Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

CCM AS3 Pro Skate Initial Thoughts

It's been a while since I've done one of these - lots has changed in the past few years, and so I'm glad to have the opportunity to review product again.

I'll be comparing this to the last CCM skate I reviewed, which was the Super Tacks.  That IT can be found here - 

I didn't skate the AS1; truth be told, there wasn't a massive difference between them and the original Super Tacks.  

IMG_0555.thumb.jpg.8c7c663eedf621d7d75fac13c01d6859.jpg

Aesthetically, the AS3 looks to be extremely well-made; I can't find a flaw like loose stitches, crooked jeweling or anything of the sort. There is quite a lot of shininess to the boot and the graphics are a bit intense, but I guess that's the

This is the first Tacks skate with the quick-release XS holder.  The stock steel is still the XS steel but it is slightly taller than the previous version.

CCM also reduced the eyerow overlay to the top two eyelets only, and has a runner going up the edge of the quarter.  For reference, the Super Tacks had a full eyerow overlay, and the AS1 had the 3-5 eyelets with an eyerow overlay.  AND THEY GOT RID OF THE CCM-STAMPED EYELETS. 

It's probably the stiffest skate I've put on.  Lacing them up out of the box, however, they felt extremely comfortable for my foot shape.  A pleasant surprise in the forefoot as it is much more plush than the Super Tacks as there's added foam there.  

IMG_0556.thumb.jpg.8a29bfb5ec5941633ba7c70cb3a1710d.jpg

New liner in this skate, and CCM extended the abrasion-resistant panels further back towards the heel (for extended protection against shin guard abrasion.)

The other big feature in this skate is the ability to remove tongues.  The stock tongue is your standard CCM felt in terms of thickness.  

The tongue attaches to the top of the toe box but now has a flap on top. To remove the tongue, you have to pry that flap up, as shown:

IMG_0565.thumb.jpg.0682a221d4c96eadf0be5723b34e9fec.jpg   IMG_0567.thumb.jpg.87abb220d14208797bf538516876766d.jpg

Once pried there will be two prongs.  Push those down and the tongue is no longer attached to the boot.

IMG_0562.thumb.jpg.b6c5f0d3b937ad9caa60f5fc52a79e5d.jpg

IMG_0564.thumb.jpg.e46b697d71e5aaf4031fb0ce94523008.jpg

Aftermarket tongues are available in a thin molded tongue, the same stock tongue with a D3O metatarsal pad and a 10mm heavy felt tongue with a D3O metatarsal pad.  

I didn't feel the tongue attachment when I had the skates on.  This was a definitely well thought out feature.

Had to bake these from home as my local rink is not open yet.  Skates responded well to the bake as I got some good definition inside the skate.

I'm looking forward to skating in these.  Thanks to @CCMHockey for the opportunity.

If you have any questions, please ask them in this thread.

• Like 5

Nice write up. I like the AS3 and AS3 Pro very much and they fit nicely but are unfortunately too stiff for me. Maybe I need to start eating more so I put on some weight or I should spend more time at the gym bulking 😉

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Nice write up. I like the AS3 and AS3 Pro very much and they fit nicely but are unfortunately too stiff for me. Maybe I need to start eating more so I put on some weight or I should spend more time at the gym bulking 😉

Even the as3? It's supposed to be less stiff. But I don't remember if it's stiffer than the as1.  The as1 was pretty stiff. 

Anyone want to comment on the sizing, especially in relation to an AS1?

For length I fit a Jetspeed 5.5, a Supreme 6. I have an AS1 6 and it is definitely 1/2 a size too small, my toes aren't just brushing but pressing hard against the toe cap. I have an opportunity to get some AS3 pros in a 6 but am reluctant to given how the AS1 was sized.

12 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It's been a while since I've done one of these - lots has changed in the past few years, and so I'm glad to have the opportunity to review product again.

