Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Back to back testing of some new and current sticks

On 1/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, chippa13 said:

I wouldn't put a huge amount of weight on the results of this "test". Everybody has their own preference for kickpoints and flex profiles. If you ask someone to "test" something with a different kickpoint and/or flex profile than they are used to then of course something is going to feel off and not to their liking, especially at first. And generally, the higher you go up the hockey food chain, the more this will be the case.

Doing a list of best sticks is always a bad idea because like you said everyone has their own preferences and the "easy to load and launch" will always be at the top. The rankings of those sticks show here proves that. 2S Pro (and other Supremes as well as older Tacks) will always be at the bottom because they actually require effort to shoot.

But those sticks usually have the hardest shots and definitely the hardest slap shots, and are used by the hardest shooters I face.

Not to mention I don't trust randoms with their opinions because enough people have responded with "I love the dampened feel of the Flylite sticks" that it isn't worth responding too.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

Doing a list of best sticks is always a bad idea because like you said everyone has their own preferences and the "easy to load and launch" will always be at the top. The rankings of those sticks show here proves that. 2S Pro (and other Supremes as well as older Tacks) will always be at the bottom because they actually require effort to shoot.

But those sticks usually have the hardest shots and definitely the hardest slap shots, and are used by the hardest shooters I face.

Not to mention I don't trust randoms with their opinions because enough people have responded with "I love the dampened feel of the Flylite sticks" that it isn't worth responding too.

Please note I never said the list was best to worst. What works for some may not work for others, and vice versa. 

This was a collection of reviews from many players who all play a high skill level on what sticks they liked the best. Many of these guys have never branched out to other brands or tried other models of sticks either because of the leagues they play in being sponsored by a particular manufacturer, equipment managers pushing the players to a specific brand, or them preferring to stick with what they know. We all know that most players dislike change and thus won't change unless there is an actual benefit, they can no longer get the item anymore, or they fall into a slump of some type. 

On 1/13/2021 at 11:19 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

We also tested the Nexus Geo, AS3 Pro, Trigger 5 Pro, and TRUE Project X, all of which ranked high. If you included those in the testing it changed the ranking considerably. I also had time to collect more info from players on some other sticks we tested as well that I originally didn't include. 

The ranking was as follows with those included:

CCM FT3 Pro
CCM AS3 Pro
CCM FT2 
Bauer Flylite
Bauer Nexus Geo
CCM Ribcor Trigger 5 Pro
CCM Trigger 4 Pro
Bauer Nexus 2N Pro
TRUE Project X
CCM AS2 Pro
Bauer Ultrasonic 
Bauer 2S Pro

Sorry for the delay in updating this. 

Thanks for sharing this.

I thought the ranking of the FT2 was interesting, so much so that my LHS had them knocked down 40% on clearance and I luckily had a gift card to us so I picked one up (not that I needed a new stick but whatever). 

After a bit of usage, I concur that the stick is more "forgiving" when it comes to shooting. As was pointed out, you can still get a nice shot off even if your mechanics are off a bit or your balance isn't perfect. I own both Trigger 2s and 3Ds (low-kick) as well as Super Tacks 2.0 and Ultra Tacks (Mid). I find with the low-kick, you really have to grip hard and snap to get the most out of them, while I find with the mid-kick, your mechanics/follow-through need to be sound to really load up the shaft get the most out of those sticks. 

The FT2 seems to me anyways better able to handle a wider variety of in-game shooting opportunities. Which is sort of how it's marketed. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 8:26 AM, Hills said:

the 2spro is not about effort, its recoil is terrible and therefore has bad ratings as puck velocity is bad. You cant recoil a stick with such a high kick point well at all. I have also taken a radar last year and shot sticks to see if i was correct. The 2spro was one of the worst performing sticks. I usually shoot around 87-89mph, with the 2spro i was 81-83. 2npro was back up to the high 80s. At the time no new sticks from CCM were worth it, but now i am taking a radar out again and will test. The CCMs will own. Bauers current line up minus the geo is junk. BUT even the geo is missing the mark compared to CCMs. 

On 1/14/2021 at 11:14 AM, hawk11 said:

Thank you very much.

That is what I was expecting to see, but I did think the Nexus Geo would be a little higher.

Sounds like a lot of glowing reviews for the FT3.  How does the AS3 compare.  Is there really a comparison or is the FT3 just that much better. 

I guess what I would like to know, does the AS3 feel really stiff and take a long time to load while taking wrist and snap shots compared to the FT3 or Geo?

Nexus geo is an amazing stick. Until you shoot a new ccm. Bauers launch schedule puts it years behind CCM now in terms of pushing limits. its stick like the geo is a year old and a down grade on the adv. why bauer did this is odd. 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:14 PM, hawk11 said:

Thank you very much.

That is what I was expecting to see, but I did think the Nexus Geo would be a little higher.

Sounds like a lot of glowing reviews for the FT3.  How does the AS3 compare.  Is there really a comparison or is the FT3 just that much better. 

I guess what I would like to know, does the AS3 feel really stiff and take a long time to load while taking wrist and snap shots compared to the FT3 or Geo?

