Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
robbjbyoung

Profiling options in the UK/Europe

I've got tired of the uneven and inconsistent sharpening that often comes from my local shop (and the only place that I can get myself to without taking a day off work), as the blade's profile itself now is completely off compared to how it came stock, and doesn't appear to be intentionally profiled.

The other concern I have is that I have two pairs of Bauer holder STEP Blacksteels, which are now a limited commodity, and so am looking to have them re-profiled, knowing that if they are mangled up there isn't much a store could do to replace them, even if they wanted to.

Are there places in the UK/EU that would be able to do this, and what should I expect the cost to be? I'm not looking to tinker massively, just "reset" for the start of the season before my team's SPARX machines arrive to keep them as they are. I realize the majority of people on this site are in NA, but hopefully some of the info would carry over the Atlantic.

I’m waiting for our ProSharp machine to arrive after which we will launch a mail in profiling service (out of the Netherlands). End of next month we should go live with our website.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2020 at 6:13 AM, robbjbyoung said:

I've got tired of the uneven and inconsistent sharpening that often comes from my local shop (and the only place that I can get myself to without taking a day off work), as the blade's profile itself now is completely off compared to how it came stock, and doesn't appear to be intentionally profiled.

The other concern I have is that I have two pairs of Bauer holder STEP Blacksteels, which are now a limited commodity, and so am looking to have them re-profiled, knowing that if they are mangled up there isn't much a store could do to replace them, even if they wanted to.

Are there places in the UK/EU that would be able to do this, and what should I expect the cost to be? I'm not looking to tinker massively, just "reset" for the start of the season before my team's SPARX machines arrive to keep them as they are. I realize the majority of people on this site are in NA, but hopefully some of the info would carry over the Atlantic.

https://www.prosharp.fi/pages.php?page=luistinhuoltopalvelu

https://www.terapiste.fi/en/product/teran-muotoilu/

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:35 PM, nummer55 said:

I’m waiting for our ProSharp machine to arrive after which we will launch a mail in profiling service (out of the Netherlands). End of next month we should go live with our website.

Great, link pls 🙂

Greetings from Luxembourg

On 9/8/2020 at 2:09 AM, koresh38 said:

I profile my runners with Greg at Puckstop Sheffield. They have a Prosharp there. And Blackstone to sharpen the blades if you need FBV. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, Left Wing King said:

Puckstop in Sheffield have a Sparx I believe. 

This has been the way I went with this. It's frustrating that Puckstop don't state all their services and options online, but they were very happy to explain the services they can do once I sent them an email. Thanks both.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robbjbyoung said:

This has been the way I went with this. It's frustrating that Puckstop don't state all their services and options online, but they were very happy to explain the services they can do once I sent them an email. Thanks both.

Glad to hear your questions were answered, i'll be sure to get the services listed online, appreciate the feedback!

Beware, be very careful with ASE-Hockey: I bought two pairs of original Bauer LS2 runners from the most reputable Bauer distributor in Europe, which I then sent on in their original packaging to ASE Hockey for profiling. They sent it back in a week's time (around the time the autumn lockdown started), but it turns out that one of the LS2 runners they sent was a cheap knock-off made of some soft steel. The Bauer factory markers were missing on one of the pairs, the runners even have a different look, and they started to corrode in just a few days, loosing the edge after a single skate, etc.

When I questioned ASE and demanded my original runners (Eur 70) to be returned, they denied to have swapped it for a test blade (they keep already profiled blades for tryouts, as they are right next to a rink) and blamed the official Bauer distributor! These con artists at ASE think that it is reasonable to believe that an official Bauer distributor would first produce a cheap knock-off, and then put it into a perfectly sealed original (expensive to make) Bauer packaging. Or that it is reasonable for an official Bauer distributor to send one pair of cheap knock-off, and another pair of original Bauer LS2s side-by-side. Right.

The nail in liar ASE's coffin was that the cheap knock-off steel was also darker on the runner side, indicating dozens of rushed sharpenings at too high temperature i.e. the fake blades were not only knock-offs, but were also in heavy use beforehand. Now I know that this lockdown is not particularly good for most businesses, and that ASE Hockey saw an opportunity to swap it out and hoped to get away. But to try to make an extra Eur 70 by stealing from their customers is certainly not the way to make the best out of this pandemic.

Never do business with ASE Hockey again🤨

Check out Sportverkstan.com it’s à Swedish hockey repair shop who offer sharpenings by order. They are considered as nr 1 in Sweden, and hired by most SHL teams for customization of gear.

also, check out their facebook page, and send them a message if you have any questions.

Edited by swede

Everglides in Gosport have several automated ProSharp machines, which preserve the profile and I believe they can profile runners too. I think SkateStation can profile runners. They do good manual sharpens too. 

I no longer trust manual sharpens, one is fine assuming a competent operator, but over time they ruin the profile. I had runners that became flat after a year, one sharpen every fortnight. I don’t believe any person has the skill to preserve the profile, and if they do, they are few and far between. It’s hard enough finding someone who gets level edges. 

The new Sparx machine can be bought direct from Sparx at a very reasonable price. 

Gospit used to be my local rink, I was very happy with them, up in the North West, Deeside, Alty and Widness, there is a guy called Kip, does it all out of his van, comes to your house, or rink. Not used him yet but he is on FB.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:17 AM, AJ0005 said:

Beware, be very careful with ASE-Hockey: I bought two pairs of original Bauer LS2 runners from the most reputable Bauer distributor in Europe, which I then sent on in their original packaging to ASE Hockey for profiling. They sent it back in a week's time (around the time the autumn lockdown started), but it turns out that one of the LS2 runners they sent was a cheap knock-off made of some soft steel. The Bauer factory markers were missing on one of the pairs, the runners even have a different look, and they started to corrode in just a few days, loosing the edge after a single skate, etc.

When I questioned ASE and demanded my original runners (Eur 70) to be returned, they denied to have swapped it for a test blade (they keep already profiled blades for tryouts, as they are right next to a rink) and blamed the official Bauer distributor! These con artists at ASE think that it is reasonable to believe that an official Bauer distributor would first produce a cheap knock-off, and then put it into a perfectly sealed original (expensive to make) Bauer packaging. Or that it is reasonable for an official Bauer distributor to send one pair of cheap knock-off, and another pair of original Bauer LS2s side-by-side. Right.

The nail in liar ASE's coffin was that the cheap knock-off steel was also darker on the runner side, indicating dozens of rushed sharpenings at too high temperature i.e. the fake blades were not only knock-offs, but were also in heavy use beforehand. Now I know that this lockdown is not particularly good for most businesses, and that ASE Hockey saw an opportunity to swap it out and hoped to get away. But to try to make an extra Eur 70 by stealing from their customers is certainly not the way to make the best out of this pandemic.

Never do business with ASE Hockey again🤨

I ordered a pair of step runners profiled with ellipse zero for my True TF7 from ASE -Hockey. They had been sent by mail four working days later and arrived yesterday. The grinding and profiling was done with good craftsmanship. The runners are looking like unused originals, as far as i could compare them with pictures from the web. And the price is good for europe.