Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Face Shield vs CCM Mask

UPDATE:  Played last night using the CCM and was very pleasantly surprised.  I was able to breathe easily and my vision was not impaired.  As far as I am concerned it is clearly more effective and my concerns proved not to be an issue. 

Regarding effectiveness, with all due respect to my friend @IPv6Freely, we should most definetley be talaking about effectiveness.  That's the whole point of the product!  Now there is no way this is gonna be tested by the CDC or FDA but I do think we can apply some common sense.  Neither is an N95.  We get that.  Neither hermetically seals your face in!  But the CCM is surely going to stop more than the Bauer.  Frankly, if all players in leagues would wear the CCM mask or other mask then we'd be able to play fairly safely.  But...  if everyone was just wearing the Bauer we wouldn't be any safer.  And that's pretty damming

Is the Bauer a cash grab?  I don't know.... I don't quite care either.  I'm just looking to lower my risk.

• Like 8

Howdy,

7 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

UPDATE:  Played last night using the CCM and was very pleasantly surprised.  I was able to breathe easily and my vision was not impaired.  As far as I am concerned it is clearly more effective and my concerns proved not to be an issue. 

Regarding effectiveness, with all due respect to my friend @IPv6Freely, we should most definetley be talaking about effectiveness.  That's the whole point of the product!  Now there is no way this is gonna be tested by the CDC or FDA but I do think we can apply some common sense.  Neither is an N95.  We get that.  Neither hermetically seals your face in!  But the CCM is surely going to stop more than the Bauer.  Frankly, if all players in leagues would wear the CCM mask or other mask then we'd be able to play fairly safely.  But...  if everyone was just wearing the Bauer we wouldn't be any safer.  And that's pretty damming

Is the Bauer a cash grab?  I don't know.... I don't quite care either.  I'm just looking to lower my risk.

Dave, are you using the CCM mask in conjunction with the Bauer Concept III?

I just ordered that setup.  A little worried about the weight of the bubble vs. the cage I use now, but I definitely like the idea of having more of a particle shield for my eyes.  If I can't stand the concept III weight, I'm considering going to a visor and trading off puck to face protection for particulate protection...

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Dave, are you using the CCM mask in conjunction with the Bauer Concept III?

I just ordered that setup.  A little worried about the weight of the bubble vs. the cage I use now, but I definitely like the idea of having more of a particle shield for my eyes.  If I can't stand the concept III weight, I'm considering going to a visor and trading off puck to face protection for particulate protection...

Mark

Yes and it was fine weight wise IMHO but I am used to already carrying around my big fat head!  You cannot use it with a visor.  It needs to attach to either a bubble or a cage.

3 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Yes and it was fine weight wise IMHO but I am used to already carrying around my big fat head!  You cannot use it with a visor.  It needs to attach to either a bubble or a cage.

They do sell a version for players who wear half-visors if you can find it in stock.

• Like 2

I picked up a CCM mask on a whim. Looks like they are out of stock online in a few places, but Pure Hockey near me had a whole bunch. 

It took a little bit of playing with it on the couch while watching tv to figure out where to put the various straps. I have a Bauer Profile III cage. The mask has a moldable nose piece that I had to push into a “peak” so it wouldn’t press on my nose.  

ive only worn it once, in an admittedly slower skate, but I liked it. No vision problems at all. I honestly didn’t notice it at all while playing. Breathing was fine, but this wasn’t a game where I’m pushing myself hard most shifts. One thing I liked way better than a gaiter that I didn’t consider was not having something on the back of my neck. It felt much cooler to have my neck exposed and not covered. 

I have to undo cage to drink water, but thinking about it, that is probably better than pulling the mask up and down and putting my  hands around my face. 

For fogging concerns, it might help limit that because this mask is more open by your mouth/cheeks, so air is going out there, which might keep breath away from the visor. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, start_today said:

I picked up a CCM mask on a whim. Looks like they are out of stock online in a few places, but Pure Hockey near me had a whole bunch. 

