Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
caveman27

2020 NHL Offseason

Probably the most interesting FA signing thus far (to me) is Tyson Barrie going to EDM:

I like the deal because Barrie has the ability to be their PP QB. Toronto is a tough place to play and reminds of how my city treats the Eagles and football. Barrie clearly isn't the most defensive blueliner but his offensive upside should fit in well with Oilers. I'll be intrigued to see how this goes this upcoming season.

Hello! Taylor Hall to BUF! Eichel is sure to approve haha:

I like the signing. It gives Hall a chance to prove himself again as one of the top forwards in the game while giving Eichel a chance to play with another (super)star. 

• Like 1

From Hall's perspective, I agree at face value. With COVID-19, I don't think he had the market he was looking for. So given the high probability that he still is in his prime, he goes for the highest AAV and gets to ball out for a LTC starting in 2021-22. 

I didn't see this one coming but Devon Toews gets traded to COL:

Joe Sakic once again isn't settling with the roster that left the Bubble and I'm left impressed with another one of his off-season transactions. It was a limited sample but when the Islanders played the Flyers, I was impressed with Toews' play during the series. While 2 2nd drafts isn't exactly a giveaway, you'd have to imagine that the Avs will be one the top teams for the next couple of years. The Avs are getting a younger and seasoned blueliner that seems to be coming into his own in the NHL. While the Islanders seem to be shed some salary for cap space.

On a side note, it looks like Johnnie Boychuk could be next to go.

The Canadiens have picked up goalie Jake Allen and right-winger Tyler Toffoli.

Allen as a back-up to Carey Price is good.

Toffoli as a winger is okay. I hope he fits into their system and add some offense at the right time. I already know why the Canucks didn't keep him.

Just reminds me of the days when they would bring in guys like Lindros, Housley, Francis, Nolan, Allison (or bringing back Gilmour or Clark for their second tours) ect. Great players in their prime, but definitely not game changers on the Leafs. Not a huge risk signing at 700k, but I don't know how impactful he will be whenever the next season starts.

Edited by althoma1

Haha no doubt. I'm jaded as a Flyers fan seeing these type of retreaded players (regardless of talent) come in and seeing the hype around them for no justifiable reason. The difference here is that TOR actually has YOUNG star power. Veteran presence is at is best the younger players can take on the majority of the team's success. 

They have a lot of veterans now with Spezza, Simmonds, Muzzin, Bogosian, Tavares, Brodie ect. on the roster, but perhaps they're hoping Thornton will be the vocal veteran that will convince the younger guys to play responsible team D.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Doc retires:

Not player related but the broadcasting landscape changes again. I'd rather listen to Canadian broadcasts but Doc was consistent in transmitting excitement (for better or worse haha).

I liked listening to Doc, sad to see him go.

• Like 2

Howdy,

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Dallas unveils what is quite possibly the worst uniform in NHL history. 

42F8DD48-ADDF-4E84-824A-C6C0DC38BCC3.jpeg

Style is such a personal thing.

Outside of the whole "Can't see" thing, I like that quite a lot.  🙂

Mark