I'll be comparing this to the last CCM skate I reviewed, which was the Super Tacks.  That IT can be found here - 

I didn't skate the AS1; truth be told, there wasn't a massive difference between them and the original Super Tacks.  

IMG_0555.thumb.jpg.8c7c663eedf621d7d75fac13c01d6859.jpg

Aesthetically, the AS3 looks to be extremely well-made; I can't find a flaw like loose stitches, crooked jeweling or anything of the sort. There is quite a lot of shininess to the boot and the graphics are a bit intense, but I guess that's the

This is the first Tacks skate with the quick-release XS holder.  The stock steel is still the XS steel but it is slightly taller than the previous version.

CCM also reduced the eyerow overlay to the top two eyelets only, and has a runner going up the edge of the quarter.  For reference, the Super Tacks had a full eyerow overlay, and the AS1 had the 3-5 eyelets with an eyerow overlay.  AND THEY GOT RID OF THE CCM-STAMPED EYELETS. 

Retail skate from CCM with no stamped eyelets - now we're talking!

Those eyelets have me legit excited, hoping to see these on the Jetspeed side soon.

Awesome looking skate - I'm old school too but given the way things are trending I think CCM did an awesome job on the overall look of this skate.

Are the fit of these still similar to the originals Tacks reboot? For a Bauer guy coming over, these would be the choice for someone who's foot fits a Supreme profile? 

colins

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Even the as3? It's supposed to be less stiff. But I don't remember if it's stiffer than the as1.  The as1 was pretty stiff. 

AS1 and AS3 are basically the same stiffness. I think the AS1 is rated at 195 and the AS3 is 190. The AS3 Pro is rated at 210

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

AS1 and AS3 are basically the same stiffness. I think the AS1 is rated at 195 and the AS3 is 190. The AS3 Pro is rated at 210

Are stiffness ratings documented anywhere? What procedure is used to test/measure? Can the scale be used across vendors or is it vendor specific?

colins

I have to say - that tongue system looks brilliant. If the mechanism holds up to regular wear and tear what a great feature to be able to swap tongues out quickly and easily.

colins

7 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Do you happen to know the stiffness rating of the original 2016 Super Tacks?

1 hour ago, colins said:

Are stiffness ratings documented anywhere? What procedure is used to test/measure? Can the scale be used across vendors or is it vendor specific?

colins

Documented in the CCM Catalog. I am not sure what calculation or specifications they are using.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, colins said:

I have to say - that tongue system looks brilliant. If the mechanism holds up to regular wear and tear what a great feature to be able to swap tongues out quickly and easily.

colins

My thoughts exactly. Very interesting design. Hope it proves to be durable, otherwise it could be more trouble than it's worth even. 

Edited by Miller55

On 8/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, boo10 said:

@JR Boucicaut, wondering if you found that the boot opened up at all post bake?  I found that the AS3 felt shorter than the 9090 in the same size pre bake.

It did.  Not drastically for me as I didn't seem to stray too much from the fit.  I'll do a 2nd bake after I skate in them a couple of times just because that's been my routine.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:29 AM, Vet88 said:

Anyone want to comment on the sizing, especially in relation to an AS1?

For length I fit a Jetspeed 5.5, a Supreme 6. I have an AS1 6 and it is definitely 1/2 a size too small, my toes aren't just brushing but pressing hard against the toe cap. I have an opportunity to get some AS3 pros in a 6 but am reluctant to given how the AS1 was sized.

Look at your holder size in these situations.  Despite whatever the boot size would be, the holder size won't lie.  I know that I am always the first skate that accommodates a 296 holder.  11 CCM, 11 Bauer Vapor.

The lone exception is Bauer Supreme.  I was  a 10.5 in a Supreme.  The old fit profile allowed me to drop down a half-size and I would go with a D and that would put me in a 288.  But if you remember, starting with ONE90 you had the Power steel which was 8 mm longer, which would equate into...boom, a 296.  The smaller holder was put on that skate.  No idea what I'm in now as I've haven't tried on a Supreme skate in a couple of years nor do I know what fit profile I would even be.