It took a little bit of playing with it on the couch while watching tv to figure out where to put the various straps. I have a Bauer Profile III cage. The mask has a moldable nose piece that I had to push into a “peak” so it wouldn’t press on my nose.  

ive only worn it once, in an admittedly slower skate, but I liked it. No vision problems at all. I honestly didn’t notice it at all while playing. Breathing was fine, but this wasn’t a game where I’m pushing myself hard most shifts. One thing I liked way better than a gaiter that I didn’t consider was not having something on the back of my neck. It felt much cooler to have my neck exposed and not covered. 

I have to undo cage to drink water, but thinking about it, that is probably better than pulling the mask up and down and putting my  hands around my face. 

For fogging concerns, it might help limit that because this mask is more open by your mouth/cheeks, so air is going out there, which might keep breath away from the visor. 

That was exactly my experience!

• Like 2

I played twice with the Bauer splash guard while I was waiting for my CCM Game On mask to arrive. I had minor fogging and condensation issues both games. between the first and second game I added some dish soap to both the shield and the splash guard. it took care of 98% of the shield fogging and maybe 70% of the condensation on the splash guard. not perfect but better than taking a risk that I'm not comfortable with.

I'll be using the CCM mask from here on out. it's just a better system, imo. 

• Like 1

Great stuff fellas.  My squirt tried the Bauer splash guard and was not a fan.  Same issues others have mentioned: fogging/condensation, can't drink unless you have a straw top bottle, etc.  Sounds like the CCM Game On is a better solution.  Granted doesn't allow you to drink without opening the bubble/cage, but doesn't seem to fog or inhibit breathing either.  Might have to see if I can get my hands on one for him. 

My PeeWee son tried the CCM in practice last night. He gave it a thumbs up. No breathing issues or anything. Has a game Sunday we'll see how it goes. 

The CCM one breathes so well it makes me question its effectiveness, but I’m gonna just ignore that because PLAYING SPORTS. 😬 

(I think it prevents droplets from leaving my mouth so I feel like a better person, and protects me from others to some degree, so I’ll take the compromise.)

On 10/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

I was specifically talking about having yet another thread devolve into offtopic discussion, this time about mask effectiveness in general, instead of talking about the specific products the thread is about. I'm completely with you though that it's important. You're preaching to the choir here - nothing drives me nuts more than the people who suggest cloth masks don't do anything. Even worse are the ones who cite the size of the physical virus itself, as if they're just free floating in the air and not carried by the droplets from sneezing or coughing (or breathing heavily like in sports). Basically from a moderation perspective, what I'm looking to avoid generally is where somebody goes to a thread looking for some information and has to sift through pages of off-topic or only barely relevant discussion. Use the TF7/TF9 thread as an example.

100% we should be comparing effectiveness on these products! And I agree - something is better than nothing. Whatever you can do to lower your risk even by just a small amount if worth considering.

Fellas, I've been away from this community for a while now since I left the industry, but in my curiosity/search for ways of restarting low impact (i.e. no games, just stick and pucks with minimal amount of other skaters) hockey, I knew there was no better place to turn to first.

Thanks everyone and @dkmiller3356 for offering their opinions of these products!

Now, I understand CCM also makes a version for half-visors, but like @shoot_the_goalie mentioned, I'm finding it hard to source. Seems like only IceWarehouse has a page for them and they're only taking pre-orders for Nov.15. 

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_Game_On/descpage-CGOMV.html 

Has anyone been able to find these for sale online? If not, has anyone found a good comparable product that can be used for visors?

Edited by AIREAYE

Howdy,

2 hours ago, AIREAYE said:

Now, I understand CCM also makes a version for half-visors, but like @shoot_the_goalie mentioned, I'm finding it hard to source. Seems like only IceWarehouse has a page for them and they're only taking pre-orders for Nov.15. 

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_Game_On/descpage-CGOMV.html 

Has anyone been able to find these for sale online? If not, has anyone found a good comparable product that can be used for visors?

Just looking at the pictures, for a half shield I think I'd just wear the UA mask.  I don't see any particular advantage to the CCM half-shield setup.

