method?

Or, were the 6.5R's the best fit for me? If I got them baked appropriately, would they have loosened up and felt much better and looser over all? Would baking them increase the volume of the skate somehow?

Thanks in advance!

I would go 6W as they will open up a bit with use. Also, if volume is an issue, you can easily swap out the current tongues for the thinner pro tongues which will help relieve that pressure. Good luck

12 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

Thanks in advance!

I would go 6W as they will open up a bit with use. Also, if volume is an issue, you can easily swap out the current tongues for the thinner pro tongues which will help relieve that pressure. Good luck

5 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

I would give the 6.5R a chance. I initially thought that my 6.5R TF7 would be too small for me, and I changed the tongue for a pro one. After two additional saran-bakes and 20h on the ice they had been ok. After about 6 months with 3 hours of hockey a week they are perfect and I think that the felt tongues would have been ok for me.

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

Thanks for the responses!

Is the 30 day satisfaction guarantee still a thing or did it end in December? I'd give both sizes a go if that was the case.

13 minutes ago, ThisisBen said:

Is the 30 day satisfaction guarantee still a thing or did it end in December? I'd give both sizes a go if that was the case.

Not sure about that sorry

If the 6W fit without baking, I might even try a 5.5 or a 6R.  They open up significantly.  Baking is an absolute MUST in trying these on.  I would not go for the 6.5.  I'm in size 4R, and constantly debate whether I could go down to a 3.5.  I have some room, but my ring and pinky toes are slightly more than brushing the cap, so I've stuck with the 4, as I think the 3.5 would be uncomfortable on those toes even though I have a bit of room on my other toes.  For comparison, I was in Grafs in a 5W and Ribcor in a 4.5D to get similar length and width.  The TF7s are still wider than either.

Most of the shops around me have told me they do not recommend the saran wrap method.  I still don't understand entirely why, except for the time involved.  A good compromise is to have them "massage" the warm boot around your foot.  I just did this on a second bake of my right boot, pressing in on the ankle and heel area and it seems to have tightened it up.   

I just picked up a pair of TF9s as well and the difference in the tongues is noticeable.  If you feel like you need a bit more volume and room in the TF7, check out swapping the tongues to the thinner TF9 version.  I'll have my first skate on them tonight and can report back how they feel in action. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

I know they have extended the 30 days, but not sure they've stated when that is good until.  And I believe the dealer has to agree to participate in the 30 days, so I'd check with your local stores.   

1 hour ago, hockeydad3 said:

@ Thisisben

How long are your feet in mm?

According to my very unscientific method of putting a ruler under my feet, both measure at 26cm(260mm)

17 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I just picked up a pair of TF9s as well and the difference in the tongues is noticeable.  If you feel like you need a bit more volume and room in the TF7, check out swapping the tongues to the thinner TF9 version.  I'll have my first skate on them tonight and can report back how they feel in action.

The jury is out, but the different tongues do make a difference.  The TF9 thin tongue gave me more volume and the sense of a bit more width, which lead to the boot feeling a little sloppy compared to my TF7 in the forefoot.  I've been skating the TF7 a few times a week for over a month and have found them very comfortable.  Part of that is likely due to the thick felt tongue.  Need to try the TF9 a few more times as set up and very likely try them with the felt tongue as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:13 PM, krisdrum said:

If the 6W fit without baking, I might even try a 5.5 or a 6R.  They open up significantly.  Baking is an absolute MUST in trying these on.  I would not go for the 6.5.  I'm in size 4R, and constantly debate whether I could go down to a 3.5.  I have some room, but my ring and pinky toes are slightly more than brushing the cap, so I've stuck with the 4, as I think the 3.5 would be uncomfortable on those toes even though I have a bit of room on my other toes.  For comparison, I was in Grafs in a 5W and Ribcor in a 4.5D to get similar length and width.  The TF7s are still wider than either.

Most of the shops around me have told me they do not recommend the saran wrap method.  I still don't understand entirely why, except for the time involved.  A good compromise is to have them "massage" the warm boot around your foot.  I just did this on a second bake of my right boot, pressing in on the ankle and heel area and it seems to have tightened it up.   

Saran wrap absolutely locks the boot in place as it cools. Regular baking method relaxes the boot to conform around your foot but not necessarily negates all the negative space. You can reduce the space by tightening the laces a bit more but that generally works better for traditional boots by Bauer etc where the eyelet facings are more flexible and further apart. With trues, once they are cooled down and cured the boot and facings are pretty rock hard. 

I rebaked my custom trues for the first time in three years and didn't have saran wrap os just laced them and massaged them. Worked fine but I def can tell they arent as locked in. I tighten the laces a bit more and that solves it but prior I would barely even need to put any tension don't the laces. Personally, for trues, id always use the saran wrap method. Even for other skates I'd use it as well especially for the top three eyelets because skates like Bauer don't really get that soft, and in order to get a really good wrap you have to put some stress on the eyelets during baking and I'd rather not.  Imo, using a wrap around the ankle and top eyelets would give you way more wrap without any tension on the eyelets. That's just me though. 

I just got some 3s pros and I did the first bake. I'm going to skate on them this weekend and if I feel I need another bake, I'm def going to use saran wrap. Alternatively, you can massage the boot around your foot so the eyelet facings contour and fold over then lace it up so you're not relying just on the laces to get the eyelet facings to wrap 

On 3/4/2022 at 12:39 AM, ThisisBen said:

According to my very unscientific method of putting a ruler under my feet, both measure at 26cm(260mm)

My longer foot is 25,6cm long. When standing my big toe is touching the lip and barely feathering the toecap. In hockeystance the big toe is barely feathering the lip. Both after a half year of use. The True sizing chart shows 25,5 cm for a size 6.5 skate and 25,1cm for a size6.0 skate.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:56 PM, Sniper9 said:

Saran wrap absolutely locks the boot in place as it cools. Regular baking method relaxes the boot to conform around your foot but not necessarily negates all the negative space. You can reduce the space by tightening the laces a bit more but that generally works better for traditional boots by Bauer etc where the eyelet facings are more flexible and further apart. With trues, once they are cooled down and cured the boot and facings are pretty rock hard. 

I rebaked my custom trues for the first time in three years and didn't have saran wrap os just laced them and massaged them. Worked fine but I def can tell they arent as locked in. I tighten the laces a bit more and that solves it but prior I would barely even need to put any tension don't the laces. Personally, for trues, id always use the saran wrap method. Even for other skates I'd use it as well especially for the top three eyelets because skates like Bauer don't really get that soft, and in order to get a really good wrap you have to put some stress on the eyelets during baking and I'd rather not.  Imo, using a wrap around the ankle and top eyelets would give you way more wrap without any tension on the eyelets. That's just me though. 

I just got some 3s pros and I did the first bake. I'm going to skate on them this weekend and if I feel I need another bake, I'm def going to use saran wrap. Alternatively, you can massage the boot around your foot so the eyelet facings contour and fold over then lace it up so you're not relying just on the laces to get the eyelet facings to wrap 

I have no doubt the saran wrap method is better.  Unfortunately I have been unable to find a shop near me to actually do it for me.  All of them have said - just a normal bake with these is 'good enough', we didn't notice a difference in using the wrap method.  Luckily I've gotten them to fit me pretty well, but may keep looking for some place to do the saran wrap.  Or try it at home, although it seems like it is a 2 person job to do it correctly.