Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Furyan

new gloves advice

Hey guys!

I need some advice with choosing a brand new pair of gloves. there are some key points:

1. i sweat alot. ALOT, especially my hands. my gloves become to really wet after 10-15min of ice time, which caused really quick palm wearing, and i got a hole on a upper glove roughly after 2-3months of using almost every pair of gloves I had

2. i really need a snug fit of gloves because i had some finger injuries. plus, my hands are really narrow and skinny, size is 13".

3. I've tried gloves with a special palms inserts, like ccm tacks 9080 with kevlar reinforcements, but i felt lack ot grip and stop using them. so the hard grip is important too

so, according everything i've spotlight above, i'm trying to choose something which gives me a nice snug fit, realy hard grip and will be durable enough to not buy a new pair once per 2-3months

there are some of i'm considering to buy:

ccm 9060. i had a tacks as1 and 9080, but on as1 a palm of the upper glove was completely destroyed after 2 months, and 9080 had a really bad grip for me

bauer (2s pro, 2s, s29) - but i have no ideas what kind of palm a mounted on them because models are fresh..

pls, help me to choose something -) maybe there are other options exist, except ccm and bauer?

all recomendations are welcome

thanks in advance!

Edited by Furyan

Hi! GO PRO STOCK! I can or recommend the CCM pro stock gloves enough in terms of protection. I had retail tacks and they were awful in comparison to the pro stocks. 

for a tighter fit look at the HGTK and for extra protection check out the HGTKXP or the ones with the built in shot blockers on the back. 

for bauer definitely look at the supreme line. I’ve heard retail and pro are fairly similar but they have a very tight fit. Poron I believe is in the 1S for sure and it’s very protective 

Edited by Tucker16

4 minutes ago, Hills said:

HGTK are absolutely not a tighter fitting glove...

Do you use tape or a tape alternative?

I use both

alternative helps, (tape could "eat" the palm in 5-10 ice times) but not so noticeble as i want to..

A few suggestions/recommendations:

First, before any game, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. I do this because it helps dry out your hands, removes any oils, and helps keep your gloves smelling fresher, longer.

Second, take your gloves off in between shifts while on the bench. I'll usually take one glove off one shift, then the other hand the next. It's only a few minutes, but it really helps your hand breath/cool off and let a bit of air in your gloves.

Third, try Tacki Mac or another tape alternative. I switched exclusively to Tacki Mac and tennis overgrips on every one of my sticks now and the amount of wear on my palms after a full season is what I'd normally see after a single game using traditional tape. 

If you STILL have problems, I guess you could always bring a second pair of gloves to the bench and alternate which ones you wear each period? Like already recommended, try pro stock with an overlay on the palms of nash/micronash which will be more durable than some other palm materials. If you like a tight fitting glove, I'd recommend the QRL, but they also run a bit warm so that might not work for you

Edited by Westside
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of eagle gloves. They aren't known for being tight fit, but the talon 200 and Aero pro are more snug than your average 4 roll. Protection is not like the super fancy, high tech stuff, but they are made well and the padding is great imo. Otherwise, as recommended, CCM pro stock is amazing and very cheap. Hg12 for a more snug fit if you're ok with a flex cuff.

I also sweat something awful, but I wear deerskin palms and I use leather for my stick grip, so I tend to have minimal issues with durability. 

Edited by Miller55

Howdy,

I like tight gloves.

Been really happy with the Warrior Covert QRL and QRL Pro.  QRE and QRE Pro are nearly as good, but they seem to have slight shorter fingers, which isn't as good for me, but still work (and might be better vs. worse for you).

Tacki-Mac grips were the best thing I ever did to help glove wear.  I no longer use them because I use a huge knob now to try and help my wrist, but I really liked the (lack of) glove wear with them.

Mark

STX Surgeon pro stock gloves are tight in the fingers and backhand, but open up in the cuff. They're also protective. There are new ones on SLS now for around $120 US or less. 

I am a fan of tight gloves and my previous gloves include Warrior Projekts, Easton HSX, Nike Bauer One90s and Miken Razor Z9. The Surgeons are by far my favourites.

For wear issues, I second the Tacki Mac recommendation. I like the pro ribbed aka Kane grip.

30 minutes ago, Furyan said:

I use both

alternative helps, (tape could "eat" the palm in 5-10 ice times) but not so noticeble as i want to..

Can you post pictures of your eaten palms? I don't think I have seen palms destroyed after 5-10 skates. Are the palms crusty or have holes in them?

8 hours ago, Hills said:

Can you post pictures of your eaten palms? I don't think I have seen palms destroyed after 5-10 skates. Are the palms crusty or have holes in them?

Well, here i go!

as you can see, the palm is really fresh (2 months of using)

and i use only stretchy grip tape with this pair, this one:

https://howieshockeytape.com/collections/stretch-grip/products/white-stretchy-hockey-grip-tape

dont pay attention to glue and paper signs - i've just tried to make some leather inserts and of course failed -))

Отображается файл "IMG_1794.JPG"

8 hours ago, althoma1 said:

STX Surgeon pro stock gloves are tight in the fingers and backhand, but open up in the cuff. They're also protective. There are new ones on SLS now for around $120 US or less. 

