Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jordan_Rex

STEP BLACKSTEEL for Bauer LS EDGE (where can I get it?)

I like a lot of you know that STEP no longer makes Blades for the LS EDGE holder, but I have been seeing them pop up hear and there. mostly on Ebay ( with crazy mark ups).

I just can't see myself wearing CCM skates but I Miss having STEP on my Bauers

Dose anyone have any advice for Buying Hockey gear on Ebay?

I found this add on Ebay and they have the best price I have seen since STEP stopped producing the blades. (and it's in canadain dollars so it is under the regular retail for the US)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/STEP-STEEL-BLACKSTEEL-STEDGE-272-multiple-sizes-available/383654131552?hash=item5953917760:g:aicAAOSwktNfIM5Q

What are your thoughts?

should I pull the trigger ( no pun intended) or would it be best to try and source a pair at a hockey shop?

Thanks,

Jordan

33 minutes ago, Jordan_Rex said:

I like a lot of you know that STEP no longer makes Blades for the LS EDGE holder, but I have been seeing them pop up hear and there. mostly on Ebay ( with crazy mark ups).

I found this add on Ebay and they have the best price I have seen since STEP stopped producing the blades. (and it's in canadain dollars so it is under the regular retail for the US)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/STEP-STEEL-BLACKSTEEL-STEDGE-272-multiple-sizes-available/383654131552?hash=item5953917760:g:aicAAOSwktNfIM5Q

What are your thoughts?

should I pull the trigger ( no pun intended) or would it be best to try and source a pair at a hockey shop?

Thanks,

Jordan

Should be fine to buy from that seller. However I still think Flare is way better than STEP. Even Connor Bedard is using Flare now:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDt52FnA1Ar/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Not a fan of the fact the seller has zero feedback, but eBay typically sides with the buyer if the seller doesn’t get you the item as described. 

I'm glad I was able to stock up on 3 sets of Black steel which should last me a lifetime  

8 minutes ago, Westside said:

Not a fan of the fact the seller has zero feedback, but eBay typically sides with the buyer if the seller doesn’t get you the item as described. 

I'm glad I was able to stock up on 3 sets of Black steel which should last me a lifetime  

yeah thats what i though, but they are based in Canada so surly it should be ok. Or i could wait until they sell a few then view their Feedback, but there is a risk I might miss out. I have never bought from Ebay so i am on the fence.

I've had pretty good experience with eBay. They have a satisfaction guarantee and will refund you if you don't get it or if it isn't what it's supposed to be. They can penalize the seller too. I once had a jackass landlord who stole a package I got from eBay and eBay refunded me the money entirely. I told them it arrived but was stolen before I got there. (I ended up going into the landlords apt a while later when he wasn't home and taking that package back, along with a few of my wife's paychecks that were sitting there... I called eBay and told them the package showed up and they said they'd get back to me and never did...) Point is that you're pretty well protected on eBay. 

If you'd like to get a better deal, try sideline swap, since you can make offers and try to get a better price, or if a seller has multiple sets you can make an offer for multiple at a lower rate. SLS is also pretty good about covering the buyer if anything isn't right

Ebays obviously been around a while so you shouldn’t have any worries. I’ve been a registered user with them since 2000 and can’t even think how many things I’ve bought/sold on the site. In 20 years maybe 3 problems and all were easily resolved 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jordan_Rex said:

yeah thats what i though, but they are based in Canada so surly it should be ok. Or i could wait until they sell a few then view their Feedback, but there is a risk I might miss out. I have never bought from Ebay so i am on the fence.

Not that i'm a fan of ebay but one thing they do do well is that they are there to look after you if anything goes wrong. If the seller does not ship the item, you don't get it (for whatever reason) or what you get is not what you brought - you open a dispute case and 99.9% of the time eBay will find in your favour and return your payment. The onus is on the seller to fix things, if they don't then eBay steps in and covers you. In some ways it's a hell of a lot easier dealing with a seller on eBay than a surly manager in a bricks and mortar place.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jordan_Rex said:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Jordan

Just switch to XS holders.  Problem solved. 

