Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Miller55

Curve options

I'm a long time E4 Cammaleri guy. Still have some stock, few stealth RS, CX and a v9e, since I went to p88 or equivalent for a while. Was just poking around online and I didn't see much available in a similar pattern, such as the warrior 01 which I've used and the CCM 14 I believe. I looked around and all I could really find were Bauer pm9. I wear Bauer skates but I've never liked their sticks for some reason.

Some places said that True had a mc2 pattern that's similar, but I didn't find it anywhere. Just curious if I might be out of luck with this, or if there are still options for a mid/heel curve with a closed face. Thank

Edited by Miller55

Recently PM9 has, at times been relegated to a booking only pattern. So you may have better luck searching more recent releases for this, as stock will be limited unless it's a newer model.

This may have changed recently, but patterns like P91, P106, P02 and PM9 were going this direction last i was in retail

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

This may have changed recently, but patterns like P91, P106, P02 and PM9 were going this direction last i was in retail

Moving forward all those curves are MyBauer custom only.  

If I recall, there was a Sherwood curve that was really nice, I think it was 09. Haven't seen it on any online site, called my LHS they mentioned potentially custom ordering Sherwood or warrior 01 for this curve. Anyone have any experience with custom sticks? Sounds expensive

True MC2 was only available for a short time and even then only on some SMU sticks. It’s been like 4-5 years since they were being sold. (RIP A5.2Pro, excellent stick)

W01 seems like the clone that’s easiest to find, but only on their top 2 tiers. 

The kids like the wild toe curves these days. We dinosaurs gotta adapt or fade away or complain about it on the internet. I’m obviously opting for #3. 

• Like 1

There’s usually a lot of that pattern available on Prostockhockey. What specs do you prefer, hand, flex, shaft shape?

It’s good to narrow down your final selection by asking them about the actual make of the sticks as it can differ from what they’re dressed as.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flip12 said:

There’s usually a lot of that pattern available on Prostockhockey. What specs do you prefer, hand, flex, shaft shape?

It’s good to narrow down your final selection by asking them about the actual make of the sticks as it can differ from what they’re dressed as.

I didn't see much, but could be I missed something in the search. I only saw a few warriors. Right, 85ish, round shaft is my preference, not particular about shaft shape, but prefer round if I have a choice.

I guess Sherwood doesn't make the pp9 or pp96 anymore? Does Sherwood still do customs or am I living in the past?

What are the most closed blade patterns available nowadays that are coming found?

Edited by Miller55

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

I didn't see much, but could be I missed something in the search. I only saw a few warriors. Right, 85ish, round shaft is my preference, not particular about shaft shape, but prefer round if I have a choice.

I guess Sherwood doesn't make the pp9 or pp96 anymore? Does Sherwood still do customs or am I living in the past?

What are the most closed blade patterns available nowadays that are coming found?

Sherwood does do customs, as does True and CCM. 

p88 and alternatives are still readily available on all top of the line sticks at retail. Most likely your best option. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adam14 said:

Sherwood does do customs, as does True and CCM. 

p88 and alternatives are still readily available on all top of the line sticks at retail. Most likely your best option. 

Yeah I figured I'd probably just end up back at 88. I might consider a few custom rekker m90s though. That's probably a few months away for me. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Hi,

I use Sherwood PP28 which is same in lie and round toe shape as Bauer PM09 (3/8" curve), but the Sherwood has more curve (1/2" curve).

32 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Hi,

I use Sherwood PP28 which is same in lie and round toe shape as Bauer PM09 (3/8" curve), but the Sherwood has more curve (1/2" curve).

I was under the impression that the pp28 would be pretty similar to p28/w28 etc. The face is much more open than pm9 in my experience. 

16 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I was under the impression that the pp28 would be pretty similar to p28/w28 etc. The face is much more open than pm9 in my experience. 

PP28 is more open than PM09. If you don't like open curve, then you wouldn't like PP28. 

