Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stick9

CCM pro-stock gloves

I've been eyeing some HG41CLCH gloves. I haven't used a CCM mitt since before Nike owned Bauer so I'm hesitant on buying.

Curious about the fit, protection and durability? How does this model compare to say a Vapor 1X Pro or Warrior Covert?

The protection on CCM pro stock in general is far better than anything else imo. I've never had hg41cl, but HG12/14 and ql have been phenomenal with protection and feel. I ended up selling them primarily because I prefer leather palms and didn't really want to spend a pile of money repalming basically new gloves. Would have more than double the cost of the gloves for me. But they were excellent gloves. The build quality is exceptional and I honestly have no complaints at all, just that they didn't suit my personal preference. 

Never had that model but I’ve had the 4 roll CCM pro stock (97/98) and the protection is phenomenal. XP is extra protection and it’s even more beefy. I own an oilers HG97PP which means backhand protection so it has a shot blocker and a HG98 which is ECHL stock with the Kevlar palm path for wear. Even without th XP these have D30 I believe and are extremely protective. Taken shots and nasty slashes and didn’t even feel it. 

I was in retail tacks and broke fingers as the D30 and padding is so thin it does nothing. Bauer from what I’ve heard their pro stock and retail is fairly similar in protection where CCM is night and day better and CHEAPER pro stock. Warrior I only own a pair of pro stock warrior franchise so I can’t comment on the retail side. Wore a Retail QRL in one game and they didn’t get tested. Wasnt a fan of the cuff

5 minutes ago, Tucker16 said:

Never had that model but I’ve had the 4 roll CCM pro stock (97/98) and the protection is phenomenal. XP is extra protection and it’s even more beefy. I own an oilers HG97PP which means backhand protection so it has a shot blocker and a HG98 which is ECHL stock with the Kevlar palm path for wear. Even without th XP these have D30 I believe and are extremely protective. Taken shots and nasty slashes and didn’t even feel it. 

I was in retail tacks and broke fingers as the D30 and padding is so thin it does nothing. Bauer from what I’ve heard their pro stock and retail is fairly similar in protection where CCM is night and day better and CHEAPER pro stock. Warrior I only own a pair of pro stock warrior franchise so I can’t comment on the retail side. Wore a Retail QRL in one game and they didn’t get tested. Wasnt a fan of the cuff

I have the HG97 ECHL and a HG98, both without the shot blockers and they are some of the most protective, tighter fitting 4 rolls. It's nothing like the retail models and the pro stocks one all have D3O instead of the D30 lite they use at retail. They are a bit heavier than the retail models but far more protective. I'd say they are more protective than the pro stock Bauer and Warrior gloves.

I also have the FT1 in pro stock with the shot blockers and have the same comments as above. i compared them to the retail FT1's and it's night and day different in terms of protection.

As far as sizing goes, I'm not totally sure but anything new that's been made after the HG96 series is the same length as retail from my experience. The 0.5 in long fit might have been true with the older pro stock gloves I tried on but aren't sure as I've only tried them on in passing but remember them fitting a bit looser than the retail equivalent at the time.

The model stick9 is asking about is equivalent to the retail U+ CL model gloves and those did fit large. In particular, the finger lengths were really long. Those in pro stock, I've seen tons of variants but always fit extremely large...those in 14's felt like 15's in many gloves and hence, I never picked one of those up. 

• Like 1

Hockeyreviews.ca said that the pro sticks were .5 bigger and also said the new 4rbpro2 were .5 bigger too. I can tell you the letter is wrong. The 4r pro2 are the same as other retail sizing, if not even a touch shorter. I know it doesn't answer your question about actual pro stocks but just throwing that in there 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Hockeyreviews.ca said that the pro sticks were .5 bigger and also said the new 4rbpro2 were .5 bigger too. I can tell you the letter is wrong. The 4r pro2 are the same as other retail sizing, if not even a touch shorter. I know it doesn't answer your question about actual pro stocks but just throwing that in there 

You can physically see the longer finger blocks in the 4 Roll 2s...

1 hour ago, Hills said:

You can physically see the longer finger blocks in the 4 Roll 2s...

If you say so, but I purchased the 13 and they are unwearable. 14 to me fit more like a 13.5" tbh. 

