Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mojo122

CCM Super Tacks X Helmet

Very cool. I love the 910 so if they can make it fit even better, decrease the weight, or make it have a higher level of protection, I am stoked. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

As someone who works in the 3D printing formulation field, obviously I’m going to have to pick one of these up! Maybe I can convince the boss I need one for research purposes 🙂 

Carbon and adidas already are collaborating in footwear, so this was probably just a matter of time! 

Edited by Stewie

The cost to manufacture and MSRP will have no correlation, plus AM can be substantially cheaper than traditional manufacturing, though that is not always a given.  Honestly, the biggest thing I would be interested in is the huge potential for airflow.

I'm guessing this technology won't be available with the lower cost helmets as it relates to manufacturing costs, so helmets with regular closed cell foam will still be around for awhile.

Meh... 0/10. Needs more bass and tornado siren.

Seriously though, while better protection and airflow make this a good marriage of technology (at least on paper), I'm definitely a bit apprehensive about how this thing will be priced. Those 3D printed Adidas shoes that were mentioned above? You need to secure at least two credit references to buy a pair.

2 hours ago, Burning Bear said:

Meh... 0/10. Needs more bass and tornado siren.

Seriously though, while better protection and airflow make this a good marriage of technology (at least on paper), I'm definitely a bit apprehensive about how this thing will be priced. Those 3D printed Adidas shoes that were mentioned above? You need to secure at least two credit references to buy a pair.

The 4D printed Adidas shoes are about $450 which I dont think is ridiculous. Not saying that is super affordable but for a nice fitting helmet that also breathes well and lasts 4-5 years, I would gladly spend $450.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

14 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The 4D printed Adidas shoes are about $450 which I dont think is ridiculous. Not saying that is super affordable but for a nice fitting helmet that also breathes well and lasts 4-5 years, I would gladly spend $450.

Seriously? I dunno man, I did fine with the 4500 for a long time. The biggest tech leap I made was from the 4500 to the e700 and I have a few of those stockpiled, but I could never see spending 450 on a helmet. Not because I don't think it's important but because I don't totally see how the performance is that much better to justify the price tag. My .02. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Seriously? I dunno man, I did fine with the 4500 for a long time. The biggest tech leap I made was from the 4500 to the e700 and I have a few of those stockpiled, but I could never see spending 450 on a helmet. Not because I don't think it's important but because I don't totally see how the performance is that much better to justify the price tag. My .02. 

I got the 910 helmet this year and it was $210 USD and I feel it was worth it. I haven't had a helmet fit as well since the E700. Plus it breathes nicely and looks good too. If this helmet fit even better, was lighter and is likely even more breathable I would happily spend the money.

9 minutes ago, Burning Bear said:

giphy.gif

In a world where shoes can cost thousands of dollars and not even be custom, I think a fully custom shoe for $450 isn't nuts. 

https://www.footshop.eu/blog/the-worlds-17-most-expensive-sneakers-2020/

31 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I got the 910 helmet this year and it was $210 USD and I feel it was worth it. I haven't had a helmet fit as well since the E700. Plus it breathes nicely and looks good too. If this helmet fit even better, was lighter and is likely even more breathable I would happily spend the money.

I hear. I dunno, I'm pretty happy with the e700, never tried on the 910, but the 3ds felt ok. If you have the money, by all means, but for me I'm happy with what works. With skates and sticks, I'll spend to try new stuff, for gloves, if I like them I will get them, but protective, of it fits i don't mess with it.

The price of the shoes in that blog have absolutely zero to do with performance, you are in an entirely different universe of rationale and tax bracket for why someone would buy those.

Are these helmets actually being 3D printed on demand to fit your head?  I think we’re getting into the first world hockey problems here, I don’t even notice my helmet once I am playing and it is just a Re-Akt 95.

Kid: ”But moommmm, I neeed that helmet to go along with my Super Duper Hybrid Max Kickpoint Slapper Stick and No Such Thing As Too Stiff Skates!!!!

Mom: ”But Billy, you’re only 7....”

Kid: “I want it!”

Store Employee: “It will give him the best protection from concussions and be comfortable since he’s on the ice, did you say nine times a week?”

Mom: “Well, ok...”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

The price of the shoes in that blog have absolutely zero to do with performance, you are in an entirely different universe of rationale and tax bracket for why someone would buy those.

Are these helmets actually being 3D printed on demand to fit your head?  I think we’re getting into the first world hockey problems here, I don’t even notice my helmet once I am playing and it is just a Re-Akt 95.

