Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Hello AS3 Pro's bye Vapes

Well...my Vapor 2x Pros are gone.  I liked them but we never bonded. For coaching they were fine, but the Tacks line just feels like part of my body when I put them on.

Ran in to a dude who just got his AS3's, tried them on, decided they were too stiff, and put them back in the box unbaked. He asked me how I liked the Vapes and I said...meh.  He offered to trade...hell yeah!

So today I had the AS3 Pro's baked and punched.  Gotta say...as good as the AS1's feel...these feel even better.  Same fit...softer inside, which is good for me cuz I had a busted left ankle, so I've got a s**t show going on there (hence the punch-outs).  I don't feel anything uncomfortable about the tounge attachment point so far.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll take them for a slide and let you know how they do.

Also grabbed a next-to-new pair of 80k's for dirt cheap...looking forward to trying them too. I know...lots of skates, but 6-7 times a week...if I don't rotate my skates...I'm hurting. Anywaze...

I was just about to start a thread about AS3 Pros, how funny. Anyway, I just ordered the new AS3 Pro goalie skates. Figured I'd give them a shot before I go True Custom since they have the whole guarantee thing. Unfortunately the Pure Hockey I went to had NO goalie stuff yet, and didn't even have any scanners online besides Bauer at this point because their Grand Opening isn't even until next week. Hard to fault them for that. So, they scanned me on the Bauer machine just to get my size, and we ordered them and I'll go have em baked when they arrive. We'll see!

I will say...I'm a CCM fan, but pretty cheezy not to include Orthomove footbeds in $1,000 skates.  I know not everyone likes them, but I do.  Those Ortholite fb's are crap.  Just Dr. Scholls with a CCM logo...unless I am missing something. 

Still...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jbear said:

I will say...I'm a CCM fan, but pretty cheezy not to include Orthomove footbeds in $1,000 skates.  I know not everyone likes them, but I do.  Those Ortholite fb's are crap.  Just Dr. Scholls with a CCM logo...unless I am missing something. 

Still...

Those just look like Superfeet with an adjustable arch support. Are they bakeable? I was thinking if the CCMs work for me I was going to get Speedplates. 

15 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Those just look like Superfeet with an adjustable arch support. Are they bakeable? I was thinking if the CCMs work for me I was going to get Speedplates. 

No, they are not bakable. You do have some flexibility with which insert you use and where you place it. 

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

I've baked 'em...no issues. 

Depends on context. The insoles themselves are not heat moldable. Can you leave them in during a skate bake, I suppose.

I assumed he meant the former. 

6 hours ago, stick9 said:

Depends on context. The insoles themselves are not heat moldable. Can you leave them in during a skate bake, I suppose.

I assumed he meant the former. 

Yeah, definitely meant the former. 

Had some troubles with too much pressure at navicular bone with the AS1 (and I know quite a few more players) - hope they addressed that with the new model. 

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Pure is shipping my skates from MA... ugh. I was hoping they'd come down from Anaheim. 

Usually, they ship from the closest location. Weird it's not coming from another local store if they had such in stock.

Well...skated three hours at public session on Sunday and coached an hour last night. Here are my thoughts...

First...waaaaay more comfortable than the AS1's, which I mitigate with silicone ankle sleeves.  The AS3 Pro...not needed. They felt great immediately, and no break-in...I could have played a game in them easily. 

The fit was just like the AS1. Yes, there is a slight decrease in volume in toe cap due to the tounge attachment.  I use Adrenaline Powerfoot inserts on the AS1's, and I can't with AS3's. However, the reason I use the PF is to decrease the volume, so now they're not necessary. 

The flex profile is very similar to the AS1's, but I found that I had more forward flexion.  That's great for me because I was getting more power out of my strides. It still has the support of the previous Tacks, and I really do dig the way these one-piece boots feel. I do tangibly get better performance and feel more confident making extreme cuts or all-out bursts compared to the traditional last and quarter package.  That doesn't make them magical or diminish the quality of Bauer's top-line stuff (or anyone else's)...it's just my take. 

The tounge attachment...what many (well...some) are talking about. Ok, I felt it when I tried them on, but didn't really notice it. If I hadn't heard about it, I might not have even been aware. While skating, I did feel that attachment point, but it never became uncomfortable or a hindrance in any way. I can see that if you have a particularly tall forefoot that you might have an issue. There's a cool video that addresses how to fix the issue if you have one, and it's relatively simple, so I wouldn't let that stop you if you like everything else about the skate. 

I never had an issue with the navicular with my AS1's. I do have a busted up left ankle, so I get two punch-outs on my left maleolar.  Even with that...I need the pads for the older Tacks...nothing for the new ones. 

Tacks just seem to be my skate...I can't imagine a custom skate fitting me any better. 

That said...I skated in the 80k's for the first time at the public session as well. In my observation, the Tacks are more comfortable! That...was a big surprise, as Ribcores are reportedly CCM's "comfortable" skate.

I like the 80k and will likely coach in them just to change it up from time to time (my joints prefer I rotate skates). Maybe play a few games to see how they "perform." Definitely roomy in the toe, and I do need the Powerfoot in there to feel comfortable. I don't feel quite as "locked-in" in these.  I like my skates form-fitting (11 foot/7.5 skate). To be fair, I didn't spend nearly as much time in the Ribcors and I baked them, but didn't punch for my ankle. I will and that will help a lot I think. 

One thing I did do to both pair immediately...Blacksteel!  Huge difference. 

AS1's were the best skates I ever had...until these AS3 Pros...they are measurably better!

If you have any specific questions...I'll do my best. 

Edited by Jbear

5 hours ago, Jbear said:

Well...skated three hours at public session on Sunday and coached an hour last night. Here are my thoughts...

