Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Face Shield vs CCM Mask

Ok...   two competing concepts for the same issue... Coronavirus!

In one corner, hailing from Bauer.. the Bauer Face Shield.  In the other corner, hailing from CCM...  the CCM Game On Face Mask!

Two very different solutions and to me this speaks to the issues we are facing.  Below you will find pictures of each but here are the pros and cons as I see them...  

In the end everyone will decide for themselves what they like better, what their own levels of risk are, etc.  

Discuss....

Bauer

CCM

Pros

Visibility excellent.

Breathability – does not cover the nose.

Lightweight.

Cons

Flimsy clear vinyl.  Expected hard plastic.

Bottom spaces of Concept III mask remain open.

No protection of nasal particles.

Only designed for Bauer Concept III mask.  

Cannot use cage.

Pros

Covers the nose.  Superior protection from transmission

Can fit Bauer or CCM masks.

Can fit on clear plastic cages or wire cages.

Cons

Harder to breathe – nose is covered.

Impacts lower peripheral visibility.

Mask tighter – chin strap may need adjusting.

Bauer:

ZcsuEMo.jpg

H3LROvT.jpg

Wy3akUA.jpg

YYiCNVI.jpg

2be4Ann.jpg

nhrLMq1.jpg

CCM

CQaWCNB.jpg

wrk4nIe.jpg

yQTJhat.jpg

aUD95uR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Love the comparison Dave.  Question... the CCM mask, wouldn't it be just as easy, and maybe a better fit to the face, to just wear a regular mask underneath the cage?  I know they make some that breathe really well now while still passing the candle test (I have a couple of the UnderArmour ones that I've worn to photograph weddings that I find are amazing with how breathable they are and how they keep my face cooler than others I've tried, and this is wearing them for 6-8hrs with minimal mask breaks).

Again, thanks for the comparison, really really hope to see you and the rest of the guys out on the ice in the near future (so I can get photos of us learning how to skate again 🤣).

• Like 1

I’m liking my CCMs so far. My biggest issue with a normal everyday mask was that I found having something wrapped around my ears all skate to be pretty annoying. Covering the nose isn’t ideal but it seems more aligned with the intended purpose which is to try to keep people safe.

As a younger guy in a lot of the pick up I play in these days I’d rather wear something more conservative. 

The Bauer product seems like an absolute scam if I’m being blunt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Love the comparison Dave.  Question... the CCM mask, wouldn't it be just as easy, and maybe a better fit to the face, to just wear a regular mask underneath the cage?  I know they make some that breathe really well now while still passing the candle test (I have a couple of the UnderArmour ones that I've worn to photograph weddings that I find are amazing with how breathable they are and how they keep my face cooler than others I've tried, and this is wearing them for 6-8hrs with minimal mask breaks).

Again, thanks for the comparison, really really hope to see you and the rest of the guys out on the ice in the near future (so I can get photos of us learning how to skate again 🤣).

Yes, I think you could probably use the Bauer shield and a mask, or maybe a gaiter.  The CCM does seem like a very robust product... pretty darn thick to be honest so that's a good thing as far as filtering goes.  The thing about the CCM is it wont shift around I doin't think and a regular mask might.  The CCM isn't quite flush to your cheeks tho.  Not sure what that means or if its a + or -.

I did try using the Under Armour mask last week but it was too thick and wouldn't really fit under the chin cup.

Yeah, can't wait to get back to normalcy and see everyone!!!

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 1

The issue I have with these both is that I wear glasses even when I play and there is no way to avoid getting fogged up. This happens not playing hockey, and I can't imagine how bad it would be while playing. I have yet to find a mask material that doesn't have this issue, and the only thing I can do is lower the mask below my nose. Until now I've just played outdoor roller through this whole thing, but November starts indoor roller season for me. 

Thanks for posting pics, it seems like neither of these will really work for me

23 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

The issue I have with these both is that I wear glasses even when I play and there is no way to avoid getting fogged up. This happens not playing hockey, and I can't imagine how bad it would be while playing. I have yet to find a mask material that doesn't have this issue, and the only thing I can do is lower the mask below my nose. Until now I've just played outdoor roller through this whole thing, but November starts indoor roller season for me. 

Thanks for posting pics, it seems like neither of these will really work for me

Good point about the glasses. I wear contacts while playing sports but I can see fog being an issues for those who wear glasses while playing hockey. I know I also experience my glasses getting fogged when I where a mask during the few times I venture out per week.

as I said on PHEW, I’m glad I’m not the only one who was expecting hard plastic with the Bauer. Also, I was actually able to put BOTH the Bauer splash guard AND the CCM Game On mask on my Bauer shield. Likely overkill but it worked.

