Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Have a week or so on my tf9s, and I am wondering if I didn't heat them up enough in the first bake. The eyelets are not nearly as wrapped and form fitting as many others look, and I have to really crank the laces in order to get a snug fit and heel lock. I also have quite a few hot spots that get pretty uncomfortable after an hour of skating. Toes are up against the cap and the width is good, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the right size. 

I have to bake them at home, (not many hockey shops in Hawaii) so I did 6 minutes at 180 in a conventional oven. Used the luggage wrap method and went as tight as possible. It made the skate tighter (narrower) but didn't pull the eyelets around the tongue. They seemed pretty warm but still much stiffer than I remember my previous skates being coming out of a pro shop oven. It is a brand new oven and has a convection setting, so I am wondering if that would be better. Also if I can leave them in longer and/or go hotter.

Yes, use the convection setting. The skate ovens at the store are smaller convection ovens. Preheat to 200 Fahrenheit and bake the skates one at a time for 10 minutes. You can put a damp tea towel on a pizza tray and then put the skates on that. Flip them at the 5 minute mark to ensure they're evenly heated. 

6 minutes at 180 isn't long enough or hot enough. Obviously having access to a shop with a proper oven is ideal, but I have baked Kor, Mako and True skates at home with the convection setting successfully. I have also had Kors and Makos baked at a shop and the results felt the same to my feet. 

So I made an "impulse" buy, and bought a pair of TF7's the other day, and played in them for the first time last night. 

A little background- I'll be 45 years old later this year. I've played hockey since I was 5. I'd say skating is the strongest aspect of my game, and always has been. 

I had just bought a pair of FT4 Pro's back in January, to replace my beat AS1 Super Tacks. I've always been a CCM guy when it comes to skates. The exception being a few pairs of Reeboks throughout the years.  CCM skates (skates only) are the only brand of hockey equipment/gear that I've been mostly loyal to my entire life. (Still remember getting fitted for my Super Tacks that I paid for with my own paper route money back before middle school hockey season in the late 80s).

I have zero issues with the FT4 Pro's. It's a great skate, that I've really grown to like how they feel and perform. The purchase of the TF7's have nothing to do with needing new skates or any issues with the FT4's. As I said- the TF7 were a total impulse buy.

I essentially walked out of the store with senior TF7's for a hair under $200.00 after all discounts were applied. I figured at that price, if I didn't like them, or they didnt work for me, I could pretty easily recoup my money. 

So, I had them baked per the instructions in store. I opted not to do the wrap in store right then and there. It was suggested that I do the initial bake, then try them out a few times.  Then if I needed to go back for another bake, or a bake and a wrap if it were needed, we could do that. The skates were also hand sharpened to my preferred 1/2". I'm also down half a size in the True skates. I'm a 10 in most CCM models. In the Trues, my foot floated in the 10. Was way too tight through the mid foot in both a 9 and 9 wide. 9.5 felt the best, and that's where I ended up.

Skates seemed to bake great. The wrap was pretty solid. Heel was completely locked in. Decent volume. In store I was very pleased with how they felt after the bake. So I pulled the trigger.

I tried them on a few times around the house on Saturday and Sunday. Like many of you, it's an adjustment trying to figure out the best way to get them on and off. As well as lacing the top two eyelets again, as I need to undo them entirely to even think about getting the skate off. It's tough with the tongue position to lace the last few eyelets, even with the skate off.

Both of these can be very time consuming until you get more used to the most effective ways of getting the skates on/off and lacing them. I'm glad I did a few practice runs before heading to the rink. 

The only thing I found concerning at this point was that my pinky toe on my left foot was rubbing up against that rubber bumper piece in the toe box of the left skate (Note- I was not in actual skate socks). I felt inside the skate, and felt like this was something I could remove altogether (if needed), or at the very least use a Dremel and sort of clean out some space right there. So that was one thing I wanted to keep an eye on during my first skate. 

Cut to my first skate in them. Standard pickup with friends last night. Most played college hockey in some form, so while we are older, it's still a pretty good skate, with a good pace. 

After I got them on, the first thing I noticed was that little rubber piece that was rubbing my pinky toe wasn't as noticeable. This continued to feel fine throughout the skate, and was no longer a concern I had by the end. 

The boot felt great throughout the entire hour and a half skate. I don't think I've ever just put on a pair of skates that the boot was this comfortable, and I got such good heel lock essentially right out of the gate. Kinda crazy considering even at MSRP this skate is around 1/3 the cost of the skates I had just purchased a few months prior, and fresh out of the box- the True's felt better.

The issue though- was actually skating in them. The absolute best way I can describe it was, I felt like I was in goalie skates. I know that doesn't make a ton of sense, I just felt like the steel felt very "long", and flat. It definitely had an edge, but just felt way off.

