Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

16 hours ago, bonez05 said:

Updating here  

I got my 8w in my toe just barely feathers the cap or maybe just a bit shy after baking  - my pinky is hitting the toe cap  

I feel like this is the right size  I can almost bet the 7.5 will be too small  

I’m uploading 17 pics with a comparison of my 8ee tacks. in there I point to where I get pain. When sitting in the baked skate I feel some discomfort like I was standing on a rock. I’m betting they will be a problem when I skate. For $300 though I may try them out and sell them if they aren’t better than my tacks

I also have some pics of my foot. It’s almost 4 1/4 inch wide in the mid/ forefoot while the wide part of the true boot is about 3 1/4. The heel is also wide as hell in the boot  

All photos

https://imgur.com/a/ttXzKJq

Where on the toecap is it hitting. The sides or the end. With trues the carbon wraps around the entire boot including the toes and are moldable/modifiable. Worst case u can punch that area slightly and it will be fine vs Bauer or ccm. The toecap material is a softer plastic like ccms toe cap where it will respond to heat. Whereas Bauer's toe caps are thick and very hard. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Where on the toecap is it hitting. The sides or the end. With trues the carbon wraps around the entire boot including the toes and are moldable/modifiable. Worst case u can punch that area slightly and it will be fine vs Bauer or ccm. The toecap material is a softer plastic like ccms toe cap where it will respond to heat. Whereas Bauer's toe caps are thick and very hard. 

Outside pinky. Not the end of the world. 

however I did skate in them today. Width felt ok but the entire volume in the boot made them feel sloppy and actually less comfortable than my tacks. 

as I started thinking about my width problem it occurred to me that I supinate pretty bad when I walk and recently heard from a skating coach that I roll my ankles on tight turns sometimes. Now I’m wondering if the supination isn’t causing the pinching on the outside of my foot rather than the width. 

27 minutes ago, bonez05 said:

Outside pinky. Not the end of the world. 

however I did skate in them today. Width felt ok but the entire volume in the boot made them feel sloppy and actually less comfortable than my tacks. 

as I started thinking about my width problem it occurred to me that I supinate pretty bad when I walk and recently heard from a skating coach that I roll my ankles on tight turns sometimes. Now I’m wondering if the supination isn’t causing the pinching on the outside of my foot rather than the width. 

It's possible. 

any other tf9 users kind of hate how stiff the tongue is? i've tried adjusting to all different heights and it constantly digs into my foot. considering swapping it out for the felt tongue that comes with the tf7. just hate the idea of buying the more expensive skates and then spending another $70 to swap the lesser models tongue.

53 minutes ago, SickLife said:

any other tf9 users kind of hate how stiff the tongue is? i've tried adjusting to all different heights and it constantly digs into my foot. considering swapping it out for the felt tongue that comes with the tf7. just hate the idea of buying the more expensive skates and then spending another $70 to swap the lesser models tongue.

I picked up these replacement tongues for my ice TF9’s (kept the standard tongue on my rollers). Got free embroidery for my number too. Not sure if that’s still offered as I got them back during the height of Covid 

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/products/true-t-guard-felt-replacement-skate-tongues?variant=37173945172117

6 hours ago, SickLife said:

Sell the old tongues to recoup some money.

15 hours ago, SickLife said:

I only have used the felt and will continue. Anything with plastic in it isn't comfortable to me at all

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I only have used the felt and will continue. Anything with plastic in it isn't comfortable to me at all

A stiff tongue feels as wrong for my skating as using an extremely stiff stick does for my shooting. It literally holds me back, keeping me from getting my ankle flexed enough, affecting pivoting and starting strokes the most. I tend to use the softest tongue I have, with really thin felt and amazing flex.

• Like 1

On this topic of true tongues, I've been pretty satisfied with my TF9s over the last year (coming from supertacks, and mako 1's and 2's before this).

However I'm finding that I get quite a bit of tongue rotation after games, or even just open public skating, with the tongue rotating to the outside of my foot.  I've never thought I had foot alignment issues, but apparently I could be pronating causing this?

I've tried many different ways of wearing the skates too, even went to dropping 2 eyelets at one point. My most comfortable ways are usually when I can let my ankles be extra mobile and have a ton of forward flex, but from the pics, I wonder if I don't have the upper eyelet areas baked/wrapped enough? I did do the tensor/shrink-wrap method when baking.

This never really was a HUGE issue to me until the last few skates, I've basically been getting lace bite from the top inner eyelet area on my upper ankle, as the tongue would shift and then expose my open ankle to the lace there.

15 hours ago, pisani34 said:

On this topic of true tongues, I've been pretty satisfied with my TF9s over the last year (coming from supertacks, and mako 1's and 2's before this).

However I'm finding that I get quite a bit of tongue rotation after games, or even just open public skating, with the tongue rotating to the outside of my foot.  I've never thought I had foot alignment issues, but apparently I could be pronating causing this?

