Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

On 2/28/2021 at 12:30 AM, start_today said:

Fwiw, the guy we talked to at the Bauer Experience store today said intermediate skates come with XS and senior with 0. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and competent. 

Seems like there may have been misinformation given out early, but this is one more data point for size appropriate profiles. 

Any confirmation on what profiles come with that size? I've got 254 Power Profile runner, what "Quad" do I have? @blueshirts, @start_today

Thanks

On 8/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, mojo122 said:

Didn't log enough time to be honestly able to answer your question.  I wasn't overly thrilled with my 2S Pros when I first got them because of how thick the felt was on the tongue coming off the toecap.  However once that area of the tongue compressed and I got the skate dialed in I really liked the skate and the performance I got out of it.

I have a pair of custom Ultrasonic's hopefully coming within the next 2 weeks so I'll eventually be able to comment at a later time.  I really like the toecap and tendon on the the Ultrasonic and time will tell whether I will miss the injected eyelets.  

Hi, how did you find the transition from injected eyelets back to traditional eyelets?  I've been on injected eyelets since around 2015 and love them so I can't even remember what traditional eyelets would feel like anymore.  I'm concerned it would affect the way things feel on the ice and it kind of sucks that the Supremes don't have the injected eyelets anymore.  I'm hesitant to go to the Vapor line just for the eyelets as I've been Supremes since forever.  

Hello there, I notice these ultrasonics seem to have a higher instep height than other skates just from looking at the boot. Is it actually the case? In all retail skates so far instep is a big problem for me; top of my feet get compressed and toes become numb

Bumping this since Ultrasonics are 30% clearance right now. 

I got a pair of hyperlites in size 6, fit 1. Decided that I don't necessarily like them as much as I'd hoped. Went to Pure to try on a pair of size 6 fit 1 Ultrasonics. I was pretty shocked to find that they fit narrower with more negative space than my hyper lites; especially in that narrow toe box and forefoot. They didnt have any ultrasonics in my size, fit 2 left, but they did have the machs in my size, fit 2. Tried those on and the fit was awesome. Great toe box, great forefoot and ankle wrap. 

Would it be safe to assume the fit 2 ultrasonics will fit fairly similar to the mach? I've seen that they increased the mach toe cap a teeny, bit, but aside from that, pretty close?

1 hour ago, JSchultz said:

I got a pair of hyperlites in size 6, fit 1. Decided that I don't necessarily like them as much as I'd hoped. Went to Pure to try on a pair of size 6 fit 1 Ultrasonics. I was pretty shocked to find that they fit narrower with more negative space than my hyper lites; especially in that narrow toe box and forefoot. They didnt have any ultrasonics in my size, fit 2 left, but they did have the machs in my size, fit 2. Tried those on and the fit was awesome. Great toe box, great forefoot and ankle wrap. 

Would it be safe to assume the fit 2 ultrasonics will fit fairly similar to the mach? I've seen that they increased the mach toe cap a teeny, bit, but aside from that, pretty close?

Fit will be a bit diff bc of wider toebox and forefoot area in mach. Mach also has more padding in general. Fit 2 3s pros were really narrow for me in forefoot and was more narrow than a fit 1 mach for me. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JSchultz said:

You aren't imagining that. I had the same experience with Vapors and Supremes regarding the spacing issue. This past weekend I tried on the M5 Pro and the Mach in a 6.5 Fit 3 and they felt amazing. The toe box issue has been addressed (and well documented via Bauer) and I definitely noticed the extra space. My toes and forefoot were crammed and crunched in the 3s when I tried it on last January. 

The clearance pricing of the US's is pretty alluring, but I remember the fitment was just not good for me. As @Sniper9 said, the Mach will fit different, but in a better way imho if you didnt care for how narrow the US's were in the forefoot and toe box. FWIW, I'm currently in a Size 7, Fit 2 Vapor 3x, and feel like they don't hug/snug my entire foot as well as the M5 Pro and Mach did (more padding in the Supremes). I plan on buying the Mach in a 6.5, Fit 3 here in the near future.