I was not comfortable with anything other than straight-line acceleration. I understand that new skates take time to get used to, it's just I felt like Bambi out there at times. Specifically on quick/hard stops, and crossing over. It's the worst I've skated in new skates in a very long time.

So this is something I need to try and understand, and alleviate. A few variables I'm considering are that I've been on 287 CCM holders for what feels like forever now. My TF7'S have a 280 holder. 

Second, I've been using a 1/2" ring on the Sparx Machine I own for over 5 years now. The sharpening I got in store was by hand, by a very reputable Sharpener here in MA. However, these felt soooo much sharper and had way more bite it seemed than I've ever experienced prior. 

So I'm going to try and start small to fix these issues. Easiest thing is to try a different sharpening. Maybe go down to a 5/8 or something. I'll try different things. Maybe put my Superfeet in them.  I'm just hopefull I won't have to reach the point where a complete holder and steel swap to CCM holders with Step is what's needed to fix this. 

Anyhow, apologies for the long and all over the place post. My initial impressions are you get an absolute ton of value at this price point if you can make these skates work for you. Hoping I can get there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

Like many of you, it's an adjustment trying to figure out the best way to get them on and off. As well as lacing the top two eyelets again, as I need to undo them entirely to even think about getting the skate off. It's tough with the tongue position to lace the last few eyelets, even with the skate off.

For the top two eyelets, thread the laces through the eyelets behind the tongue and then pull the laces over. It's much easier that way. Trying to thread the laces through the eyelets with the lace in front of the tongue is really tough. 

As for the feel issue, I only have TF9s converted to roller, so I don't know how they feel on ice, but I know most people that go from another brand to True ice skates end up having to go with a shallower hollow; so, that's definitely a good starting point. If the boots felt comfortable, I personally wouldn't change the footbed. I'd start with the hollow and if that didn't fix it, I'd consider getting them profiled.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

I also think the hollow is the right place to start.  I dropped from my standard 5/8 (even 9/16 sometimes) to 7/8 with very little adjustment and no loss of control and the skates are much easier to "slide out" now, but still plenty grippy when I need/want it.  My nephew who is in custom Trues went all the way to a 1 3/8 cut and loves it.  Granted his edge work is impeccable, but I think that also says something about how effectively the boot transfers body movement into the ice.  

I was in Ribcor 76Ks just prior to getting the Trues and I didn't feel much of a change pitch-wise.  But I didn't go down a runner size in the Trues. 

And I second the "behind the tongue" lacing approach for the top 1-2 eyelets.  So much easier than trying to cram it through in front of the tongue.  I'm surprised the shop you bought them from did not give you this tip at purchase. 

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

So I made an "impulse" buy, and bought a pair of TF7's the other day, and played in them for the first time last night. 

A little background- I'll be 45 years old later this year. I've played hockey since I was 5. I'd say skating is the strongest aspect of my game, and always has been. 

I had just bought a pair of FT4 Pro's back in January, to replace my beat AS1 Super Tacks. I've always been a CCM guy when it comes to skates. The exception being a few pairs of Reeboks throughout the years.  CCM skates (skates only) are the only brand of hockey equipment/gear that I've been mostly loyal to my entire life. (Still remember getting fitted for my Super Tacks that I paid for with my own paper route money back before middle school hockey season in the late 80s).

I have zero issues with the FT4 Pro's. It's a great skate, that I've really grown to like how they feel and perform. The purchase of the TF7's have nothing to do with needing new skates or any issues with the FT4's. As I said- the TF7 were a total impulse buy.

I essentially walked out of the store with senior TF7's for a hair under $200.00 after all discounts were applied. I figured at that price, if I didn't like them, or they didnt work for me, I could pretty easily recoup my money. 

So, I had them baked per the instructions in store. I opted not to do the wrap in store right then and there. It was suggested that I do the initial bake, then try them out a few times.  Then if I needed to go back for another bake, or a bake and a wrap if it were needed, we could do that. The skates were also hand sharpened to my preferred 1/2". I'm also down half a size in the True skates. I'm a 10 in most CCM models. In the Trues, my foot floated in the 10. Was way too tight through the mid foot in both a 9 and 9 wide. 9.5 felt the best, and that's where I ended up.

Skates seemed to bake great. The wrap was pretty solid. Heel was completely locked in. Decent volume. In store I was very pleased with how they felt after the bake. So I pulled the trigger.

I tried them on a few times around the house on Saturday and Sunday. Like many of you, it's an adjustment trying to figure out the best way to get them on and off. As well as lacing the top two eyelets again, as I need to undo them entirely to even think about getting the skate off. It's tough with the tongue position to lace the last few eyelets, even with the skate off.

Both of these can be very time consuming until you get more used to the most effective ways of getting the skates on/off and lacing them. I'm glad I did a few practice runs before heading to the rink. 

