Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sickwilly

Baking custom Pro Tacks

After years of looking, I finally found a pair of nice Pro Tacks that I thought would fit my feet. 

They were custom made for someone else who also has very wide feet. They were constructed with the old school, white outsole. My daughter’s Pro Tacks (retail, perhaps from the same year) have a composite outsole. 
The previous owner also applied Toe Pro.

Would these skates be safe to bake lightly? 

On 8/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, sickwilly said:

After years of looking, I finally found a pair of nice Pro Tacks that I thought would fit my feet. 

They were custom made for someone else who also has very wide feet. They were constructed with the old school, white outsole. My daughter’s Pro Tacks (retail, perhaps from the same year) have a composite outsole. 
The previous owner also applied Toe Pro.

Would these skates be safe to bake lightly? 

Like these?

https://www.hockeyworld.com/CCM-Pro-Tacks-Hockey-Skates-04-model-Senior

The ones you posted the link to are like my daughter's skates, and have a carbon outsole. 

The outsole on the ones I have are thick and white, like what I was used to seeing on old school skates. My best guess is that they are too wide for the stock outsoles so they made some out of the white material instead. I'm worried that material might not be safe to bake. 

Edited by sickwilly

Matt - hope all is well with you!  Been a while!

You can certainly bake skates with a thermoplastic rubber outsole. Most of the skates in the 90s had the same outsole and you baked them for longer than current year skates. 

Just be sure not to walk around in them when you bake them. 

• Like 2

Hi JR! I've been mostly lurking because I have pretty much all the gear I'll need until I have to hang 'em up. I appreciate the intel, and am happy to hear I can bake these. I was really afraid to screw them up, since I know there's almost zero chance of finding another, suitable pair. 

Hope you've been well!