Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JV23

Transition from youth to junior skates - as easy as Ribcor 70k to 78k?

Hi everyone,

”Little man” is in 13.5Y Ribcor 70ks and is starting to make some grumbling noises about feeling the ends of his skates.  He switched from the Jetspeeds to Ribcor at about size 12Y, and finds them a lot more comfortable.  Now that it’s a jump to junior sizing, would it be crazy thinking to keep a good thing rolling with the Ribcor line?  Reason I am asking is trying to get feedback is nigh on impossible other than “Good...I guess”, and I’d hate to jump him to the EE Vapors that the Bauer machine says are the closest fit and have him complain 2 months in...

The best Ribcor I can find in his size are the 78K junior, which looking at price are quite affordable (as compared to the Vapor 2X or even the 2.9) or the other two CCM lines.  I’m not at all adverse to paying less but my concern is whether I am somehow getting less skate for the money.  He’s on ice usually 6 days per week...

He’s got a  wide forefoot, high instep, narrow heel - about 75 lbs right now...  any impartial wisdom before I start hitting LHS’s?  

Thanks for any wisdom!

1 hour ago, JV23 said:

Hi everyone,

”Little man” is in 13.5Y Ribcor 70ks and is starting to make some grumbling noises about feeling the ends of his skates.  He switched from the Jetspeeds to Ribcor at about size 12Y, and finds them a lot more comfortable.  Now that it’s a jump to junior sizing, would it be crazy thinking to keep a good thing rolling with the Ribcor line?  Reason I am asking is trying to get feedback is nigh on impossible other than “Good...I guess”, and I’d hate to jump him to the EE Vapors that the Bauer machine says are the closest fit and have him complain 2 months in...

The best Ribcor I can find in his size are the 78K junior, which looking at price are quite affordable (as compared to the Vapor 2X or even the 2.9) or the other two CCM lines.  I’m not at all adverse to paying less but my concern is whether I am somehow getting less skate for the money.  He’s on ice usually 6 days per week...

He’s got a  wide forefoot, high instep, narrow heel - about 75 lbs right now...  any impartial wisdom before I start hitting LHS’s?  

Thanks for any wisdom!

CCM has the 90-day satisfaction guarantee so you can't go wrong with any of their skates.

Yup, and the pricing on the Ribcor line makes it a much easier pill to swallow.

I wouldn't say the Ribcor is less of a skate. It's a different skate. If he's happy and comfortable why change...

There is a noticeable change in stiffness when transitioning from a youth skate to a junior.  I normally don't like to put anyone in a skate stiffer than a 3S, X2.9, 9380, or 76K.  For example 2X and 3S Pro are stiff, composite boots (nice skates, but could be too stiff for that transition). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

There is a noticeable change in stiffness when transitioning from a youth skate to a junior.  I normally don't like to put anyone in a skate stiffer than a 3S, X2.9, 9380, or 76K.  For example 2X and 3S Pro are stiff, composite boots (nice skates, but could be too stiff for that transition). 

Thanks.  That’s good context.