Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

@pgeorgan did you try the TF9s with a thicker tongue? The TF7 traditional felt tongue would change the fit in the direction of what it sounds like you’re after.

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

@pgeorgan did you try the TF9s with a thicker tongue? The TF7 traditional felt tongue would change the fit in the direction of what it sounds like you’re after.

@flip12 I don't think that would've fixed my issues. Not going to get into why, as I don't want to breath life into this thread anymore by opening the door for a bunch of "did you bake it right" responses. 

I'm an engineer. There was a single-page insert. It wasn't difficult. 

The thing is, the True fit guarantee is only a 30-day window. Contrast that with CCM's 90 days. That does not leave much room for:

1. sourcing a new tongue
  2. sourcing and installing a new holder 
  3. sourcing new steel/re-profiling stock steel
  4. sourcing new insole
  5. re-bakes that sideline the skates for 24 hours
  6. actually testing the skates out on ice

etc.. ad nauseam. 

I was only planning on taking these to sticks and pucks. Given the frequency with which I'm on the ice already, that wouldn't leave much time at all.

At the end of the day, it was basically a situation of, "how is the fit out of the box after a few bakes" with no other modifications. 

It's really not a big deal. I appreciate everyones help and input, though. 

This will be my last post on the TF9's. Anyone that is still curious about these skates for themselves can PM me.

Cheers.

Edited by pgeorgan

On 7/7/2021 at 2:15 PM, calixguy18 said:

Has anyone had any issues with the TF9 digging into the area above your ankle (on the outside)? I don't think it's the top of the skate that's causing the issue but possibly the top eyelet which isn't laced. The eyelet doesn't seem recessed into the boot as much as it should be. 

I've flared out the cuff progressively wider a couple of times and it's gotten better each time but when I lean really forward, it still really bites into my leg. I will say that I've never skipped the top eyelet in the past and I seem to be able to get much more forward flex than any other skates (due to very little heel slippage). 

It's happening on both skates. In the past, I've had the top edge of skates dig into the side of my leg but I'd just wear a wristband for extra padding and it was fine. This seems to be lower and much more painful. Is it the skates or my skating technique that's causing the problem?

Did this ever resolve itself completely? I'm having this issue with my cat pros and never had this on my tf customs. Might be because the new baking instructions is only 6 mins vs 10 mins for tf customs and the skates never got as pliable. How long did you bake yours for?

Going to try a full rebake for 8-10 mins and see if that helps. 

I skate without the top eyelet done and it seems worse with this vs lacing up all the way to the top but I don't like the loss of ankle flexion with the latter.  I even flared the top cuff on the medial side but it didn't really do too much. Maybe I need to flare the outside cuff too. 

50 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Did this ever resolve itself completely? I'm having this issue with my cat pros and never had this on my tf customs. Might be because the new baking instructions is only 6 mins vs 10 mins for tf customs and the skates never got as pliable. How long did you bake yours for?

Going to try a full rebake for 8-10 mins and see if that helps. 

I skate without the top eyelet done and it seems worse with this vs lacing up all the way to the top but I don't like the loss of ankle flexion with the latter.  I even flared the top cuff on the medial side but it didn't really do too much. Maybe I need to flare the outside cuff too. 

If the only issue is the top outside eyelet, why not spot heat that area with a heat gun to work it out of the way. That way you can fully focus on the problem area and leave what’s good alone.

15 minutes ago, flip12 said:

If the only issue is the top outside eyelet, why not spot heat that area with a heat gun to work it out of the way. That way you can fully focus on the problem area and leave what’s good alone.

I did this and it didn't really work.  Maybe I didn't flare it out enough.  I was thinking of flaring the outside cuff so there's some give on that side so there's room for the ankle to move and not mainly sit up against the inside cuff. It was just a thought. I don't want to end up flaring the cuff so much that it totally messes with the lock and wrap of the boot. The area isn't just solely the top of the cuff but also a bit lower too as it's pretty hard in that area with minimal padding. This is that picture of the general area.  The first two pics are my current cat pros and the last was my tf customs. As you can see the wrap is similar. But maybe it's just diff enough to cause me issues with the current skates. I also noticed that the cuff area just before the top eyelet has a bit more padding in the tf customs vs the cat pros which is pretty hard. 

I have a game plan right now and hopefully it'll work. 

orKR28X.jpeg

NOvDGiz.jpeg

8zoINDl.jpeg

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:10 PM, start_today said:

Imagine having the extra time and disposable income to buy $1k+ custom skates you don’t want or need or even like just to endlessly complain about them before you get them, ignore advice to help them fit, and assert a bunch of unfounded assumptions, all so you can make some protracted internet argument, while lashing out at people offering advice and saying “you guys are all True fanboys, Bauer skates is the best 4eva.”

It’s like when a child throws a tantrum about not wanting to eat a food that they’ve never even tried, but in those cases the child didn’t go out and spend a bunch of energy getting that food.

Imagine being a grown man whose day is completely derailed because of an internet post. 

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm having this issue [eyelet digging in]

So when I complained about the exact same issue, I was "lashing out".

Lol.

Like I said at the outset, make it less obvious you have an agenda, and people will respond better. God forbid someone not share your personal opinion on skates. 

Edited by pgeorgan

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

So when I complained about the exact same issue, I was "lashing out".

Lol.

Like I said at the outset, make it less obvious you have an agenda, and people will respond better. God forbid someone not share your personal opinion on skates. 

