Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Backing up what @crispy92 said, why do you want to drill holes in the bottom of a inline boot? If you don't sweat at all then you might get away with it but if you are like just about everyone else on the planet and sweat something when exercising then holes in the bottom of the boot are a recipe for disaster. Moisture dripping thru the holes onto the chassis, bearings (they go rusty) and your wheels (you now have no grip) is nasty. And wait till everyone else playing sees the slippery snail like trails you leave everywhere and kick you off the rink.

I got them on a really good deal.

Since they seem to be identical to the ice version(minus the vent holes), my plan was to do a switcharoo of the holders with my (backup) pair of ice skates(True stock Junior skates with Tuuk holders).  The TF9's would then become my main ice pair and the True Junior's my roller pair.

39 minutes ago, ThisisBen said:

I got them on a really good deal.

Since they seem to be identical to the ice version(minus the vent holes), my plan was to do a switcharoo of the holders with my (backup) pair of ice skates(True stock Junior skates with Tuuk holders).  The TF9's would then become my main ice pair and the True Junior's my roller pair.

If you don’t plan on returning the boots just drill the vent holes. I’ve added vents to my trues, just use a bit that’s the same size as the vents on you other pair. 
Use a bit for composite materials that is sharp to avoid splintering.

• Like 1

Long shot but has anyone tried the Speed plate 2.0? I’m looking to purchase but can’t figure out the size. My tf9 is a sz 7 and I’m usually closer to a 9-8.5. Im guessing I’d go for the 9 but just want to see if anyone has narrowed it down

On 5/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I probably missed it in my search, but does anyone know the screw specs for the tendon guard screw?  I'm guessing 8-32, but the piece is small enough that its hard to tell.  Like the poster above, my screw snapped and I need to replace it (after I get the piece out that's still in there).

Mark

i have the same problem im now combing throw post trying to find what the screws are so i can pick a few up to chuck in my kit bag, did you find out if the thread was correct and size of the screw?

Howdy,

1 hour ago, JRG4 said:

i have the same problem im now combing throw post trying to find what the screws are so i can pick a few up to chuck in my kit bag, did you find out if the thread was correct and size of the screw?

Yes, just checked one of the screws.  8-32.  1/2" long (from top of flathead to the end).

I would order these if I were buying some, vs. just had stuff laying around:

https://www.mcmaster.com/92210A194/

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I probably missed it in my search, but does anyone know the screw specs for the tendon guard screw?  I'm guessing 8-32, but the piece is small enough that its hard to tell.  Like the poster above, my screw snapped and I need to replace it (after I get the piece out that's still in there).

Mark

thank you mark 🙂

Edited by JRG4

On 9/7/2022 at 9:41 PM, crispy92 said:

Long shot but has anyone tried the Speed plate 2.0? I’m looking to purchase but can’t figure out the size. My tf9 is a sz 7 and I’m usually closer to a 9-8.5. Im guessing I’d go for the 9 but just want to see if anyone has narrowed it down

I've used both the SP 1.0 and 2.0 but only on my custom trues and just got the same size as I would wear on a retail Bauer, so 7, for me

Hey guys, I'm looking to try some True TF7's. Just wondering if I have ~6.75 length feet, should I try the 6 or the 6.5? In a Bauer Supreme 7.0 I can't feel the toe cap no matter how hard I push against the wall once laced. 6.5 feels perfect in terms of length.

When you do half a size down for the True TF7's, does this account for the width? I.e a TF7 @ 6.0 is the same width as a Bauer / CCM @ 6.5? I am worried as I have very wide and flat feet.

Last question - does anyone have an image of the base foot bed (without insoles) of a TF7 or TF9? I believe I am having issues with the little round lift / bump around the arch area and am hoping the True skates would have less of an aggressive bump like my Supremes..

Thanks!

If 6.5 feels like the right length in Bauer Supreme, I would definitely go with a 6 in the TF series. You then need to choose between the R width and W. If you are a EE or Fit 3 Supreme, wide makes sense. If you are a D Supreme, then I would stick with R.

