Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Benderdad

Skate profile 7-12 vs cag one 30/55

Hi, I got my son’s skates profiled for the first time and was recommended to do 7-12.  My son doesn’t hate it (doesn’t love it either) and I haven’t seen any improvements either so I was discussing with someone and they suggested going to cag one 30/55. He’s an offensive Dman, plays AAA and just turned 13. Is there a major difference between the 2 profiles?  Trying to not spend the extra money unless it would help. Cag one person said he would have more blade on the ice compared to the 7-12 profile he’s on. Thanks for any advice or suggestions. 

What size blade and type of skate?

someone can make profile recommendations without seeing you kid skate, It provides little value.  In the end they are only a recommendation.  Profiles are very much individual decision.  There is no one size fits all.

cag profiles are basically a flat spot.  Some people like them.  Others don’t.  I personally don’t care for them.  Research pro sharp profiles.

He has size 263 blades on the Bauer ultra sonic, has pulse and tydan steel. I figured it would be best to have someone see him skate but I don’t know of anyone in NJ that would watch him skate and make a strong recommendation. I will  look into pro sharp profiles as well. 

Edited by Benderdad

On 8/23/2020 at 9:21 AM, Benderdad said:

Hi, I got my son’s skates profiled for the first time and was recommended to do 7-12.  My son doesn’t hate it (doesn’t love it either) and I haven’t seen any improvements either so I was discussing with someone and they suggested going to cag one 30/55. He’s an offensive Dman, plays AAA and just turned 13. Is there a major difference between the 2 profiles?  Trying to not spend the extra money unless it would help. Cag one person said he would have more blade on the ice compared to the 7-12 profile he’s on. Thanks for any advice or suggestions. 

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  Assuming his Ultrasonic's were retail did he not like the Quad 0 profile that came on the Pulse TI?

They were retail and to be quite honest I didn’t know they had a quad profile. I was able to buy them before being actually sold in the stores, and I bought tydan replacement blades from someone local and spoke to them about getting blades profiled and he recommended 7-12 and I had him profile them. I’m used to buying skates for myself and my son and just assumed they were standard blades. The guy does a lot of NHL and other high level player skates so I went with what he suggested and I guess either way my son needed tydan blades profiled, he mentioned he would have more blade on the ice, but he also probably didn’t know the pulse blades had a quad 0 on it. That being said I don’t know which profile he likes better. It took him a bit to get used to 7-12 but he seems ok for the most part. He’s a typical just turned 13 kid and doesn’t offer much info, just says he likes them. He also likes his shoes with holes and shirts with stains on them.  I do see him slipping on crossovers which he never had an issue with. He’s a good skater who spends a lot of time working on it. I was looking to add more speed and acceleration and went with what was recommended, I spoke to a couple people and did the tydan assessement which recommended the 30/55. I probably should’ve left his blades alone but when I bought the tydan ones I figured I’d get them both profiled. 

I've skated on 35/65, Quad 0, Zuperior as well as a bunch of others.  I like all 3, but would say IMO that the 2 ProSharp profiles are a safer bet for most players.