Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Miller55

Best boot for ankle injuries

I'm wondering what type of but is preferable for ankle injuries. I'm referring to both helping with past injuries and preventing future injuries.

I'm thinking that a monocoque boot or a more mobile/low cut/less stiff boot enables more mobility and flexibility, whereas a super stiff standard 2-piece boot would be more restrictive and supportive. 

Which one is preferable for supporting past injuries? Which is better for preventing future ankle injuries? 

Depends on the player and the injury. As someone who still has plates and screws in their ankle, I think it all comes down to fit. If you aren't in the right skate you're feet are going to bother you regardless. Having an I'll fitting skate just compounds the issue. I think the same can be said for injury prevention. 

Depends on the nature of the injury, skating style, etc.  For example, super stiff, higher cut boots are known to contribute to high ankle sprains, so if that's your issue, you don't want that style of skate.  On the other hand, if you have ligament issues that make your ankle prone to rolling, then the stiff, higher cut might be what you want.

Personally, past injury is a rolled ankle with some ligament and tendon damage and a broken cuboid bone on the top outside of the foot. Just wondering if there is a hard and fast rule. 

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Personally, past injury is a rolled ankle with some ligament and tendon damage and a broken cuboid bone on the top outside of the foot. Just wondering if there is a hard and fast rule. 

I find that most people who have issues with ankles and such, injuries, they usually prefer a skate like the 80k as it has more give/flex than other boots. 

• Like 2

Just now, SkateWorksPNW said:

I find that most people who have issues with ankles and such, injuries, they usually prefer a skate like the 80k as it has more give/flex than other boots. 

That's interesting. I have used very stiff top of the line skates for a long time. For some reason though, the 2S Pros have been killing me. The fit is fine, it's just the nature of the boot. I pinched out a few pressure spots. It just started out of nowhere. I have worn these skates for a few months already without issue and I wore 1Ss Andrew total one nxgs without issue. These were great and all of the sudden the pressure has become unbearable. It's only on the one for right where the injury was. I don't think I tweaked it. I put on an old pair of tours the other day, super soft and they felt much better around that spot. They were very low cut and obviously very broken in. I'm hoping to go try on the TF9s this weekend and see if they're better. Bizarre

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

That's interesting. I have used very stiff top of the line skates for a long time. For some reason though, the 2S Pros have been killing me. The fit is fine, it's just the nature of the boot. I pinched out a few pressure spots. It just started out of nowhere. I have worn these skates for a few months already without issue and I wore 1Ss Andrew total one nxgs without issue. These were great and all of the sudden the pressure has become unbearable. It's only on the one for right where the injury was. I don't think I tweaked it. I put on an old pair of tours the other day, super soft and they felt much better around that spot. They were very low cut and obviously very broken in. I'm hoping to go try on the TF9s this weekend and see if they're better. Bizarre

I had something similar, for years I was "fitted" in a D skate. I said screw it bought EE and never had problems again. I dont trust the fit system, i trust how it feels. 

13 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Graf 707 or G7  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Graf 707 or G7  

Those were the ones made to wear an ankle brace inside the boot? I don't wear a brace, nor do I feel I need one. Would they work ok without the brace (I don't have sorry thick ankles, fairly narrow actually).

My shop did say they have a pair on my size, so maybe I'll go try them on when I have some time to get out there. Thanks for the suggestion.

54 minutes ago, justinpryor said:

I had something similar, for years I was "fitted" in a D skate. I said screw it bought EE and never had problems again. I dont trust the fit system, i trust how it feels. 

How would this affect the ankle area? I thought the difference between D and EE is in the forefoot only

18 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

How would this affect the ankle area? I thought the difference between D and EE is in the forefoot only

No, EE is wider all around so heel and ankle will be bigger.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stick9 said:

No, EE is wider all around so heel and ankle will be bigger.

Aha. I'll have to try some on, but I don't think that will work. I think that the Supreme ankles might even be too loose and I'm just tying them too tight. Who knows. Planning to go Sunday and try on some TF7s and 9s and my brother's roommate told me he has a pair of mako 2 size 9R that he basically never used. I haven't used that style boot ever, but I'm willing to make the jump at this point. I've got too much other stuff to deal with for my ankle to hurt from playing hockey. I was always a stickler for stiffer and higher boots, but it doesn't seem worth it anymore. 