Kid: ”But moommmm, I neeed that helmet to go along with my Super Duper Hybrid Max Kickpoint Slapper Stick and No Such Thing As Too Stiff Skates!!!!

Mom: ”But Billy, you’re only 7....”

Kid: “I want it!”

Store Employee: “It will give him the best protection from concussions and be comfortable since he’s on the ice, did you say nine times a week?”

Mom: “Well, ok...”

The point I am making with that blog is that shoes can be very expensive. We are talking about retail shoes, not even custom shoes or shoes that offer performance benefits. Pricing is all subjective to each consumer. What is costly to me might not be costly to others, and vice versa. 

I think we all agree that players should wear a helmet that fits them best. 

Too many players wear a helmet that "feels good" on their head or provides lightweight or good airflow but does not properly fit them. I have also seen players also pick a helmet based entirely on its looks ignoring the functionality. This issue becomes even more complicated for younger players. They don't know how a helmet should fit or feel and many times the pro shops don't fit the younger players properly. 

For example, there was an association that I did team sales for that would only offer one brand of helmets in a single specific model. They didn't want their kids wearing anything other than that specific brand and specific model. The problem is that the helmet brand and model likely doesn't fit every single player. Even after trying to educate them on these facts they didn't care and wanted only one brand and one model made available to the kids. 

I don't think the price should be the main concern if you provide a helmet that checks off all of these boxes. I also am not going to worry about pricing until CCM releases such. For all we know the helmet might not be that much more than a standard 910.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Those custom $450 shoes aren't even comparable for this discussion.

Adidas makes shoes with a 4D printed outsole, exactly like this, that don't cost any more than the top tier running shoe with their advanced foam tech (Boost).  Advanced foams are expensive.  They are used sparingly in small sections of the helmet.  That requires multiple types of foams and materials to be sourced and then all of them assembled.  A "4D" printed interior may reduce the number of materials and assembly time needed and keep the price in line.  I'm sure it will be slightly higher because well, fancy new tech.  But it's doubtful it will be double the current price of the top of the line helmet.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

The issue I'd be more concerned about is if this tech actually proves itself. How many times have we all seen a new helmet design that's supposed to have new tech and it ends up being the same old thing with a more aerodynamic, space case look and some marketing mumbo jumbo. I for one am very sceptical of all of these things and would just rather use what I'm used to. Not interested in being a test dummy. Even when I went to the e700 it was after borrowing one from someone else for a bit and I don't think I paid more than 75 bucks for one.

Edited by Miller55

On 9/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, markush said:

How do they compare in weight to E700?

I'd be surprised if you can find anything lighter than the E700, but I also haven't bought any newer helmet models since the last 2014-5(ish?) E700s I bought

• Like 1

The lightweight design is definitely great of the E700 but ventilation is really bad. And I see a good potential that this new structure / approach in helmet design should also be able to provide lightweight specs. Hopefully we get them soon. 

I use the E700 for ice and roller and actually think the ventilation is pretty good. The pads do soak up quite a bit of sweat; so you definitely have to air it out/put it on a dryer. I feel it breathes better than my old Bauer IMS 7.0; the Bauer didn't retain the sweat in the padding though. 

Having said that, the new CCM Super Tacks X does look super breathable. The structure of the foam on the Super Tacks X seems like it would be lighter than the average high end helmet and way more breathable, but I doubt it'll approach the weight of the E700. I hope I'm wrong though.  I think the companies are more focused on protection than weight.

I'm not saying the E700 isn't protective; I think the protection in the E700 is solid if it fits you well as I've been hit in the head hard with a slap shot while wearing an E700 and it cracked the helmet, but I didn't get a concussion or even any bruising. I retired that helmet and replaced it with another E700. I just think the primary focus on new helmet designs is protection and not weight and they're willing to add weight if they believe it will be more protective. It'd be great if another company produced a protective helmet that's as light or lighter than the E700.  

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

🍿

y'all gonna be in for a treat next summer if you're in for a new bucket and don't care about dropping as much on your brain as you do for sticks. Except those that won't pay retail for sticks; but you're in a v08 or 4500 anyways. 

I thought the price was $450-500 USD? 

I’m surprised at how many pros I’ve seen in this bucket already. Gotta imagine that’s a good sign and I’m hopeful that pro stock helmets will make their way out for a little cheaper. They appear to adjust in the middle like the V08 rather than the back like the Tacks 110 which is also a plus since the Tacks helmets pinch the back of my head 

Edited by Westside