Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
xstartxtodayx

Small crack on Shinguard.. big deal or not?

Just picked up a new pair of 19k's because I definitely didn't need them (since I have 2 other pairs of shinguard's and also prob won't hit the ice 'til at least next year the way this pandemic is going) but couldn't pass them up anyways 🤦‍♂️

I opened them up and found a small crack at the top of the shin portion right at the little hole... how big of a deal is this?  My first thought was it's not a big deal right now but will eventually spread so it will be a big deal.  I know they don't have any more in stock so my options are return them, use as-is, or reinforce somehow? 

Anyone have any insight?

Anyways, here's the crack:

50180734026_d392b625f6_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

Since you don't really need them anytime soon, why not just exchange them? And if you bought them (new) on clearance or something and have your receipt, that's exactly the kind of thing that's covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If you're stuck with them for some reason, drill another hole just like that one slightly below the end of the crack to stop it from spreading farther down.

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YesLanges said:

Since you don't really need them anytime soon, why not just exchange them? And if you bought them (new) on clearance or something and have your receipt, that's exactly the kind of thing that's covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If you're stuck with them for some reason, drill another hole just like that one slightly below the end of the crack to stop it from spreading farther down.

They're brand new but pro stock so no manufacturer's warranty, also the place I got them (PSH) only had 2 in stock at the time and now none in stock (their shinguard inventory comes and goes quickly in small numbers).  Of course I feel like I like these better than my others (8K pros and Jofa 5090's, basically both the same pad) because they're lighter and slightly less bulky.  I sent PSH an email seeing what my options are, maybe they have another pair they didn't list on their site or maybe they'll be getting more in soon, wishful thinking lol.

In the US, all new retail products purchased by consumers come with an implied manufacturer's warranty, even though the retailer might exclude certain items from the store's warranty policy. (Whether or not it applies here, technically, depends on whether that crack renders them "unfit" for their purpose, but don't get bogged down in that legal detail and ignore that for right now.) 

I don't believe that CCM mentions anything about "pro stock" in its 90-day warranty for defects. They only seem to exclude gear purchased as part of team sales to professional and college teams. I don't know if it's the case that, by definition, anything marked pro stock had to have been ordered as part of a team sale, originally; but even if that's the case, I'd still contact them at warrantyccm@ccmhockey.com and just tell them you found a crack in a brand new pair of shin guards and attach a scanned photo of the receipt and see what they say. If they tell you to contact the retailer, let them know that the retailer said that you need to contact CCM. Tell them that you've been using CCM equipment exclusively for your entire hockey career without any issues, and that you'd appreciate it if they would just do the right thing for a loyal retail customer who bought one of their products that clearly has a manufacturing defect. Don't be surprised if they offer a resolution to avoid alienating a loyal retail customer, regardless of any policy about pro stock warranties. Nothing to lose but the time it takes to send an email.

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YesLanges said:

I don't believe that CCM mentions anything about "pro stock" in its 90-day warranty for defects. They only seem to exclude gear purchased as part of team sales to professional and college teams.

You just defined “pro stock”

initially those pads were part of a sale to a professional team. Regardless, there’s almost assuredly a restriction for third party sales, including eBay, SLS, and a site like PSH

• Like 1

CCM's not going to do anything for you on anything pro stock. PSH would probably offer a refund since they don't have any more stock to exchange.

It'd bug me too, but that crack isn't compromising protection and probably won't grow that quickly.

• Like 1

Like someone said, drill another home right beneath the end of the crack so it can't spread. I'd just contact psh and try to get a partial refund and use them, but if you play with guys who can shoot and it itches your peace of mind, then just return them. To me the peace of mind is there biggest plus of good pads.

• Like 1

About 2 years ago I bought the same model shins also from PSH. Ended up returning them . I've since seen a few pairs with the same issue, or going vericily from the hole yours is cracking from.  Seems to be a fairly common issue. Sticking with my 30+ year old 5090's, just replaced the liners.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

About 2 years ago I bought the same model shins also from PSH. Ended up returning them . I've since seen a few pairs with the same issue, or going vericily from the hole yours is cracking from.  Seems to be a fairly common issue. Sticking with my 30+ year old 5090's, just replaced the liners.   

Possibly why PSH got their hands on them in the first place I'm guessing.  I too have, and love, a pair of 5090's but have been curious about these for a while and wanted to try something a little lighter (and I'm not going to lie, I'm the type that can never be fully happy with gear, I always want to try other stuff haha).