I've had retail 4R Pro's (not the "2") and they def ran smaller, my 14" was closer to a 13.5 (fit similar to a pro stock CL I had in 13" as far as height, CL had narrower tighter fingers though).  I have a couple of pairs of HG12's and they fit as advertised, but with their floating cuff it feels different (better imo) than other gloves.  HG97's tend to be true to size, I've had a pair of those, and as I said earlier the pro stock CL's (aka HG50, the HG41 is the same glove I believe but with different materials) ran maybe a touch larger than advertised as far as I could tell... I used a 13" pair for a season and they were always a touch too tight in the fingers/knuckles and a touch shorter than I preferred but the 14" (my normal glove size) felt way too large and loose around the top (I'm pretty sure it's a "tapered" fit which might be the reason for that).  I would def read through the thread on sports2k, there's a lot of good info in there.

• Like 1

So I am looking at the Hurricane pro stocks HG97 on PSH. So the only diffrence between the HG97 and HG97PP model is the backhand pad and overall beefer padding in general? Both of the models are listed on the site.

17 minutes ago, PH_Hockey2 said:

So I am looking at the Hurricane pro stocks HG97 on PSH. So the only diffrence between the HG97 and HG97PP model is the backhand pad and overall beefer padding in general? Both of the models are listed on the site.

PP Should only be the shot blocker padding. Not beefier anywhere else.

39 minutes ago, Hills said:

PP Should only be the shot blocker padding. Not beefier anywhere else.

Huh. Both product pics show the shot blocker attached. I'll have to shoot an email.

5 hours ago, PH_Hockey2 said:

Huh. Both product pics show the shot blocker attached. I'll have to shoot an email.

I’m assuming the one was added by a equipment manager then? It didn’t come from CCM that way? I may be completely wrong. 

Would you guys say a decent pair of used Pro-Stock gloves from SLS would be better than a new retail pair? I've been examining palms closely, trying to find the least haggard ones.

My Bauer Nexus are 7 years old, well beyond time to replace. And I want to go with something more snug, which CCM should I be looking at? (either a Vapor or Supreme type of fit is fine)

Edited by beedee

15 hours ago, beedee said:

Would you guys say a decent pair of used Pro-Stock gloves from SLS would be better than a new retail pair? I've been examining palms closely, trying to find the least haggard ones.

My Bauer Nexus are 7 years old, well beyond time to replace. And I want to go with something more snug, which CCM should I be looking at? (either a Vapor or Supreme type of fit is fine)

Pro stock is always the better option. For CCM snug, look for the Jetspeed (not called FT1 at pro stock), HGQL. HG55 and the family (HG41) have been both super tight and super loose so I have no idea what to suggest for those.

I would stay away from anything Tacks, both pairs I have in a size down from what I wear CCM retail fall off my hand basically instantly unless I pad the backhand to keep them on.

CCM's also fit half a size bigger than their retail counterparts. So 14" pro stock according to CCM is 14.5" in reality. I have found this to be pretty true with 95% of the CCM pro stocks I have.

Honestly if you are willing to look at Supreme I'd recommend those at it is a way easier transition from retail to pro stock with a more consistent fit.

• Thanks 2

On 10/14/2021 at 5:28 PM, beedee said:

I have ccm prostock HG41. These are anatomic fit, I guess? They aren't loose like 4-roll gloves. As for flexibility, the polar opposite of Vapors. I had Vapor X100s before which were very flexible, soft, and almost unprotective feel about them. The thumb could be flexed back with your hand in the glove. Broken-in feel when they are brand new. The HG41 are stiff and have this dual layer palm where the top layer is this dark gray, textured material. You need to break them in before they feel soft. Protection-wise, the back of my hands, wrists and fingers feel more protected. The thumb could not be flexed back. They are also a bit heavier than Vapors.

• Thanks 1

Would you guys go with something with a shot-blocker or without? I reckon it’s all personal preference, but can one really have too much protection? 

If flex thumb matters to you, I’ve had trouble finding CCMs with flex thumbs. Seems like more of them are rigid. Some people don’t care, or are happy to cut the thumb loops, but the non-flexing thumb is a deal breaker for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 7:25 PM, beedee said:

Would you guys go with something with a shot-blocker or without? I reckon it’s all personal preference, but can one really have too much protection? 

Honestly, how much the shot-blocker affects the glove movement is different for each model. I had 0 issues on my SuperTacks but my HG55 were RIGID.

• Thanks 1

Looking at a set of used pro stock ft1’s. I know it’s suggested that ccm fits .5 bigger but is that true with the ft1/ql line? Trying to see if anybody with a set can chime in. 

currently in true a6.0 13’s and had 14” franchises

Edited by crispy92