I've tried many different ways of wearing the skates too, even went to dropping 2 eyelets at one point. My most comfortable ways are usually when I can let my ankles be extra mobile and have a ton of forward flex, but from the pics, I wonder if I don't have the upper eyelet areas baked/wrapped enough? I did do the tensor/shrink-wrap method when baking.

This never really was a HUGE issue to me until the last few skates, I've basically been getting lace bite from the top inner eyelet area on my upper ankle, as the tongue would shift and then expose my open ankle to the lace there.

Hmm that does suck. I know u pronate with my right and my tongue does shift a bit to the outside. But nothing major to the point where the tongue isnt providing cushioning from the laces or eyelets. I do use the felt tongue though which may be thicker and even wider. I also use speed plates as insoles which is hard and maintains the arch of my foot and not let it collapse when there's weight on it. 

Hey!
I am looking for recommendations for profiling. My local shop hasn't been very helpful simply because they only have one option (dual radius 9.5/10.5 with a 1.5mm forward drop).

A few months ago I bought new skates, True TF7, size 9.5, shift holder 280. 

Stock profile I felt stuck going in a straight line, going into and coming out of tight turns. I've found that I had to go to a 7/8" hollow which helped. I went to the 9.5/10.5 with a 1.5mm forward drop, I find it like skating in quick sand in corners (hard to snap out of corners, the speed doesn't carry), and top speed isn't there.
I'd gladly do maximum edge again but the local shop has stopped doing maximum edge sharpening. Any recommendations what I should try first?  From the little bit of research I feel like the ellipse 0 or 1 is a good start. Thoughts? 

I just wanted to touch base here and say I recommend everyone try these on before buying.  Had I taken the advice here for TF9 sizing I would be in a skate that doesn't fit.  I ended up in the same size that I wear in CCM/Bauer.  10 wide.  I will say there is a bit of room in the toe box (height, not length) but the width is JUST wide enough after baking.  I can feel that I'll likely have a hot spot on the outside of the ball of my foot and the outside of my little toe in each boot.  But I won't know for sure until I get to skate on em.

Obviously many here have been able to go down a half or full size, but that won't work for everyone apparently.

Other than that, I'm beyond impressed with these skates!  Fit like nothing I've ever had on my feet before.  After baking the skates they fit like a glove!  Definitely a pain to get on and off, but it's worth it with the fit!

I do need to scroll back through and find the aftermarket foam blocks to tighten up the height of the toe box, but I expected to have to do that in order to get the width I need for my plank feet.

34 minutes ago, RodneyPierce said:

I just wanted to touch base here and say I recommend everyone try these on before buying.  Had I taken the advice here for TF9 sizing I would be in a skate that doesn't fit.  I ended up in the same size that I wear in CCM/Bauer.  10 wide.  I will say there is a bit of room in the toe box (height, not length) but the width is JUST wide enough after baking.  I can feel that I'll likely have a hot spot on the outside of the ball of my foot and the outside of my little toe in each boot.  But I won't know for sure until I get to skate on em.

Obviously many here have been able to go down a half or full size, but that won't work for everyone apparently.

Other than that, I'm beyond impressed with these skates!  Fit like nothing I've ever had on my feet before.  After baking the skates they fit like a glove!  Definitely a pain to get on and off, but it's worth it with the fit!

I do need to scroll back through and find the aftermarket foam blocks to tighten up the height of the toe box, but I expected to have to do that in order to get the width I need for my plank feet.

U can lower the tongue to take up space in the toebox as well. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RodneyPierce said:

Even after baking, you still gain room after about 10 or more hours of hard skating as the foams compress (I'd say about another quarter size). So, what may feel like the right size now, may be a little roomy after some time. The only way you'll know is by skating on them and seeing - that's why the 30 day satisfaction guarantee on the True skates was great when they first came out. I doubt that'll apply to clearance skates, but at the prices they're going at, it's worth the gamble and you'd probably be able to resell them if necessary without losing too much money if they end up being too big.

The foams that take up space above the toe box are called powerfoot inserts. With that said, adjusting the tongue as low as it can go in the toe box is a good, free first step that you can try to see if that helps. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Even after baking, you still gain room after about 10 or more hours of hard skating as the foams compress (I'd say about another quarter size). So, what may feel like the right size now, may be a little roomy after some time. The only way you'll know is by skating on them and seeing - that's why the 30 day satisfaction guarantee on the True skates was great when they first came out. I doubt that'll apply to clearance skates, but at the prices they're going at, it's worth the gamble and you'd probably be able to resell them if necessary without losing too much money if they end up being too big.

The foams that take up space above the toe box are called powerfoot inserts. With that said, adjusting the tongue as low as it can go in the toe box is a good, free first step that you can try to see if that helps. 

