Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

I've skated in them twice (not mine, but my size).  Once recently and once pre-Covid.  It's a very nice skate and the tongue alone is a huge improvement of the 2S Pro.  Add the improvement to the tendon, the new asymmetrical  toecap, and the Quad 0 on the Titanium coated steel and I really like it a lot more than the 2S Pro.  The increased wrap of the facing made my foot feel as if it had better contact with the ice with each stride.  That's not to say I didn't like the 2S Pro, but it took a long time for the bottom of the tongue to depress and for me to get the skate dialed in.  

Only disappointment for me is a size 6 2S Pro had a full composite outer sole and the same size Ultrasonic does not. 

On 8/2/2020 at 8:40 PM, mojo122 said:

I've skated in them twice (not mine, but my size).  Once recently and once pre-Covid.  It's a very nice skate and the tongue alone is a huge improvement of the 2S Pro.  Add the improvement to the tendon, the new asymmetrical  toecap, and the Quad 0 on the Titanium coated steel and I really like it a lot more than the 2S Pro.  The increased wrap of the facing made my foot feel as if it had better contact with the ice with each stride.  That's not to say I didn't like the 2S Pro, but it took a long time for the bottom of the tongue to depress and for me to get the skate dialed in.  

Only disappointment for me is a size 6 2S Pro had a full composite outer sole and the same size Ultrasonic does not. 

Ultrasonic's are a semi- one piece composite boot, so they don't have an outsole in the way the 2S Pro did.  The outsole is all part of the heel and bottom of the quarter now.  But, it's definitely fully composite.

25 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Ultrasonic's are a semi- one piece composite boot, so they don't have an outsole in the way the 2S Pro did.  The outsole is all part of the heel and bottom of the quarter now.  But, it's definitely fully composite.

I think in that size range they dropped the full composite outsole. 

13 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I don't see any indication of that in any materials.  Pics of the Intermediate skate seem to have the same outsole as the Senior.  There's no reason to make the Ultrasonic skate without the composite outsole since that's the entire point of the skate.  

32 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

I don't see any indication of that in any materials.  Pics of the Intermediate skate seem to have the same outsole as the Senior.  There's no reason to make the Ultrasonic skate without the composite outsole since that's the entire point of the skate.  

@mojo122 or someone else will have to confirm. We dont have any intermediate Ultrasonics in stock at this time and will likely not be getting any as its too costly of a skate to stock and I would personally rather push a player to CCM or TRUE at that price.

Yes, as you can probably guess. I am partial to CCM and TRUE over Bauer for skates. The CCM 90-day satisfaction guarantee has been a huge benefit to many customers looking to buy a top end skate. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

2 piece, just a new, different construction.

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Guessing that previous the outsole construction changed once you moved from junior to senior sizing.  Now it's from intermediate to senior, which I guess makes sense from a business perspective.  The average consumer wouldn't/won't notice the change.  

12 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

2 piece, just a new, different construction.

Guessing that previous the outsole construction changed once you moved from junior to senior sizing.  Now it's from intermediate to senior, which I guess makes sense from a business perspective.  The average consumer wouldn't/won't notice the change.  

Looking at hockeymonkey, the skate size 6.0 is in the intermediate version and not the senior version for the 2020 Bauer models. And senior skates sizes go down to 7.0.

My last pair of Bauer's were in senior men's 6.0 D. Does this translate to Intermediate Size 6.0 ?

Edited by caveman27

@mojo122 Do you think There's enough improvement that it's worth upgrading from a 2S Pro (that's still in good shape and comfortable)?  Is the foot contact with the ice and stride power that much more pronounced?

Didn't log enough time to be honestly able to answer your question.  I wasn't overly thrilled with my 2S Pros when I first got them because of how thick the felt was on the tongue coming off the toecap.  However once that area of the tongue compressed and I got the skate dialed in I really liked the skate and the performance I got out of it.

I have a pair of custom Ultrasonic's hopefully coming within the next 2 weeks so I'll eventually be able to comment at a later time.  I really like the toecap and tendon on the the Ultrasonic and time will tell whether I will miss the injected eyelets.  

8 hours ago, psulion22 said:

@mojo122 Do you think There's enough improvement that it's worth upgrading from a 2S Pro (that's still in good shape and comfortable)?  Is the foot contact with the ice and stride power that much more pronounced?

I have a full custom order coming in later this month so can provide more long term feedback as well. I kept having fitment issues with the retail FIT2 so I had no choice but to bite the bullet and go 100% full custom. 

mV3GM2E.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
grammar ediits

Awesome, thanks guys.  I was asking because I saw a barely used pair in my size (assuming that Fit 2 does fit like a Supreme D) that I thought about picking up.  I don't have any way of trying an Ultrasonic on, or even holding it, right now because that rink is very restrictive on entrance and the pro shop.  I'm perfectly happy with my 2S Pros, they fit and feel great.  But the design change and added stiffness it creates are pretty interesting and sound like they would create a substantial amount of control and power.

