Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

Quad Profiles Overrated?

On 10/11/2020 at 8:45 PM, boo10 said:

I know many of the members here absolutely love quad profiles.  I've tried a few different times and I literally can barely skate on them. I've been playing hockey for 45 years and played at a pretty high level, so I'm a decent skater.  I find that I have zero agility on a quad.  One thing that confuses me is the claim that the short front radius allows for tighter turns.  I could see how this would be true for hard cuts when you're moving fast and leaning forward, but I find the long rear radius inhibits tight pivots.  Maybe my skating style is odd, but when I'm trying to turn a very tight circle to shake a forechecker, I lean hard into the heel of my blade.  The long radius makes it much harder for me to make that tight pivot.

Anyone else think single or dual radii are superior to quads?  Am I just weird in my inability to adapt to the quads?

Valid question. There's an entire sub-forum for Prosharp-based custom profiles and a sub-sub-topic for quad profiles. Not sure if you have checked it out yet. But, people give their opinions on various profiles they tried out. You'll see that two people will have a completely different experience with the same custom quad profile.

https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/forum/191-the-prosharp-project/

On 10/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, boo10 said:

Maybe my skating style is odd, but when I'm trying to turn a very tight circle to shake a forechecker, I lean hard into the heel of my blade.  The long radius makes it much harder for me to make that tight pivot.

What about skating backwards?

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

What about skating backwards?

Well, I guess in theory it would allow me to turn a tighter circle while skating backwards, but in my 45 years of hockey, I can't ever recall performing that type of turn in a game.

2 hours ago, 218hockey said:

I just meant skating backwards in general with the flatter radius of the Quad at the back of the blade.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood.  I did not find that it helped my backwards skating at all.  I am an older player and probably pretty set in my mechanics, so perhaps I just can't adapt my stride to the quad.  I tried it a few times, with probably a total of 12-15 hours of ice time.  Just don't like it.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:11 PM, Dnyge79 said:

Ahh, if that’s true then sorry. Pure hockey in Novi, Jose I believe was the gentleman’s name. Was probably 2018

Ah, I was gone by then.  I didn't manage Novi; I was at Troy.  Jose is down in Taylor with Perani's.

So I have been able to try both profiles, and I have found that now that I’ve skated on the quad zero, I can’t go back to a single radius. It’s just so much better. And my turning was probably just me being out of shape and away from skating for too long because I didnt notice any difference between the 2 from that standpoint. 

Edited by Dnyge79

On 10/11/2020 at 5:45 PM, boo10 said:

I know many of the members here absolutely love quad profiles.  I've tried a few different times and I literally can barely skate on them. I've been playing hockey for 45 years and played at a pretty high level, so I'm a decent skater.  I find that I have zero agility on a quad.  One thing that confuses me is the claim that the short front radius allows for tighter turns.  I could see how this would be true for hard cuts when you're moving fast and leaning forward, but I find the long rear radius inhibits tight pivots.  Maybe my skating style is odd, but when I'm trying to turn a very tight circle to shake a forechecker, I lean hard into the heel of my blade.  The long radius makes it much harder for me to make that tight pivot.

Anyone else think single or dual radii are superior to quads?  Am I just weird in my inability to adapt to the quads?

Try the Quad 0.5 next.  It is very similar to the 9.5/10.5 you are thinking of trying.  Good for you for trying all these profiles out for yourself.

• Like 1

I personally didn't like the quad 0 because it made going heel to heel awkward. backwards skating was fine, if anything easier for backwards cross overs where you can cut C's with your toe edge, but I agree with the earlier statement if you turn on your heel edges the quad 0 is awkward. If you cut turns by leaning into your toe edges, think crossovers, then I see the advantages of quad 0. 

On 10/21/2020 at 2:49 AM, Beflar said:

Try the Quad 0.5 next.  It is very similar to the 9.5/10.5 you are thinking of trying.  Good for you for trying all these profiles out for yourself.

I had the new blades profiled to a 10' single radius and agility returned to normal.  My concern with the quad 0.5 is that it still has a long rear radius which seems to be the thing that causes a lot of my issues.  If I was stateside, I would definitely participate in the Prosharp project to try everything that have to offer, but shipping back and forth to Canada would just be too pricy.  I'm currently sitting on a couple sets of brand new Step XS runners, so once I sell those I'll probably pick up some Edge runners and try a quad 0.5 and 9.5/10.5.