Either way, the right size in the TF skates will feel too small before baking. Your toes will be hard on the cap. After baking and break in, you gain about a half size in length. At least that was my experience with the TF9.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible the junior skates are built on a different last?

I wear 6.5 in Vapor, previously had gotten size 6 for the TF. After baking, could not even feather the toecap, and forefoot was absolutely swimming in the boot. Sent them back.

Saw that they are having a good clearance/sale deal now and decided to move to the junior 5.5 size. Got them today - big toe is over the ridge, but feathering the toe cap. pinky toes and forefoot have no space - actually very tight. this is after baking and not playing any games yet. Seems wild that moving down half a size to the juniors makes a night and day difference. 

1 hour ago, JSchultz said:

Is it possible the junior skates are built on a different last?

I wear 6.5 in Vapor, previously had gotten size 6 for the TF. After baking, could not even feather the toecap, and forefoot was absolutely swimming in the boot. Sent them back.

Saw that they are having a good clearance/sale deal now and decided to move to the junior 5.5 size. Got them today - big toe is over the ridge, but feathering the toe cap. pinky toes and forefoot have no space - actually very tight. this is after baking and not playing any games yet. Seems wild that moving down half a size to the juniors makes a night and day difference. 

I imagine they are different lasts.

My CCM tacks AS1 8EE's are absolutely killing my mid-foot on the outside. I've had this problem with skates for as long as i can remember. Fat feet i guess. 

I decided i should get some True TF9s. LHS doesn't have anything in wide, so i tried on the 7.5 R and 8 R. The 7.5 my toes were squished in the toe. They could order some 8EEs from True for me, but True would have to make them special and I wouldn't get the 30 day warranty.  This makes it really really hard to fit skates.

Anyway I found some 8W TF9s on playitagain that look almost brand new for $300. Fingers crossed its the right size, and the Shift holders don't screw me up too much.

8 hours ago, bonez05 said:

My CCM tacks AS1 8EE's are absolutely killing my mid-foot on the outside. I've had this problem with skates for as long as i can remember. Fat feet i guess. 

I decided i should get some True TF9s. LHS doesn't have anything in wide, so i tried on the 7.5 R and 8 R. The 7.5 my toes were squished in the toe. They could order some 8EEs from True for me, but True would have to make them special and I wouldn't get the 30 day warranty.  This makes it really really hard to fit skates.

Anyway I found some 8W TF9s on playitagain that look almost brand new for $300. Fingers crossed its the right size, and the Shift holders don't screw me up too much.

If you're an 8EE in CCM,  you're likely a 7.5W in the TF9s.  You'll gain about half a size in length after baking and break in. The 8W will likely be too long after baking and break in. In the right size,  your toes should be hard against the cap before baking with the TF9s. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bonez05 said:

I have a pair of 7.5W TF7s and a pair of size 8R TF9s. For comparison I also have Mako 2s  in size  8EE, 8.5D and 9D. 

I have changed out the holders on the Trues to Easton CXNs and Marsblade i2s so I can’t comment on the shift holders.

The 7.5W TF7s are closest in size to the 8EE makos. The 8R TF9s are considerably larger and are definitely closer to the size 9D makos. This is all after baking and considerable time skating in them so they do loosen up a lot.

I think you will find that after baking and wearing the 8W TF9s might feel too big/wide. 

Did you try the 8R? 

You only mentioned the 7.5W feeling too small.

6 hours ago, sturdy22 said:

I have a pair of 7.5W TF7s and a pair of size 8R TF9s. For comparison I also have Mako 2s  in size  8EE, 8.5D and 9D. 

I have changed out the holders on the Trues to Easton CXNs and Marsblade i2s so I can’t comment on the shift holders.

The 7.5W TF7s are closest in size to the 8EE makos. The 8R TF9s are considerably larger and are definitely closer to the size 9D makos. This is all after baking and considerable time skating in them so they do loosen up a lot.

I think you will find that after baking and wearing the 8W TF9s might feel too big/wide. 