IMO the CCM mask works best on the CCM shield (bought one for my gf) but still sits pretty well on the Bauer too. the CCM shield has 5 holes on the bottom in front while the Bauer has 4. this causes the CCM Game On mask to be slightly off-center but the difference is minimal. last week I tried to wear a Bauer cloth mask under my Bauer shield but it was difficult. I hoping that the fact that the CCM Game On mask doesn't sit directly against your face will make it easier.

Very good and informative post. Thanks for sharing.  The Ccm is probably more effective based on the pics you posted. Nose and mouth are covered, although you said it isn't "snug." Before reading your experience I didn't even consider the potential hampering of peripheral vision with these things.  I see on Insta Boston college using the UA ones.  I am currently skating w a small number of guys but that doesn't matter, it just takes one numbskull to covidize the group. I'll have to consider the ccm or UA product going forward...

• Like 1

Is the UA mask people mention the one I see when I google that looks like a typical mask with ear loops? Is it somehow more comfortable than a normal mask?

@dkmiller3356 you mentioned lower periphery visibility. How obstructive is that for you? That was my biggest concern with that particular mask. I assume this changes person to person, based on face shape. 

I’ve been wearing a gaiter and one issue I’m having is that it will occasionally get loose and material will suck into my mouth. (A lifetime of allergies and deviated septum has made me a habitual mouth breather.)

I'm sorry but it needs to be said.

That Bauer splash guard isn't going to do a darn thing in regards to protecting the wearer from contracting COVID-19. The fact it doesn't even cover the entire bottom portion of the Bauer face-shield leaving the bottom rung of hole exposed is all you need to know about how effective this gimmick, yes gimmick, is. 

Bauer is simply trying to exploit the Coronavirus pandemic to increase revenue by trying to sell you flimsy plastic splash guards for $20 USD per pack, and increase their sales of their new Bauer Concept 3 face-shield, the only shield the splash-guard is made to fit. 

If your concerned about contracting COVID at the rink while playing, the CCM facemask to me is your only option. The splash-guard gimmick from Bauer is just a waste of your money, especially if you have to shell out for the Concept 3 shield along with it. 

1 hour ago, BruinDust said:

I'm sorry but it needs to be said.

That Bauer splash guard isn't going to do a darn thing in regards to protecting the wearer from contracting COVID-19. The fact it doesn't even cover the entire bottom portion of the Bauer face-shield leaving the bottom rung of hole exposed is all you need to know about how effective this gimmick, yes gimmick, is. 

Bauer is simply trying to exploit the Coronavirus pandemic to increase revenue by trying to sell you flimsy plastic splash guards for $20 USD per pack, and increase their sales of their new Bauer Concept 3 face-shield, the only shield the splash-guard is made to fit. 

If your concerned about contracting COVID at the rink while playing, the CCM facemask to me is your only option. The splash-guard gimmick from Bauer is just a waste of your money, especially if you have to shell out for the Concept 3 shield along with it. 

The masks (none of them) are designed to protect you from COVID. The point is to prevent possible spread by containing YOUR vaporized droplets. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

The masks (none of them) are designed to protect you from COVID. The point is to prevent possible spread by containing YOUR vaporized droplets. 

Protect you, protect others, whatever. The point I was making was that splash guard ain't going to do anything to prevent that as it doesn't cover the entire area leaving the bottom part exposed. It reduces the amount of your "spray" by such a miniscule amount it's basically inconsequential. 

Bauer is just trying to take your money. 

Seriously you could probably make a more effective solution at home with some saran wrap and tape. 

Edited by BruinDust
  • Haha 1

I was wondering if you could just put clear packing tape over the bottom vents if you are trying to reduce droplets. It’s not very sexy, but would give you more freedom for how much to cover. 

7 hours ago, start_today said:

Is the UA mask people mention the one I see when I google that looks like a typical mask with ear loops? Is it somehow more comfortable than a normal mask?

@dkmiller3356 you mentioned lower periphery visibility. How obstructive is that for you? That was my biggest concern with that particular mask. I assume this changes person to person, based on face shape. 

I will be wearing the CCM on the ice for the first time tonight and will report back.

Other item to note regarding eyeglasses and fog...  the CCM does have a moldable nose piece that might help mold things will enough to partially mitigate this issue.  Hard to tell because I dont wear glasses.

2 hours ago, BruinDust said:

Protect you, protect others, whatever. The point I was making was that splash guard ain't going to do anything to prevent that as it doesn't cover the entire area leaving the bottom part exposed. It reduces the amount of your "spray" by such a miniscule amount it's basically inconsequential. 

Bauer is just trying to take your money. 

Seriously you could probably make a more effective solution at home with some saran wrap and tape. 

