Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
honeless_blader

New boots, buy now or wait?

Hi all, I just received my new marsblade r1s and the plan was to set them up a new pair of boots. However! Someone in the Mission disappearing thread mentioned the 2021 samples and I'm looking around and noticing some of the top end boots discounted so I'm wondering: Is there anything new coming out soon that I should wait for? Or is now a great time to buy?

For reference, I'm currently skating on Mission NLS1s with sprungs. They're not in terrible shape, I can certainly wait a couple of months if I need to. 

There should be new Mission skates coming out in the next 6 months (The FZ was launched Feb 2019; so I am guessing Feb 2021 for the new line). 

I would check out the long True TF9/TF7 thread here. Those just came out and have a rebate deal until September 4. 

Also, please let us know how the R1 compares to the Sprung once you've used it a few times.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Pretty much echoing what althoma said, but Mission sounds release new line start if next year. If you're set on roller boots, I'd wait for the new release and at least then you might score some FZs for discount.

Otherwise look into True TF boots or other ice boots that you like. Personally, I try to support the roller brands as much as I can because I want to see them do well and stick around, but at this point it's just Alkali and Tour, and Alkali is Tron now, and Tour boots are hit or miss and will never be the stiffest, so I end up with ice boots usually. 

• Like 2

Just an update if anyone is curious:

I got a chance to look at the new Mission boots earlier today and I wasn't super impressed with the new design. It's fine? I was told the fit will be the same but given that, I think I'd stay with the current model and get a discount. Going to look at CCM boots tomorrow, maybe try on a pair of TF9s as well. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, honeless_blader said:

Just an update if anyone is curious:

I got a chance to look at the new Mission boots earlier today and I wasn't super impressed with the new design. It's fine? I was told the fit will be the same but given that, I think I'd stay with the current model and get a discount. Going to look at CCM boots tomorrow, maybe try on a pair of TF9s as well. 

Share the deets on the new Mission skate design.

3 hours ago, the_game said:

Share the deets on the new Mission skate design.

Hmmmm.

Spoiler

What if you inverted the FZ series, added a few geometric lines, and a dash of the AC series? The boot felt more or less the same weight and stiffness wise, though I was only holding it in my hands for a few moments.

Edited by honeless_blader

That's pretty funny. Just this week I was saying that I bet they're gonna do that with the design. Ha. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Tour lineup, but I have no idea when it will be since they just released the volt line. Wonder if they will put out a top model volt skate (kv1). The kv is the best looking boot they're probably ever made honestly

23 hours ago, Miller55 said:

That's pretty funny. Just this week I was saying that I bet they're gonna do that with the design. Ha. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Tour lineup, but I have no idea when it will be since they just released the volt line. Wonder if they will put out a top model volt skate (kv1). The kv is the best looking boot they're probably ever made honestly

I wonder if Tour is doing some market research to see how well the Volt lineup is doing versus Code. If there’s overwhelming support and demand for them, I wouldn’t be surprised if they migrate to 80-80-76-76 permanently. 

I, too, feel that their skates are due for a refresh. I think the current Code series are from 2018. I’d also be curious to see what direction they head in. 

Tour needs to bring back the sensor chassis from labeda. 

New missions sound underwhelming which seems par for the course with the Bauer news of them closing the cali location. 

24 minutes ago, the_game said:

Tour needs to bring back the sensor chassis from labeda. 

New missions sound underwhelming which seems par for the course with the Bauer news of them closing the cali location. 

Agree, I hate the all 80s, but the sensor was definitely the best one. 

The thing about Mission is that you're never gonna see them do anything that doesn't already exist in Bauer ice skates, so they're basically just riding out the popularity of the brand name without actually innovating anything different from Bauer ice or roller. I think it's dumb, because they could really just use Mission for any weird innovation they want to try, and then keep Bauer roller traditional, but instead it's just two brand putting out basically the same skates.

3 hours ago, JSchultz said:

I wonder if Tour is doing some market research to see how well the Volt lineup is doing versus Code. If there’s overwhelming support and demand for them, I wouldn’t be surprised if they migrate to 80-80-76-76 permanently. 

I, too, feel that their skates are due for a refresh. I think the current Code series are from 2018. I’d also be curious to see what direction they head in. 

Yeah, that make sense. The patent expired and now they can see how they do. I think they might keep two lines if the sales can support it, as there are definitely players who prefer the all 80mm. I just wish tour would put a bit more into their boots. I love the fit and the comfort, but I'm not trying to go through a pair of skates every 2-3 seasons of 2x/week house league and maybe 1x/week pickup. I would love if they put out a top of the line + option, even if they raise the price point. I grew up on long island and know a bunch of the older tour players and I don't think anyone has been stoked on their skates in a long time. Everyone tells me they're fine but if they weren't free they would not be wearing them. The last tours I had were code tabus maybe 10 years ago, and I think every top end skate they've done since then had been pretty much the same skate with different graphics until this code 1.one

10 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Agree, I hate the all 80s, but the sensor was definitely the best one. 

The thing about Mission is that you're never gonna see them do anything that doesn't already exist in Bauer ice skates, so they're basically just riding out the popularity of the brand name without actually innovating anything different from Bauer ice or roller. I think it's dumb, because they could really just use Mission for any weird innovation they want to try, and then keep Bauer roller traditional, but instead it's just two brand putting out basically the same skates.

Yeah, that make sense. The patent expired and now they can see how they do. I think they might keep two lines if the sales can support it, as there are definitely players who prefer the all 80mm. I just wish tour would put a bit more into their boots. I love the fit and the comfort, but I'm not trying to go through a pair of skates every 2-3 seasons of 2x/week house league and maybe 1x/week pickup. I would love if they put out a top of the line + option, even if they raise the price point. I grew up on long island and know a bunch of the older tour players and I don't think anyone has been stoked on their skates in a long time. Everyone tells me they're fine but if they weren't free they would not be wearing them. The last tours I had were code tabus maybe 10 years ago, and I think every top end skate they've done since then had been pretty much the same skate with different graphics until this code 1.one

Yep 100% Missions have been watered supremes for years.

I doubt it’ll happen but I’d like to see the Fit 1,2,3 system adapted to roller.

14 hours ago, Miller55 said:

It's sad but there's just no market for a bigger roller hockey spend. Inline skates of all sorts have had a banner year so I'm sure they'll see a Covid bump, but will it last?

Part of what drew me to roller in the first place was Mission's "California" vibe, a different and fun attitude to the super serious ice hockey I had been playing. But instead of cultivating it's own identity, it seems like the sport became more of an off-ice training hobby so... here we are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, honeless_blader said:

It's sad but there's just no market for a bigger roller hockey spend. Inline skates of all sorts have had a banner year so I'm sure they'll see a Covid bump, but will it last?

Part of what drew me to roller in the first place was Mission's "California" vibe, a different and fun attitude to the super serious ice hockey I had been playing. But instead of cultivating it's own identity, it seems like the sport became more of an off-ice training hobby so... here we are.

It might last, but we'll see.

I agree with the sentiments though, that was what drew me to roller as well. Even in it's most competitive form it's still much more fun and laid back. I never played much ice hockey in large part because it was so competitive and expensive, and my dad had us in so much other competitive stuff that it was nice to just lace up and play on the dead ends