Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

Two questions about these skates:

Is this Pulse steel Quad profile exactly the same as the ProSharp Quad0?

How hard (expensive) is it to change out the tongues on the retail skate?

1 minute ago, 218hockey said:

Changing the tongue is the same as any other skate. You can easily do it yourself or any decent pro shop can do it. 

The Pulse steel is a Quad 0 without any pitch added. 

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

I don't want to start a new thread, but can anyone confirm what the new 2x Pro comes profiled with? I've seen on the inside of the box that it's supposed to be a Pro Sharp Zuperior. However, icewarehouse.com, eg, has it listed as a simple 10ft profile. 

10' standard profile. The recommendation as per Bauer is to put a Zuperior on it. 

2 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Changing the tongue is the same as any other skate. You can easily do it yourself or any decent pro shop can do it. 

The Pulse steel is a Quad 0 without any pitch added. 

Thanks!

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Ah. Is that what it says inside the box? Why isn't there any literature on it until you buy the product?

So they put a quad on the Ultra's and recommend zuperior on the 2x but it doesn't come with it, and you can only read about it if you look inside the box. Interesting. 

Yeah, I was also confused when we got in the new 2020 Vapor and Supreme skates since it had this sticker on the box. I actually had to speak with multiple people at Bauer to get a confirmation since the sales reps had no idea. If I was ProSharp I think I would be a little bit annoyed that they didn't include more information or at least a link to a website for people to learn more.

b8q8ZGz.jpg

2 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yeah, I was also confused when we got in the new 2020 Vapor and Supreme skates since it had this sticker on the box. I actually had to speak with multiple people at Bauer to get a confirmation since the sales reps had no idea. If I was ProSharp I think I would be a little bit annoyed that they didn't include more information or at least a link to a website for people to learn more.

b8q8ZGz.jpg

Is it maybe because they have an inventory of LS5 steel that they have to use up before they start shipping profiled steel on the Vapors?

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Is it maybe because they have an inventory of LS5 steel that they have to use up before they start shipping profiled steel on the Vapors?

According to our Bauer rep, they will continue to manufacture and distribute LS5 steel with the standard 10' radius until the next generation of Vapor skates are released. I dont know what the next generation of skates will come with.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

On 9/22/2020 at 3:48 AM, 218hockey said:

Depends on the runner length.   My 254 runners are profiled with a Quad XS (6-8-11-12).  Quad 0 is 6-9-11-13 and my understanding is the Quad profile that is on sizes 7 and up. 

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Depends on the runner length.   My 254 runners are profiled with a Quad XS (6-8-11-12).  Quad 0 is 6-9-11-13 and my understanding is the Quad profile that is on sizes 7 and up. 

I am pretty sure Bauer is putting a Quad 0 on all of the steel, not altering the profile at all for the size.  

Why would you state that when I already confirmed that size 6 runners are profiled to a Quad XS?  Bauer partnered with ProSharp and are profiling runners with Quad profiles based on ProSharp's recommendations of 3XS, XXS, XS for runner sizes 1 through 6 and then Quad 0 on size 7 and up.

16 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Why would you state that when I already confirmed that size 6 runners are profiled to a Quad XS?  Bauer partnered with ProSharp and are profiling runners with Quad profiles based on ProSharp's recommendations of 3XS, XXS, XS for runner sizes 1 through 6 and then Quad 0 on size 7 and up.

Because what Bauer has told you and the individuals at Bauer I have spoken with have told me is conflicting. The people I spoke with specifically told me they are only using a standard Quad 0. I checked all of the Pulse steel we received from size 3-12 and the profile seems to be the same on them all, a Quad 0.

7 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Because what Bauer has told you and the individuals at Bauer I have spoken with have told me is conflicting. The people I spoke with specifically told me they are only using a standard Quad 0. I checked all of the Pulse steel we received from size 3-12 and the profile seems to be the same on them all, a Quad 0.

I never said Bauer told me, did I?  

59 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

I never said Bauer told me, did I?  

I thought you said you messaged them on Twitter or something. Maybe I am thinking of someone else.

Who told you that info then?

37 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I thought you said you messaged them on Twitter or something. Maybe I am thinking of someone else.

Who told you that info then?

I posted the question about whether the size appropriate Quad profiles were being used to Prosharp.  Below is the response they posted.

Thanks for the question! Based on information from Bauer - 3S Pro skates - senior, intermediate and junior sizes have Power profile which translates to Quad 0. Obviously if you want to have smaller radii you have an option to get them re-profiled with one of the smaller Quad profile, for example XS or XXS.

