Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Face Shield vs CCM Mask

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Just picked up a couple of CCM masks for my kid's helmets for roller hockey since we just started back up the other week.  My daughter wears glasses and was having fog issues with a regular mask so I'm hoping this will help her out, so far it seems to sit nicely on her face and appears that it will allow air out the sides towards the back better as to not fog the glasses as much.  My son's cage doesn't play well with the mask... he has a CCM FM40 mask with the attached chin cup (like the old Jofa style, non floating) and the mask doesn't wrap around it well... my solution was to just order a new cage for him that has a floating chin cup so now I'm waiting on that.  I bought one for myself too so whenever I can get back on the ice I'll be all set. 

Good move bro!!   Let's do this hockey thing soon!!

• Like 1

Tried my UA mask with my helmet (w/ cage) the other night.  It was comfortable, didn't interfere physically or optically, didn't have to adjust the helmet, easy to move out of the way to drink...very pleased.  I much prefer the mask staying on my face when I lift the cage.  Do note...imho, the UA mask fits a touch small.

• Like 2

I recently purchased one of those neck gators with the ear loops for the gym. It has some potential for hockey. My only real concern is what happens when it gets wet. 

Has anyone tried the CCM mask on a Bauer titanium cage? How's the fit?

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

I recently purchased one of those neck gators with the ear loops for the gym. It has some potential for hockey. My only real concern is what happens when it gets wet. 

With a lot of the sport gaiters (eg. Mission, which I wear when hiking in the desert) you're actually SUPPOSED to wet it first, so I imagine it wouldn't really be a problem. 

Mission gaiters and sports mask work well while exercising and I have both.  While the Bauer bubble plus splash guard along with the CCM masks are better than nothing, I personally would go gaiter/sports masks if some sort of mandate comes out where I normally play.

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

I use that same style gaiter coaching. It gets wet but doesn't seem to effect use. 

My son is using the CCM mask with a REACT cage- no issues. 

On 10/30/2020 at 1:00 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Maybe it means “non-returnable?”

im sure they don’t want people ordering these, trying them on and sending them back

Yeah that makes sense, I think you're right.

Folks, I finally managed to get my hands on and install the CCM Game On for cages (on my Bauer Profile III) and I suppose I was a bit surprised at how 'open' the bottom and sides are. The mask, although tight against the nose, is not flush against the sides of the face/cheeks like perhaps a conventional non-sport everyday mask.

I can see how this would help ventilation and prevent fogging, but I'm having second thoughts on whether or not I'd be comfortable with how 'exposed' the sides and bottom is. I suppose I didn't look super super closely at images of them on models, so I expected the mask to sit flush against the face.

Not sure where I'm going with this post other than sharing. Has anyone else felt the same? How did you guys get comfortable?

Not looking for debate on the risks, rather if others also noticed the way this mask fits this way.

that’s definitely how it’s designed to fit. 

To me, the level of breathability for any mask is an individual calculated risk. Outside of some sort of ventilator, you can’t have a mask with both great air exchange and maximum coverage/protection. 

Re “getting comfortable”: To me, the fact that it is thick and in front of my mouth and nose, means that it’s hopefully collecting droplets that leave me. And, because the air is coming in/out from those sides, it’s hopefully minimizing the air that I’m breathing directly from someone else. 

• Like 1

That’s the correct fit. Remember: these (and other non-medical grade) masks aren’t meant to necessarily filter the air you breathe in or out so much as just catch droplets. Think of it more as a face shield. 

• Like 1

Our saga continues with my son.  But I think we are narrowing in on what works best for him.

We've tried the Bauer Concept 3 splash guard, CCM Game On mask, and an UnderArmor sports mask.  All with a Bauer Concept 3 bubble.

For him, the best results are the UA mask. 

The splash guard fogged on him and made the visor fog more.

The CCM mask felt too restrictive (maybe we needed to experiment a bit with adjustments, but didn't)

The UA doesn't cause extra fogging and felt less restrictive.  He is also used to it, as he's been wearing them for dryland, warm ups, and with his trainer.  So he knows what to expect when he is putting effort in with the mask on. 

Given some states are now requiring a mask while on ice (we've been proactive in reducing his risk of exposure), I am going to pick up a few more UA masks for him so he can always have a fresh dry one, as he does soak them while playing or working out. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, start_today said:

that’s definitely how it’s designed to fit. 

