Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
caveman27

2020 NHL Offseason

It's starting today at 7 PM.

I usually don't bother watching. Most guys end up playing in the semi-pro leagues, continue playing in junior hockey or start college hockey. I rarely recall anyone who gets drafted. They might even get traded before they even play a minute on the team they got drafted in.

Side note for Canadiens fans. The Habs traded away Max Domi and their third round pick for Josh Anderson of the Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm not too jazzed about giving away the third round pick, but trading for a player with known results is less risky than picking a teenager who could become a bust. 

20 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Side note for Canadiens fans. The Habs traded away Max Domi and their third round pick for Josh Anderson of the Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm not too jazzed about giving away the third round pick, but trading for a player with known results is less risky than picking a teenager who could become a bust. 

That feels like a bad trade. I almost feel like the pick should have been going the other way. Both of them are RFA's too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Just saw that Matt Murray was traded to OTT. Surprising from me as an outsider. 

Wow. 

That leaves Pittsburgh with just Tristan Jarry. Are they going to bring up a goalie from their system or sign someone up before training camp?

Lehner signed a $25 million, five-year contract with Vegas on Saturday that gives him some much-desired stability. Committing to Lehner gives the Golden Knights the same at the goaltending position while plunging one-time face of the franchise Marc-Andre Fleury into uncertainty.

Lehner has a modified no-trade clause as part of the contract and believes staying in one place will help him personally and make him a better goalie.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vegas-signs-goalie-robin-lehner-25m-5-deal-163623209--nhl.html

Interesting. He played well during the playoffs.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, caveman27 said:

Side note for Canadiens fans. The Habs traded away Max Domi and their third round pick for Josh Anderson of the Columbus Blue Jackets. [...]

Rumour is that Domi was stuck on wanting a 1~2 year deal. I hope this deal is a win-win for both clubs, Anderson's risk is that injury but I'm assuming they have done their due diligence.

21 hours ago, caveman27 said:

That leaves Pittsburgh with just Tristan Jarry. Are they going to bring up a goalie from their system or sign someone up before training camp?

They have Casey DeSmith who seems decent enough. 

• Like 1

Man, Crawford not being re-signed, Schneider being bought out (didn't know he was even in the league still), Fleury's status, Dubnyk being traded, Holtby, Andersen... the list goes on. So many goalies! Lucky Lehner to snag himself some security.

This whole off-season is nuts already and only going to get more crazy. The flat cap is really pushing some teams to make tough choices. And not just the cap, but internal budgets as well. I've read that multiple GMs have said they've been told to shed salary regardless of their cap position.

For a guy who is only 27, the low compensation doesn't bode well for where Murray is at in his career:

Will be interesting to see how he fits in NJ. Definitely has a chance to bring life back into his career heading into a contract year.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

17 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Man, Crawford not being re-signed, Schneider being bought out (didn't know he was even in the league still), Fleury's status, Dubnyk being traded, Holtby, Andersen... the list goes on. So many goalies! Lucky Lehner to snag himself some security.[...]

I like the Jake Allen pick up well enough by the Habs, but in hindsight it seems like they could have gotten a better deal for a younger guy in Free Agency.

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Holtby to VAN:

I'm sort of surprised. But, the Capitals have also signed Henrik Lundqvist to a $1.5 mill 1-year contract.

This is a plus for the Canucks who haven't had solid goalies since they had Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider together.

29 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Markstrom is headed to Calgary:

The $36 million for 6 years is a lot.  

I wonder if David Rittich will be getting less ice time next season.

Howdy,

4 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Extended:

Darn glad Pittsburgh dodged that bullet.  That's CRAZY money given his play the past couple years.

Maybe he gets back to something like what his was.  I hope he does, for his sake.  But that's ALL the money.

As for the Pens... Writing was on the wall that Jarry was the way forward pretty much since January.  Sullivan didn't get the memo in the play in round and Pittsburgh was packing early with promises for shakeups across the organization.

Sounds like there's some interest in Fleury coming back and being a mentor / safety valve for Jarry, but I dunno how much of that is wishful thinking.  My bet is probably not, and DeSmith moves back up to backup duty in the big club.

Mark

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

The $36 million for 6 years is a lot.  

I wonder if David Rittich will be getting less ice time next season.

Its gotta be the "Starting Goalie" that CGY had to factor in when making the contract. Otherwise, I agree with you. Definitely feel the amount of years is longer than I'd like.

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Darn glad Pittsburgh dodged that bullet.  That's CRAZY money given his play the past couple years.

Maybe he gets back to something like what his was.  I hope he does, for his sake.  But that's ALL the money.

As for the Pens... Writing was on the wall that Jarry was the way forward pretty much since January.  Sullivan didn't get the memo in the play in round and Pittsburgh was packing early with promises for shakeups across the organization.

Sounds like there's some interest in Fleury coming back and being a mentor / safety valve for Jarry, but I dunno how much of that is wishful thinking.  My bet is probably not, and DeSmith moves back up to backup duty in the big club.

Mark

Would it make sense to bring Fleury back? Unless Jarry/DeSmith can't handle a 82 game season together? I think a vet 'tender makes sense but wouldn't the Flower require a decent price tag?

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Pretty much sums it up.  The fact that Murray apparently wasn’t happy about “not being appreciated” doesn't speak well of his mental toughness.  Pens don’t have a lot of money, not sure Fleury even at a discount would fit but might work if they could swing it.  I can live with DeSmith as #2 and see how it goes.