Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

2 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Catalyst Pro in all black is great. I don't care for the yellow.

Which is why I got scanned for the cat pros 😬

If you don't like the yellow on the cat then you're gonna hate the orange on the hzrdus 🤮

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Which is why I got scanned for the cat pros 😬

If you don't like the yellow on the cat then you're gonna hate the orange on the hzrdus 🤮

Under the right conditions, I could see myself getting some SVH Customs. It looks like they're built using the Catalyst boot?

Also, I was unaware there was a True scanning app for the iPhone. It said I should be the same size as my Bauer scan...

Edited by pgeorgan

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

Under the right conditions, I could see myself getting some SVH Customs. It looks like they're built using the Catalyst boot?

Also, I was unaware there was a True scanning app for the iPhone. It said I should be the same size as my Bauer scan...

The True app is probably sizing you for the latest line, the Catalyst. They adjusted the sizing with the Catalyst to be closer to Bauer and CCM lengthwise. It's the TF9 and TF7 that were longer than Bauer and CCM in the same size and that's not the case with the Catalyst.

To the best of my knowledge, the SVH Customs are the custom version of the TF line and upcoming Hzrdus line. It's a custom boot built around your scan. The Catalyst Pro is the custom version of the Catalyst, but it's not built from the ground up using your scan like the SVH Custom. They call it their "tailored" custom option. Here's what they do:

STEP 1: INITIAL FOOT ASSESSMENT

Determine if size, width and general foot shape are within parameters

STEP 2: 3D ANATOMICAL FOOT SCAN

Identify the perfect shell size for player's feet in up-to-quarter sizing

STEP 3: TAILORED IN CANADA

Internal layers and thermoformable materials of the skate are personally tailored to exact shape of foot

STEP 4: ADDED PERSONALIZATION

Tongue and steel can be personalized with player's name and number

STEP 5: PICK UP + HEAT MOLD

Skates arrive at retail location for prescriptive heat molding to take place

So, they can use quarter sizes and add some thermoformable material, but they're using a selection of shells that already exist. 

29 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

The True app is probably sizing you for the latest line, the Catalyst. They adjusted the sizing with the Catalyst to be closer to Bauer and CCM lengthwise. It's the TF9 and TF7 that were longer than Bauer and CCM in the same size and that's not the case with the Catalyst.

To the best of my knowledge, the SVH Customs are the custom version of the TF line and upcoming Hzrdus line. It's a custom boot built around your scan. The Catalyst Pro is the custom version of the Catalyst, but it's not built from the ground up using your scan like the SVH Custom. They call it their "tailored" custom option. Here's what they do:

STEP 1: INITIAL FOOT ASSESSMENT

Determine if size, width and general foot shape are within parameters

STEP 2: 3D ANATOMICAL FOOT SCAN

Identify the perfect shell size for player's feet in up-to-quarter sizing

STEP 3: TAILORED IN CANADA

Internal layers and thermoformable materials of the skate are personally tailored to exact shape of foot

STEP 4: ADDED PERSONALIZATION

Tongue and steel can be personalized with player's name and number

STEP 5: PICK UP + HEAT MOLD

Skates arrive at retail location for prescriptive heat molding to take place

So, they can use quarter sizes and add some thermoformable material, but they're using a selection of shells that already exist. 

This.

Svh is all made in Canada and built from bottom up using your foot scan and raw materials. 

Catalyst is assembled in Canada using shells that have already been made (overseas) and the fit is customized by way of foams and I'd assume "punching" certain areas out if needed. This is essentially how Bauer and ccm "customs" are made. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

This.

Svh is all made in Canada and built from bottom up using your foot scan and raw materials. 

Catalyst is assembled in Canada using shells that have already been made (overseas) and the fit is customized by way of foams and I'd assume "punching" certain areas out if needed. This is essentially how Bauer and ccm "customs" are made. 

You sure you and @althoma1 don't work for True? 

😀

12 hours ago, althoma1 said:

That stinks. In the video, they specifically say its made custom to your foot and not some existing mold that's retroactively fitted.

7 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

That stinks. In the video, they specifically say its made custom to your foot and not some existing mold that's retroactively fitted.

