Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I have no doubt the saran wrap method is better.  Unfortunately I have been unable to find a shop near me to actually do it for me.  All of them have said - just a normal bake with these is 'good enough', we didn't notice a difference in using the wrap method.  Luckily I've gotten them to fit me pretty well, but may keep looking for some place to do the saran wrap.  Or try it at home, although it seems like it is a 2 person job to do it correctly. 

I did it myself at home, one skate at a time. It went well with one of these stretch wraps with the handle:

Stretch Wrap

Edited by Larry54

38 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

I did it myself at home, one skate at a time. It went well with one of these stretch wraps with the handle:

Stretch Wrap

Yup do it at home. Especially with trues it's hit or miss. Usually miss regarding the staff heat moulding them properly. 

The stretch wrap can also we found at some dollar stores for much cheaper than home Depot etc. But even then it's not that expensive.  I got this exact same one bc my local dollar store didn't carry it anymore. But I'm pretty sure this roll is at least three times more than the one I got at the dollar store. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Stretch Wrap

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Yup do it at home. Especially with trues it's hit or miss. Usually miss regarding the staff heat moulding them properly. 

The stretch wrap can also we found at some dollar stores for much cheaper than home Depot etc. But even then it's not that expensive.  I got this exact same one bc my local dollar store didn't carry it anymore. But I'm pretty sure this roll is at least three times more than the one I got at the dollar store. 

Thanks both.  I'll have a look at my local hardware stores and the like to see what I can find. 

Temp for baking at home?  180F for 6 minutes?

20 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Thanks both.  I'll have a look at my local hardware stores and the like to see what I can find. 

Temp for baking at home?  180F for 6 minutes?

https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/71678-vh-footweartrue-by-scott-van-horne/?do=findComment&comment=1076013

I did 20 minutes in a conventional oven for each skate, flipping it over halfway, but I monitored the temperature with a digital thermometer to leave nothing to chance since my oven heats a little hotter than the dial indicates.

Edited by Larry54

26 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/71678-vh-footweartrue-by-scott-van-horne/?do=findComment&comment=1076013

I did 20 minutes in a conventional oven for each skate, flipping it over halfway, but I monitored the temperature with a digital thermometer to leave nothing to chance since my oven heats a little hotter than the dial indicates.

Really?  That looks like it is for the customs.  Which I understand need to heat for longer than the retail boots. 

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

I'm pretty sure the latest from True is 6-8 minutes baking time in a conventional oven, down from 10 minutes originally.

4 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Really?  That looks like it is for the customs.  Which I understand need to heat for longer than the retail boots. 

Maybe someone like PBH could clear this up before you go ahead and bake them, then.

Where exactly does the moldability of the skates begin and end?

Tried the TF7's in 6.5R again and after I got them "baked" at my PHL, it was a little too tight on my outside mid-foot where the toecap has the big "True" logo on it.

Would doing a proper(longer) bake mold that area better and open it up more or does that area not budge at all?

1 hour ago, ThisisBen said:

Where exactly does the moldability of the skates begin and end?

Tried the TF7's in 6.5R again and after I got them "baked" at my PHL, it was a little too tight on my outside mid-foot where the toecap has the big "True" logo on it.

Would doing a proper(longer) bake mold that area better and open it up more or does that area not budge at all?

Why is baked in quotes?  Did the shop not do a full bake?  Could suggest several approaches to remedy - but unclear what was done.  Maybe another bake would help.  Maybe you need that area punched out a bit. 

You also said you were able to get into a size 6 without baking if memory serves.  Why go back to the 6.5?

FYI - I saw your were debating sizing above.  I measure out about 24cm on both feet.  True's size chart would put me in a 4.5.  I'm more than comfortable in a 4, with debatable room to spare.  And I fit other skates that have a stated length of 23.9 perfectly.  The Trues run long and wide. 

Edited by krisdrum

11 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Why is baked in quotes?  Did the shop not do a full bake?  Could suggest several approaches to remedy - but unclear what was done.  Maybe another bake would help.  Maybe you need that area punched out a bit. 

You also said you were able to get into a size 6 without baking if memory serves.  Why go back to the 6.5?

FYI - I saw your were debating sizing above.  I measure out about 24cm on both feet.  True's size chart would put me in a 4.5.  I'm more than comfortable in a 4, with debatable room to spare.  And I fit other skates that have a stated length of 23.9 perfectly.  The Trues run long and wide. 

