Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

30 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

The S19 was made by Easton. The Mako was a design purchased from elsewhere. Not really comparable. 

A lot of people reference the mako because the fit of them was so totally different compared to everything else on the market. 

If its a solid concept i am surprised it has not made its way back into Bauer

Edited by justinpryor

5 minutes ago, justinpryor said:

If its a solid concept i am surprised it has not made its way back into Bauer

You say that as if it wasn't a "solid concept"... They weren't about to completely change any of their 3 models, nor were they about to add a fourth. 

19 minutes ago, djinferno said:

Dude, if you really think the differences between the one95 boot and the 3Spro boot, you are really drinking the Koolaid, things like formable quarters, and a formable lace systems are not anything new, all laces form...

i still have my one95 boot, even there tendon guard at the time had the same function and is not that big of an advancement, the 3Spro does not even have the protection in the tongue the One95 had... You're gobbling all this advertising up but you fail to realize that they explain everything on the boot and breaking it down so they can charge you double for the same thing...

As for the Ultasonic, at the price point, all your really getting is pro level steel and a better tongue, hopefully the failures wont be as many as the last 2 flagships

I'm having a tough time following what you're saying because of the grammar. Are you saying there is no difference between the one95 and the 3S Pro boots?

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm having a tough time following what you're saying because of the grammar. Are you saying there is no difference between the one95 and the 3S Pro boots?

Yes, that’s what he’s saying. And then further that the only difference between the 3S Pro and the Ultrasonic is the tongue and the steel. 🙄 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

there is a difference, but to me there not ground braking, just a 2020 version...

This is a positive thing to me, I love that boot, my point was that I cant see how the ultrasonic has much value when you think that the flagship has lost features like the lacing systems, speed plates are gone, but the price still went up to 1150$

I just think these prices are B.S

• Facepalm 1

Guys stop banging your heads on the wall, i'm saying the quality has gone down yet the prices keep going to ridiculous hights

Vapor 10's  = 6 Years

one95's = 6 Years

Mx3 = 4 Years

In 16 years of Bauer, I repaired 1 eyelet

1S's = 2 years I repaired them 3 times, once within 1st year, lacing system...  boot unstitching everywhere, i think that after 18 years in there product, im a little qualified to comment on the quality of the product over the years...

I play less and less competitive, take better care of my gear over the years yet I get less life out of em...

Edited by djinferno
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

You say that as if it wasn't a "solid concept"... They weren't about to completely change any of their 3 models, nor were they about to add a fourth. 

I get it. Just surprised that market research hasnt noticed people crying for this product and they have done nothing with it. 

15 minutes ago, justinpryor said:

I get it. Just surprised that market research hasnt noticed people crying for this product and they have done nothing with it. 

Depends on how many people are crying for it.  The magnification of the internet doesn't necessarily mean there is a sufficient business case to move forward.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Depends on how many people are crying for it.  The magnification of the internet doesn't necessarily mean there is a sufficient business case to move forward.

The price of Mako used resellers is a decent indication in part. Obviously the price is higher because they're harder to come by and all you need is one guy who loves them to pay 4-500 bucks, but they regularly sell above 350 in decent shape in the common sizes. I know this is a small indication, but if they got rid of the Nexus I think there's definitely room for Bauer to release a Mako type skate. Maybe TF9 sales will be a good indication of the retail market for that type of skate

Part of the problem is the Mako came out when Easton was going through a pretty steep decline in popularity.

If Bauer re-released the Mako II with an Edge holder, new graphics, and called it the UltraBoomADVSonicLite with a superdynaflex tendon guard it would probably fly off the shelves at levels the Mako never came close to. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 10

20 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I believe the True boot is closer to the Bauer design than the CCM, that being different pieces fused together.  CCM is one, uncut piece of material for the whole boot, except the toe cap.  Bauer and True are taking a quarter piece and a heel/outsole piece and fusing them together with resin in a mold.  Bauer is using Curv composite for the whole thing, while True is varying the materials on each model.

Huh, your take on True's construction sounds different than mine. What makes you think the way they build their boots is closer to Bauer's method, fusing a quarter piece to the heel/outsole piece?

21 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

If Bauer re-released the Mako II with an Edge holder, new graphics, and called it the UltraBoomADVSonicLite with a superdynaflex tendon guard it would probably fly off the shelves at levels the Mako never came close to. 

