Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
justinpryor

Looking for flex advice 82 or 87

On 8/14/2020 at 2:16 PM, justinpryor said:

As the title says, I have been running a vapor flylite at 87 for this past year and love it. My shots are quick and powerful. I used to use a 102 and swore by it, but since bauer went to its new sticks they dont make 102 in the P14. Over the last year I transitioned to the 87 got really good at it, and started to change my shooting style to quick release. Its worked great and I can use 87. 

It worked so well I thought perhaps I should try a 77 and it will be even better, however i found i over powered the stick and didn't like 77 at all. Shots were weak and I felt the stick bend far to much. Fast forward again, 

Now I am finding the 87 a bit stiff, as I have lost a bunch of weight ( was 210 now 190 ) and I am finding I miss shoot on 87 sometimes. I see bauer does 82 on custom and was thinking of trying it. Just hoping someone else made this switch and can provide some thoughts between the 77, 82, 87 bauer provides and had some thoughts. Just didnt want to end up in the to whippy boat again. 

Appreciate any help

82 sounds perfect for you.  I'm 215-220 and use a 87 flex that is cut a few inches.  I tried the 77 flex and found it to be unforgiving, great for wrist shots but it was a coin toss for the other shots. 

On 9/19/2020 at 11:12 PM, Beflar said:

82 sounds perfect for you.  I'm 215-220 and use a 87 flex that is cut a few inches.  I tried the 77 flex and found it to be unforgiving, great for wrist shots but it was a coin toss for the other shots. 

ok great ill defin try 

Now that it seems that we have established that flex and kick point will for the most part shoot the same speed, but feel different and release quicker....can someone tell me how and if the flex, but more importantly the kick point can affect the shot.  IE...will the lower kick point stick be more likely to shoot the puck higher and a mid-high kick point (ultrasonic) shoot the puck lower.  Is it better to use a toe curve with a Mid kick point and a P92 with a low kick stick.  

I have been trying to find any info on this out there.  I am not good enough for it to really matter, but it is one of those things that is just stuck in my head and I would like some help.

6 hours ago, hawk11 said:

Now that it seems that we have established that flex and kick point will for the most part shoot the same speed, but feel different and release quicker....can someone tell me how and if the flex, but more importantly the kick point can affect the shot.  IE...will the lower kick point stick be more likely to shoot the puck higher and a mid-high kick point (ultrasonic) shoot the puck lower.  Is it better to use a toe curve with a Mid kick point and a P92 with a low kick stick.  

I have been trying to find any info on this out there.  I am not good enough for it to really matter, but it is one of those things that is just stuck in my head and I would like some help.

This is only my opinion so take it for what it is.  If you can shoot the puck hard, bar down or if you can rip a clapper, low from the point, you should be able to do it with any stick as long as the flex/lie/length is correct.  When you have the proper shooting technique down, the other attributes of the stick is more about personal preference.  Changing from a mid-kick to a low-kick to a variable kick is not going to dramatically change your shot...how your mechanics change is going to alter the shot much more.  Personally, I think curves don't alter shots as much as people think (unless it's an illegal curve).  Look at Sidney Crosby's stick.  He has a very flat blade, but he can roof the puck, hit corners, etc cause he has incredible technique.  Focus on proper flex, lie, length, and technique.  Then from there, just find what you like in terms of kick point, curve, weight, etc.  My 2 cents.

• Like 4

On 3/2/2021 at 3:42 PM, hawk11 said:

There's an old saying, it's not the hammer, it's the carpenter. 

IMO, kick point has zero impact on where the puck ends up, i.e. low or high. That's more a technique. Some patterns make certain things easier. For example, open face patterns help the user get the puck up high but it won't do it for you. Also, there is no right or wrong, better or worse when it comes to curves paired with kick points.

A hockey stick is a tool. Some tools make jobs easier, others can make them a bit more difficult. You aren't looking for the best tool, you're looking for the tool that best suits you.

My recommendation to all new players is a mid kick P88.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, stick9 said:

My recommendation to all new players is a mid kick P88.

Or for those rapidly slowing down aged players who were way faster and shooting harder in their youth.  Heh.  I still use a mid-kick P88.  

• Haha 1