First...waaaaay more comfortable than the AS1's, which I mitigate with silicone ankle sleeves.  The AS3 Pro...not needed. They felt great immediately, and no break-in...I could have played a game in them easily. 

The fit was just like the AS1. Yes, there is a slight decrease in volume in toe cap due to the tounge attachment.  I use Adrenaline Powerfoot inserts on the AS1's, and I can't with AS3's. However, the reason I use the PF is to decrease the volume, so now they're not necessary. 

The flex profile is very similar to the AS1's, but I found that I had more forward flexion.  That's great for me because I was getting more power out of my strides. It still has the support of the previous Tacks, and I really do dig the way these one-piece boots feel. I do tangibly get better performance and feel more confident making extreme cuts or all-out bursts compared to the traditional last and quarter package.  That doesn't make them magical or diminish the quality of Bauer's top-line stuff (or anyone else's)...it's just my take. 

The tounge attachment...what many (well...some) are talking about. Ok, I felt it when I tried them on, but didn't really notice it. If I hadn't heard about it, I might not have even been aware. While skating, I did feel that attachment point, but it never became uncomfortable or a hindrance in any way. I can see that if you have a particularly tall forefoot that you might have an issue. There's a cool video that addresses how to fix the issue if you have one, and it's relatively simple, so I wouldn't let that stop you if you like everything else about the skate. 

I never had an issue with the navicular with my AS1's. I do have a busted up left ankle, so I get two punch-outs on my left maleolar.  Even with that...I need the pads for the older Tacks...nothing for the new ones. 

Tacks just seem to be my skate...I can't imagine a custom skate fitting me any better. 

That said...I skated in the 80k's for the first time at the public session as well. In my observation, the Tacks are more comfortable! That...was a big surprise, as Ribcores are reportedly CCM's "comfortable" skate.

I like the 80k and will likely coach in them just to change it up from time to time (my joints prefer I rotate skates). Maybe play a few games to see how they "perform." Definitely roomy in the toe, and I do need the Powerfoot in there to feel comfortable. I don't feel quite as "locked-in" in these.  I like my skates form-fitting (11 foot/7.5 skate). To be fair, I didn't spend nearly as much time in the Ribcors and I baked them, but didn't punch for my ankle. I will and that will help a lot I think. 

One thing I did do to both pair immediately...Blacksteel!  Huge difference. 

AS1's were the best skates I ever had...until these AS3 Pros...they are measurably better!

If you have any specific questions...I'll do my best. 

You said they fit pretty identical to the as1 but more comfy. Sounds nice since the as1s killed my feet during the break in. And even after breaking em in, or should I say, breaking in my feet lol, they still have me some hot spots here and there. 

My main issue with the as1 was where the toebox met the quarter package on the outside (pinky toe). It had barely any /no padding and the piece of plastic dug into my left pinky (more than my right bc my left is about 1/2 size bigger). I actually had to put a thin strip of foam in my as1 to make that area more comfortable and seamless. 

Anyways. I heard that the as3s are now lined with the comfort lining throughout the entire inside of the skate. Can you confirm whether they have padding in that toebox junction, and if so can you post pics?

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Usually, they ship from the closest location. Weird it's not coming from another local store if they had such in stock.

I guess they didn’t.

Hey Snipe...I don't know how to post pics, but...I did feel inside and that area to which you're referring does feel marginally softer than in the AS1.  I only had a moment this morning to check it out, but I have to swap out the laces for waxed, so I will examine that area this evening and post back.  

I am curious as to how swapping the tongue for a D30 regular thickness would feel.  I don't have lace bite issues, but I have taken pucks off of that spot and it's not fun.  I could use shot-blockers, but never found any I loved.  The description (I believe) states the D30 is for lace bite, so...dunno.  Can't get my hands on them and don't want to pay return shipping just to check them out.  If anyone tries them...love to hear about it.

Edited by Jbear
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 9:59 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

There's an algorithm involved (the inventory management system was created by Total Hockey) and while it takes closest distance into play, if that store has x amount in stock and is projected to sell y and shipping that skate will disrupt that, it will pull from the main warehouse to protect that store's local stock.

• Like 1

The thing is - more comfortable foam in the toe box or reduces the width of the forefoot space. This has poked me in the AS1 (total custom version). So hope the toe box is comfy and wide enough. 

Interestingly...the CCM online fit thingy says I should be in a EE. Perhaps that's due to the increased foam? I'm comfortable in the D and just leave out the Powerfoot. 

On another note...the IW video with the CCM rep states that the D30 tounge is for protection, so I'll try it...I block a lot of shots. He also says it's for players who want the "cool" orange styling. Can't speak for anyone else, but I would not seek to be on a team with anyone who buys a $75 tongue cuz it looks "cool!"

Edited by Jbear

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

Interestingly...the CCM online fit thingy says I should be in a EE. Perhaps that's due to the increased foam? I'm comfortable in the D and just leave out the Powerfoot. 

On another note...the IW video with the CCM rep states that the D30 tounge is for protection, so I'll try it...I block a lot of shots. He also says it's for players who want the "cool" orange styling. Can't speak for anyone else, but I would not seek to be on a team with anyone who buys a $75 tongue cuz it looks "cool!"

Not sure how dialed in that online fit thing is. The results seemed to be largely based off your current skate. When I put in a Vapor as my current skate, it give me Jetspeeds. When I put Ribcors as my current skate, it gives me Ribcors.

The tool would be awesome if it did all that with pics.

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

I put in 7.5D AS1'S...gave me 7.5EE AS3 Pro's.

I can see for a retail model it recommending EE vs D depending on how wide your foot is. I am a legitimate E width and in retail, it recommended EE skates but in full customs, they made them as an E.