Will it also have valyrian steel? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hills said:

I'm curious how CCM explains their AS1 skates splitting down what looks like a seam on a bunch of their boots if it is all one piece.

19 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The previous generations may start with a one-piece frame but there are layers added to it. The new AS3 Pro "seems" to in fact be one-piece but I won't know until we start seeing the first ones start to break down or fail so I can tear the skate down and look at it more in depth. Note: I am not saying the AS3 Pro is by any means a poorly made skate, just that with it being popular we will eventually see some come back under warranty returns, satisfaction guarantee, or due to defects. 

The TRUE boot and Bauer Ultrasonic are not even remotely close in design. The TRUE heritage is more closely related to the MLX and MAKO, if anything. 

That's a really interesting video because he's showing you the inner shell of the skate.  I was wrong, I thought True was making that using two pieces fused together.  That's what Bauer is doing with the Ultrasonic.  CCM is doing the same as True and making it out of one piece also.  Any seams could be the layering of other pieces or the way the composite fabric is cut.  It's made with a cut out pattern just like any other garment and the piece is laid out in the mold to form the shell.  If CCM is using a pattern where two ends have to be folded onto each other, there could be a seam like appearance.  When it comes down to it, all theese "one piece" boots are using the same design concept - create a solid shell that makes the Quarter and outsole one piece and eliminates the midsole.  That creates stiffness and stability through the heel and the bottom of the skate.  Both Bauer and True are even using the same term - "unibody".  How they layer materials on that shell vaires from skate to skate, but the one piece shell remains the same through all of them.  I believe the difference between the Ultrasonic and the True/CCM is that Bauer is making that shell in two pieces.  They are making the composite quarter like they have for pretty much any skate for years.  Then they are making a composite heel and outsole piece and fusing them together in a mold using resin.  It's one complete shell made of two pieces.  It's not the old process where they would make a composite shell and then attach the midsole and outsole to it using glue and nails.  That's how they are making the 3S Pro - same two pieces, but made using the old method.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Huh, your take on True's construction sounds different than mine. What makes you think the way they build their boots is closer to Bauer's method, fusing a quarter piece to the heel/outsole piece?

I just answered this, turns out I was mistaken.  I thought it was that because of the large composite heel piece on the outside that was present on all the skates, even when the quarter is made of different materials.  So I thought they were taking that composite heel and outsole and attaching it to whatever the quarter is. 

Edited by psulion22

3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Part of the problem is the Mako came out when Easton was going through a pretty steep decline in popularity.

you name products for bauer dont you

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, justinpryor said:

Just not enough people. You have to remember that this forum is going to be HEAVILY skewed towards gear nerds and not necessarily kids who won’t buy the “dusty” skate with the orange trim. So while it was clearly a hit here, it likely wasn’t at retail.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Didn't some of the Mako tech make its way into current Bauer skates? The flexible tendon guard on the Supreme, no?

No. Bauer scoffed at that “innovation,” pointing out they had had that feature going back to the one90. Back in the day all skates had it.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/29/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Easton-skate.aspx

Edited by flip12
Found source
  • Like 1

Bauer did have a flexible tendon guard before the Mako, however; one could argue that the assymetrical toe boxes they're now starting to use are at least reminiscent of, and possibly inspired by, the Mako. I know the toe caps aren't the same, but it's a similar concept. 

13 hours ago, flip12 said:

No. Bauer scoffed at that “innovation,” pointing out they had had that feature going back to the one90. Back in the day all skates had it.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/29/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Easton-skate.aspx

That’s not a fair statement. 

While all tendon guards “back in the day” became flexible over time (because they broke) the ONE90 was the first to be designed to actually flex and rebound.  The premise behind that skate was dynamic range of motion. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

That’s not a fair statement. 

While all tendon guards “back in the day” became flexible over time (because they broke) the ONE90 was the first to be designed to actually flex and rebound.  The premise behind that skate was dynamic range of motion. 

That’s a good point. I’ve never gotten to try a one90; still keeping my eyes out for a pair in the right size.

25 minutes ago, flip12 said:

That’s a good point. I’ve never gotten to try a one90; still keeping my eyes out for a pair in the right size.

They were fairly advanced skates. I remember the advertising talking about how they weighed less than 800 grams and had the Lightspeed 2 Power holder which was supposed to be ultra-stiff. I skate with a lot of guys who still wear and love those skates. The players I know that did finally transition to modern skates almost always adopted the Ribcor 70k/80k but always lamented the One90.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
grammar ediits
  • Like 1