Edited by beedee

4 minutes ago, beedee said:

You aren't imagining that. I had the same experience with Vapors and Supremes regarding the spacing issue. This past weekend I tried on the M5 Pro and the Mach in a 6.5 Fit 3 and they felt amazing. The toe box issue has been addressed (and well documented via Bauer) and I definitely noticed the extra space. My toes and forefoot were crammed and crunched in the 3s when I tried it on last January. 

The clearance pricing of the US's is pretty alluring, but I remember the fitment was just not good for me. As @Sniper9 said, the Mach will fit different, but in a better way imho if you didnt care for how narrow the US's were in the forefoot and toe box. FWIW, I'm currently in a Size 7, Fit 2 Vapor 3x, and feel like they don't hug/snug my entire foot as well as the M5 Pro and Mach did (more padding in the Supremes). I plan on buying the Mach in a 6.5, Fit 3 here in the near future.

Very confusing, especially when you assume (as Bauer's own marketing has told us) that fit 1 will be the most negative space and conforming. I agree that it has to be the extra padding on the Supreme line, which makes me wonder how much the fit will change once baked and skated in. 

Since I couldn't find my size at Pure, I decided to troll eBay last night and found a pair of size 6 ultrasonic demo skates in fit 2 for $400, which are delivering today. Hopefully they fit well enough for me to keep. Otherwise, them Machs are looking tasty. 🙈

28 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

Very confusing, especially when you assume (as Bauer's own marketing has told us) that fit 1 will be the most negative space and conforming. I agree that it has to be the extra padding on the Supreme line, which makes me wonder how much the fit will change once baked and skated in. 

Since I couldn't find my size at Pure, I decided to troll eBay last night and found a pair of size 6 ultrasonic demo skates in fit 2 for $400, which are delivering today. Hopefully they fit well enough for me to keep. Otherwise, them Machs are looking tasty. 🙈

Ya its confusing and annoying so the best thing to do is to actually try them on in person if possible. 

My ultrasonics just got delivered. size 6 fit 2 ultrasonic fit nearly identical to size 6 fit 2 mach, with the exception of the widened toe cap Bauer mentioned. All is well. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:57 AM, pgeorgan said:

Otherwise, their fit system is pretty straightforward. 

And if you listened to the Bauer marketing spiel (youtu.be/I7iCxCk8nHo) that seemed all straight forward enough until you actually tried the skates on. From the horse's mouth, a fit 1 was close to a Vapour D - what a joke that was. At least Bauer have recognised this and made changes to the fit line with the Mach release. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 6:25 PM, pgeorgan said:

I'm sitting in a pair of tapered AS-V Pros as we speak. I'd really love to pick the brain of any CCM engineer. Curious to know what the approach is here and why. 

What is it that you would want to ask the Skate Product Manager at CCM.

I picked up a pair of the ASV Pro skates this year because I wanted to compare the skate (features and performance) against my current Ultrasonics.  I really liked the performance of the one-piece boot, but unfortunately for me a developed a painful mid-foot bone spur in them that didn't resolve with a boot punch.  I attributed it to the stiffness of the skate.  I was extremely disappointed as I really wanted this skate to work for me.  It's just TOO stiff, which my be why very few pros are in it.

To me Bauer's fit system is far better than CCM's.  I found the regular fit Tacks to be wider and deeper than a Fit 3 Bauer.  Can't imagine what the wide is like?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acura9927 said:

I have a chance to buy new Ultrasonics for about 335 dollars. How is the tendon guard holding up for you guys that have had it for a few years?

As long as you don't use the tendon guard to remove and put on your skates you'll be fine. It's the same tendon guard as the machs m5 pro 3s pro. It feels solid to me. But like any tendon guard it'll wear and break eventually if you use it like I mentioned above. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

As long as you don't use the tendon guard to remove and put on your skates you'll be fine. It's the same tendon guard as the machs m5 pro 3s pro. It feels solid to me. But like any tendon guard it'll wear and break eventually if you use it like I mentioned above. 

