Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Glove materials for DIY repair

Been a while.

I'm looking for info on what type of materials would be best suited for a glove DIY repair, not for palms and gussets. My Easton 800 pros are pretty beat up but they are absolute butter and I can't get rid of them if I can help it. To that end, I know about the different types of foams, outer shell, etc. What I'd like to know is the exact type (if possible) would be ideal for this. Now, I have no disillusions that this won't be perfect and I figure this is something that Pat at CPR could do but I'd like to give it a shot and learn something new.

I've got 3 missing PE inserts in the backroll, a couple decent sized tears on the top of the backroll and in a few finger segments, and finally I've got one backroll piece that no longer has foam in it. Now, my assumption is that the shell is Polyester or Nylon and I have no idea what the inner padding could be - VN, EPP, dual density, etc. If anyone has some insight into what would be the way to go for my purposes such as what exactly to get and where to get it, that'd be appreciated. 

Cheers.

48 minutes ago, Westside said:

Not sure your size or color, but if you didn’t want to buy new gloves, why not buy a donor pair and take the parts you need from them?

I mean these are only $10

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/gloves/2088096-easton-black-senior-used-synergy-800-gloves-12

That's not the right glove, but I understand where you're coming from. I have some other gloves I can use that are newer, so this is just a project for me.

I'd rather learn more about this and how to do it myself.

6 hours ago, Giltis said:

D3O sells in sheets, that could be interesting, as well as you can get some nice foam (dual density) from https://www.resilientgoalie.com/foam and http://www.protectiveathleticwear.com/materials.htm

D30 would be interesting to try. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Protective Athletic Wear is where I'd be going for materials. 

That looks like a great place with what I'm looking for. Thank you. 

Maybe one day I'll be able to convert an entire glove by learning this. Doubtful though. 

On 8/12/2020 at 1:14 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Protective Athletic Wear is where I'd be going for materials. 

Do they sell materials for player gloves or only goalie equipment? I’d love to find some different colored dynamesh or tufftek to try to reskin a pair of gloves 

If you look on CPR Instagram or Twitter you can get a pretty good idea of how things work. Executing it professionally is a different thing, but I've looked through it before and I got a good idea from the pictures

On 8/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, Miller55 said:

Let us know when you do. I'm always on the lookout for some h34s, but if you could make em I'd buy

Eagle will still make something close to the H34 I think.

16 hours ago, Miller55 said:

If you look on CPR Instagram or Twitter you can get a pretty good idea of how things work. Executing it professionally is a different thing, but I've looked through it before and I got a good idea from the pictures

Between looking at what CPR does & an old episode of 'how its made', as long as you have one of those industrial sewing machines and know how to use it I'd say you can probably build your own glove to a certain extent or at least rebuild/modify an existing pair. 

3 hours ago, the_game said:

Do you know something or is this just an assumption? Because I contacted Eagle/Vaughan and they said they do not make leather gloves and do not even do goatskin palms anymore. They claimed they do not have access to the material anymore (Pittard's goat) which is complete BS. Ken at CPR told me that they still get it, but they reserve it only for palms. I contacted Pittard's myself (I work as a bookbinder and deal with a lot of leather accounts) and they said they still sell it, and the price hasn't gone up in a while even, so I'm not sure what they're on about at Eagle. Anyway, it's probably not cost effective for them to make leather gloves, and maybe one day they'll do a small run, but meanwhile, my L29 4rolls are pretty close to 3 rolls already. 

11 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Do you know something or is this just an assumption? Because I contacted Eagle/Vaughan and they said they do not make leather gloves and do not even do goatskin palms anymore. They claimed they do not have access to the material anymore (Pittard's goat) which is complete BS. Ken at CPR told me that they still get it, but they reserve it only for palms. I contacted Pittard's myself (I work as a bookbinder and deal with a lot of leather accounts) and they said they still sell it, and the price hasn't gone up in a while even, so I'm not sure what they're on about at Eagle. Anyway, it's probably not cost effective for them to make leather gloves, and maybe one day they'll do a small run, but meanwhile, my L29 4rolls are pretty close to 3 rolls already. 

I honestly think Eagle is getting out of the super custom glove game. When I ordered my pair they wouldn't go outside the colours on their customizer and swap out materials.

14 minutes ago, Hills said:

I honestly think Eagle is getting out of the super custom glove game. When I ordered my pair they wouldn't go outside the colours on their customizer and swap out materials.

Indeed. The way I look at it is that they're not really Eagle anymore. The only problem is that there is now nobody who will actually make super custom gloves. Maybe @Krev will step up

5 hours ago, the_game said:

Between looking at what CPR does & an old episode of 'how its made', as long as you have one of those industrial sewing machines and know how to use it I'd say you can probably build your own glove to a certain extent or at least rebuild/modify an existing pair. 

God that commercial is so 90s haha. Sewing machine and some sort of pressure gun to inject the protective layer inserts. Thumbs look like a nightmare. 

3 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Ha, it's been a while @Krev!

Life and a career of traveling just takes up so much mental space and time. 

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

Indeed. The way I look at it is that they're not really Eagle anymore. The only problem is that there is now nobody who will actually make super custom gloves. Maybe @Krev will step up

I'm just looking to do repairs myself, not build a glove. Maybe reskin a leather to nylon at some point but I highly doubt I'd be able to manage that. If I could, I would. It's no secret the GX9500 is my favorite glove to some of our longstanding members. I figure Pat could probably do that given his time at Warrior but that would be $$ and a large time commitment that isn't worth it, I would assume. 

Just now, Krev said:

I'm just looking to do repairs myself, not build a glove. Maybe reskin a leather to nylon at some point but I highly doubt I'd be able to manage that. If I could, I would. It's no secret the GX9500 is my favorite glove to some of our longstanding members. I figure Pat could probably do that given his time at Warrior but that would be $$ and a large time commitment that isn't worth it, I would assume. 

I was just kidding. I'm selling a pair of gx9500 now lol, great gloves. Pat could definitely do it. He told me it's too much work and they don't get enough of the goatskin to do full gloves, just palms. He said they won't even do gussets. Obviously his first priority is all the pros who send him work, so once that's done there's very little time for everything else

On 8/14/2020 at 8:07 AM, the_game said:

as long as you have one of those industrial sewing machines and know how to use it I'd say you can probably build your own glove to a certain extent

I really should start doing gear mods...

• Like 1

Hey @Krev from what I've heard there is no amount of money in this world to get Pat to work on a pair of Easton 9500. I've heard through the grapevine that the whole 'Modano'-made custom Warrior '9500' broke Pats will to ever look at those gloves again, ha!

For the Eagles, a buddy got some sort Leather'esque customs made not too long ago but it sounds like thats no longer an option. Apologies for the confusion and thats just sad to hear as Eagles for the longest time were a great custom option.

6 hours ago, the_game said:

Hey @Krev from what I've heard there is no amount of money in this world to get Pat to work on a pair of Easton 9500. I've heard through the grapevine that the whole 'Modano'-made custom Warrior '9500' broke Pats will to ever look at those gloves again, ha!

For the Eagles, a buddy got some sort Leather'esque customs made not too long ago but it sounds like thats no longer an option. Apologies for the confusion and thats just sad to hear as Eagles for the longest time were a great custom option.

Oh I know. I had that discussion with him years ago.

I meant the repairs I wanted to try tackling on my current gloves. That I know he could do but I wouldn't want to waste his time with something I think I can learn.

Edited by Krev