The only thing I found concerning at this point was that my pinky toe on my left foot was rubbing up against that rubber bumper piece in the toe box of the left skate (Note- I was not in actual skate socks). I felt inside the skate, and felt like this was something I could remove altogether (if needed), or at the very least use a Dremel and sort of clean out some space right there. So that was one thing I wanted to keep an eye on during my first skate. 

Cut to my first skate in them. Standard pickup with friends last night. Most played college hockey in some form, so while we are older, it's still a pretty good skate, with a good pace. 

After I got them on, the first thing I noticed was that little rubber piece that was rubbing my pinky toe wasn't as noticeable. This continued to feel fine throughout the skate, and was no longer a concern I had by the end. 

The boot felt great throughout the entire hour and a half skate. I don't think I've ever just put on a pair of skates that the boot was this comfortable, and I got such good heel lock essentially right out of the gate. Kinda crazy considering even at MSRP this skate is around 1/3 the cost of the skates I had just purchased a few months prior, and fresh out of the box- the True's felt better.

The issue though- was actually skating in them. The absolute best way I can describe it was, I felt like I was in goalie skates. I know that doesn't make a ton of sense, I just felt like the steel felt very "long", and flat. It definitely had an edge, but just felt way off.

I was not comfortable with anything other than straight-line acceleration. I understand that new skates take time to get used to, it's just I felt like Bambi out there at times. Specifically on quick/hard stops, and crossing over. It's the worst I've skated in new skates in a very long time.

So this is something I need to try and understand, and alleviate. A few variables I'm considering are that I've been on 287 CCM holders for what feels like forever now. My TF7'S have a 280 holder. 

Second, I've been using a 1/2" ring on the Sparx Machine I own for over 5 years now. The sharpening I got in store was by hand, by a very reputable Sharpener here in MA. However, these felt soooo much sharper and had way more bite it seemed than I've ever experienced prior. 

So I'm going to try and start small to fix these issues. Easiest thing is to try a different sharpening. Maybe go down to a 5/8 or something. I'll try different things. Maybe put my Superfeet in them.  I'm just hopefull I won't have to reach the point where a complete holder and steel swap to CCM holders with Step is what's needed to fix this. 

Anyhow, apologies for the long and all over the place post. My initial impressions are you get an absolute ton of value at this price point if you can make these skates work for you. Hoping I can get there. 

That's why I don't want to get retail trues. Going down half a size for me would put me in a smaller holder. The money I'd spend on swapping holders to ccm xs ones and upgrading to a felt tongue (for tf9) I would prefer to get customs and not have excess holes on the sole of the boot too. But that's just me. 

Howdy,

So... Is this ~$200 for TF7 deal available to anyone else?

🙂

I've been nothing but happy with my TF7's.  And that's independent of the price.  Factor in the price and they're a GREAT value if they work for your feet.

Mark

@OzziesDadYou’re dealing with going down a holder size, the pitch/height of the true holder, & whatever radius is on them.

i went from true customs w/ 272 tuuks  to retail tf9 with a 263 true holder. I stuck it out on the true holder and went with a pro sharp elipse profile at 5/8, took about 2 skates to feel completely comfortable and I haven’t looked back.

By all means you could swap out the holder since you’re in the trues for so little money wise. This would also make most sense if you plan on going back and forth with them and your ccm. Otherwise I’d suggest sticking it out on the true holder, you just might like it.

• Like 1

Just a follow up, I went back to my FT4's for a game on Monday. Then I went back to the TF7's for pickup last night. 

I dropped down from the 1/2" ROH, to a 5/8", and it made a HUGE difference. It pretty much alleviated most of my concerns in my previous post. Skating felt much more natural and normal (even in new skates).

I'm really enjoying how comfortable these skates are. I'm seeing zero need for a second bake, or wrap. We will see if the difference in holder size becomes a detriment.

From this point, I'll do another 12-15 skates on them before formulating a concrete opinion on them. However, so far, so good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

I dropped down from the 1/2" ROH, to a 5/8", and it made a HUGE difference. It pretty much alleviated most of my concerns in my previous post. Skating felt much more natural and normal (even in new skates).

If 5/8" has enough grip, it's time to try 11/16. And so on, until you find a hollow which is definitely too shallow.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

If 5/8" has enough grip, it's time to try 11/16. And so on, until you find a hollow which is definitely too shallow.

Agree, I took a big leap of 1/4" from 5/8 to 7/8 with very little adjustment.  Another 1/16 or more might be even better.  Personally, I could maybe go shallower, just haven't had the time / desire to experiment further yet.  Although I am probably at my upper limit.  I'm only playing once a week in a game situation, so I'd hate to go too shallow and ruin my night. 

Howdy,

On 9/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, the_game said:

I’d really love if True could either rivet the tendon guards themselves or use a stronger/better lasting screw that holds the tendon guard.