Thanks, Thats a pretty good price right? Its 335 including tax when I convert CAD to USD but I have to drive 2.5 hrs to Langley BC to buy it. I live in Seattle. 

I don't need the skate I have new M4s. But the price, dang its hard to resist. 

Oh yeah, add 50 bucks gas.

Edited by acura9927

They hold up well. My son used them for two seasons of varsity and they're still okay. No issue with the tendon guards.

I think you're getting a good deal. Can't you get them shipped for $50? Save all that time?

Also, we're getting a like new pair of pro stock Hyperlite skates today to possibly replace the Ultrasonics. We'll see.

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

They hold up well. My son used them for two seasons of varsity and they're still okay. No issue with the tendon guards.

I think you're getting a good deal. Can't you get them shipped for $50? Save all that time?

Also, we're getting a like new pair of pro stock Hyperlite skates today to possibly replace the Ultrasonics. We'll see.

I just paid for them. They won't ship to US. Hopefully the order will be full filled and not a in stock error cause I checked ebay and sideline swap and nothing came close that price. 

Bauer Supreme UltraSonic Intermediate Hockey Skates (thehockeyshop.com)

10 hours ago, acura9927 said:

Thanks, Thats a pretty good price right? Its 335 including tax when I convert CAD to USD but I have to drive 2.5 hrs to Langley BC to buy it. I live in Seattle. 

I don't need the skate I have new M4s. But the price, dang its hard to resist. 

Oh yeah, add 50 bucks gas.

I always thought online retailers in Canada could ship Bauer and ccm to the US now. But I'm obviously wrong.

You sure these fit? The ultrasonics has a pretty narrow forefoot and toecap. They made the fit 1 and 2 2mm wider.  I fit a fit 2 in the ultrasonics and the fit 1 crushed my feet. But I fit a fit 1 mach perfectly.  Fit 3 stayed the same. 

Edited by Sniper9

It did not work out. I just didn't like the fit of the fit 2 Ultrasonics vs my fit 2 M4.  Not as comfortable and I also tried some Vapors the current year and prior. Just going to stick with the M4 and Ribcore Titanium skates. Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by acura9927

Went back to USA and to my local shop and tried on the Matrix. Felt better than the Ultrasonics and the Machs. So the shop matched Canada's price and did the USD/CAD conversion for me. The Matrix same size, fit 2 is wider in forefoot and toecap than Ultrasonics. The Mach just did not feel good to me at all. 

I am very happy with how the whole day ended. 

Edited by acura9927

4 hours ago, acura9927 said:

Went back to USA and to my local shop and tried on the Matrix. Felt better than the Ultrasonics and the Machs. So the shop matched Canada's price and did the USD/CAD conversion for me. The Matrix same size, fit 2 is wider in forefoot and toecap than Ultrasonics. The Mach just did not feel good to me at all. 

I am very happy with how the whole day ended. 

Sounds about right about how they are roomier in the toecap and forefoot.  I did mentioned this above but I stated the Mach not matrix. But the matrix is essentially a softer boot version of the Mach and is an SMU skate.  It's interesting you found the matrix more comfortable than the machs. I'm guessing it's probably the stiffness as it's a very comfy skate to me and others but I like a stiff skate. Machs are the most comfy retail skate I've worn. 

My 2010s have been in a Matrix for just over a year now...  they've said this is their favorite skate ever.  They had the 2S Pro before, but it seems the Fit1 in 5.5 (intermediate) has been perfect for them.  We threw in some Curex soles because their arch is VERY high.  

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Sounds about right about how they are roomier in the toecap and forefoot.  I did mentioned this above but I stated the Mach not matrix. But the matrix is essentially a softer boot version of the Mach and is an SMU skate.  It's interesting you found the matrix more comfortable than the machs. I'm guessing it's probably the stiffness as it's a very comfy skate to me and others but I like a stiff skate. Machs are the most comfy retail skate I've worn. 

I can push the sides of the Matrix easier than the M4. Very soft boot at this price point. 

• Like 1