46 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Those were the ones made to wear an ankle brace inside the boot? I don't wear a brace, nor do I feel I need one. Would they work ok without the brace (I don't have sorry thick ankles, fairly narrow actually).

My shop did say they have a pair on my size, so maybe I'll go try them on when I have some time to get out there. Thanks for the suggestion.

They were made for players with ankle injuries to continue playing. Due to the unique ankle padding set up they could accommodate things like a brace or hardware, but certainly not needed to wear them. Worth trying on if your shop has them.  

13 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

They were made for players with ankle injuries to continue playing. Due to the unique ankle padding set up they could accommodate things like a brace or hardware, but certainly not needed to wear them. Worth trying on if your shop has them.  

I'll definitely give it a go. Dilemma for me is that I'd like to try the Grafs and the Trues in one shot, but they're in two different shops. Might be worth the extra drive. Maybe I'll take one of my kids and my wife won't mind me being out a while Sunday trying on skates... Ha

Are they very wide? 707 were a wide cut. What about 755 Pros. Do you know anything about them?

Edited by Miller55

Sorry, basically what I was saying is go with fit over some false idea of function or what people recommend. I was recommended D and suffered for years. One day I was like screw it widen the boot and all my foot and ankle pain went away. Ins terms of preventing ankle injuries, this also helped as I have plate and screws in my ankle, and i could now fit a small gel pad there with no tightness issues. 

Just find what fits well and supports you the most. 

18 minutes ago, justinpryor said:

Sorry, basically what I was saying is go with fit over some false idea of function or what people recommend. I was recommended D and suffered for years. One day I was like screw it widen the boot and all my foot and ankle pain went away. Ins terms of preventing ankle injuries, this also helped as I have plate and screws in my ankle, and i could now fit a small gel pad there with no tightness issues. 

Just find what fits well and supports you the most. 

Interesting. Yeah, the Supremes were a great fit. All of the sudden it started killing my ankle. I thought maybe I was tying them too tight, so I loosened up. Nothing. Swapped the super stiff tongue out for a different one, still hurts. Maybe they're too stiff? But I don't feel like my mobility is limited and I weigh 200 lbs, these aren't my first skates. Idk, but I'm willing to try anything. I'm definitely not jumping at any false ideas of function, I play adult leagues and pickup and am all about comfort. Hell, I wear slippers to work more often than I'd like to admit lol. These were great and the past few skates have been hell. No bruising, blistering or weird bumps. Skated unlaced and I still felt it. Punched out the painful area etc. 

I'm just wondering if there is an inherent benefit to a lower cut skate or a monocoque, very form fitting boot regarding ankle comfort. And I guess in also wondering if the comfort is better, does it come at the expense of something else (besides stiffness). Sorry I wasn't so clear in my initial post

I scheduled a Graf fitting at some shop in the island, and found another random shop that has True retails in stock, so I'll probably get out there some time next week. Looking forward actually. Not thrilled about having to spend more money, but I've kinda reached the point where I just want to play hockey without having to think about anything. Also arranged with my brother's roommate to try on his makos. I'll have to dig through that monster thread to find baking instructions. He only has a regular oven

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I scheduled a Graf fitting at some shop in the island, and found another random shop that has True retails in stock, so I'll probably get out there some time next week. Looking forward actually. Not thrilled about having to spend more money, but I've kinda reached the point where I just want to play hockey without having to think about anything. Also arranged with my brother's roommate to try on his makos. I'll have to dig through that monster thread to find baking instructions. He only has a regular oven

As someone above mentioned, try on the Ribcor line, the 80k or even the 78k, they're designed to give a little bit more flex than most of today's skates and also have some great padding inside that conforms to a wide variety of feet.  Might as well at least try them out while you're at the shop.  

12 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

As someone above mentioned, try on the Ribcor line, the 80k or even the 78k, they're designed to give a little bit more flex than most of today's skates and also have some great padding inside that conforms to a wide variety of feet.  Might as well at least try them out while you're at the shop.  

Thanks. I wore the only rbk ribcores at one point directly after the injury, but they were a drop too shallow for me. No lace bite or anything, but not deep enough. Not sure if these are different, I think they're base on the rbz?