Mark

• Like 1

What’s nice about the CCM mask that attaches to your cage is that is create space by your cheeks, so it’s easier to breath but still creates that physical barrier. The fact that the visor one attaches to the helmet near your ears and to your chin strap, makes me assume that it will perform and function like a normal mask with ear loops. In the photos it’s just as close to the face as a normal mask. Plus, you’d have to undo both snaps on the helmet to drink. 
Those CCM masks are THICK material. I can’t imagine skating/playing with it directly against my mouth and nose. 

—-

With the normal cage mask, I accidentally put in on backwards/inside out for two games, and I like it better because the internal seem and Velcro is now on the outside.

• Like 1

I played with the CCM Game On for the first time yesterday. it blows the Bauer splash guard away. I has zero fogging issues and found it comfortable to wear. I am wearing mine with the CCM full shield. not the biggest fan of that but only because I'm a Bauer cage wearer. I don't feel great about skating with the cage right now though because at least the visor offers some protection from droplets entering through my eyes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shoeshine boy said:

I played with the CCM Game On for the first time yesterday. it blows the Bauer splash guard away. I has zero fogging issues and found it comfortable to wear. I am wearing mine with the CCM full shield. not the biggest fan of that but only because I'm a Bauer cage wearer. I don't feel great about skating with the cage right now though because at least the visor offers some protection from droplets entering through my eyes. 

glad you liked it.  and a smart move IMHO.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:36 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I was specifically talking about having yet another thread devolve into offtopic discussion, this time about mask effectiveness in general, instead of talking about the specific products the thread is about. I'm completely with you though that it's important. You're preaching to the choir here - nothing drives me nuts more than the people who suggest cloth masks don't do anything. Even worse are the ones who cite the size of the physical virus itself, as if they're just free floating in the air and not carried by the droplets from sneezing or coughing (or breathing heavily like in sports). Basically from a moderation perspective, what I'm looking to avoid generally is where somebody goes to a thread looking for some information and has to sift through pages of off-topic or only barely relevant discussion. Use the TF7/TF9 thread as an example.

100% we should be comparing effectiveness on these products! And I agree - something is better than nothing. Whatever you can do to lower your risk even by just a small amount if worth considering.

I don't consider the effectiveness of a piece of protective equipment off topic. Given what these products are protecting you from, the effectiveness should be the ONLY thing being talked about.

But hey, wag away

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I don't consider the effectiveness of a piece of protective equipment off topic. Given what these products are protecting you from, the effectiveness should be the ONLY thing being talked about.

But hey, wag away

You missed the point. 

I bought both, as well as the shock doctor mask. I got the bauer splash in the wrong size so couldn't actually try it, but I wasn't impressed when I got it up to my face shield. the ccm mask is vastly superior to the shock doctor; it's the one i'll be sticking with.

The shock doctor is viable if you were just using a visor. I didn't mind it too much. 

Just had a practice with the CCM game on mask over my CCM FV-1. It was a bit uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose but I think I can adjust it.

Zero fog issues (although I wasn't as skating as hard as I would during a game), if anything it seems like it directs the fog down.

I wish California would just mandate the use of something like the CCM mask for youth hockey and open up rinks/games, instead of having parents go way out of state to play hockey, unprotected...

22 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

I wish California would just mandate the use of something like the CCM mask for youth hockey and open up rinks/games, instead of having parents go way out of state to play hockey, unprotected...

Skatetown in Roseville started up beer leagues a month or ago.  

Just picked up a couple of CCM masks for my kid's helmets for roller hockey since we just started back up the other week.  My daughter wears glasses and was having fog issues with a regular mask so I'm hoping this will help her out, so far it seems to sit nicely on her face and appears that it will allow air out the sides towards the back better as to not fog the glasses as much.  My son's cage doesn't play well with the mask... he has a CCM FM40 mask with the attached chin cup (like the old Jofa style, non floating) and the mask doesn't wrap around it well... my solution was to just order a new cage for him that has a floating chin cup so now I'm waiting on that.  I bought one for myself too so whenever I can get back on the ice I'll be all set. 

• Like 2