All the black you want then. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Just switch to XS holders.  Problem solved. 

All the black you want then. 

Or buy some LS5... 😉

38 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Impressed with Bauer's Pulse TI.  I would just wait for that to launch...

It would be interesting to see the how the TI coating holds up against the DLC, I'm looking forward to seeing them reviewed together. For now though im going to stick whith what I know, but thanks for the info.

thanks for all of your help, I am going to pull the trigger on this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/STEP-STEEL-BLACKSTEEL-STEDGE-SIZE-280/383671802195?hash=item59549f1953:g:aicAAOSwktNfIM5Q

after searching for 2 months this is the best price I could find.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Impressed with Bauer's Pulse TI.  I would just wait for that to launch...

You are? I haven't found it to be as good as STEP or a few other brands but its obviously the nicest steel that you can get on a retail skate currently.

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You are? I haven't found it to be as good as STEP or a few other brands but its obviously the nicest steel that you can get on a retail skate currently.

You think so?? I think the LS5 sharpens better. Looks nicer but not a fan. 

On 8/11/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jordan_Rex said:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Jordan

I'm hearing that the new Bauer Pulse Ti steel is as good as Step Steel . ?? Anyone ?

5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You think so?? I think the LS5 sharpens better. Looks nicer but not a fan. 

Meh, they both sharpen about the same to me. The LS5 has a softer steel so it has a nicer finish but they are overall decent, much better than LS2/3/4 and CCM retail steel.

CCM just needs to put STEP on all skates from the factory. I am sure that will happen in the next year or so. 

On 8/12/2020 at 11:40 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

CCM just needs to put STEP on all skates from the factory. I am sure that will happen in the next year or so. 

Doesn't make sense to do that - especially on junior skates. It would be like putting z-rated tires on a base/mid-level car.

17 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Doesn't make sense to do that - especially on junior skates. It would be like putting z-rated tires on a base/mid-level car.

How would that work from a logistical standpoint too. If Step is still made in Canada... ship the steel overseas and then ship everything back?

2 hours ago, Hills said:

How would that work from a logistical standpoint too. If Step is still made in Canada... ship the steel overseas and then ship everything back?

Move manufacturing for STEP overseas. 

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It would cost them less to mass produce one product and fewer options (stainless and PVD/DLC) as opposed to multiple products and multiple options.

Streamlining manufacturing and offering a better product, compared to competitors  would allow them to lower manufacturing costs while providing a better product to consumers. 

It's also a huge selling point regardless of the model of skate and age category. 

The majority of consumers buying skates have never heard of Step and aren't concerned with what steel comes on a particular skate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It would cost them less to mass produce one product and fewer options (stainless and PVD/DLC) as opposed to multiple products and multiple options.

Streamlining manufacturing and offering a better product, compared to competitors  would allow them to lower manufacturing costs while providing a better product to consumers. 

It's also a huge selling point regardless of the model of skate and age category. 

They're better off having Step available at a reasonable upcharge at the point of sale. You get most of the sales without the added cost and BS. 

But more importantly, that premium brand stays premium. No one is questioning whether or not CCM is making crap steel and marking it "STEP" cuz they can.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 7:27 AM, Jordan_Rex said:

It would be interesting to see the how the TI coating holds up against the DLC, I'm looking forward to seeing them reviewed together. For now though im going to stick whith what I know, but thanks for the info.

thanks for all of your help, I am going to pull the trigger on this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/STEP-STEEL-BLACKSTEEL-STEDGE-SIZE-280/383671802195?hash=item59549f1953:g:aicAAOSwktNfIM5Q

after searching for 2 months this is the best price I could find.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

I ordered some as well.  Hopefully all good.  Well see next week or so.