Did you try the 8R? 

Thanks team. 

nexus - i did try them on a few years ago. The vertical volume felt way too much. 

I did try on 8Rs in the store and the felt tight but like the right size. 

i will bake them when they arrive and I have 7 days to send them back to playitagainsports if they are too loose

10 hours ago, sturdy22 said:

Did you try the 8R? 

I don't think he tried on the 7.5W as it wasn't available - he tried 7.5R and 8R. The store didn't have the W sizes.

I also have 8EE Mako II skates and when I tried the TF9s before baking, the 8W was obviously too big, the 7.5W felt like the right size before baking and the 7W had my toes HARD on the cap and felt too small. I still went with the 7W for an inline conversion and after baking and break in, the 7W actually feels close to the 8EE Mako II in size, maybe ever so slightly smaller. I'd think the 7.5W would be a little bit longer than the 8EE Mako II after baking and break in. Externally, when I put the 7W TF9 and 8EE Makos side by side, they definitely seem to be the same length and depth. 

On the Bauer 3D Fit machine I scan as a 7.5 Fit 3. It's common for people to go down a half size vs. CCM and Bauer with the TF9 and TF7 skates. With the Catalyst line, I believe they adjusted the sizing and that's no longer the case. 

4 hours ago, bonez05 said:

Thanks team. 

nexus - i did try them on a few years ago. The vertical volume felt way too much. 

I did try on 8Rs in the store and the felt tight but like the right size. 

i will bake them when they arrive and I have 7 days to send them back to playitagainsports if they are too loose

With the TF9 skates, if they feel like the right size before baking and break in, they'll likely end up being too long. The correct size should have your toes hard against the cap before baking (not bent) and feel a bit too small. It's good that you have 7 days to send them back - don't judge the sizing until after baking them properly (200F for 10 minutes and use the luggage wrap method Scott Van Horne demonstrates on Youtube). Even after baking you'll gain a few more mm of space once they break in and the padding compresses a bit. 

12 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I don't think he tried on the 7.5W as it wasn't available - he tried 7.5R and 8R. The store didn't have the W sizes.

I also have 8EE Mako II skates and when I tried the TF9s before baking, the 8W was obviously too big, the 7.5W felt like the right size before baking and the 7W had my toes HARD on the cap and felt too small. I still went with the 7W for an inline conversion and after baking and break in, the 7W actually feels close to the 8EE Mako II in size, maybe ever so slightly smaller. I'd think the 7.5W would be a little bit longer than the 8EE Mako II after baking and break in. Externally, when I put the 7W TF9 and 8EE Makos side by side, they definitely seem to be the same length and depth. 

On the Bauer 3D Fit machine I scan as a 7.5 Fit 3. It's common for people to go down a half size vs. CCM and Bauer with the TF9 and TF7 skates. With the Catalyst line, I believe they adjusted the sizing and that's no longer the case. 

Yup, my bad I missed that bonez05 tried on only the 7.5R  with the R, EE and W sizes in his post. 

I had the same problem finding the right size and lost the nail on my big toe twice.

I personally couldn’t go down to a 7W in my TF7s but the inner padding is different between the 7s and 9. 

My size 8R TF9s are comfortable for coaching but would be too sloppy to play in. The 7.5W TF9s would probably be perfect for me.

The trues are still the closest I’ve found to the makos.

I am interested in the catalyst line. I have put the flex tendon guard on my TFs and the added flex is nice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sturdy22 said:

Yup, my bad I missed that bonez05 tried on only the 7.5R  with the R, EE and W sizes in his post. 

I had the same problem finding the right size and lost the nail on my big toe twice.

I personally couldn’t go down to a 7W in my TF7s but the inner padding is different between the 7s and 9. 

My size 8R TF9s are comfortable for coaching but would be too sloppy to play in. The 7.5W TF9s would probably be perfect for me.

The trues are still the closest I’ve found to the makos.

I am interested in the catalyst line. I have put the flex tendon guard on my TFs and the added flex is nice.

