Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ggmunsen

Cooper 4500 Helmet making a return

12 hours ago, start_today said:

In that vein, modsquad users, aging hockey nerds of the internet, what “vintage” gear do you want to see reissued? Either updated for modern play, or manufactured as was. And you can define “vintage” however you want. 

I would want a modern one-piece Sherwood Rekker stick but painted with PMP 5030, feather image, and SHER-WOOD using the old-fashioned font on it. The name LECLAIR on it for curve designation too instead of PP##. 

Best-Hockey-Sticks-Hockey-Sticks-HQ-Sher

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

I would want a modern one-piece Sherwood Rekker stick but painted with PMP 5030, feather image, and SHER-WOOD using the old-fashioned font on it. The name LECLAIR on it for curve designation too instead of PP##. 

Best-Hockey-Sticks-Hockey-Sticks-HQ-Sher

Didn't bauer did something like that with the xxx-lite?

Make it a Titan 2020 and I'm in.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 2

I'm onboard with all the ideas here. I still think there's a market for limited production, nostalgic based design/aesthetics with modern materials. Especially on sticks and skates if the only thing companies have to do is change the print/logo they put on stuff, which seems pretty do-able nowadays. I think the companies could print a CCM Tacks Heel Wedge or the white/black contrast on the heel like Mega Air 10-90's skates or make a shiny silver gretzky-esqe one piece stick. I'd love to see gloves in retro color-ways or at least more than the drab one solid color, but I kinda get how that process could be difficult in the manufacturing process.

Just take a page out of Nike's handbook and 're-issue' or 're-make' stuff on a limited run, make a cool social media campaign behind it to get the kids on board, and boom profit. 

At least thats how it works in my mind...

• Like 1

^^ With so many skates now looking generic black due to shot blocker covers, the big gold badge serves Bauer well for instant brand recognition on ice. Otherwise, I agree it is particularly unattractive.

Now before IVP says I have derailed the thread, original Cooper 4 Rolls with vintage colorways need to come back with split fingers. Split fingers would be the only improvement I would suggest to add to those great gloves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

^^ With so many skates now looking generic black due to shot blocker covers, the big gold badge serves Bauer well for instant brand recognition on ice. Otherwise, I agree it is particularly unattractive.

Now before IVP says I have derailed the thread, original Cooper 4 Rolls with vintage colorways need to come back with split fingers. Split fingers would be the only improvement I would suggest to add to those great gloves.

With skates being mostly a blank carbon fiber design, if you could create a sticker or decal to customize a skate that would create a pretty interesting market. I've seen some stuff on instagram but I'm not sure if its available to the masses yet.

Or if you had the artistic ability and maybe airbrushing equipment of some sort you could create some interesting customizations as well.

10 minutes ago, the_game said:

With skates being mostly a blank carbon fiber design, if you could create a sticker or decal to customize a skate that would create a pretty interesting market. I've seen some stuff on instagram but I'm not sure if its available to the masses yet.

Or if you had the artistic ability and maybe airbrushing equipment of some sort you could create some interesting customizations as well.

There is a few companies offering decals for skates. 

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Techniflex elbow pads are the standard by which I measure all others. I don't know why companies can't make a quality, flexible 3 piece elbow pad anymore.

That whole Techniflex line was so far ahead of its time.  The elbows and shoulder pads were awesome.  I had a few 3pc elbowpads over the past 10 years (V08, RBZ, jetspeed)  but none were as good as those techniflex ones.

As for the helmet... I must have gotten my first one just after they changed to Bauer, I remember the guy at the store (Syosset Sports, the Islanders old supplier) explaining the difference between the 2 models he had and the one I went with (the 4500 I'm guessing) had thinner VN foam and a thin piece of a denser black foam closer to the shell.  I remember him saying "the shells are the same and the overall thickness of padding is the same but this one the pros think looks smaller on their heads since there's not as much of the thick foam", I was sold and that may have been the first time I learned what the mirror test was 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

I would love a few pairs of the eagle h35s in tan with three piece index and middle fingers. I'd be set for life of they put those out

I always wonder why the index is 3-piece. That's the straightest finger when gripping a hockey stick. Middle and ring need to be 3-piece. I think it's because there's so much focus on the index finger when trying the glove on and doing the punch grip test. But for handling with a stick, that's not really necessary.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the_game said:

Especially on sticks and skates if the only thing companies have to do is change the print/logo they put on stuff, which seems pretty do-able nowadays. I think the companies could print a CCM Tacks Heel Wedge...

I assumed CCM was gonna do this when they went back to the Tacks name. But, I guess not enough old people buy skates, and young people don’t want skates that look like Grandpa’s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Techniflex elbow pads are the standard by which I measure all others. I don't know why companies can't make a quality, flexible 3 piece elbow pad anymore.

Techniflex designed elbow pads with modern materials would be incredible.  

The concept was so ingeniously simple too, it was simply a hinge between the upper and lower piece with a free floating elbow cap.  I wore those things to death, even when they became the Bauer Vapors - which weren’t quite as good.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 12:49 PM, flip12 said:

I always wonder why the index is 3-piece. That's the straightest finger when gripping a hockey stick. Middle and ring need to be 3-piece. I think it's because there's so much focus on the index finger when trying the glove on and doing the punch grip test. But for handling with a stick, that's not really necessary.

I disagree, personally. I find that the 3 piece index helps with stick feel and control. The middle finger helps with grip. Despite this, I wear one piece fingers, so really anything would be better. 

On 8/21/2020 at 12:04 PM, Hills said:

They should go back to the old Supreme heel design since the heels are never covered but anything anymore!

1-3145.jpg

Well, they want to save on weight, in competing with CCM on selling light-weight skates.

My Supreme 6000s have that heel design. Before I got my CCM Jetspeeds, I felt like I was skating with cave man skates where most guys including the refs were wearing skates with carbon fiber boot.

33 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Well, they want to save on weight, in competing with CCM on selling light-weight skates.

My Supreme 6000s have that heel design. Before I got my CCM Jetspeeds, I felt like I was skating with cave man skates where most guys including the refs were wearing skates with carbon fiber boot.

I meant specifically the white things on the back of the ankle and just make it a graphic package for nostalgic reasons.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Hence the name?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hills said:

I meant specifically the white things on the back of the ankle and just make it a graphic package for nostalgic reasons.

Oh. It would look kind of strange.

lmdbewkJxYhXxi5IRnI0LGJfikpRHK9za6Do7wi1

bauer-supreme-6000-hockey-skate-size_1_4

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Brick Shoes would have been an awful name. 

Also morbid. My mind thinks mafia with a name like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I picked mine up just now.  I joined the local Sunday night league at the rink after a hiatus.  Will join the local church league too.  I'll probably get banned from that one though

• Like 1

Bring back these graphics in a skate graphics package...

PavelBure_468x691.jpg

And these graphics in a stick graphics package...

vintage-trevor-linden-game-used-bauer_1_

... and take all my money. All of it.

3 hours ago, #94 said:

Bring back these graphics in a skate graphics package...

PavelBure_468x691.jpg

And these graphics in a stick graphics package...

vintage-trevor-linden-game-used-bauer_1_

... and take all my money. All of it.

The greatest skate ever made.