He is talking about Cat Pros, not the SVH Customs which are the ones in the video.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hills said:

He is talking about Cat Pros, not the SVH Customs which are the ones in the video.

Haha I totally skimmed that, my bad. Ya I was talking about the SVH Customs. 

32 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

😀

I've done a lot of research and my own experience with true to know what I know lol.  

I've researched just as much with Bauer and ccm but just haven't worn their skates for very long since they don't fit me that well at the retail level. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

😀

Like Sniper9, I've just done a lot of research and I also have a pair of TF9s converted to inline that I did an in depth review on for a roller hockey blog. My primary ice skates for both reffing and playing are Easton Mako II's which are based on a similar zero negative space speed skate inspired concept and before that I was using KOR skates that were also speed skate inspired monocoque boots. Plus, I have average to narrow heels/ankles and a very wide forefoot - the TF series in W seems to be the only thing out there right now that works for me - the Bauer and CCM skates have moved to a narrow all over, average all over or wide all over fit. I need snug in the back and roomy in the front. I really don't care which brand makes the skate as long as it fits well, True is just the best fit for me at the moment without having to pay for custom skates. 

For you, I don't know if the TF series would be the fit you want because you specifically mentioned not wanting space in the toe box. They work for me because I have a very wide forefoot. I haven't tried on the Catalyst skates, but from what I can see and read, they've definitely removed a lot of negative space in that area with that lineup. They may do the same thing with the Hzrdus skate that's supposed to replace the TF line in the summer, but we won't know for sure until they're out in the summer.

I actually don't know if I'd fit in the Catalyst myself since I'm hearing they aren't as wide in the forefoot and I need the width in that area that the TF series provides. I'm hoping the Hzrdus will fit - I still have a stockpile of Mako II skates, but when those are depleted I'd prefer to be able to hunt for a deal on stock skates rather than having to pay up for customs. 

34 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

As @Hills said, I was referring to Cat Pros and the steps I listed were just cut and paste from the True site. The SVH Customs are made custom to your feet based on the scans - if you want a completely custom skate and are willing to pay for it, I believe the SVH Custom is the way to go. I'll get by with clearance or sale top end retail boots for as long as possible - if none of those fit, then I'd consider customs. 

14 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

or you, I don't know if the TF series would be the fit you want because you specifically mentioned not wanting space in the toe box. They work for me because I have a very wide forefoot. I haven't tried on the Catalyst skates, but from what I can see and read, they've definitely removed a lot of negative space in that area with that lineup. They may do the same thing with the Hzrdus skate that's supposed to replace the TF line in the summer, but we won't know for sure until they're out in the summer.

If I clamp the forefoot during the baking process (after wrapping), would that do anything, or would it just deform other parts of the boot? 

Edited by pgeorgan

3 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

If I clamp the forefoot during the baking process (after wrapping), would that do anything, or would it just deform other parts of the boot? 

I would do the wrap first, see how that feels and if you still want to to try to tighten things up, you could try spot heating and clamping. Generally, it's hard to remove negative space in any boot - it's easier to gain a little space by heating, punching/stretching and just by padding compressing over time. That's why having a skate that's a little too snug to start isn't terrible. If it starts out too roomy, it's harder to deal with that.

With all of that said, my experience with the TF9 has only been in Wide. I assume you ordered the R width and that won't be as wide in the forefoot as the W models. Hopefully they'll work well for you. If not, you could give the Catalyst 9's a shot with their 30 day satisfaction guarantee or see how the Hzrdus skates fit when they come out this summer. 

I personally wouldn't clamp anything other than the heel.  even then, if you need to use a clamp, the skates are prob off by quite a bit in terms of fitment. 

You should use your hands to mold the boot around you foot. Then wrap it. The wrap serves to allow the boot to cool in the exact shape it's conformed to your foot without it naturally relaxing. As posted in other pages, this is how I wrap mine. 

GButbSl.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

I personally wouldn't clamp anything other than the heel.  even then, if you need to use a clamp, the skates are prob off by quite a bit in terms of fitment. 

