Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
218hockey

help with Easton stick model history

I just picked up a new Easton Junior Synergy GX for my son and he really likes it. He wants me to find him an Intermediate now as well.

How old is this stick? Did they make another top of the line stick after the GX or was this the end of the line? I have no idea, never bought an Easton stick before this one.

I believe that the GX was the last model year before the Bauer buy. If I remember correctly it was released in 2016, which was the year of the purchase. 

Edit: BTW, getting into discontinued brands is a slippery slope. As someone who still uses Easton sticks, I dread the day when I will have to find something else. Might want to nip it in the bud before it gets too difficult

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

The GX was launched after the deal with Bauer to fulfill commitments.  It was the last Easton stick.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:02 AM, Miller55 said:

I believe that the GX was the last model year before the Bauer buy. If I remember correctly it was released in 2016, which was the year of the purchase. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, Miller55 said:

Edit: BTW, getting into discontinued brands is a slippery slope. As someone who still uses Easton sticks, I dread the day when I will have to find something else. Might want to nip it in the bud before it gets too difficult

I don't really see the logic in that statement.  Bauer was still releasing Easton S19's as far as the Vapor 1X Lite.  Easton's from 10 years ago.  Easton's not even dressed as "Easton's" anymore.  Post-merger.  And pro's in the NHL were still using them.  There are multiple GX, CX, HTX's, and V9E's available brand new for under $100.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Stearnso said:

I don't really see the logic in that statement.  Bauer was still releasing Easton S19's as far as the Vapor 1X Lite.  Easton's from 10 years ago.  Easton's not even dressed as "Easton's" anymore.  Post-merger.  And pro's in the NHL were still using them.  There are multiple GX, CX, HTX's, and V9E's available brand new for under $100.

I'm aware. GXs are not available under 100 bucks. Same with CXs. Maybe you can find an HTX. Probably lefty out with a crap curve or 110 flex or something. For all of this stuff you're looking at closer to 150 anyway. There are plenty of new pro stock sticks that come in cheaper than that.

Also, another issue with Easton is they were the literal kings of repainting sticks, so probably half the time you buy a new old stock Easton you don't even know what stick it actually is. Like I said, I still use them and am very aware of the situation. But I have a good supplier that is knowledgeable and honest with me. For me, yeah, in a weird gear geek who grew up with Easton and that's what I like, Easton and TPS, so that's what I continue to use. For someone to just go buying GXs on SLS and eBay for her kid, bit of a waste of time and energy.

Buying old Easton's on SLS is a great way to buy an RS II and end up with an SE16. Not the end of the world, no, but definitely a pain in the ass when it happens over and over and it's not the stick you want. Easier to just get an Alpha or Jetspeed from a good source and know what you're getting most of the time. You don't save much money either. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stearnso said:

Don't forget that the FlyLight or whatever is basically the love child of the Stealth and Vapor lines.

17 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Don't forget that the FlyLight or whatever is basically the love child of the Stealth and Vapor lines.

The Easton tech is definitely still being used by Bauer. Easton was way ahead in sticks in those days, before they took their eyes off the prize and their foot off the gas, to the extent that Bauer still uses that tech. The issue with buying old Easton sticks is that the last 5-7 years were a series of bust launches that resulted in an excessive amount of repaints, and if you don't buy from someone good, you probably aren't buying the stick that it's painted to look like. Plus, good curves and flexes are not so easy to come by. Maybe it's different for lefties...? IDK. But I'm about as on top of this situation as anyone around, and it's definitely not going to last forever

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1