Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mojo122

CCM Super Tacks X Helmet

A $400 helmet will reduce concussions better than a normal helmet. 

.....because the buyer will have less money to spend on actually playing. Finally, a groundbreaking innovation in helmet safety.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Bringing back an oldie...

I am starting to see pro-stock version on sideline for reasonable money, sub $300US. I'm curious if anyone has tried them yet and what are your thoughts. I'm currently wearing a Tacks 710 that's getting a bit mangy on the inside.

I’ve been wearing a Super Tacks X helmet for the last 8 months or so. Was able to find a new pro stock for just over $200 in my color/size and couldn’t be happier. Extremely breathable, easily the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn, and I hit my head on the ice a few weeks back and it did a good job protecting me from the impact. I’d never pay retail for one, but $200-250? I’ve spent that on worse 

Edited by Westside

I had a pro stock one I got for under $200 but, unfortunately, found out they run noticeably smaller than the 910's which share the same shell (I'm a small 910 and have it adjusted about half way, in the Tacks X I was all the way out as big as it could go and barely squeezed in).  I tried mine out and squeezed into it for one skate and it felt great as far as weight and airflow, I just wish It was a little bit bigger (I had the hex pattern pressed onto my head for quite some time afterwards 🤣).  I'd still love one but most I see are in the $250+ range which is more than I'm willing to spend, I'll stick to my 910's for now.

6 hours ago, stick9 said:

Bringing back an oldie...

I am starting to see pro-stock version on sideline for reasonable money, sub $300US. I'm curious if anyone has tried them yet and what are your thoughts. I'm currently wearing a Tacks 710 that's getting a bit mangy on the inside.

I have two, and I like them a lot. I think the custom version is in my future. To me they fit the best out of any retail helmet but there are a few things I think that could be fixed with a custom printed one. 

my biggest issue with the helmet is that I do have some concern over how good the protection is after longer term usage. I’m finding the printed matrix starting to deform in areas. I also feel like the carbon resin they use to print them is a bit too soft, particularly after playing for a while when the material gets warmer and more pliable. 

Guess my question would be how much better is the fit/comfort with the custom X over the retail?  Both the My Bauer ReAkt and CCM Tacks X are pricey ($550/$580 USD). The majority of consumers don't even want to pay $220 for the ReAkt 150.  

On 5/26/2023 at 7:19 PM, mojo122 said:

Guess my question would be how much better is the fit/comfort with the custom X over the retail?  Both the My Bauer ReAkt and CCM Tacks X are pricey ($550/$580 USD). The majority of consumers don't even want to pay $220 for the ReAkt 150.  

The custom is the most comfortable helmet by far that I have ever worn. It just fits your head perfectly and is better fitting than the custom goalie helmets I have as well.

With the custom, there is 0 pressure points or pieces of liner that you can feel just doesn't sit perfectly. Going from retail to custom was a similar if not more of a jump in comfort going from a standard helmet to the SuperTacks X retail.

4 hours ago, Hills said:

The custom is the most comfortable helmet by far that I have ever worn. It just fits your head perfectly and is better fitting than the custom goalie helmets I have as well.

With the custom, there is 0 pressure points or pieces of liner that you can feel just doesn't sit perfectly. Going from retail to custom was a similar if not more of a jump in comfort going from a standard helmet to the SuperTacks X retail.

Agreed 100%

As some who pushed off getting custom skates due them being being "too expensive" and subsequently regretting that original thought process, I've grown to appreciate the "Custom" route that is more readily available for us on the retail side. At the end of the day, comfort is critical for the enjoyment/safety/performance of the sport. I'm sure there are people who've had issue after issue with stock helmets over the years and finally have a viable option: I'm all for that. 

• Like 1

You guys are a bad influence.  Someone I know had a medium Super Tacks X helmet FS and I picked it up for $150, hopefully sizing up fits better than the small I had originally tried.

I am considering a custom helmet. How is the weight of a custom helmet vs retail?  I have a retail and it feels heavy when you hold it, but don’t really notice it when I’m wearing it

On 2/20/2024 at 5:45 PM, jeffg said:

I am considering a custom helmet. How is the weight of a custom helmet vs retail?  I have a retail and it feels heavy when you hold it, but don’t really notice it when I’m wearing it

I think the weight of a helmet is irrelevant. Its more important how it fits and that its comfortable. I would rather protect my brain than save 100 grams of weight. 

I have a custom and a retail.  I don't notice the difference in weight, except that one has a visor vs a cage.  If I had to guess, I would think the custom is slightly heavier, cause it has a more dense 3d lattice vs the retail version.  I would highly recommend the custom though over the retail, cause for the price difference, the custom is a much better helmet imho.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I have a custom and a retail.  I don't notice the difference in weight, except that one has a visor vs a cage.  If I had to guess, I would think the custom is slightly heavier, cause it has a more dense 3d lattice vs the retail version.  I would highly recommend the custom though over the retail, cause for the price difference, the custom is a much better helmet imho.

Agreed.