The 6W's are a little too wide overall but I can't go smaller as my toes are at my comfort limit at the end of the toe cap.  The 6R's are too tight and my heels can't sit in the pocket properly causing my toes discomfort against the cap(both scenarios were after getting them baked).

I figured the 6.5R's would run slightly wider than the 6R's and I don't mind the bit of extra toe cap length as long as my heel is properly locked in.

The PHL's I've gone to are pretty hesitant about the idea of baking to try the skates without purchasing them. They only put the skates in for 5 minutes max and based on everything I've read on this thread, they aren't nearly warm or soft enough when they give them to me to put on. Doesn't feel any different from when I've baked and put on CCM/Bauer skates.

16 minutes ago, ThisisBen said:

The 6W's are a little too wide overall but I can't go smaller as my toes are at my comfort limit at the end of the toe cap.  The 6R's are too tight and my heels can't sit in the pocket properly causing my toes discomfort against the cap(both scenarios were after getting them baked).

I figured the 6.5R's would run slightly wider than the 6R's and I don't mind the bit of extra toe cap length as long as my heel is properly locked in.

The PHL's I've gone to are pretty hesitant about the idea of baking to try the skates without purchasing them. They only put the skates in for 5 minutes max and based on everything I've read on this thread, they aren't nearly warm or soft enough when they give them to me to put on. Doesn't feel any different from when I've baked and put on CCM/Bauer skates.

Sounds like you may not be getting a fair shake at these.  My understanding is True's policy is the skate MUST be baked in order to be properly tried on - similar to Makos (which VH helped design).  Although doesn't sound like you are too far off.  Believe they recommend 6-8 minutes, so they might be shorting you a few minutes of heat. 

How much discomfort are you experiencing with the smaller sizes?  Are the toes curled?  Or straight but just harder than you'd like against the cap?  They will continue to open up and break in as you skate in them.  So you might want to factor that in as well.  And there is also the variable of the tongues.  The felt gives me a much snugger fit than the pro style.  I'm probably going to stick with the felt. 

With the 30 day guarantee - worst case - get them baked properly - skate in them for a month and see if they work. 

Edited by krisdrum

34 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Sounds like you may not be getting a fair shake at these.  My understanding is True's policy is the skate MUST be baked in order to be properly tried on - similar to Makos (which VH helped design).  Although doesn't sound like you are too far off.  Believe they recommend 6-8 minutes, so they might be shorting you a few minutes of heat. 

How much discomfort are you experiencing with the smaller sizes?  Are the toes curled?  Or straight but just harder than you'd like against the cap?  They will continue to open up and break in as you skate in them.  So you might want to factor that in as well.  And there is also the variable of the tongues.  The felt gives me a much snugger fit than the pro style.  I'm probably going to stick with the felt. 

With the 30 day guarantee - worst case - get them baked properly - skate in them for a month and see if they work. 

Yeah, biggest hockey shop in Ontario is Pro Hockey Life. Great selection of products but very spotty employees. It seems that most of the people that work there are younger guys with limited knowledge and training.

Size 6 feels ideal in terms of length. R is too tight in the midfoot and upper? midfoot and didn't change much after baking. W felt pretty good but, taking into account the boot opening up more with time on them, I feel they would become too loose in the midfoot. I also couldn't get a proper heel lock on the W's(especially my smaller left heel) but that could probably be fixed with the wrap method or clamp method.

I can't go lower than 6 since my toes already brush against the cap and they don't offer W in the smaller sizes.

4 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

Yeah, biggest hockey shop in Ontario is Pro Hockey Life. Great selection of products but very spotty employees. It seems that most of the people that work there are younger guys with limited knowledge and training.

Size 6 feels ideal in terms of length. R is too tight in the midfoot and upper? midfoot and didn't change much after baking. W felt pretty good but, taking into account the boot opening up more with time on them, I feel they would become too loose in the midfoot. I also couldn't get a proper heel lock on the W's(especially my smaller left heel) but that could probably be fixed with the wrap method or clamp method.

I can't go lower than 6 since my toes already brush against the cap and they don't offer W in the smaller sizes.

Ontario should have tonnes of hockey shops. Doesn't have to be a big one.  Phl is pretty much sport chek but sells only hockey. Maybe slightly more educated.... They are owned by FGL as well so.. go to an actual hockey shop. 

Update:

Bought the 6W from another location and they feel more snug than the original 6W I tried(theory: was probably baked and tried on by a person with wider feet than me previously).  Heel lock could still be a bit better so I will try the clamp method and see how that goes.