It's a total cash grab. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I will be wearing the CCM on the ice for the first time tonight and will report back.

Other item to note regarding eyeglasses and fog...  the CCM does have a moldable nose piece that might help mold things will enough to partially mitigate this issue.  Hard to tell because I dont wear glasses.

I'd be very surprised. Frankly, I have yet to find a mask that doesn't completely fog up my glasses, including the blue surgical ones with the metal strip that you can squeeze tightly around your nose.  Let us know how it goes. For now, I think I'm just going to play without it, as the rink is not requiring it. We'll see what happens if they throw me into the 30+ league, but if there are no older guys I don't think it will be too much of an issue. 

I think to call the Bauer splash guard a "cash grab" is a bit harsh. I think that Bauer wanted to create a device that covered all the holes and then quickly discovered that the heat and fogging would be a MAJOR issue. (note: I usually err on giving the benefit of the doubt) I also wouldn't say the splash guard is useless. it's not like a respiratory droplet is going to see the holes on the bottom section and decide to adjust course so that it can enter that way rather than just hit the top row which is covered. it may not be everything but it's something that's better than nothing though I do believe Bauer should have been more forthcoming with details before releasing the product.

having said that, I think the CCM system is a much better system. I purchased both and was actually able to attach BOTH the Bauer splash guard AND the CCM Game On mask to my Bauer shield. I have skated with the Bauer splash guard but I won't be able to skate with the CCM mask until Friday.

in the end it all comes down to this: if you are playing hockey right now then you have weighed the risk to you and your loved ones and decided that it's worth it to play. that doesn't mean that you can't take some common sense measures to protect yourself and others against COVID. 

My son is mandated by the state to wear a face covering when playing center, and only while taking draws. We used a thing gaiter for a few games, but it's just too much of a hassle. I anticipated this being an issue and ordered a couple of the CCM Game On masks to try. They looked like a much better concept than the Bauer offering. They just came in and he'll give it a go Thursday.  Hopefully it's not too obtrusive. We've lost several minutes a game in the three we've played so far to kids at the dot trying to pull up/put on a mask. It's already being used as gamesmanship by some coaches to run out the rink clock in close games. Refs have been instructed not to hand out penalties for facemask related issues. Our regular season starts Sunday, hopefully this stuff gets sorted out soon.  When I get worked up I try to remind myself that at least they are playing... 

On 10/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, start_today said:

That's the one.  The ear loops are much more comfortable than most masks and don't irritate the ears as much (I've worn mine for hours at a time on a few occasions), but as Dave mentioned, it's a thicker puffier mask so that would affect how it fits under a chin cup (I've seen others say it's like wearing a padded bra on their face 🤣).

14 hours ago, shoeshine boy said:

I think to call the Bauer splash guard a "cash grab" is a bit harsh. I think that Bauer wanted to create a device that covered all the holes and then quickly discovered that the heat and fogging would be a MAJOR issue. (note: I usually err on giving the benefit of the doubt) I also wouldn't say the splash guard is useless. it's not like a respiratory droplet is going to see the holes on the bottom section and decide to adjust course so that it can enter that way rather than just hit the top row which is covered. it may not be everything but it's something that's better than nothing though I do believe Bauer should have been more forthcoming with details before releasing the product.

having said that, I think the CCM system is a much better system. I purchased both and was actually able to attach BOTH the Bauer splash guard AND the CCM Game On mask to my Bauer shield. I have skated with the Bauer splash guard but I won't be able to skate with the CCM mask until Friday.

in the end it all comes down to this: if you are playing hockey right now then you have weighed the risk to you and your loved ones and decided that it's worth it to play. that doesn't mean that you can't take some common sense measures to protect yourself and others against COVID. 

Were these products tested and certified by the FDA or CDC to prevent or even lower the risk of contracting or spreading Covid-19? If no, it's a cash grab. Same goes for the all fancy masks we wear on a daily basis, myself included.

Once you enter the rink common sense is tossed aside. Think about it, if people were serious about preventing the spread there would be no need for splash guards on hockey helmets. 

Don't confuse me with an anti-masker or one of those covid is hoax whack jobs. 

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Were these products tested and certified by the FDA or CDC to prevent or even lower the risk of contracting or spreading Covid-19? If no, it's a cash grab. Same goes for the all fancy masks we wear on a daily basis, myself included.

