Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Face Shield vs CCM Mask

I got the CCM mask for goalie masks. I’m actually really impressed with it. I still don’t think I’d play right now with how bad it’s gotten, but it’s definitely something I’ll be wearing when I do. 

2C368C26-8340-4839-A2C8-1D3EC4CF61D0.jpeg

56AF47C5-B3A4-4637-9944-85A410CDC341.jpeg

• Like 3

Using the CCM Game on mask with Bauer cage, with glasses it works fine while actively moving, but annoying fog when at rest.  Has me thinking about contacts again to minimize that, but currently a moot point as we've locked down again for 3 weeks. 

I usually wear contacts with no problem, but had to wear glasses last weekend because of an eye issue. Mask was fine around the house, but like you said, fogged real bad on the bench to the point where I took off the glasses. I couldn’t find a way to situate them to decrease fog. 

On 11/26/2020 at 1:45 PM, mojo122 said:

Has anyone tried the CCM version for the visor?  

I have the CCM visor. I feel like it's got solid optics. I'll go back to my cage when this insanity is over but for now I can live with this.

23 hours ago, shoeshine boy said:

I have the CCM visor. I feel like it's got solid optics. I'll go back to my cage when this insanity is over but for now I can live with this.

Does the visor version sit closer to the chin and sides of your face compared to the cage version?

On 12/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, AIREAYE said:

Does the visor version sit closer to the chin and sides of your face compared to the cage version?

hard to say. it's probably a little closer than my cage. I'm wearing the CCM Game On mask with it so everything nose-down is just mask.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, shoeshine boy said:

hard to say. it's probably a little closer than my cage. I'm wearing the CCM Game On mask with it so everything nose-down is just mask.

Hah sorry I misread your previous post. I thought you were referencing the visor version of the CCM Game On Mask, so my question was did you think the visor version of the Game On sits closer than the cage version?

On 12/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, AIREAYE said:

Hah sorry I misread your previous post. I thought you were referencing the visor version of the CCM Game On Mask, so my question was did you think the visor version of the Game On sits closer than the cage version?

I wear the CCM mask with a full visor. this mask can be work with full visor or a cage. I would imagine that the half visor version sits right up on your face.

• Like 1

So I wore a helmet w/ a half shield today, and I had my UA mask on as well, and the visor just kept fogging and condensing.  Had to constantly wipe it.  Any ideas of how to help with this issue?  Would wearing a different type of mask help, since the UA mask allows more "breathability" from the nose area?  The UA mask works great when wearing a cage, but with a visor, having issues.

I've worn a Bauer face mask, Mission sports mask, and mission gaiter with a half shield.  No issue with fogging but have the same condensation issue.  My guess it's the result of breathing harder through the various fabrics.  Condensation is less with the gaiter yet I feel safer with the masks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

I've worn a Bauer face mask, Mission sports mask, and mission gaiter with a half shield.  No issue with fogging but have the same condensation issue.  My guess it's the result of breathing harder through the various fabrics.  Condensation is less with the gaiter yet I feel safer with the masks.

Yeah.  You're right....it's not a fogging issue.  It's definitely a condensation issue.  I suspect one of the pros to the UA mask is that it's more breathable, cause it has some gaps near the nose, but my exhales escape there and right up into the visor.  I wonder if maybe wearing something tighter along the nose/bridge line would help stop the condensation.  I've noticed players who wear surgical masks and visors don't have any issues, so maybe I'll try one of those next time out.

Just thought I'd revive this topic since Bauer has come out with a mask made to attach to the cage (their take on the CCM one).  My 8yr old son started playing again recently and I just picked up the Bauer for him to try (he'd been wearing a regular mask under the cage and had tried, and not liked, the CCM mask for the cage).  First impressions of the Bauer are that it seems 100x nicer than the CCM... more thought out, better made, nicer material, and better fitting.  The sizing was a little odd but it works for him... basically they have Jr and Sr but the Jr sizes are only for the tiniest cages they make (my son wears a small Profile II and they said Sr was the size so that's what we went with and it fits well, there seems to be enough room with the straps and give that it would fit most faces/cages).  So yea, if anyone is in the market you might want to check these out, I know if/when I'm ready to get back out there I'll probably go with the Bauer option.

My 10 yr old has been back on the ice for a week now that we moved out of lock down.  That would be about 5 hours of ice, skating pretty hard.  He has tried the ccm game on mask, a normal surgical mask, a level 3 mask for more water resistance, and the Bauer rtp mask with filter.  He loves the Bauer one- doesn’t complain at all.  Got some Filti n95 material and have cut some better fitting filters now.  I start back Wednesday and I have one too...can’t wait to try it.

• Like 1

I wish I knew how long we had to keep wearing masks. I assume the CCM is better protection,  it having had COVID, I’m not worried about getting or transmitting it. So, Bauer seems like it provides better breathing. But, CCM is good enough and I can put the $20 I’m saving towards a stupid new purchase that is sexier.