Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think the Ultrasonic skate is softer and allows more boot flex than the 2S Pro. Bauer never provided a stiffness index for the previous generations of skates so I cannot confirm this. As someone who has the Ultrasonic skates I cannot imagine wanting them to be stiffer, the current retail spec is already very rigid. I dont skate as much as you, but I do log at least 12-18 hours of ice time weekly. If you want a boot that's stiff like a ski boot, then consider the stiff option. 

As a heads up, it seems very recently Bauer updated the descriptions for these skates and the "stiffness index" that corresponds to it.  The Ultrasonic has a stiffness rating of 90, the highest in the "stock" line.  Still no word on what the "Stiff" is, but i would assume 100 based on the 10 rating tiering of the lower tier skates in the Supreme line (3S 80, etc.).  Im going to reach out for clarification regarding their custom lines and the specific stiffness of the "stock" v. "stiff" as it pertains to custom models.  Thanks.

Edited by Robertwil18

44 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

As a heads up, it seems very recently Bauer updated the descriptions for these skates and the "stiffness index" that corresponds to it.  The Ultrasonic has a stiffness rating of 90, the highest in the "stock" line.  Still no word on what the "Stiff" is, but i would assume 100 based on the 10 rating tiering of the lower tier skates in the Supreme line (3S 80, etc.).  Im going to reach out for clarification regarding their custom lines and the specific stiffness of the "stock" v. "stiff" as it pertains to custom models.  Thanks.

Would you know what the stiffness rating of the 2X Pro is?  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, redlight31 said:

Would you know what the stiffness rating of the 2X Pro is?  Thanks!

I haven't found that info yet, but i would assume the 2S and 2X Pro models are identical in stiffness.  I'll report back if i get a reply from Bauer. 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I am pretty sure Bauer is putting a Quad 0 on all of the steel, not altering the profile at all for the size.  

Didn't want to beat this anymore and I know this isn't specifically about the skate but I want to clarify something about the Pulse TI.

I know the runners that come in the Ultrasonics have the Quad profile. But not the replacement Pulse TI runners at lhs? Standard 10' radius?

8 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Didn't want to beat this anymore and I know this isn't specifically about the skate but I want to clarify something about the Pulse TI.

I know the runners that come in the Ultrasonics have the Quad profile. But not the replacement Pulse TI runners at lhs? Standard 10' radius?

That is correct.  Aftermarket LS Pulse and Pulse TI is 10'

4 hours ago, mojo122 said:

That is correct.  Aftermarket LS Pulse and Pulse TI is 10'

That's interesting. Bauer must have updated that recently. 

I know Bauer.com they used to list the steel as coming with the Power profile. I had actually ordered a pair using my Bauer University discount and the ones that shipped did in fact have a Quad0. I verified this on the ProSharp when they arrived. 

I've now skated in my MyBauer Ultrasonics for 10-hours.  No complaints and the break in was much easier than that for the 2S Pro (mostly because of the tongue).  I feel that it only took a few skates to dial them in.  Hard to compare them directly to the retail Ultrasonic since I opted for the Classic Felt tongue instead of the retail Reflex Pro tongue.  Overall very happy with the fit and performance so far.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:20 PM, Robertwil18 said:

I wonder if the new intermediate size for the Ultrasonics are a softer boot flex than the senior?

On 8/22/2020 at 7:46 PM, althoma1 said:

I'm not stating it as fact. That's just my perception based on what I've seen and read. 

When I see steel coming loose in games on TV it's almost always from Bauer Edge holders. I do concede that part of that is because they're the most used holder in the NHL. I believe they're the most used holder in the NHL because they were the first major brand to release a quick release holder (QuickBlade was out first, but they don't have the following Bauer does) and a lot of NHL players grew up playing on Bauer skates so they trust the brand. Once the equipment managers stocked up on the Edge holders it's easier for them to just get as many players on that system as possible. 

I've also read about the Edge holders getting some play in them after being used by heavier players who skate aggressively. I have never used them; so my opinion is only based on what I've seen and read. I'm content to keep trucking along with the CXN holders. It takes a few minutes to swap steel with those, but I don't do it often and I've never had the steel pop out during play. 

I think it’s weird that people on here think that equipment managers are pushing players into certain gear?!?! 

Pros get what they WANT. They try things, they talk to each other, they use what they like. And they are picky. 

21 minutes ago, pucks_putts said:

I think it’s weird that people on here think that equipment managers are pushing players into certain gear?!?! 

Pros get what they WANT. They try things, they talk to each other, they use what they like. And they are picky. 

Equipment managers do actually have some input on what pros use and many pros appreciate recommendations from equipment managers.

• Like 4

On 10/17/2020 at 1:21 PM, pucks_putts said:

Not weird at all.  I've been around long enough to hear the stories of EQMs getting trucks and boats from reps for getting X amount of players in their product...

But when it comes to holders, absolutely; if it makes an EQM's life easier by having everyone in the same holder, they're going to do it. 