If I had an agenda I wouldn't be making an objective post about the negatives I'm experiencing with this skate.  My issue is the cuff and not the eyelet rubbing my ankle bone like you had. There's a way to take the skate off and put them on without having the eyelets scrape your ankle bone. And that doesn't really have anything to do with the fit itself. Trues are known to be hard to put on and off. My issue is the rigid cuff on the top of the boot which I never had issues with on my customs. 

You posted your issues and people provided you with feedback and information.  You already made up your mind about true skates without even ever trying them and your limited knowledge about them and when people provided you with advice you ignored them.  Since you already know true skates don't fit you just return them and stop posting in this thread. 

You obviously have nothing beneficial to add to this thread anyways. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

without even ever trying them

Lol I literally purchased two pairs to try. 

11 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

stop posting in this thread. 

I stopped commenting on the skates back when I said "this is my last post". 

At this stage, you are impugning my character and making it personal by trying to whitewash my negative experience, since apparently it triggers you. 

If you don't want me to respond, do not quote me and proceed on some totally contrived diatribe about how I'm "holding it wrong". 

Edited by pgeorgan

17 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Lol I literally purchased two pairs to try. 

Let's be honest, you already knew it wasn't going to work for you before you even bought them.  

9 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Let's be honest, you already knew it wasn't going to work for you before you even bought them.  

Then why did I purchase them in the first place? Of course I know what I like and don't like - I've been skating since I was 5 and never stopped. But I keep an open mind. 

Your interest in whitewashing my experience is curious and hilarious at the same time. Keep going. 

39 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

You obviously have nothing beneficial to add to this thread anyways. 

I've actually had several MSH members PM me directly with questions and we've discussed similar experiences. They seem to be afraid of being shouted down by the Mayor of MSH for even a hint of a dissenting opinion. 

Is that you? The Mayor of MSH? 

I don't know who you are, but you're totally outing your self as having zero credibility. I suggest stopping while you're ahead before your input is dismissed altogether by the rest of the members.  

Edited by pgeorgan
  • Haha 1

first time poster and there is this big mega thread i thought I post here...

True skate sizing is weird for me...was it for you?

I've tried 8R, 8W, 8.5R... they all seem to be the same shell with modification done inside. Seems like 8.5W is the full size foot last, and then factory stuff the sides or the front to either narrow or shorten the skate to get the effective size down... My left foot is the smaller one and yet its the one felt tighter...

is it known for True to be inconsistent? I noticed the Catalyst line is temporarily unavailable for Source for Sports online store. Guess there is some QA issue..

5 hours ago, jmaister said:

first time poster and there is this big mega thread i thought I post here...

True skate sizing is weird for me...was it for you?

I've tried 8R, 8W, 8.5R... they all seem to be the same shell with modification done inside. Seems like 8.5W is the full size foot last, and then factory stuff the sides or the front to either narrow or shorten the skate to get the effective size down... My left foot is the smaller one and yet its the one felt tighter...

is it known for True to be inconsistent? I noticed the Catalyst line is temporarily unavailable for Source for Sports online store. Guess there is some QA issue..

I had a similar experience. I'll PM you directly since any critiques are automatically perceived as negative and shouted down.

Shame that its come to this. 

Edited by pgeorgan

17 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

I had a similar experience. I'll PM you directly since any critiques are automatically perceived as negative and shouted down.

Shame that its come to this. 

When things don't work out for you and you basically call out people's fixes and solutions out as hacks even though they have helped a tonne of people on here. We will continue to call out your dumb comments. Just because you don't like True skates doesn't mean there aren't good and doesn't mean there is some mass conspiracy here.

It is VERY clear you knew ahead of time they would work for you, but went ahead and then complain constantly once you got them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hills said:

When things don't work out for you and you basically call out people's fixes and solutions out as hacks even though they have helped a tonne of people on here. We will continue to call out your dumb comments. Just because you don't like True skates doesn't mean there aren't good and doesn't mean there is some mass conspiracy here.

It is VERY clear you knew ahead of time they would work for you, but went ahead and then complain constantly once you got them.

I never said any of those things, and frankly have better things to do with my time than to pay for multiple pairs of skates for no reason other than to troll MSH. Good grief. 

At any rate, thanks for proving my point. 

My advice would be to just get over it. 

Edited by pgeorgan

On 1/6/2023 at 4:13 PM, pgeorgan said:

Going to try the next size up. I think honestly skate was not meant to be used a whole size down from CCM and Bauer. That's just a "hack" people are doing to be able to stick with this skate for whatever reason. 

Yup... never said any of those things

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hills said:

Yup... never said any of those things

That's one singular comment about one singular issue. I stand by that comment. 

Go into a Pure Hockey and check out the True-branded Brannock device. It did not recommend I go with the size MSH recommended. Posters have even said as much that True stuck by their original TF9 sizing. 

Sorry you don't like it. 

Edited by pgeorgan

43 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

That's one singular comment about one singular issue. I stand by that comment. 

Go into a Pure Hockey and check out the True-branded Brannock device. It did not recommend I go with the size MSH recommended. Posters have even said as much that True stuck by their original TF9 sizing. 

Sorry you don't like it. 

Dude, just drop it.  You are obviously thin-skinned and get all bent out of shape when people challenge your arguments.

44 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Dude, just drop it.  You are obviously thin-skinned and get all bent out of shape when people challenge your arguments.

Responding to a poster about a shared experience on MSH:

"Thin-skinned"

Edited by pgeorgan

5 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Responding to a poster about a shared experience on MSH:

"Thin-skinned"

You really need to calm down. Let it go. Move on.

31 minutes ago, RodneyPierce said:

Right.  As does everyone else involved!

I figured that went without saying but if it needs to be said, then yes. Everyone move on. 

• Like 1