Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
cause4alarm

MIPS in non-True brand helmets?

3 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

They cant. True signed an exclusive deal.  

Any idea why MIPS exclusivity didn't happen in other sports? Like did True offer a huge amount of money or are there other aspects involved?

Bauer worked with MIPS then went their own way with the RE-AKT helmet, which brought on a lawsuit. 

Easton had MIPS helmets coming out in 2016 but they were sold to Bauer before that happened. 

4 minutes ago, steve66 said:

I don't think MIPS is exclusively in TRUE, it is for now, but didn't think there was an exclusivity deal there.

Pretty sure it is.

MIPS has been burned by both CCM and Bauer. Not sure why they would go away from True in hockey anyways. 

Other sports there in a ton of different brands. But highly doubt that will change in hockey. 

1 hour ago, Coldclay said:

don't matter, True MIPS helmets suck

Hahahaha. Wow that went south in a hurry. 

Is that a personal opinion or some facts in the testing and performance that you have??

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

Yeah, care to elaborate.

Not crazy about the look, but helmets in general are functional first. 

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Hahahaha. Wow that went south in a hurry. 

Is that a personal opinion or some facts in the testing and performance that you have??

Well, it's obviously my personal opinion after watching my son almost have a concussion wearing his True lid for the first time in a game...  Check out the previous thread 'New True LId' Pg 4...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

Well, it's obviously my personal opinion after watching my son almost have a concussion wearing his True lid for the first time in a game...  Check out the previous thread 'New True LId' Pg 4...

Yes I have read it. I have seen worse with a similar helmet from another company. 

Seemed like it was a pretty freak hit. 

4 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Yes I have read it. I have seen worse with a similar helmet from another company. 

Seemed like it was a pretty freak hit. 

It was a 'nothing' hit, very low speed, but all I'm saying is that he's been playing for almost 10 yrs and nothing close to this has ever happened but the very first time he used the True lid... Anyhow the True lid sucked for HIM, but again it would probably be great for anyone who plays beer league or no-contact pick up.

1 minute ago, Coldclay said:

It was a 'nothing' hit, very low speed, but all I'm saying is that he's been playing for almost 10 yrs and nothing close to this has ever happened but the very first time he used the True lid... Anyhow the True lid sucked for HIM, but again it would probably be great for anyone who plays beer league or no-contact pick up.

Well it sure sounded like it was a hard hit. And from the mark's I would say if he didnt have a concussion then the helmet did its job? 

If you and your son dont like it and you feel it sucks that's purely up to you. 

I was just answering the questions asked. 

25 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Well it sure sounded like it was a hard hit. And from the mark's I would say if he didnt have a concussion then the helmet did its job? 

If you and your son dont like it and you feel it sucks that's purely up to you. 

I was just answering the questions asked. 

That's what I said, the True lid sucked for HIM. Again, for no-checking, the helmet is fine, but would I recommend to anyone who plays full contact? Hell no.

Weird. You said he didn’t get a concussion. So what’s the problem? Also since no helmet is concussion proof, it’s a bit of an odd measure.

2 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

That's what I said, the True lid sucked for HIM. Again, for no-checking, the helmet is fine, but would I recommend to anyone who plays full contact? Hell no.

Were all entitled to our opinions. 

15 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Weird. You said he didn’t get a concussion. So what’s the problem? Also since no helmet is concussion proof, it’s a bit of an odd measure.

Well he has never had a concussion, even taking on dudes who were 6+ ft tall and over 250lbs (he's 5'7 and 152 lbs just turned 16) but at the same time he has never had a big ass contusion on his forehead from a nothing hit either so ya, weird. He said the helmet sucks and he's sticking with his re-akt 1st Gen.

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

Well he has never had a concussion, even taking on dudes who were 6+ ft tall and over 250lbs (he's 5'7 and 152 lbs just turned 16) but at the same time he has never had a big ass contusion on his forehead from a nothing hit either so ya, weird. He said the helmet sucks and he's sticking with his re-akt 1st Gen.

So I think we got it. You think it sucks. 

4 minutes ago, flip12 said:

What?

And what about the VT test? 

It isn't a legal testing program. It's a study group that says they can test helmets and gives its proposed ratings on helmets based on testing methods that are not used by anyone else. 

Not the companies and not the 3 certification boards that actually certify helmets. 

I'm not repeating everything I have already written it's in the thread about the testing.  

• Like 1