Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

CCM Virtual Skate Fitting

This seems like a middle finger to hockey shops who carry their skates.
I know, I know, it serves all the people who don’t live near a (competent) shop.  Feels like they are taking away the only weapon small shops have vs online stores, which is the personalized fitting. So, now you get fit online and order with free returns online, and how does a brick and mortar store compete?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, start_today said:

I know, I know, it serves all the people who don’t live near a (competent) shop.  Feels like they are taking away the only weapon small shops have vs online stores, which is the personalized fitting. So, now you get fit online and order with free returns online, and how does a brick and mortar store compete?

Pretty much continuing the trend of manufactures trying to cut out the middleman and transition to direct sales.

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

Wow, that is cool.  It would be so great to get fitted by someone you know has a clue.

If you're getting fit by someone who doesn't have a clue then I'd say the blame lies with the manufacturers and their sales reps for not teaching the shops that they sell to.  

25 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

If you're getting fit by someone who doesn't have a clue then I'd say the blame lies with the manufacturers and their sales reps for not teaching the shops that they sell to.  

I'm not getting into the argument of whose fault it is, I am just saying that it is a crap shoot when you go to a store.

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I havent seen CCM really advertise this. Not sure specifically how it works but the premise is interesting. 

https://ccmhockey.com/en/virtualskatefitting

Well, it didn't say custom skate fitting. I'm guessing they can use the foot's length and width to get the closest fitting skate, but I'm not sure how they figure out volume of foot in order to suggest an appropriate model.

4 hours ago, start_today said:

They learn how to actually fit...

Can’t imagine this is meant to be deployed at a volume that would have much of an Impact on store sales.  If some of the people here didn’t know about it the average consumer isn’t going to u less they are just rolling this out.

5 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Pretty much continuing the trend of manufactures trying to cut out the middleman and transition to direct sales.

Well, CCM already confirmed they are going direct to consumer just like Bauer did.....

22 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Well, CCM already confirmed they are going direct to consumer just like Bauer did.....

Gotta stay in the game. Hey, at least STX actually charges less for direct to consumer. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine this would replace in-store fittings, might be good for someone who is pretty good in retail skates but has one or two things they need help with and don't want to go custom.  Plus, if people on this board just found out about it, can't imagine the general populace is going to know about it, depending on how they promote it.  

I see both sides of the argument but me living in a hockey desert, I think it's fantastic. I was fitted by a store manager at a major retailer for my True skates and they still had to remake the pair. I think cutting out the store (and people who may or may not know their ass from a whole in the ground) is great, especially for people like me who have all kinds of foot and and ankle issues that I wish I could have been fitted like this with True.

I also live in a state with literally two places you can buy hockey gear. One, is very good for repairs and things like this, the one five minutes from my house literally doesn't have a single person working in there that has ever played hockey so I would never in a million years trust them to fit me for custom skates, even if they offered it (they screw up Sparx sharpenings). I had to plan and schedule my True fitting when I was several states away for work. For those of us that don't live in Minnesota or Ontario, this is a welcomed innovation.

20 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Not necessarily.  Not every store employee gets direct PK from a manufacturer.  Some get training version geared towards selling or training designed in-house.

Also, keep in mind most of these employees don't have anything vested and won't care anyway.

But Peck cared when he worked for me, and look at him now!  LOL

• Like 1

1. Thos would be for retail fits only.

2. Everyone mentioned, I do not see any retail expiernece. You can work at the office and have played and still have no clue what your doing. 

3. Only 3 people for 1000's who might want this. 🙈

4. What if it's the totally wrong fit? Who do you complain to? Do you have to book an appointment? 

As mentioned above a manager did a fit and was still wrong. 

I get for out of the way areas it's not a bad idea. I started doing this at the end of Corebeam and the beginning of MS. It was way to much work for the time needed for each customer. 

If I was CCM or Bauer and they were paying me the right money maybe. But nothing beats the fit and feel. 

If this is actually a PRE Fit for before going in a store to purchase and was sold like that well then that would be a good idea. Pay $50 and get $25 off your purchase. A total win win. 

As its advertised... 🥴

Hmm, I don't know. With the right tech I think it could actually work, and work well. 

How is it any different then what True is doing with their custom process?

I'm sure the last thing CCM wants is a bunch of pissed off customers and a pile of returns.

I just did a survey for CCM where they had me test an online tool that is in development.  Takes about five minutes to go through the questions.  It asks questions about your current skate, what you like or don't like about it, stiffness of boot preference,etc.  Shows some pics of foot shape, instep height and asks you to identify which is closest to your foot.  when you're done, it will recommend a skate for you, with 2nd best and 3rd best as well.  Overall not a bad tool for someone who knows a little bit about skates, but probably not great for someone with little knowledge.