I've gone on a few skates with them and though they feel great and are very responsive, I'm having trouble adjusting to how aggressively pitched forward they feel.  Anyone with experience know how I can make them more similar to my old skates?(size 263, Nexus 7000 Skates, whatever default profile is on the blades)

I also asked for a 5/8 sharpen and they dig a lot deeper than I'm used to. Is this a sharpening error? Or is this a natural thing with True skates and the Shift holder/runner?

Also, If I wanted to put Tuuks on my Trues, can I put 263's on them or do I have to stick with 254's?

13 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

Update:

Bought the 6W from another location and they feel more snug than the original 6W I tried(theory: was probably baked and tried on by a person with wider feet than me previously).  Heel lock could still be a bit better so I will try the clamp method and see how that goes.

I've gone on a few skates with them and though they feel great and are very responsive, I'm having trouble adjusting to how aggressively pitched forward they feel.  Anyone with experience know how I can make them more similar to my old skates?(size 263, Nexus 7000 Skates, whatever default profile is on the blades)

I also asked for a 5/8 sharpen and they dig a lot deeper than I'm used to. Is this a sharpening error? Or is this a natural thing with True skates and the Shift holder/runner?

Also, If I wanted to put Tuuks on my Trues, can I put 263's on them or do I have to stick with 254's?

You can put the 263 if you want. Any reputable hockey shop should be able to. 

It's always been recommended to go a hollow less with trues bc of the feeling of increased bite. This probably has more to do with the responsiveness of the skate than anything. 

You can change the pitch or the skate by profiling or shims or swapping holders back to what you're used to. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

You can put the 263 if you want. Any reputable hockey shop should be able to. 

It's always been recommended to go a hollow less with trues bc of the feeling of increased bite. This probably has more to do with the responsiveness of the skate than anything. 

You can't change the pitch or the skate by profiling or shims or swapping holders back to what you're used to. 

I think @Sniper9 means "can" in that last sentence.  I'd probably look at profiling your blades before swapping hardware or adding shims.   

To echo his statement - I switched from my standard 5/8" hollow to enjoying a 7/8" hollow on my Trues.  Happened to be the wheel my buddy had in his machine, so I figured why not give it a try.  Skated on it twice so far and still adjusting, but am liking the lack of bite.  Will probably stick with it.  The Trues definitely bite harder.  My nephew who is in custom Trues has moved to a 1 3/8" hollow and loves it. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2022 at 5:13 AM, ThisisBen said:

Update:

A tight fitting, stiff skate gives you more bite, I made the same experience with my trues. It will take you at least 10h on the ice to adjust to such a major change. Go to a shallower hollow(3/4") and have fun with your new skates. I didn't like the stock profile and made a very good experience with an unmodified  Quad XS profile on my 254mm 6.5 TF7, excellent agility and good stability. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, hockeydad3 said:

It will take you at least 10h on the ice to adjust to such a major change.

I meant adjusting to a completely different skate.

The skates need more than 20h to break in and a rebake with saran. You could try a different profile. And if you you aren't satisfied with your skates after this procedures it's time to think about an exchange of the holders. 

5 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

The skates need more than 20h to break in and a rebake with saran. You could try a different profile. And if you you aren't satisfied with your skates after this procedures it's time to think about an exchange of the holders. 

For me I didn't need much of an adjustment with true skates when I went from my Bauer one100s years ago. They were so comfortable and responsive. I did however get them when they came with the step vh holders and had the steel profiled to the same profile as my old skates. 

7 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

At some point the logical conclusion has to be drawn that these might not be the right skates for people who want to re-engineer the entire skate to match the feel of a previous owned skate. Easy enough to go back to what they had before and it's not that difficult to find second hand skates that have been hardly used, if you have the patience to search for them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Oof. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I've never had to spend 20 hours to break in properly fitting skates. Coming from a decade of various Bauers into Trues, the only thing I did was swap holders and bake them. First skate onward they felt like a dream. Only had one minor issue fixing a hot spot on the inner arch, but beyond that True skates have been amazing for my feet

1 hour ago, Fonetiks007 said:

I need help. I usually wear 8.5 D (fit2) in Bauer Vapors. What size should I get in True TF9’s? 8 or 7.5? 

You need to try them on. If necessary, order a few sizes, try them at home, and keep the one that’s so tight you almost can’t get your foot in. These loosen up with a little use. You’ll get more comfort in the long run and better performance by going as snug as possible.

• Like 1