• Like 4

On 10/17/2020 at 12:21 PM, pucks_putts said:

Pros get what they WANT. And they are picky. 

Pros get what they want. A good number don't know what they want. And surprisingly few are picky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried on or used the 3S Pro? Is it similar to the 2S level skates? My wife is updating from the 2016(?) s180, and 3S Pro seems like it will be the most similar because of the Curv. 

On 9/23/2020 at 11:04 PM, blueshirts said:

I posted the question about whether the size appropriate Quad profiles were being used to Prosharp.  Below is the response they posted.

Thanks for the question! Based on information from Bauer - 3S Pro skates - senior, intermediate and junior sizes have Power profile which translates to Quad 0. Obviously if you want to have smaller radii you have an option to get them re-profiled with one of the smaller Quad profile, for example XS or XXS.

Since that time they have followed up in another forum stating anything that is stamped with Power Profile should be getting the size appropriate quad radius.  This seems to be the case up until Quad 0.  Meaning larger sizes are not getting Quad 1 or 2.  The pair I came across was a size 2 and it looked (so far as I could tell) like a quad 3XS.

Fwiw, the guy we talked to at the Bauer Experience store today said intermediate skates come with XS and senior with 0. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and competent. 

Seems like there may have been misinformation given out early, but this is one more data point for size appropriate profiles. 

On 2/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, start_today said:

Has anyone tried on or used the 3S Pro? Is it similar to the 2S level skates? My wife is updating from the 2016(?) s180, and 3S Pro seems like it will be the most similar because of the Curv. 

On 2/21/2021 at 11:24 PM, mojo122 said:

3S Pro replaced the 2S in the Supreme line.

The 3S Pro is the second tier skate, but it's a significant step up from the 2S.  It's nearly identical to the 2S Pro at a 25% discount.  Honestly, it's almost identical to the Ultrasonic, with the exception of the unibody construction.  Because of that new construction, I think Bauer is putting the Ultrasonic in a new flagship category above the previous "Pro" label.  So, 3S replaces 2S, 3S Pro replaces 2S Pro, and US sits above them.  Now you're getting the previous top tier skate at a lower price to reflect the lack of premium technology.

21 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The 3S Pro is the second tier skate, but it's a significant step up from the 2S.  It's nearly identical to the 2S Pro at a 25% discount.  Honestly, it's almost identical to the Ultrasonic, with the exception of the unibody construction.  Because of that new construction, I think Bauer is putting the Ultrasonic in a new flagship category above the previous "Pro" label.  So, 3S replaces 2S, 3S Pro replaces 2S Pro, and US sits above them.  Now you're getting the previous top tier skate at a lower price to reflect the lack of premium technology.

Going to disagree.  I would compare the 3S Pro to be more like the 1S minus the the outsole (1S had a full composite).  

48 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Going to disagree.  I would compare the 3S Pro to be more like the 1S minus the the outsole (1S had a full composite).  

I thought the 3s pro also have a full comp outsole? And I'm not exactly sure what the difference was between the 1S and 2S pro anyway (I know the superficial ones like the tongue, in saying the structure of the boot send identical to me. I have both).

37 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I thought the 3s pro also have a full comp outsole? And I'm not exactly sure what the difference was between the 1S and 2S pro anyway (I know the superficial ones like the tongue, in saying the structure of the boot send identical to me. I have both).

Partial, not full....readily discernible if you pull the footbed outs on senior size skates.  I've played in every top tiered Supreme skate dating back to the One90.  Huge difference when I went from 1S to 2S Pro.  

35 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Partial, not full....readily discernible if you pull the footbed outs on senior size skates.  I've played in every top tiered Supreme skate dating back to the One90.  Huge difference when I went from 1S to 2S Pro.  

Never noticed. I'll look when I get home. What difference does it make? Power?

5 hours ago, mojo122 said:

4 hours ago, Miller55 said:

4 hours ago, mojo122 said:

The 3S pro has a full composite outsole, but a TPU midsole.  1S, 2S Pro, and Ultrasonic have full composite outsole and midsole.

However, the 3s Pro has Carbon Curve quarters, Aerolite foam ankles, the comfort wrap ankles, 52 oz tongue, and the new Pulse runners.  It's a significant step up from the 2S in pretty much every way, and is also an improvement over the 1S in the quarter material, ankle foams, and steel, though a downgrade in the midsole.  As you said, the 2S Pro was a huge difference from the 1S.  That was because of those improvements I mentioned that the 3S Pro has but 1S and 2S don't.

Edited by psulion22

20 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Carbon Curv is only currently on the Ultrasonic and 2X Pro.  

Hockey Monkey has it listed on the 3S Pro, but you are correct, Bauer only lists Curv.  So that is a step down.  But the ankle padding, comfort edge, tongue, and steel are all still big upgrades from the 2S.

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

But the ankle padding, comfort edge, tongue, and steel are all still big upgrades from the 2S.

Agree on all these points and would add the tendon guard to your list...