I am a fan of tight gloves and my previous gloves include Warrior Projekts, Easton HSX, Nike Bauer One90s and Miken Razor Z9. The Surgeons are by far my favourites.

For wear issues, I second the Tacki Mac recommendation. I like the pro ribbed aka Kane grip.

yepp, i tried tacki-mac and found they are not working with me (kane grip as well)

when my palms getting wet, i loose a grip almost completely

18 hours ago, Furyan said:

Hey guys!

I need some advice with choosing a brand new pair of gloves. there are some key points:

1. i sweat alot. ALOT, especially my hands. my gloves become to really wet after 10-15min of ice time, which caused really quick palm wearing, and i got a hole on a upper glove roughly after 2-3months of using almost every pair of gloves I had

2. i really need a snug fit of gloves because i had some finger injuries. plus, my hands are really narrow and skinny, size is 13".

3. I've tried gloves with a special palms inserts, like ccm tacks 9080 with kevlar reinforcements, but i felt lack ot grip and stop using them. so the hard grip is important too

so, according everything i've spotlight above, i'm trying to choose something which gives me a nice snug fit, realy hard grip and will be durable enough to not buy a new pair once per 2-3months

there are some of i'm considering to buy:

ccm 9060. i had a tacks as1 and 9080, but on as1 a palm of the upper glove was completely destroyed after 2 months, and 9080 had a really bad grip for me

bauer (2s pro, 2s, s29) - but i have no ideas what kind of palm a mounted on them because models are fresh..

pls, help me to choose something -) maybe there are other options exist, except ccm and bauer?

all recomendations are welcome

thanks in advance!

Get your current gloves repalmed and have them make the adjustments you need for them to fit your specification. There are so materials you can use for palms that will provide good wear, grip, and resist absorbing sweat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Furyan said:

Well, here i go!

as you can see, the palm is really fresh (2 months of using)

and i use only stretchy grip tape with this pair, this one:

https://howieshockeytape.com/collections/stretch-grip/products/white-stretchy-hockey-grip-tape

dont pay attention to glue and paper signs - i've just tried to make some leather inserts and of course failed -))

Отображается файл "IMG_1794.JPG"

Can't view that image, can you post it on Imgur or something?

You need to contact someone who does expert glove repairs and get some combo of palm and overlay that will work for you. Tell them your issue and they will help you resolve it. Either Pat and Ken at CPR, Peaches Brennan, or Joe Esposito. Get a glove that fits you perfectly and is the amount of protection that you want and invest in the palms so they will work for you. Obviously retail stock palms are not working. Don't keep throwing good money at this issue.

54 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Get your current gloves repalmed and have them make the adjustments you need for them to fit your specification. There are so materials you can use for palms that will provide good wear, grip, and resist absorbing sweat. 

i'm on a same page with you actually

can you tell, where i can read something regarding current materials etc?

cuz i have no idea which material will work with me well

generally i know that "nice" to have a nash or micronash palms, but what is about the rest ones? maybe it is better to use something else, like thick, durable, water-resistance with grip enough for me

thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Furyan said:

generally i know that "nice" to have a nash or micronash palms, but what is about the rest ones? maybe it is better to use something else, like thick, durable, water-resistance with grip enough for me

thanks in advance

I had mine done last time by this guy, he has a ton of pics on Instagram showing his work. Tons of materials available. 

https://hockeymenders.com/hockey-glove-repalming

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I had mine done last time by this guy, he has a ton of pics on Instagram showing his work. Tons of materials available. 

https://hockeymenders.com/hockey-glove-repalming

Yes, this is Joe Esposito that I mentioned above. Phenomenal. Here's the only guy I send to personally. CPR and Peaches are great, but take much longer and they don't carry as many options. 

1 hour ago, Furyan said:

thanks in advance

I would suggest you reach out to the above and ask them. My guess would be deerskin palms with some sorry if tacky digital overlay, but he would know better. 

Simple. Just toss them to the trainer standing by the dressing room to dry them out for you while the ice is being cut after warmups and in between periods...oh, and just tell the equipment manager that you need a new pair every week, too. 

I've found that wrist sweat bands make a big difference because a lot of that sweat isn't directly from your hands...it's sweat rolling down your arm. You could also try spraying or rolling on antiperspirant onto your palms if you think it's actually hand sweat. 

1 hour ago, YesLanges said:

Simple. Just toss them to the trainer standing by the dressing room to dry them out for you while the ice is being cut after warmups and in between periods...oh, and just tell the equipment manager that you need a new pair every week, too. 

I've found that wrist sweat bands make a big difference because a lot of that sweat isn't directly from your hands...it's sweat rolling down your arm. You could also try spraying or rolling on antiperspirant onto your palms if you think it's actually hand sweat. 

Trainer? Warmups? Equipment Manager? That whole paragraph almost sounded serious lol.

Agree with the second period, I noticed my gloves becoming noticeably less wet after I started wearing wrist bands.