Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

CCM revised the XS holder?

I noticed some of the newer CCM skates we are getting in stock have a slightly modified XS holder. The screw assembly is now black and seems to be plastic and the dial piece also has larger ribs on it. 

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Is it on all models or just on the lower end ones? 

I bought the metal ones to sell. I saw that and can just see an issue in cold weather and a puck. 

Unless there nylon?

Not sure of the material, could be nylon. It's hard for me to tell if they changed the dial and screw on specific skate models or specific skates manufactured after a certain time period. We just got a shipment in of 9380 and 9370 and all of them had the new dial and screw assembly. We got our shipment of AS3 Pro and AS3 skates in May and haven't gotten any more since then. The older 9380 and 9370 skates we got in our previous shipment had the first generation screw drive assembly. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

I'd imagine the nylon/plastic is less likely to get rusted and seize but wonder how impact durability is... I guess it's a simple swap of the part anyways if it does break. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'd imagine the nylon/plastic is less likely to get rusted and seize but wonder how impact durability is... I guess it's a simple swap of the part anyways if it does break. 

The metal ones are stainless.  Never seen rust one a single one yet. 

Impact on the new ones is all I'd be worried about. 

2 hours ago, puckstopper said:

It's a cost saving measure for sure.   The high end skates still have the metal spur.

Seems crazy that third level from the top is coming with this revised attachment screw. I could understand bottom tier skates having such, but at this price point it should still be metal. 

16 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Seems crazy that third level from the top is coming with this revised attachment screw. I could understand bottom tier skates having such, but at this price point it should still be metal. 

Seems pathetic that the move was made to begin with, regardless of tier IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Can they be swapped out after the fact, or are the holders different to accommodate the cheaper screw? If they're interchangeable at least that should make it easy to swap out if someone can get their hands on the stainless parts.

6 hours ago, colins said:

Can they be swapped out after the fact, or are the holders different to accommodate the cheaper screw? If they're interchangeable at least that should make it easy to swap out if someone can get their hands on the stainless parts.

Easily swapped. Hence why I bought about 100 sets. 🙂 

• Like 3

Time will tell if the move to nylon/plastic was a bad one.   CCM seems to put a lot of thought/research into the things they're doing lately and they are just now getting back some of the customers they've lost to Bauer (in my area anyway).  Overall this will save them a relatively small amount of money per pair of skates.  I can't imagine they'd spend the time and resources redesigning and testing this piece and then launching it unless they were convinced it would hold up to the intended level of play. 

2 hours ago, puckstopper said:

Time will tell if the move to nylon/plastic was a bad one.   CCM seems to put a lot of thought/research into the things they're doing lately and they are just now getting back some of the customers they've lost to Bauer (in my area anyway).  Overall this will save them a relatively small amount of money per pair of skates.  I can't imagine they'd spend the time and resources redesigning and testing this piece and then launching it unless they were convinced it would hold up to the intended level of play. 

That maybe true and it may be just fine. BUT for 7 8 9 hundred I would like there top pieces in my skates and I have yet to see the ordinal holder have any issues at all. 

It's interesting, I wonder if nylon on nylon may actually stay tighter than nylon (the nut) on metal.  I know I need to give mine a bit of a twist every once in a while. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

It's interesting, I wonder if nylon on nylon may actually stay tighter than nylon (the nut) on metal.  I know I need to give mine a bit of a twist every once in a while. 

And I thought it was just my OCD needing to check the tightness before each skate.

3 hours ago, start_today said:

Cue a bunch of gram counting babies lining up to switch to the nylon because WEIGHT SAVINGS regardless of actual weight. 

Honestly, I thought that comment about weight was a poke at the bean counters

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

An add on sale for the product you'll be able to buy direct from them come March 2021...

Interesting...