So, just look at your holder size (or even just pay attention to the shoe sizing/Euro size) because those things will be constant.

On 8/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, colins said:

Are the fit of these still similar to the originals Tacks reboot? For a Bauer guy coming over, these would be the choice for someone who's foot fits a Supreme profile? 

Yep - still a similar fit.  I'd say so.

17 hours ago, colins said:

There are some references to them on certain skates on their site; on the 80k and AS3.  I would venture to say it'll be on the new Jetspeed models.

16 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Do you happen to know the stiffness rating of the original 2016 Super Tacks?

I would say similar to AS2.  The AS3 Pro is considerably stiffer.

On 8/30/2020 at 12:01 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Maybe I need to start eating more so I put on some weight or I should spend more time at the gym bulking 😉

Just get fat like I did. LOL

17 hours ago, colins said:

I have to say - that tongue system looks brilliant. If the mechanism holds up to regular wear and tear what a great feature to be able to swap tongues out quickly and easily.colins

I can't really see it failing - there's nothing weight-bearing or anything that would pull it apart as much isn't required to keep it in place.  Nor will it wear out like a hook and loop application would (getting snagged on a sock or shifting.)  

56 minutes ago, Hills said:

Did you feel the tongue system digging into your foot at all? I had that issue when trying them on.

I did not.  I would think that if someone did, they must have too much volume in that particular area or the toebox isn't tall enough.

6 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Look at your holder size in these situations.  Despite whatever the boot size would be, the holder size won't lie.  I know that I am always the first skate that accommodates a 296 holder.  11 CCM, 11 Bauer Vapor.

The lone exception is Bauer Supreme.  I was  a 10.5 in a Supreme.  The old fit profile allowed me to drop down a half-size and I would go with a D and that would put me in a 288.  But if you remember, starting with ONE90 you had the Power steel which was 8 mm longer, which would equate into...boom, a 296.  The smaller holder was put on that skate.  No idea what I'm in now as I've haven't tried on a Supreme skate in a couple of years nor do I know what fit profile I would even be.

So, just look at your holder size (or even just pay attention to the shoe sizing/Euro size) because those things will be constant.

Supremes, Vapours, Jetspeeeds, grafs - 254. AS1 speedblade 255.

For Euro sizing - Supreme 40, Jetspeed 39, AS1 40.5

So the AS1, on paper, is the larger holder and Euro size yet it's the smallest fit of every size 6 (or equivalent) skate I have ever tried. And it's not just me, my son is in size 6D mx3's, he can't wear them. 2 other people who can wear a 5.5 Jetspeed and 6 Supreme tried them and found them to short for length.

5 minutes ago, sharkshockey20 said:

In theory could I drill holes into my current skates toe cap and put in XS tongues?

Yes, I think someone on this board mentioned that they saw someone do that.

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Yes, I think someone on this board mentioned that they saw someone do that.

That was me. I have seen people using CCM XS tongues on TRUE and various CCM skates. I have not seen any Bauer skates with them yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

That was me. I have seen people using CCM XS tongues on TRUE and various CCM skates. I have not seen any Bauer skates with them yet. 

As skates start to have more swapable parts, I think we're going to start seeing more Frankenskates.  I saw a pair of 1S on a second-hand site, that had a Jetspeed tongue and CXN holders.  It just looked super weird.

54 minutes ago, boo10 said:

As skates start to have more swapable parts, I think we're going to start seeing more Frankenskates.  I saw a pair of 1S on a second-hand site, that had a Jetspeed tongue and CXN holders.  It just looked super weird.

Sounds like the seller used them and then wanted to sell them but keep the holders/steel, and maybe an aftermarket tongue, so they just swapped whatever parts they had laying around in a bin. lol

• Like 1

Hey guys, was looking through this thread and wondering - would the FT1s be more similar in stiffness to the AS3? I really can't see the benefit of a super stiff skate like the AS3 pro, being a light guy.