Yes, the True TF skates are definitely the closest skates I've found to the Makos.

The TF7s have a way thicker tongue vs. the TF9s, so that might make them feel a little smaller in the same size.

I haven't had a chance to try on the Catalyst skates yet, but from what I've read/heard, the sizing is closer to Bauer/CCM and they aren't quite as wide as the TF skates. It's great that the flex tendon guard is available aftermarket and can easily be used on the TF skates. 

So tl;dr these skates are a huge pain in the ass to fit. 

LHSs should order 1 complete size run but not sell them off the shelf and shift to manufacturing on demand model. Basically what they do for furniture now. 

that way they don’t sit on a bunch of unused inventory that they have to clearance and customers can actually fit skates. 

I used to work at an LHS for 2 years  - ordering/ inventory  was a disaster

3 minutes ago, bonez05 said:

So tl;dr these skates are a huge pain in the ass to fit. 

LHSs should order 1 complete size run but not sell them off the shelf and shift to manufacturing on demand model. Basically what they do for furniture now. 

that way they don’t sit on a bunch of unused inventory that they have to clearance and customers can actually fit skates. 

I used to work at an LHS for 2 years  - ordering/ inventory  was a disaster

They're definitely a pain to fit and I only ended up in a size that feels right to me by reading through threads like this one and watching @Hills sizing video on YouTube. The 30 day satisfaction guarantee helps with current True models, however; that likely doesn't apply to the clearance skates.

The fact that the sizing was changed again with the new Catalyst line has pros and cons. On the one hand, people coming from CCM and Bauer might have an easier time if the sizing lines up, but people that finally figured out their True TF7/9 sizing will have to start over again. 

It'd be nice if the True scanning app could be used to recommend a skate size instead of only scanning for custom skates. Like the CCM and Bauer scans, that'd only be a starting point and you'd still have to get the skates baked on your feet, but it'd would hopefully get people pretty close to the right size. 

20 hours ago, althoma1 said:

They're definitely a pain to fit and I only ended up in a size that feels right to me by reading through threads like this one and watching @Hills sizing video on YouTube. The 30 day satisfaction guarantee helps with current True models, however; that likely doesn't apply to the clearance skates.

The fact that the sizing was changed again with the new Catalyst line has pros and cons. On the one hand, people coming from CCM and Bauer might have an easier time if the sizing lines up, but people that finally figured out their True TF7/9 sizing will have to start over again. 

It'd be nice if the True scanning app could be used to recommend a skate size instead of only scanning for custom skates. Like the CCM and Bauer scans, that'd only be a starting point and you'd still have to get the skates baked on your feet, but it'd would hopefully get people pretty close to the right size. 

Ok I ordered a 7.5 W from hockeymonkey because they have 20% off true products right now. I will plan on baking the 8 and 7.5 and returning the one that’s worse fit. 

will keep you guys posted on my fat duck feet. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bonez05 said:

Ok I ordered a 7.5 W from hockeymonkey because they have 20% off true products right now. I will plan on baking the 8 and 7.5 and returning the one that’s worse fit. 

will keep you guys posted on my fat duck feet. 

As a fellow fat duck footed individual, I wish you the best of luck. Keep in mind that even after baking, you'll gain an extra few mm of space after you skate in them for 10+ hours and the padding compresses. 

Updating here  

I got my 8w in my toe just barely feathers the cap or maybe just a bit shy after baking  - my pinky is hitting the toe cap  

I feel like this is the right size  I can almost bet the 7.5 will be too small  

I’m uploading 17 pics with a comparison of my 8ee tacks. in there I point to where I get pain. When sitting in the baked skate I feel some discomfort like I was standing on a rock. I’m betting they will be a problem when I skate. For $300 though I may try them out and sell them if they aren’t better than my tacks

I also have some pics of my foot. It’s almost 4 1/4 inch wide in the mid/ forefoot while the wide part of the true boot is about 3 1/4. The heel is also wide as hell in the boot  

All photos

https://imgur.com/a/ttXzKJq

• Like 1