I actually moved the tongues down as far as is comfortable (edges start to dig into my foot if I go any further) and I can still lift my toes up.  If they do open up a little more honestly that will be perfect!! (Width wise). I can just brush the toe cap now when I stretch my foot out and I don't want it to go any closer than that.  I can't stand my toes hitting the end.

The heal/ankle lock that I've got on these things is insane!

1 minute ago, RodneyPierce said:

I actually moved the tongues down as far as is comfortable (edges start to dig into my foot if I go any further) and I can still lift my toes up.  If they do open up a little more honestly that will be perfect!! (Width wise). I can just brush the toe cap now when I stretch my foot out and I don't want it to go any closer than that.  I can't stand my toes hitting the end.

The heal/ankle lock that I've got on these things is insane!

You don't gain much, if anything, widthwise. I had to spot heat some areas in the forefoot/toebox myself. The space you gain from the foams compressing is lengthwise.

I prefer to have my toes brushing when standing straight and only coming off when my knees are bent in an athletic skating position - that's why I'm in a half size smaller than I was scanned for in Bauer skates and a full size smaller than my Easton Makos. If you don't like your toes to touch and still have good heel lock, I can see why you'd go with the same size as Bauer/CCM. 

The powerfoot inserts, or trying to make your own from some dollar store foam will solve the toebox volume issue. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

You don't gain much, if anything, widthwise. I had to spot heat some areas in the forefoot/toebox myself. The space you gain from the foams compressing is lengthwise.

I prefer to have my toes brushing when standing straight and only coming off when my knees are bent in an athletic skating position - that's why I'm in a half size smaller than I was scanned for in Bauer skates and a full size smaller than my Easton Makos. If you don't like your toes to touch and still have good heel lock, I can see why you'd go with the same size as Bauer/CCM. 

The powerfoot inserts, or trying to make your own from some dollar store foam will solve the toebox volume issue. 

Copy that!  I'll likely have to spot heat some areas myself as well then.  I've got massively wide feet (*4.375 left/ 4.5 right* inches wide at the widest part)

I may try making a set myself, otherwise I'll order a set of power foot inserts.  

Thanks!!!

On 12/24/2022 at 12:49 PM, RodneyPierce said:

I just wanted to touch base here and say I recommend everyone try these on before buying.  Had I taken the advice here for TF9 sizing I would be in a skate that doesn't fit.  I ended up in the same size that I wear in CCM/Bauer. 

I've read a number of claims about the TF's, as I've given some thought to taking them up on their 30-day trial period. However, most can be explained away as the direct result of simply having proper fitting skates. Eg, more bite, undoing two eyelets to get skate off, etc... 

At this stage, since it appears the sizing is actually all over the place, I'd have to order several pairs online just to get into the correct fit. It also looks like only HockeyMonkey has anything left in my size. Additionally, from the pictures, I can tell that the ankle is going to be too roomy, so probably custom would be the best bet for me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a lot of foam inserts around the ankle bone. 

Edited by pgeorgan

10 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I've read a number of claims about the TF's, as I've given some thought to taking them up on their 30-day trial period. However, most can be explained away as the direct result of simply having proper fitting skates. Eg, more bite, undoing two eyelets to get skate off, etc... 

At this stage, since it appears the sizing is actually all over the place, I'd have to order several pairs online just to get into the correct fit. It also looks like only HockeyMonkey has anything left in my size. Additionally, from the pictures, I can tell that the ankle is going to be too roomy, so probably custom would be the best bet for me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a lot of foam inserts around the ankle bone. 

You're wrong. The ankle area is very moldable and will conform to your foot /ankle area. You should only really need to order two sizes. Your current size and one half a size down. You should technically know if you're a reg or wide skate. 

10 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

If you pay close attention to this posters sizing details, they out themselves as having skates that are too big. So you should take the advice of the majority of people on this forums about sizing for these.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

You're wrong. The ankle area is very moldable and will conform to your foot /ankle area. You should only really need to order two sizes. Your current size and one half a size down. You should technically know if you're a reg or wide skate. 

I'm sure the skates will wrap. Any skate will wrap. But I'm just not seeing any thickness in the ankle donuts. Are there not any ankle donuts? 

2 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I'm sure the skates will wrap. Any skate will wrap. But I'm just not seeing any thickness in the ankle donuts. Are there not any ankle donuts? 

They’re there, but not as augmented as other brands because the shell is meant to mold more.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hills said:

If you pay close attention to this posters sizing details, they out themselves as having skates that are too big. So you should take the advice of the majority of people on this forums about sizing for these.

Assuming you're talking to me.  If so, please do explain how my skate sizing is too big? 

14 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Definitely not as pronounced as others, but these are way way more moldable than others as well.  I've never had a skate that molds like these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RodneyPierce said:

Definitely not as pronounced as others, but these are way way more moldable than others as well.  I've never had a skate that molds like these.

Does True release a stiffness index or anything? How does it compare to the Catalyst, to CCM, Bauer?