• Like 1

P28s and PM9s are often quite different in lie. P28’s quite a bit higher. They both say lie 5, but that’s an extremely sloppy measure.

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I searched again after posting. I haven’t really looked at sticks in the post-COVID19 months. Maybe their stocking has dried up due to the slowdown. Due to the prevalence of lefties, there are naturally fewer right handled sticks to choose from on PSH. But PM9 has been in such low demand they can sell for really cheap on eBay and other online marketplaces.

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Base is still an option.

@chippa13‘s right here. Have you considered Base? They make good sticks for the money. They’re not for you if you want the latest marketing tricks, but they make solid sticks and you have the options to get what you want. Too bad you’re a righty because they have the Darby for lefties. It’s a great blade if you like the PM9, but are wishing for a little more fun: very close in lie but more rockered. More curve and more of a mid curve amd more open but still delightfully mild. It’s actually very close to Kovalev’s Pro pattern—you have lie for almost any distance close in your feet or far from your body—mixed with Lemieux’s curve. It’s even harder to find than the PM9, unfortunately, as it’s only ever had flashes in the pan at retail.

• Like 1

Yeah I looked into Base, I've used a few of their blades and never loved them, but they're definitely serviceable. I'm still using v9e so I'm obviously not chasing the next techy marketing slogan, but I definitely wasn't crazy about the balance on the Base ops that I've held. In terms of recent sticks, I liked the STX rx3 and the m90 that I've shot with. The rx3 is very limited in only 3 patterns, but the m90 had a bunch, just seems like they sold out most of my flex/pattern combo. I will probably look into custom Sherwood, but in assuming the minimum order will be 6 and that's definitely going to cost, so I'm probably going to wait a bit for that. 

And yes, psh is probably not getting time of inventory with the covid shutdown. 

You could always go with All Black Hockey Sticks.  Their AB7 is supposed to be similar to a PM9.  I've never used them, but a friend of mine that is a former pro uses them and says they are pretty good.  Admittedly, we grew up with wood and then aluminum, not using composites until our mid-30's, so "pretty good" is relative.

I can do small batch order of customs for you if you want a PM9. 

We just had a player who needed 100 flex PM9 sticks which in itself is a very rare combination. We could do an order as small as 3 sticks. You don't have to select the $300 model either, that player went with the 2020 JetSpeed Team stick which is the college version of the FT3. 

On 7/26/2020 at 3:41 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I can do small batch order of customs for you if you want a PM9. 

We just had a player who needed 100 flex PM9 sticks which in itself is a very rare combination. We could do an order as small as 3 sticks. You don't have to select the $300 model either, that player went with the 2020 JetSpeed Team stick which is the college version of the FT3. 

Thanks. Just seeing this now, but thankfully I picked up 3 brand new pro stock v9es this morning. Beautiful mid heel closed face curve. BTW, anyone know who Spooner is? Though Ryan Spooner but I'm pretty sure he's a lefty from when he was a Ranger. Could it just be a random name it college player? Would they do a custom pro curve for college players or only in the show?

I will be in touch via dm when I'm ready to order some customs. The STX rx3 and the m90 are the two most impressive recent model sticks I've tried. Can you do custom Sherwood, it just CCM?

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

Nat Spooner? I think she's with True hockey now, but I guess it could be hers. That makes sense, actually, since they're 65 flex custom seniors. I play mostly roller and I like a whippy stick. I rarely wind up, but I carry the puck and take quick wristers a lot, so whippy is great, especially in the leagues that used those light roller pucks. I usually use 75 flex or 85 on some of the whippier brands. 

Looks like a vanilla PM9/E4. The pro part could just mean it’s a non-retail build. Makes sense if it’s for a team order. What about the top sticker? Does that have more info?

8 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Looks like a vanilla PM9/E4. The pro part could just mean it’s a non-retail build. Makes sense if it’s for a team order. What about the top sticker? Does that have more info?

Most likely the pro is the 65 flex full height. Usually 65 is intermediate. The blade is pretty close to the e4 though

• Like 1