At the end it recommended the correct line for me, but suggested a size that was too big for me.  In fairness, I'm pretty sure I know which of my answers caused that result, but the question needs to be rephrased.

I can see in the near future that they would just have you upload a few pics of your feet, and an AI will analyze and give you a recommendation.

16 minutes ago, boo10 said:

I just did a survey for CCM where they had me test an online tool that is in development.  Takes about five minutes to go through the questions.  It asks questions about your current skate, what you like or don't like about it, stiffness of boot preference,etc.  Shows some pics of foot shape, instep height and asks you to identify which is closest to your foot.  when you're done, it will recommend a skate for you, with 2nd best and 3rd best as well.  Overall not a bad tool for someone who knows a little bit about skates, but probably not great for someone with little knowledge.

At the end it recommended the correct line for me, but suggested a size that was too big for me.  In fairness, I'm pretty sure I know which of my answers caused that result, but the question needs to be rephrased.

I can see in the near future that they would just have you upload a few pics of your feet, and an AI will analyze and give you a recommendation.

A combination of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence could easily make sense of all of this. It's actually not that complicated of an algorithm to get a "standard foot" sized properly.

The problem is when players have "hot spots", sensitive areas, or bone/muscle/cartilage protrusions that cause issues. 

I imagine in the not so far off future that stores will be provided these tools or at least these tools will be made available at a lower cost than currently. The cost right now to get a custom scanner from CCM or Bauer is absolutely ridiculous. 

Especially with hardware like the iPad evolving so rapidly. No we just need the software to catch up. 

18 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

2. Everyone mentioned, I do not see any retail expiernece. You can work at the office and have played and still have no clue what your doing. 

Mike Peck (CCM FaST Manager) worked for me before going to CCM.  Kenny worked retail as well and can fit skates.

I think the average consumer automatically assumes that since they work for the company, they're instantly experts.  While I completely agree with the 2nd part of that statement, but with these two, it's not the case.

18 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I get for out of the way areas it's not a bad idea. I started doing this at the end of Corebeam and the beginning of MS. It was way to much work for the time needed for each customer. 

I'm with you on that.  I stopped doing that because I truly didn't think that I would be able to fully dial in the fit remotely.

A manufacturer last year asked me if I was interested in analyzing scans.  I said sure but nothing ever came of it.

13 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I'm with you on that.  I stopped doing that because I truly didn't think that I would be able to fully dial in the fit remotely.

A manufacturer last year asked me if I was interested in analyzing scans.  I said sure but nothing ever came of it.

If I was CCM I'd be putting that in the Bio. 

Just saying.

So I did this a few weeks ago. I didn't know what to expect, but I figured it was worth a shot considering I'm in the market for new skates (as much as you can be when only skating once a week during COVID). I've been skating in Ribcors pretty much since the Reebok 9Ks days. I love the way they fit right of the box, but I always had the same issue with them - after about 2 years, the boot will crease just under the lace lock and the eyelet just below it will stretch and break. I'm considering a stiffer boot now, but I have no interest in paying $600+ for a pair skates that will do that in 2 years anymore. (Admittedly, I don't know how long skates are supposed to last, but my old Bauer Supremes 4500 (or whatever) never creased, just brokedown after 6+ years. Before COVID I was skating about 3-4 times a week. I just feel like at 5'6" 130lbs wet I shouldn't be creasing skates, despite skating pretty hard on them.)

I had my virtual fitting with Mike Peck. We talked about my skate issue and the different fits between the lines. It was actually quite helpful in understanding why my boot may be creasing (too tight above the lace lock and not tight enough below it), but also getting a better understanding of the skate features at difference price points. Eventually Mike stated he'd get me in contact with Ken Carlquist who would then help me try out some loaners.

I emailed Ken and told him I'm only doing training sessions once a week, but would love to try out some skates. He asked which local store I typically shop at and within a day he had four pairs of skates waiting for me: FT2s and 80Ks each in two sizes. He stated figure out which size fit best, have them baked, and then take them for a week. Super easy.

I tried them both and within the hour I knew which I liked best. I returned the skates and Ken said that when I'm ready to buy they'll order them in the store (as in I'd buy them from that store).

Overall the experience was great - I had my weird foot and skate questions answered and I got to try out skates to really know which I liked better (though I should have tried the AS3s as well).

Note: the 80Ks flexed in the same place as my previous skates. Definitely need something stiffer.

Second note: This had nothing to do with their custom fitted skates. I never asked; it never came up.

Edited by baskinov43
  • Like 3