AS3 Pro is not stiff at all, specifically in comparison to Trigger 5 Pro (which I find lower flex too be stiffer than AS3 Pro flexes 5-10 'points' above). AS3 Pro is a weapon; haven't tried the FT3 pro, but from the guys who I play with (and are all lifetime hockey players) they much prefer the AS3 Pro over the FT3 Pro. 

It is funny but sticks are so expensive now that I feel stuck using what I know and don't feel I can risk buying another type of stick.  So I'm stuck using the Nexus till I die.

How the F are sticks more expensive then a pair of BOSE's noise cancelling headset?  Two sticks cost more then a PS5..

Edited by Beflar

3 hours ago, Beflar said:

How the F are sticks more expensive then a pair of BOSE's noise cancelling headset?  Two sticks cost more then a PS5..

That's not surprising. What I find surprising is the number of people buying those sticks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krev said:

Interested to see how you guys think the LX Pro stands up to CCM's offerings - personally, it's my top stick this year.

Great stick but the durability has been questionable. UNLV ACHA D1 teams uses them and those guys are going through them constantly. 

Howdy,

On 12/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, Beflar said:

Now I'm wondering how many hockey sticks are sold per year vs. gaming systems... 🙂

And "because people will pay it" seems to be the answer.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Now I'm wondering how many hockey sticks are sold per year vs. gaming systems... 🙂

Mark

Funny story.

I am at the shop the other day and we get a call from a younger player, maybe around 11 years old. He says "I broke my stick, it got stuck between the bench door. When the coached closed the door it broke the blade off. My friend told me I can go back and exchange it for another stick."

I had to explain to him that the breakage is not a result of a defect and he needs to talk to the manufacturer. I also explained the manufacturer will likely not approve the warranty replacement claim since its not a defect. He was upset by me telling him the facts, that we wouldn't replace the stick for him in store, and basically threw a tantrum over the phone and then hung up. 

So, when people ask why sticks are trending $300+ I always think back to this young player who will likely submit a warranty claim, which may get approved, and thus stick prices will continue to rise. 

Howdy,

28 minutes ago, PBH said:

So, when people ask why sticks are trending $300+ I always think back to this young player who will likely submit a warranty claim, which may get approved, and thus stick prices will continue to rise. 

I mean, maybe that's a reason.  But there's what, maybe $30 of materials in a $300 stick?

I don't think "lots of warranty replacements" is the main price driver here.

Mark

Edited by marka

6 minutes ago, marka said:

Right. Maybe if the warranty were six months. Which at these prices it really should be.

Warranty replacement would be built into the business model and unless something drastic was happening homogeneously across all manufacturers then it is not consistently driving prices up.

Don't buy the expensive sticks, that will drive prices down if enough people do it.  Otherwise there is a willingness to pay and it is making business sense for the manufacturers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

As of September Sony has sold just over 13 million PS5's. So there's that.

There are other factors but it's mostly because people are buying them. 

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Warranty replacement would be built into the business model and unless something drastic was happening homogeneously across all manufacturers then it is not consistently driving prices up.

Don't buy the expensive sticks, that will drive prices down if enough people do it.  Otherwise there is a willingness to pay and it is making business sense for the manufacturers. 

I just picked up a Jetspeed FT3 Team stick for less than $90 CAD and it performs just as well as the top of the line models I've used, (a bit heavier, but not "heavy" by any stretch).  I'm resolved to never again pay more than $150 CAD (tax in) for a stick.

Edited by boo10

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I mean, maybe that's a reason.  But there's what, maybe $30 of materials in a $300 stick?

Mark

What would you say is the main price driver?

Also, a stick is more than a pile of materials.

36 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I understand the R&D aspect of the price, but a big part of the rising costs is “because we can, and people will keep buying them.” (Bauer, I’m looking at you…)

the positive part is what was once a top of the line stick trickles technology down to models in subsequent years second and third tier sticks at a comparative bargain  

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

I'd say development costs are the biggest driver. Materials and manufacturing costs shouldn't be overlooked. 

At the end of the day it really comes down to what people are willing to pay.   

4 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

but a big part of the rising costs is “because we can, and people will keep buying them.” (Bauer, I’m looking at you…)

Prices seem to be pretty much in the same ballpark across manufacturers.  So...I'm looking at the consumers.  This isn't like price gouging people to heat their homes where they don't have a choice.  There are plenty of options.  Very few people need or can wring out the marginal improvements of high-end sticks and skates.  Costs have nothing to do with how things should be priced.

23 hours ago, stick9 said:

As of September Sony has sold just over 13 million PS5's. So there's that.

There are other factors but it's mostly because people are buying them. 

Can't really use PS as a comparison to sticks, because Sony sells them at cost or even a slight loss in order to drive software sales (which is where the money is). 

1 hour ago, clarkiestooth said:

Can't really use PS as a comparison to sticks, because Sony sells them at cost or even a slight loss in order to drive software sales (which is where the money is). 

I wasn't the one who made the comparison.

FWIW, I don't believe sony is selling them at cost. They may not be making a profit on them yet due to part shortages and development costs. It's not unheard of. I just doubt Sony is doing it with that particular product.

Edited by stick9