You should use your hands to mold the boot around you foot. Then wrap it. The wrap serves to allow the boot to cool in the exact shape it's conformed to your foot without it naturally relaxing. As posted in other pages, this is how I wrap mine. 

Ya I wrapped my CCM's and Bauers. There's not much to it. 

I have another question for the True Crew: can I get scanned somewhere and then get a link to the scan, send it off in an email to another store and have them process the order? 

3 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I have another question for the True Crew: can I get scanned somewhere and then get a link to the scan, send it off in an email to another store and have them process the order? 

Even if true allowed this, no store would waste their time scanning you only for you to purchase it elsewhere 

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Even if true allowed this, no store would waste their time scanning you only for you to purchase it elsewhere 

So what you're saying is, True does not provide a digital copy of the scan, like Bauer does. 

3 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

So what you're saying is, True does not provide a digital copy of the scan, like Bauer does. 

No I didn't say that. I actually don't know. But I do know that a shop in Ottawa did request the specs of a player's skates when they were doing work on it (after it was built), and true shared this information to them.  The shop wasn't the same place that did the ordering. But this is different than what you're asking. But really, you think any shop is going to scan you and do all the work only to have another shop get paid for it. Kind of a "silly" question. 

19 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

No I didn't say that. I actually don't know. But I do know that a shop in Ottawa did request the specs of a player's skates when they were doing work on it (after it was built), and true shared this information to them.  The shop wasn't the same place that did the ordering. But this is different than what you're asking. But really, you think any shop is going to scan you and do all the work only to have another shop get paid for it. Kind of a "silly" question. 

I got scanned at Pure Hockey before, no problem. In the case of Bauer, you can request via the tablet they have there to have the link emailed to you. 

I don't know how CCM or True do it, but if it's the same, in theory I could get scanned and then choose a different pro shop to work with. I don't particularly care for the teenagers running the Pure Hockey around me. 

If I went the custom route, id prefer to go to the shop I used to frequent in Canada when I lived closer to the border. It's still close enough to make the trip, but not several trips.

If it sweetens the pot, I can throw $20 at the kid working the counter. They're getting paid hourly, anyway, so I fail to see the problem.

Edit: I guess a better question is, is the scanner automated like Bauer's, or is it a kid with an iPad. 

Edited by pgeorgan

I got scanned at Pure Hockey before, no problem. In the case of Bauer, you can request via the tablet they have there to have the link emailed to you. 

I don't know how CCM or True do it, but if it's the same, in theory I could get scanned and then choose a different pro shop to work with. I don't particularly care for the teenagers running the Pure Hockey around me. 

If I went the custom route, id prefer to go to the shop I used to frequent in Canada when I lived closer to the border. It's still close enough to make the trip, but not several trips.

If it sweetens the pot, I can throw $20 at the kid working the counter. They're getting paid hourly, anyway, so I fail to see the problem.

Edit: I guess a better question is, is the scanner automated like Bauer's, or is it a kid with an iPad. 

It's an ipad. Why don't you just get the scan done at your preferred shop and have the skates Shipped to your house and bake it urself. Or shipped to your house and you go to whatever shop to have it baked.  

Edited by Sniper9

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

It's an ipad. Why don't you just get the scan done at your preferred shop and have the skates Shipped to your house and bake it urself. Or shipped to your house and you go to whatever shop to have it baked.  

Because I intend to pay in CAD. It ends up being cheaper with the exchange rate. 

Because I intend to pay in CAD. It ends up being cheaper with the exchange rate. 

Then like I said ship it to your house after the scan and order is placed in Canada 

Just now, Sniper9 said:

Then like I said ship it to your house after the scan and order is placed in Canada 

Right, but I'd rather make at most 1 trip to Canada, and if possible 0. Definitely not 2. 

Right, but I'd rather make at most 1 trip to Canada, and if possible 0. Definitely not 2. 

How many trips are you counting when I say go to Canada to have your feet scanned and skates ordered. And having the skates shipped directly to your house and bake them at home. 

• Like 1

Baked the skate. Skate has now cooled. Literally cannot get my foot back in without excruciating pain. 

When the foot is in the skate, there's actually quite a bit of negative space. I even went a whole size down from Bauer.