I’m very careful taking my skates off and dry out my skates after every use and this is the 4th time in a year one of the tendon guard screws have broken. Unfortunately this time the screw snapped too deep in the tendon guard that I might need a new tendon guard.

Not the end of the world, but still a pain in the arse to deal with.

I probably missed it in my search, but does anyone know the screw specs for the tendon guard screw?  I'm guessing 8-32, but the piece is small enough that its hard to tell.  Like the poster above, my screw snapped and I need to replace it (after I get the piece out that's still in there).

Mark

I dropped my TF7's off at the shop during my lunch break.

Swapping out the Shift holders and steel, for the CCM XS holders and Step Steel.

I just can't get used to them. I LOVE how the skate fits, and how the boot feels. I'm just far more comfortable overall in my FT4's, and it 100% has to do with the holder and steel, when comparing the two skates, and my skating in both skates multiple times each week.

Can't wait to get them back, and really put them to the test.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:03 PM, OzziesDad said:

I dropped my TF7's off at the shop during my lunch break.

Swapping out the Shift holders and steel, for the CCM XS holders and Step Steel.

I just can't get used to them. I LOVE how the skate fits, and how the boot feels. I'm just far more comfortable overall in my FT4's, and it 100% has to do with the holder and steel, when comparing the two skates, and my skating in both skates multiple times each week.

Can't wait to get them back, and really put them to the test.

A good shop that specializes in profiling would be able to fix that without swapping holders. 

18 hours ago, PBH said:

A good shop that specializes in profiling would be able to fix that without swapping holders. 

Probably has more to do with holder sizer than profile.

Howdy,

I don't know if this is an error or not, but IceWarehouse has the True TF9 in sizes 6, 6.5, and 7 at $480 right now...  7.5 and up are the normal $600.

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I don't know if this is an error or not, but IceWarehouse has the True TF9 in sizes 6, 6.5, and 7 at $480 right now...  7.5 and up are the normal $600.

Mark

Nice find, this is super tempting.!

Edited by beedee

Finally received my TF9 skates and rollerblades after a long wait cause of the country I’m in. Decided to treat myself and get rid of the foot pain I’ve experienced with Bauer (outside of the foot). I went half a size down listening to some of you guys and they fit really good. It is difficult to get my foot in the boot but once it goes in it’s a good fit. Snug all the way around the toe cap the way I like, the foam at the toes will take a little getting used to but the extra cushion is a nice touch imo. Just baked both pairs with no trouble. For the ice skates I’m going to give the shift holder a chance. I bought Step steel for them and will get them sharpened soon, I am used to tuuk so I’ll see how it goes. For the rollerblades I’ll swap my marsblade r1’s on them, just from looking at it it looks like all the holes will line up if I’m lucky. 

edit: just checked, the holes don’t line up and there’s 6 copper rivets per skate 😭

Edited by moonrockticktock

I just got the TF9 roller skates and I noticed that the holes for venting on the bottom of the boots have not been drilled.

I was thinking of drilling the holes myself and was wondering if anyone has done the same or have any experiences with this.  Any tips and tricks to doing it properly?  Will the way I drill the holes affect the integrity of  the boot at all?

2 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

I just got the TF9 roller skates and I noticed that the holes for venting on the bottom of the boots have not been drilled.

I was thinking of drilling the holes myself and was wondering if anyone has done the same or have any experiences with this.  Any tips and tricks to doing it properly?  Will the way I drill the holes affect the integrity of  the boot at all?

I believe this is intentional. Idk how common it is but the sweat could fall through the holes and onto the wheels and that’s never fun

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThisisBen said:

Backing up what @crispy92 said, why do you want to drill holes in the bottom of a inline boot? If you don't sweat at all then you might get away with it but if you are like just about everyone else on the planet and sweat something when exercising then holes in the bottom of the boot are a recipe for disaster. Moisture dripping thru the holes onto the chassis, bearings (they go rusty) and your wheels (you now have no grip) is nasty. And wait till everyone else playing sees the slippery snail like trails you leave everywhere and kick you off the rink.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Backing up what @crispy92 said, why do you want to drill holes in the bottom of a inline boot? If you don't sweat at all then you might get away with it but if you are like just about everyone else on the planet and sweat something when exercising then holes in the bottom of the boot are a recipe for disaster. Moisture dripping thru the holes onto the chassis, bearings (they go rusty) and your wheels (you now have no grip) is nasty. And wait till everyone else playing sees the slippery snail like trails you leave everywhere and kick you off the rink.

I have 4 vent holes in my skates, a pair of converted ice Vapors and a pair of APXR. I have never run into a problem with sweat dripping onto my wheels, chassis or the playing surface. I go barefoot.

Edited by sturdy22