Since that time they have followed up in another forum stating anything that is stamped with Power Profile should be getting the size appropriate quad radius.  This seems to be the case up until Quad 0.  Meaning larger sizes are not getting Quad 1 or 2.  The pair I came across was a size 2 and it looked (so far as I could tell) like a quad 3XS.

I now have 12 sessions in on the new skates and the more I use them the more I find little things that need to be adjusted for them to "work" with my skating. As I am making these adjustments the more I am liking the skates. I still feel more stable on my TRUE skates as they feel better connected to the ice but the Ultrasonic skates are more comfortable with the oversized ankle pads, thicker clarino liners, and comfort pads. 

23 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I now have 12 sessions in on the new skates and the more I use them the more I find little things that need to be adjusted for them to "work" with my skating. As I am making these adjustments the more I am liking the skates. I still feel more stable on my TRUE skates as they feel better connected to the ice but the Ultrasonic skates are more comfortable with the oversized ankle pads, thicker clarino liners, and comfort pads. 

What little things need to be adjusted? Can you give some examples?

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

What little things need to be adjusted? Can you give some examples?

Pitch of the skate required me to mess with shims until I was able to determine the proper forward pitch. Had to add a 4mm shim to the right foot and a 3mm shim to the left foot. 

Adjusted my profile from a Zuperior to a Quad 2. 

Needed to stretch the right toes a little more. My little pinky toe was being smashed by the new toe cap width. 

Had to change my lacing pattern to outside-in at the bottom, and inside-out at the top.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Needed to stretch the right toes a little more. My little pinky toe was being smashed by the new toe cap width. 

That area has been a problem for me in almost every modern skate with the exception of the 20K and CL.  Did you have to punch where the toe cap is attached to the quarter?  Did you just use a regular punch tool or did you have to use something special like the toecap punch that Custom Skateworks designed?

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Pitch of the skate required me to mess with shims until I was able to determine the proper forward pitch. Had to add a 4mm shim to the right foot and a 3mm shim to the left foot. 

Adjusted my profile from a Zuperior to a Quad 2. 

Had to change my lacing pattern to outside-in at the bottom, and inside-out at the top.

Coming from a pair of True customs also find a similar experience in the width.  I find that even with a fit 3 my pinky toe gets smashed in the toe box on all the new Bauer skates.

I've found the toe box in the 2X Pro roomier than the Ultrasonic.  I was a little concerned when waiting for my MyBauer Ultrasonic because my left foot width wise is a EEE+ and I was downsizing one full size from the recommended size.  However both width and toe box are perfect.

Regarding the Ultrasonic skates:

I have been skating in Bauer skates for almost 20 years now, and the fit, feel and performance has worked well for me.  I still currently skate in the 1S and 2S Pro skates regularly, and was looking at getting pair of custom Ultrasonics in the next few weeks and retiring the 1S skates.  Looking over the order format, the My Bauer site offers the option for the "stock" vs. "stiff" boot flex.  Anyone have any feedback regarding the difference in boots?  I was under the impression the Ultrasonic skate was already a "pro" level skate with a stiff boot?  Is this an even MORE stiff boot?   I'll be wearing these to play competitive league play as well as officiate at the NCAA/Juniors level upwards of 15-20 hours a week.  

1 hour ago, Robertwil18 said:

I have been skating in Bauer skates for almost 20 years now, and the fit, feel and performance has worked well for me.  I still currently skate in the 1S and 2S Pro skates regularly, and was looking at getting pair of custom Ultrasonics in the next few weeks and retiring the 1S skates.  Looking over the order format, the My Bauer site offers the option for the "stock" vs. "stiff" boot flex.  Anyone have any feedback regarding the difference in boots?  I was under the impression the Ultrasonic skate was already a "pro" level skate with a stiff boot?  Is this an even MORE stiff boot?   I'll be wearing these to play competitive league play as well as officiate at the NCAA/Juniors level upwards of 15-20 hours a week.  

I think the Ultrasonic skate is softer and allows more boot flex than the 2S Pro. Bauer never provided a stiffness index for the previous generations of skates so I cannot confirm this. As someone who has the Ultrasonic skates I cannot imagine wanting them to be stiffer, the current retail spec is already very rigid. I dont skate as much as you, but I do log at least 12-18 hours of ice time weekly. If you want a boot that's stiff like a ski boot, then consider the stiff option.