Once you enter the rink common sense is tossed aside. Think about it, if people were serious about preventing the spread there would be no need for splash guards on hockey helmets. 

that's an awfully cynical view of the world though I freely admit that sometimes I'm not cynical enough. only those at Bauer know their motivation. I can easily see both CCM and Bauer's motivations being to provide whatever they can to get hockey going again. guaranteed their sales plummeted between April and August save for some street/roller hockey equipment. parents (maybe some stupid ones) aren't spending $300 on sticks to play out in the driveway.

and please, let's not get into a debate on the effectiveness of masks. everybody has a study to prove whatever their opinion is on it. the only thing most intelligent people agree on is that N95 masks are the best but should be reserved for our front-line workers

I definitely agree with you on common sense being tossed aside once entering the rink. I've seen it. once in the locker room the masks come off and here in ATL, the 4th period is continuing like normal. folks are congregating in the parking lot, no masks and MUCH closer than 6 feet. I guess they figure the Bud Light will water down the respiratory droplets. 😉

glad you included your last line because I was beginning to wonder. we have our share of the latter in our league and those are the guys that scare me. I don't trust them to stay home when they're sick.

1 hour ago, shoeshine boy said:

that's an awfully cynical view of the world though I freely admit that sometimes I'm not cynical enough. only those at Bauer know their motivation. I can easily see both CCM and Bauer's motivations being to provide whatever they can to get hockey going again. guaranteed their sales plummeted between April and August save for some street/roller hockey equipment. parents (maybe some stupid ones) aren't spending $300 on sticks to play out in the driveway.

and please, let's not get into a debate on the effectiveness of masks. everybody has a study to prove whatever their opinion is on it. the only thing most intelligent people agree on is that N95 masks are the best but should be reserved for our front-line workers

I definitely agree with you on common sense being tossed aside once entering the rink. I've seen it. once in the locker room the masks come off and here in ATL, the 4th period is continuing like normal. folks are congregating in the parking lot, no masks and MUCH closer than 6 feet. I guess they figure the Bud Light will water down the respiratory droplets. 😉

glad you included your last line because I was beginning to wonder. we have our share of the latter in our league and those are the guys that scare me. I don't trust them to stay home when they're sick.

I prefer a cynical approach because when I am wrong, which is often, it's good news. 

Yeah, I added the last line after posting. I wanted to make sure I wasn't lumped into that group of crazies. There is no shortage of them.

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

I mean... tested? No. But anything that catches droplets when you sneeze or cough (or exhale heavily) is going to be better than nothing at all. So I wouldn't say its a cash grab so much as just being not some magic pill that makes you 100% safe. Like @shoeshine boysaid, theres no need to get into the effectiveness but let's also be realistic because we know something is better than nothing. 

Also I get a kick out of the "I could make that myself for cheaper" people who have no materials, tools, or the actual skills to do so. Just stop it. You're being silly.

Anyway...

I would also please encourage people in this thread to stick to details, opinions, or reviews on the products in question. If you don't think it's worth the money or not effective enough to justify buying these products, nobody is forcing you. I do not want this to devolve into a debate about effectiveness. 

Howdy,

Played today (for the first time since... March?  Holy crap was I horrible) with the UA mask.

I honestly didn't notice it on the ice, other than that there was more sweat on my upper lip.  Didn't seem to affect my ability to breathe well basically at all.

On the bench, it was more of a hassle, because to drink you had to unclip the cage, pull down the mask, then drink.  Then pull the mask back up (which is now looser / not the same feel as it was before, since you were screwing with it), and clip the mask straps back in.

When I got home, I ordered the CCM mask.  I figure it will have the good parts of the UA mask and still get out of the way better when I want a drink.  Planning to use it with a cage, but also considering getting a fishbowl to maybe help with virus entering my eyes.  Of course, there's basically zero studies out there on how much any of that matters, so its all a guess as to if that's reasonable, insane, etc.

For you folks that have played with the Bauer thing... How's the fogging?  I'd have guessed that would be the major "playability" drawback of that design.

edit:  One benefit of the UA mask vs. some others we have around is that it didn't turn into a disaster due to sweat.  Yes, it got damp, but it still basically held its shape, etc.  The other masks we have are either disposable or cotton-ish fabrics and I can't imagine they'd do well soaked in sweat.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 1

I’ve played twice now. Both times I’ve used one of the basic over the ears CCM masks, and honestly it’s not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I am also using a bubble (CCM fv1) for the first time since my youth, and using the Oakley anti fog spray my fogging issues have been minimal so far. 
my Game On mask arrived along with a few others I purchased. I will try that one next. A guy on my team complained about it riding up into his eyes a bit so we will see, he might not have adjusted it properly. 

as far as the “cash grab” argument goes, I doubt it’s so much that as it is a reaction to different states having varying requirements, and I thank the manufacturers for at least coming up with some sort of solution in short time. 

either way, I know I am good at least with the basic CCM mask. My shooting on the other hand definitely could tell there was a lay-off.