To me, the level of breathability for any mask is an individual calculated risk. Outside of some sort of ventilator, you can’t have a mask with both great air exchange and maximum coverage/protection. 

Re “getting comfortable”: To me, the fact that it is thick and in front of my mouth and nose, means that it’s hopefully collecting droplets that leave me. And, because the air is coming in/out from those sides, it’s hopefully minimizing the air that I’m breathing directly from someone else. 

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s the correct fit. Remember: these (and other non-medical grade) masks aren’t meant to necessarily filter the air you breathe in or out so much as just catch droplets. Think of it more as a face shield. 

Thank you both! Appreciate sharing the thought process because that helps me calibrate my own.

• Like 1

Just to update, both my son and I have abandoned the CCM masks. It was like trying to breathe through a wetsuit. Using a thin gaiter with earloops. 

I finally got to try out the gaiter I mentioned earlier. The fit was pretty good, no interference or adjustments to the helmet needed. The ear loops held it in place but made it tough to pull down to drink. Breathing wise, it's about what you would expect. The only complaint, it doesn't have a moldable nose piece so it does mess with your vision a little.

https://www.amazon.com/Seamless-Headwear-Protection-Balaclava-Outdoors/dp/B088D68DYH/ref=pd_ybh_a_24?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=JFVF906RNJWWP7K9GKV4&th=1&psc=1

Overall not a bad option and fairly inexpensive compared to the alternatives. 

Massachusetts Hockey updated their "acceptable" face covering for play policy today and states the Bauer splash guard as not meeting CDC guidelines:

What is an approved face covering?

• *This guidance answer was modified as of 11/13/20 at 5 p.m.*
  • While the Commonwealth appreciates the efforts made by various manufacturers to address the reduction of respiratory spray from players, further review of various products has led to clarified guidance indicating that the “plastic shield” style products do not comply with the CDC guidance for face coverings. As such, both the Bauer Concept 3 Splash Guard and the Tektor 1.0 and 2.0 shields are NOT able to be used in lieu of a face covering. The CCM “Game On” mask has been deemed acceptable and can be used to comply with the face covering requirement.

Updated Massachusetts hockey guidance

•  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:32 PM, mojo122 said:

Massachusetts Hockey updated their "acceptable" face covering for play policy today and states the Bauer splash guard as not meeting CDC guidelines:

What is an approved face covering?

• *This guidance answer was modified as of 11/13/20 at 5 p.m.*
  • While the Commonwealth appreciates the efforts made by various manufacturers to address the reduction of respiratory spray from players, further review of various products has led to clarified guidance indicating that the “plastic shield” style products do not comply with the CDC guidance for face coverings. As such, both the Bauer Concept 3 Splash Guard and the Tektor 1.0 and 2.0 shields are NOT able to be used in lieu of a face covering. The CCM “Game On” mask has been deemed acceptable and can be used to comply with the face covering requirement.

Updated Massachusetts hockey guidance

•  

Can't say I am surprised. Good decision IMHO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

PA mask mandate now, have to figure out what works now.  I imagine we are going to go through a lot of iterations as we try different options.

I would bump the UnderArmor or similar (I think Mission also makes a "sports mask") to the top of your list.  They are pricey... but have given us the best results.  I just bought my son 2 more UA masks so he always has a fresh, clean, dry one. 

• Like 1

The only thing I found challenging with the Mission sport mask was recovery breathing on the bench post shift.  I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen in the first minute or so after skating all out.  

Anyone have any comments on gaiter use?

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

I would bump the UnderArmor or similar (I think Mission also makes a "sports mask") to the top of your list.  They are pricey... but have given us the best results.  I just bought my son 2 more UA masks so he always has a fresh, clean, dry one. 

The UA ones are super nice. I haven't seen the Mission ones. Can someone share a link to them? I looked online and couldn't find them. 

21 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

The only thing I found challenging with the Mission sport mask was recovery breathing on the bench post shift.  I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen in the first minute or so after skating all out.  

Anyone have any comments on gaiter use?

Yeah same deal with the gaiter I use. 

6 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The UA ones are super nice. I haven't seen the Mission ones. Can someone share a link to them? I looked online and couldn't find them. 

The Google is your friend - www.mission.com. It's like the first thing that pops up when you search for it.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Yeah same deal with the gaiter I use. 

The Google is your friend - www.mission.com. It's like the first thing that pops up when you search for it.

Didn't know these were the correct ones. I thought they would be Bauer/Mission.