I'm currently in a pair of MX3's size 7D. I've read that the new Fit 2 is equivalent to the D width. Can anyone advise if the lengths are consistent (ie, the length of a MX3 size 7 is the same as an Ultrasonic 7)? I'm guessing that I'd fall into a size 7, Fit 2.

2 minutes ago, Anjin-san said:

I'm currently in a pair of MX3's size 7D. I've read that the new Fit 2 is equivalent to the D width. Can anyone advise if the lengths are consistent (ie, the length of a MX3 size 7 is the same as an Ultrasonic 7)? I'm guessing that I'd fall into a size 7, Fit 2.

They are not. Starting with the 1S, Bauer shortened the skates by about 1/8-1/4", which often means you need to go up a 1/2 size.  Of course it depends on your actual foot and how close to the front your toes are in the MX3.  But I had to go from an 8 MX3 to an 8.5 2S Pro, which should fit the same as the Ultrasonic.  Though there will be less volume in the toecap of the Ultrasonic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

They are not. Starting with the 1S, Bauer shortened the skates by about 1/8-1/4", which often means you need to go up a 1/2 size.  Of course it depends on your actual foot and how close to the front your toes are in the MX3.  But I had to go from an 8 MX3 to an 8.5 2S Pro, which should fit the same as the Ultrasonic.  Though there will be less volume in the toecap of the Ultrasonic.

This sort of makes sense to me because of the results I get from the Bauer scanner.  When the 1S line was out, the scanner always recommended a 7.5D Supreme.  When the software was updated for the 2S Pro line, I then consistently received a recommendation of an 8D Supreme.  What I find puzzling is that with the latest software update for the Ultrasonic line, the scanner suddenly tells me I am a Fit 1.  I have a pretty high instep, and always fail the pencil test on Vapors.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

This sort of makes sense to me because of the results I get from the Bauer scanner.  When the 1S line was out, the scanner always recommended a 7.5D Supreme.  When the software was updated for the 2S Pro line, I then consistently received a recommendation of an 8D Supreme.  What I find puzzling is that with the latest software update for the Ultrasonic line, the scanner suddenly tells me I am a Fit 1.  I have a pretty high instep, and always fail the pencil test on Vapors.  

The scanner and the new FIT system are NOT on the same page at all. You can view my scans here and tell me how any of it makes sense. I had to go full custom becuase the scanner was so wrong. 

Old scan: 

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom/b60530fa-ad71-4223-a6c9-b5f20e8b71ae/?utm_medium=myvemail

New scan:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom_beta/78d525c9-78cb-497d-a3cc-f441f6c97e28/?utm_medium=myvemail

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The scanner and the new FIT system are NOT on the same page at all. You can view my scans here and tell me how any of it makes sense. I had to go full custom becuase the scanner was so wrong. 

Old scan: 

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom/b60530fa-ad71-4223-a6c9-b5f20e8b71ae/?utm_medium=myvemail

New scan:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom_beta/78d525c9-78cb-497d-a3cc-f441f6c97e28/?utm_medium=myvemail

Based on the New scan, I believe the scanner thinks you're now a Duck?

• Haha 2

Feels like a downgrade compared to the 2s pro. Losing speed plates, injected eyelets, customizable tendon guard & tongue stiffness to get a semi-one-piece boot, new toe cap, and profiled steel out of the box? If you couldn't skate in a supreme before because of volume issues then the introduction of fit sizing is nice. But if you've always worn supremes it feels like you're getting more skate for your money by getting the 2s pro especially now that it's discounted.

47 minutes ago, Arkainium said:

Feels like a downgrade compared to the 2s pro. Losing speed plates, injected eyelets, customizable tendon guard & tongue stiffness to get a semi-one-piece boot, new toe cap, and profiled steel out of the box? If you couldn't skate in a supreme before because of volume issues then the introduction of fit sizing is nice. But if you've always worn supremes it feels like you're getting more skate for your money by getting the 2s pro especially now that it's discounted.

There's a whole lot of people out there that think the injected eyelets and 2S Pro tongue are trash.  It's fine to say you like them, but to call the eyelets and tongue on the Ultrasonic downgrades is not exactly accurate.

36 minutes ago, boo10 said:

There's a whole lot of people out there that think the injected eyelets and 2S Pro tongue are trash.  It's fine to say you like them, but to call the eyelets and tongue on the Ultrasonic downgrades is not exactly accurate.

They were marketed as upgrades when they were introduced at least. Abandoning them seems to indicate that they either failed or were cutting into margins.

4 minutes ago, Arkainium said:

They were marketed as upgrades when they were introduced at least. Abandoning them seems to indicate that they either failed or were cutting into margins.

The 2S Pro tongues were not well received in general, so no surprise that Bauer went back to the drawing board on those.  The injected eyelets are still on the Vapor line, so I think it's more about differentiating features between the lines. 

Those injected eyelets still have a failure rate that in my opinion is higher than what is acceptable.  They don't break as much as the original painted ones did, but they still have issues with the stitching eventually failing.  A friend of mine had a skate basically fall off his foot mid-shift when the stitching failed on one entire row.  Now granted, if he took better care of his gear he probably would have noticed they were ready to go, but still that is catastrophic failure that can't happen with traditional eyelets.