Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Nate willy

Best all around stick

Hey guys, i was wondering what everyone thought about the best all around stick combination. Imo, i believe that the best combo is a mid kick, p92/p29 with a flex around half your weight in pounds. Like for me at 5’11” 170, I would pick a nexus with a p92 curve at 77 flex. Anyone agree or disagree?

Best all-around stick is a stiff-flex Easton Aluminium with a wood blade. You can probably find that combo online for $50 tops. It's indestructible, you can snap any $400 composite twig in half with a good slash, and you probably won't outperform it on the ice (judging from your post). Plus, it's a classic twig so you'll look really cool. Go with any curve, since slashing and stick checking doesn't depend on what curve you have. Have fun!

• Haha 3

On 8/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, Nate willy said:

Hey guys, i was wondering what everyone thought about the best all around stick combination. Imo, i believe that the best combo is a mid kick, p92/p29 with a flex around half your weight in pounds. Like for me at 5’11” 170, I would pick a nexus with a p92 curve at 77 flex. Anyone agree or disagree?

You probably listed the most popular combo out there.  Mid flex p92 87flex.  I would bet these sell the most in most stores but I don't know for a fact.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, Nate willy said:

Love the flex on the Nexus though I find the blade a bit soft.  The Warrior Alpha QX was an all around favorite for me.  The DX is nice with a bit more pop though it's missing a bit of the flex of the QX.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:19 PM, MrData said:

Best all-around stick is a stiff-flex Easton Aluminium with a wood blade. You can probably find that combo online for $50 tops. It's indestructible, you can snap any $400 composite twig in half with a good slash, and you probably won't outperform it on the ice (judging from your post). Plus, it's a classic twig so you'll look really cool. Go with any curve, since slashing and stick checking doesn't depend on what curve you have. Have fun!

I love it. Though actually I've had a couple aluminum shafts split at the hosel. But I then just sawed off the split part, put in a longer wood butt end and you're good to go.

But yeah, it's basically a piece of rebar.

8 hours ago, Davideo said:

I love it. Though actually I've had a couple aluminum shafts split at the hosel. But I then just sawed off the split part, put in a longer wood butt end and you're good to go.

I had a Louisville shaft from the early-mid 90s I couldn’t even cut through with a hack saw. I tried cutting it to fit it in a trash can, and the saw wouldn’t bite at all. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Davideo said:

I definitely had a few Easton aluminum's bend on me to the point that they were useless. That was when I was like 10 too, so I doubt they're actually indestructible

On 8/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, Nate willy said:

Well, I'd have to disagree. Stick manufacturers make a variety of sticks with different flexes, blades, lies, and kick points because they know there is no one-size-fits-all type of stick. Warrior, Bauer and CCM have developed three different stick models with different kick-points geared towards three types of shooting styles. And for each model, there are different curves. 

It would be interesting to find out from each manufacturer, which kick-point is most popular, which toe (square or round), which facing(open, partial open, closed) and which curve (toe, mid or heel, not model) is most popular. I think P88 is as popular as P92. Maybe not.

Edited by caveman27

On 9/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, Miller55 said:

I definitely had a few Easton aluminum's bend on me to the point that they were useless. That was when I was like 10 too, so I doubt they're actually indestructible

I remember back in PeeWee a teammate of mine had the black Easton aluminum (Senior). A player from another team in our league came into our room to chat and picked up this black Easton and flexed it and it snapped in half. Needless to say my teammate gave him a pretty dirty look, but they aren't indestructable.

I had a Bauer Supreme aluminum (dark grey with blue lettering) at the time I thought it was the coolest looking stick around. There was a used one for sale at my LHS and I badgered my father to buy it. Anyways he did and I think I used it for all about two games. The thing was an absolute tank, it weighed a ton, awful feel, no flex at all. If there ever was a stick that was practically rebar this was it. 

• Like 1