Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
cause4alarm

MIPS in non-True brand helmets?

6 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

And what about the VT test? 

It isn't a legal testing program. It's a study group that says they can test helmets and gives its proposed ratings on helmets based on testing methods that are not used by anyone else. 

Not the companies and not the 3 certification boards that actually certify helmets. 

I'm not repeating everything I have already written it's in the thread about the testing.  

Yeah, absolutely no need to open that can again.

I was just confused because you asked @Coldclay

18 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Is that a personal opinion or some facts in the testing and performance that you have??

and I came by saying, here's a test it did not do particularly well on.

That's it. You happen to disavow that source, but that's totally up to you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Pretty sure it is.

MIPS has been burned by both CCM and Bauer. Not sure why they would go away from True in hockey anyways. 

Other sports there in a ton of different brands. But highly doubt that will change in hockey. 

We asked at the EU TRUE helmet launch in the MIPS factory Stockholm, they answered very carefully to not imply exclusivity. 

It would make sense for MIPS to be in multiple helmets for their licensing model as with multiple helmets in other sports. However, given what you mention, if another company chooses to implement MIPS is another question... So for now it's exclusively in TRUE through choice of other brands not using it, not because there is a deal as originally mentioned.  

• Like 2

So... something to note that I thought was interesting. Fluid Inside is now used on CCM helmets, Axis goalie and Tacks 910. Fluid Inside is owned by MIPS.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hills said:

So... something to note that I thought was interesting. Fluid Inside is now used on CCM helmets, Axis goalie and Tacks 910. Fluid Inside is owned by MIPS.

Very interesting.  

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

The plot thickens...

Actually not really after reading the acquisition article.  2 different technologies just happened to know be owned by Mips. Now if they add Fluid Inside to the Mips rotational system then it gets very interesting.  

At the end of the day if everyone wearing a helmet is safer and it doesn't cost 1000 for a helmet.... isn't it just better for all?

bigquotesThe acquisition is primarily part of our strategic plan to increase our patent protection and is an acknowledgment of our position as the world leader in brain protection systems within helmet-based safety. We are also very enthusiastic about strengthening our relationship with University of Ottawa and to further increase our knowledge within team sports.Max Strandwitz, CEO of MIPS

Edited by oldtrainerguy28